ADVERTISEMENT

Devonte Green

SIhoosier26

All-Big Ten
Sep 9, 2017
I hope tonight proves that he belongs in the starting lineup, hell he might be our best player. I was screaming at my tv to get him in the game early on when FSU went on their run. Once he was in it was like a sigh of relief for the freshman.

For all his faults he has never played scared, he plays with no fear. It's probably his best trait. The freshman need to be on the floor with someone who plays like that, it helps calm them down in games like this.

I hope tonight proves that he belongs in the starting lineup, hell he might be our best player. I was screaming at my tv to get him in the game early on when FSU went on their run. Once he was in it was like a sigh of relief for the freshman.

For all his faults he has never played scared, he plays with no fear. It's probably his best trait. The freshman need to be on the floor with someone who plays like that, it helps calm them down in games like this.
I’m not against him coming off the bench in every game. He gets a chance to see the flow of the game before he gets in. So far it has been working for him.

I hope tonight proves that he belongs in the starting lineup, hell he might be our best player.

For all his faults he has never played scared, he plays with no fear. The freshman need to be on the floor with someone who plays like that, it helps calm them down in games like this.
I disagree. It’s not about age. Franklin and Durham move the ball and get everyone involved. Green plays one on one or two on two basketball. I like Archie’s approach to bring him in as a wild card. If he doesn’t have it one night, you can go back to your full offense.

I’m not against him coming off the bench in every game. He gets a chance to see the flow of the game before he gets in. So far it has been working for him.
The flow of the game was an early 11-4 lead for Florida State, and the lead slowly fading away in the second half. They need him in the game to help settle the other guys down.

I disagree. It’s not about age. Franklin and Durham move the ball and get everyone involved. Green plays one on one or two on two basketball. I like Archie’s approach to bring him in as a wild card. If he doesn’t have it one night, you can go back to your full offense.
I'm much more comfortable right now with Devonte dribbling it up the floor than I am with a true frosh in Franklin. The team plays much better offensively when they have a guard that can create his own shot. Franklin played really well and he's improving but he's not their yet.

To add on, I just read a stat that 27 of FSU's 64 points were before the first tv timeout of each half. We can't have that against the top teams in the Big10, Devonte needs to be on the floor.

I'm on board #freeDevonte

I'm much more comfortable right now with Devonte dribbling it up the floor than I am with a true frosh in Franklin. The team plays much better offensively when they have a guard that can create his own shot. Franklin played really well and he's improving but he's not their yet.
If you emphasize Green in the offense, you get more Green offense. Franklin plays team basketball. It’s apples to oranges. Tonight it worked, but I don’t think Archie wants all his chips on Green’s creativity.

If you emphasize Green in the offense, you get more Green offense. Franklin plays team basketball. It’s apples to oranges. Tonight it worked, but I don’t think Archie wants all his chips on Green’s creativity.
Read my prior post, the stats don't lie. The team plays much better with Devonte on the floor

Reactions: limestonecowboy

Pretty much agree with everything you've said in this thread and was saying the same thing out loud about getting Green into the Game early on. No one moves the ball up the Court better or creates as many opportunities in doing so - his TOs mostly come from trying to force entry passes when the lane is congested, not from getting stripped or fumbling the Ball.

Nice point about FSU getting most of their scoring early in the halves.

Amazing thing was definitely IU's Defense - the switching was at times so fluid and seamless as to be suffocating for FSU. Good to see and great to hear the crowd pick up on it every time the shot clock hit ten seconds. Perhaps even more remarkable was that the D didn't really drop off after the opening lapse once IU started in with the heavy substitutions - even when all five starters were on the Bench.

IU played like a TEAM tonight. Could be a sweet Season.

And if he wasn't on, he'd be sitting on the bench and we would've lost anyway. Proven by the struggles in each half before we got him into the game.
It’s not a guarantee that we would have lost had Green failed to get going last night. Say he misses his first five shots and turns it over twice. Archie benches him and he only plays 15 minutes. The strategy would have changed to emphasize TJD, Druham, Smith. It would have been a close game, but since we played defense we had other paths to winning. That’s how Archie wants to use Green rather than live and die by his mood for that day.

Reactions: MrBing and ufo33
It’s not a guarantee that we would have lost had Green failed to get going last night. Say he misses his first five shots and turns it over twice. Archie benches him and he only plays 15 minutes. The strategy would have changed to emphasize TJD, Druham, Smith. It would have been a close game, but since we played defense we had other paths to winning. That’s how Archie wants to use Green rather than live and die by his mood for that day.
Well our strategy without him in the game resulted in a 11-4 lead for Florida state and a big Florida State run to begin the second half. Green’s play last night was a HUGE reason we won the game, that’s a fact. I would rather not watch us fall behind before we get him in the game.

Well our strategy without him in the game resulted in a 11-4 lead for Florida state and a big Florida State run to begin the second half. Green’s play last night was a HUGE reason we won the game, that’s a fact. I would rather not watch us fall behind before we get him in the game.
While I agree Green was a big factor, there were other reasons we were able to adjust to those runs. Coaching.

Good coaches still need good players to beat good teams. We might just have to agree to disagree on this.
14f1z3.jpg

Reactions: SIhoosier26
To add on, I just read a stat that 27 of FSU's 64 points were before the first tv timeout of each half. We can't have that against the top teams in the Big10, Devonte needs to be on the floor.

The only stat that I care about is this one; when Green comes off the bench IU is 8-0. Nuff said.

Devonte Green is a two cycle engine.... not always dependable, maybe a little tough to fire up at times, but when he gets going he can really get the job done.

Read my prior post, the stats don't lie. The team plays much better with Devonte on the floor

...for that one game.

"Stats" for 1 game really don't project at all. Green is looking great so far and I trust Archie to use him as he sees fit. The 11-4 start also happened when their big guy was on the floor, and their spurt to start the 2nd half was largely based around them making 3 quick threes. Green not being in the game was not the only factor.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Green is IU's best player. Doesn't matter if he starts or not, he's our best scorer, an outstanding defender and most creative passer.

Everybody has nights when they're on and nights when they're off.

Armaan is a nice freshman player with really good upside. He isn't a threat WHATSOEVER from the outside.

If he's asked to do a Rob Phinisee impression, it should work for awhile.

There was a great story about Green last year with comments from his dad. His dad mentioned that Devonte needed someone to have unconditional faith in him. I saw him play differently in the NIT. He didn't have to gain approval with Romeo out. He knew he was the man. He could let the shots come to him and didn't have to force anything or prove himself.

I could see him pop up in the NBA and be a pro that got better every year as a backup.

I agree with you but, right now Al and Brunk are liabilities on defense and last night they were even worse than normal.

Green carried us offensively but it was the lineups that had TJD in the post along with a combination of Race, Smith, Hunter and Damezi with Franklin and Green that completely shut them down defensively and rebounded at a high level.

One of my favorite plays was Race Thompson gooning it up, leaping and tipping a 50/50 rebound, winning it while accidentally elbowing the player in the noggin.

That's what a goon does. Battles and bangs around violently.

Somewhere Steve Risley is smiling.

Man you ppl are so irrational at times.

"OhMuhGawd we suck at 7& 0 bc weve played nothing but cupcakes!"

"OhmuhGAWD we are more physically and mentally tough than FSU bc we beat them at home"

" OHmuhGAWD Green is this teams best player and holy grail bc he put up 30 points.. A new once in a "career" high...this one single game...against fsu.

Green is IU's best player. Doesn't matter if he starts or not, he's our best scorer, an outstanding defender and most creative passer.

Armaan is a nice freshman player with really good upside. He isn't a threat WHATSOEVER from the outside.

I enjoyed watching Archie's teams at Dayton and I loved watching Scoochie Smith play. I've always thought the best case scenario with Green was that Archie turns him into a Scoochie Smith. Getting there.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Wrong

Devonte is our best shooter, scorer and the best at creating his own shot. He's also an outstanding defensive player. Yeah, he's the best we have.

Creative? Sure. Great? No
He turns it over a lot passing as well.

Devonte can get loose with the ball but MANY of the turnovers he has had in the pass were due to IU players (especially bigs) being unable to catch.

Correct

Yep.

How do you know?

Its not like he has the green light to shoot 2 or let alone 3 jumpers a game...

I have working eyes. Down the road, the kid may become a knockdown shooter. Right now, his shot has a loooooooong way to go. I mean....you may want to spend some time watching Armaan take jumpers. Form looks good overall but it lacks touch. By a lot. Bricks are plentiful.

Devonte may not be the most talented long term player on the team (TJD), but he is clearly the LEADER (Justin Smith has made huge strides in leadership).

Not only the leader, but clearly the spark plug that makes the engine go, the only real player with a legit chance to get 25 points on any given night (TJD is more 15-20 potential)

He has grown immensely over last season. He has the best chance to be our “Carsen Edwards” this season. And for the naysayers, this isnt DG first good game of the season. The man has been a STUD last few games.

In Devonte we trust, he should have a HUGE SEASON, especially in the B1G. Calling First team All B1G now.

IU needs Rob back.

Reactions: stollcpa

Don't agree with the first sentence. Most people seem to get caught up in offense only, and he may be our most important player at times; since he is the best outside shooter which is a skill we are lacking in otherwise, but honestly I already think TJD is our best player. Consistently good, consistently scores the ball, defends, block shots, anchors the paint and rebounds well. Were RP back and healthy, it might push Green to 3rd or even 4th best in my mind (I've been a big JS critic, but he's so much better this year, imo). If you take away the FSU game, DG's stats for the season drop dramatically, but even with it TJD is averaging basically the same ppg, a much higher FG%, FT%, 9 rpg, etc... Reigning in TO's would be a huge positive for DG. He's much better this year, but still had 4 vs FSU, leading the team. Is that what you mean by "creative"?

I must admit I was surprised that AD shot the FTs after the technical and not DG. I do feel most comfortable with him at the FT line and AD was having an off night. If we can master our shooting, this team will be really tough to beat!

Disaster will strike, similar to last year, if Phinisee doesn’t return soon.

The FSU game would stand as a piece of evidence contradicting your assertion that "disaster will strike"...I do agree with you the Phinisee's ball handling and defense were both sorely missed...and will be surely missed should he not return. I'd go so far as to say that not having RP back makes the schedule a harder climb...but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say disaster...

ADVERTISEMENT