ADVERTISEMENT

Development over the next few years of an OL that would keep me smiling

Tokyo Steve

Junior
Sep 5, 2001

1. Now that we are certain that Powell has been granted a sixth year, meaning he will also be on the 2021 roster, I would like to see him play center and keep Crider at guard. I know that’s not the common projection, but that’s what I’d like to see because
  • ·my impression is that Powell is the more natural leader, vocally and otherwise,
  • I think Knight is the heir apparent at center . . . eventually . . . but I would rather have him redshirt this year and back up Powell next year, and
  • I’d prefer that Penix not have to develop chemistry with another new center in 2021 after Crider graduates.
2. I’d like to see Bedford and Jones swap sides, because I’d be more comfortable with Bedford’s quickness over Jones’s size protecting Penix’s blind side.

3. I’d like to see Katic start at right guard, because the coaches say he’s ready and it sure would be fun to watch a continuously solidifying chemistry between him and Bedford wreaking havoc in the B1G East over the next two or three years.

4. I’d like to see Benson get his feet wet at guard this year, because I don’t think he will supplant either Jones or Bedford at tackle and I would like to see him take over left guard for Crider in 2021, before possibly switching to tackle in 2022 after Jones graduates. Oh, and if/when Benson moves to tackle, Feeney is going to be right there to take over the open guard spot. I can envision him becoming an absolute beast who not only breaks Wes Martin’s records in the weight room but also brings a bit more nastiness to the field.

5. I also think that Rafferty, Beery, Bradberry and Weaver will provide solid depth . . . and maybe Marozas, too, if he can ever get healthy.

6. And bring the other young guys along gradually.

Last edited:
Assuming good health, the 2021 OL projects to be really good.

LT - Jones (RS-SR)
LG - Not sure if it'll be a younger player stepping up or a SR getting the spot in his last year.
C - Powell (RS-SR)
RG - Katic (RS- SO)
RT - Bedford (JR)

And also assuming no one leaves early, you're looking at a stacked 2021 backfield with Penix (RS-JR) & Stevie & Sampson (SR & JR).

And you've got UM, OSU, & Minn. all at home. Shouldn't look past 2020, but these two seasons are going to be critical for long-term success.

Really like Fiacable ,get Sales and annual late south recruit would really round out 2021 class.Feeney and Katic guards of the future both should be solid.Powell at center for next 2 years great idea.Hope Knight develops but guess either Katic or Feeney moved there.Allen and Hiller are really building something now and into future SSH at Indiana.

IU's OL is an unproven commodity this season but they do have talented players to fill the spots and mesh together to become a formidable group.
Step was one of my top 3 favorites on last year's team and is a huge loss. Cronk is another big loss of course but to the extent we could get "lucky" losing a 4 year starter, at least that led to Bedford getting loads of experience.

But Jones, Bedford, & Crider are pretty good foundation. I DO wish we had some more intel on exactly what Powell will be able to bring to the table, but I'm please with where we're starting from.

1. Now that we are certain that Powell has been granted a sixth year, meaning he will also be on the 2021 roster, I would like to see him play center and keep Crider at guard. I know that’s not the common projection, but that’s what I’d like to see because
  • ·my impression is that Powell is the more natural leader, vocally and otherwise,
  • I think Knight is the heir apparent at center . . . eventually . . . but I would rather have him redshirt this year and back up Powell next year, and
  • I’d prefer that Penix not have to develop chemistry with another new center in 2021 after Crider graduates.
2. I’d like to see Bedford and Jones swap sides, because I’d be more comfortable with Bedford’s quickness over Jones’s size protecting Penix’s blind side.

3. I’d like to see Katic start at right guard, because the coaches say he’s ready and it sure would be fun to watch a continuously solidifying chemistry between him and Bedford wreaking havoc in the B1G East over the next two or three years.

4. I’d like to see Benson get his feet wet at guard this year, because I don’t think he will supplant either Jones or Bedford at tackle and I would like to see him take over left guard for Crider in 2021, before possibly switching to tackle in 2022 after Jones graduates. Oh, and if/when Benson moves to tackle, Feeney is going to be right there to take over the open guard spot. I can envision him becoming an absolute beast who not only breaks Wes Martin’s records in the weight room but also brings a bit more nastiness to the field.

5. I also think that Rafferty, Beery, Bradberry and Weaver will provide solid depth . . . and maybe Marozas, too, if he can ever get healthy.

Like our OL for next season. My biggest concern is a lack of depth at OT position. I know it's the toughest position to recruit but we need to get more bodies recruited with that position in mind. If it were not for Bedford we would have been in deep sh-- last year.

Like our OL for next season. My biggest concern is a lack of depth at OT position. I know it's the toughest position to recruit but we need to get more bodies recruited with that position in mind. If it were not for Bedford we would have been in deep sh-- last year.
VERY VERY deep.

I don't think he'll get the weight on this year, but I like Haggard as a chance to get an athletic tackle next year, if only as a backup. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Katic on the 2 deep across the line this year.

Here is tape from end of 2018 season at Stanford on Powell.

QUOTE="TMFT, post: 2967047, member: 64859"]Step was one of my top 3 favorites on last year's team and is a huge loss. Cronk is another big loss of course but to the extent we could get "lucky" losing a 4 year starter, at least that led to Bedford getting loads of experience.

But Jones, Bedford, & Crider are pretty good foundation. I DO wish we had some more intel on exactly what Powell will be able to bring to the table, but I'm please with where we're starting from.[/QUOTE]

Obviously these guys will be able to move teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue backwards. I want to see our O-Line start to really push Wisconsin, Michigan and PSU around. I would say OSU, but I’m not that delusional.

I completely agree. The biggest thing I wanted to see this past spring was a development of a 2nd team OL unit, but obviously that's going to have to wait until Fall camp now. We really need a swing tackle to develop that can spell both sides. Baker was adequate at that last year, but hopefully we can find one this season that is a little bit better. Maybe that's Rafferty or maybe that's Beery where it's been discussed of moving him outside and have guard playing abilities too. Bradberry is another one to watch at that spot also. I've heard really good things about him, but he's an absolute unknown at this point. I feel a little better inside on that second team with Norwah and Beery and O'Conner, but man, we gotta figure out those tackle spots!

I think you are going to get your wish on moving Benson to RT to cover Penix's blindside, but knowing that both Jones and Bedford can play both sides is a nice options too. Benson is also my preferred choice as he's athletic enough to play any position if needed.

At this point, the first team OL should be as follows:
Jones at LT
Powell at LG
Crider at C
Katic at RG
Benson at RT

Sound be fun to watch this group gel and what the depth fall into place during fall camp. Nice to have a very solid and experienced group for once with the only true unknown being Katic.

Really like Fiacable ,get Sales and annual late south recruit would really round out 2021 class.Feeney and Katic guards of the future both should be solid.Powell at center for next 2 years great idea.Hope Knight develops but guess either Katic or Feeney moved there.Allen and Hiller are really building something now and into future SSH at Indiana.
Landing Sales opens the opportunity, in my mind, to be extremely flexible with that 3rd and final OL spot.
Here is tape from end of 2018 season at Stanford on Powell.

QUOTE="TMFT, post: 2967047, member: 64859"]Step was one of my top 3 favorites on last year's team and is a huge loss. Cronk is another big loss of course but to the extent we could get "lucky" losing a 4 year starter, at least that led to Bedford getting loads of experience.

But Jones, Bedford, & Crider are pretty good foundation. I DO wish we had some more intel on exactly what Powell will be able to bring to the table, but I'm please with where we're starting from.
[/QUOTE]
On Powell, the word I got on him is he's very smart and a real technician at the position. Held his own and played a lot of snaps at Stanford. He's more athletic than big, so he uses that quickness to his advantage when moving people around. He's versatile and can play all over the interior of the line, which is nice, which is nice because if Crider fits best at guard, then Powell can play Center. Came highly recommended from Stanford coaching staff.

I completely agree. The biggest thing I wanted to see this past spring was a development of a 2nd team OL unit, but obviously that's going to have to wait until Fall camp now. We really need a swing tackle to develop that can spell both sides. Baker was adequate at that last year, but hopefully we can find one this season that is a little bit better. Maybe that's Rafferty or maybe that's Beery where it's been discussed of moving him outside and have guard playing abilities too. Bradberry is another one to watch at that spot also. I've heard really good things about him, but he's an absolute unknown at this point. I feel a little better inside on that second team with Norwah and Beery and O'Conner, but man, we gotta figure out those tackle spots!

I think you are going to get your wish on moving Benson to RT to cover Penix's blindside, but knowing that both Jones and Bedford can play both sides is a nice options too. Benson is also my preferred choice as he's athletic enough to play any position if needed.

At this point, the first team OL should be as follows:
Jones at LT
Powell at LG
Crider at C
Katic at RG
Benson at RT

Sound be fun to watch this group gel and what the depth fall into place during fall camp. Nice to have a very solid and experienced group for once with the only true unknown being Katic.
Do you mean Bedford at RT?

With all the starts Crider had at LG last year, wouldn't switching him to RG to stay next to Bedford make sense? I played guard (poorly) in high school, and always felt that building that chemistry with my OT went a long way.

On the other hand, if it is someone like Katic that plays next to Bedford, that's probably 3 years of a stable right side of the line, which is pretty attractive.

There is also Nworah returning as the 5th year Senior. An interior with Norwah, Powell and Crider is a very seasoned group.

Thought Nworah held his own against Nebraska when filling in for Simon, but appeared to be over matched in the bowl game. Maybe the Volunteer's talented DL had something to do with that. If Katic and Nworah are similar in their practice performance, I could foresee Coach Hiller giving the nod to the more experienced player.

There is also Nworah returning as the 5th year Senior. An interior with Norwah, Powell and Crider is a very seasoned group.

Thought Nworah held his own against Nebraska when filling in for Simon, but appeared to be over matched in the bowl game. Maybe the Volunteer's talented DL had something to do with that. If Katic and Nworah are similar in their practice performance, I could foresee Coach Hiller giving the nod to the more experienced player.
Or If all equal, then saying time to develop the younger player for the long haul?

Or If all equal, then saying time to develop the younger player for the long haul?
Under similar circumstances, Katic is likely to see more growth than Nworah between game one and game five. Most of Nworah’s growth is behind him.
Because game one is Wisky, I could see going with Nworah . . . to start. But I would sure like to see Katic get a good taste of that trench warfare with Wisconsin.

My friends who coach in HS would say that if a SR was even with a FR that they'd play the FR because the ceiling would be a lot higher. Not sure if that would translate to college, but I suspect it might.

My friends who coach in HS would say that if a SR was even with a FR that they'd play the FR because the ceiling would be a lot higher. Not sure if that would translate to college, but I suspect it might.

The other side of that coin is that if the SR has done everything asked of him and stuck it here out when he could have easily transferred (and with some decent game tape in the books this Fall might just have a shot at the NFL) in my book he (the SR) gets the start if he's even with the FR...

Every spot on the OL is going to need to be two deep... If a FR is good enough to play he'll see his Reps over the course of the season (in my opinion)...

The other side of that coin is that if the SR has done everything asked of him and stuck it here out when he could have easily transferred (and with some decent game tape in the books this Fall might just have a shot at the NFL) in my book he (the SR) gets the start if he's even with the FR...

Every spot on the OL is going to need to be two deep... If a FR is good enough to play he'll see his Reps over the course of the season (in my opinion)...

In my opinion depth will be extremely important this upcoming season due to possibility of positive Covid-19 infections in addition to normal football injuries.. Two deep or even three deep may come into play. I'm still not convinced there will be a season but I'm hopeful.

ADVERTISEMENT