ADVERTISEMENT

Development on the Chloroquine front...

more info out today

details in this blog post: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-enough-already

This morning brings this paper from The Lancet. It’s a retrospective look at registered patients across 671 hospitals around the world, and it covers four patient groups: treatment with chloroquine, chloroquine plus a macrolide antibiotic (azithromycin, doxycycline), hydroxychloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine with a macrolide. All of these patients were started on these treatment regimens within 48 hours of diagnosis. The study specifically excludes those patients whose treatment started later, anyone whose therapy was started while they were on mechanical ventilation, or anyone received remdesivir as well. Early treatment in less severe patients only, in other words.

The mortality in the control group was 9.3%. The mortality in the chloroquine group was 16.4%. The mortality in the chloroquine plus macrolide group was 22.2%. The mortality in the hydroxychloroquine group was 18%. And the mortality in the hydroxychloroquine plus macrolide group was 23.8%.

Let’s look at cardiac arrhythmia. The 0.3% of the control group developed new arrhythmias during their hospitalization. But 4.3% of the chloroquine treatment group did. And 6.5% of the chloroquine plus macrolide group. As did 6.1% of the hydroxychloroquine group. And 8.1% of the hydroxychlorquine plus macrolide group.

There was no evidence whatsoever of any benefit with any of these treatment regimes.

There was significant evidence of harm.

In other news, a May 11 preprint from France that had claimed benefit for the combination was just withdrawn by the authors, who say that they are revising the manuscript.

It.
Doesn't.
Work,
Unfortunately.

"What do you have to lose? "

Fecking moron from hell running this country.

It is arguably standard-of-care for pneumonia, though, so the logic as i understand it is that it can thwart the secondary bacterial infection, which can amplify the inflammatory response post COVID19 infection.
I was talking about the combos being used in covid. As far as I know hospital acquired pneumonia would still be treated using standard algorithms

This was NOT a trial.
It was a stat analysis. The article was just an opinion of that analysis, but the net result is that a possible solution has been politicized to the point that people dont want to be associated with HCQ, whether it works or not.

It was a stat analysis. The article was just an opinion of that analysis, but the net result is that a possible solution has been politicized to the point that people dont want to be associated with HCQ, whether it works or not.

I agree. I remember one of the studies had 1000mg of HCQ vs. another one with 250mg. That's a huge difference and the post-mortem analysis did nothing to investigate those impacts. If a drug has known QT prolongation side effects, that type of dosage difference could be significant.

the net result is that the preponderance of the now-available evidence suggests that, unfortunately, this potential treatment does. not. work.

It has indeed been politicized to the point that certain people cling to this false hope with a religious-like fervor, abandoning all logic in the process.

Reactions: UncleMark
the net result is that the preponderance of the now-available evidence suggests that, unfortunately, this potential treatment does. not. work.

It has indeed been politicized to the point that certain people cling to this false hope with a religious-like fervor, abandoning all logic in the process.
Science is reliable, but scientists aren't. The opinion piece you cited is not a conclusion based on a preponderance of any evidence. It does burst the bubbles of people who hope an inexpensive and readily available treatment could be implemented that would allow the world to start spinning again at normal speed.

The remaining studies when concluded might very well confirm what your link says. I, for one, hope they don't.

What you really mean is that you expect to have preferential treatment - privilege - for your religious beliefs and want to assert that privilege.

The fact is that Christianity has always understood that Christians will be persecuted for their beliefs. (see Acts and most of Paul's letters, particularly 2 Timothy 3:12) It's not something to use as a sword against others, but rather to use as a preparation - an internal strengthening - so that one is ready for the persecutions, ready to forgive those who persecute you, and ready to heal by having faith in Jesus.

Is that where you are? If not, I would invite you to do a little reflection about where you are in your faith . . . .
It was not personal at all. It was a serious statement that I recall denigration of ANYONE's religious beliefs as bening prohibited here. The rest of your post is gratuitous. Should that rule be enforced or not?

It was not personal at all. It was a serious statement that I recall denigration of ANYONE's religious beliefs as bening prohibited here. The rest of your post is gratuitous. Should that rule be enforced or not?
I'm not aware of that being a rule.

You started the "anything goes" posting here, Ladoga, years ago under Buzz.

Sow the wind . . . here's just a bit of your whirlwind . . . .

Why would a personal choice be off limits when people have no problems saying racist crap on this board?

please inform the Indians that they have been duped

https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-...ransmission/story-OLcIsC5PZSZTLjXWGoyf8M.html

Even as medical journal The Lancet published a paper on Friday saying there were no confirmed benefits of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) being given to Covid-19 patients, the Union health ministry issued an advisory expanding the pool of people to be given the medicine as a prophylactic to prevent them from contracting the infection.

“The Joint Monitoring Group and National Task Force have now recommended the prophylactic use of HCQ in the following categories: a) all asymptomatic healthcare workers involved in containment and treatment of Covid-19 and asymptomatic healthcare workers working in non-covid hospitals/non-covid areas of covid hospitals/blocks; b) Asymptomatic frontline workers, such as surveillance workers deployed in containment zones and paramilitary/police personnel involved in Covid-19 related activities; and c) Asymptomatic household contacts of laboratory confirmed cases,” the advisory said

Reactions: HillzHoozier

It's not a rule, and never has been. The last time Ladoga whined about it, I was still a regular mod, and I offered him the consequences of it being a rule, i.e., that we'd have to enforce the etiquette of each and every religion, which meant that no one could take the Lord's name in vain, and in exchange, everyone, including Ladoga, would have to append "(PBUH)" whenever they mentioned Muhammad. Ladoga was silent on the issue after that.

It's not a rule, and never has been. The last time Ladoga whined about it, I was still a regular mod, and I offered him the consequences of it being a rule, i.e., that we'd have to enforce the etiquette of each and every religion, which meant that no one could take the Lord's name in vain, and in exchange, everyone, including Ladoga, would have to append "(PBUH)" whenever they mentioned Muhammad. Ladoga was silent on the issue after that.
Thanks Goat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT