Desperation (Slightly OT)

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
University of Texas Football Coaches:
Charlie Strong - 3 seasons
Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

I know some of you think continual hiring/firing of coaches is somehow a sign of "goodness" of a program because it represents high expectations. Texas has now hired its third coach in eight years and this guy is five years removed from being so drunk / potentially drugged that he wasn't showing up for practice and was embarrassing himself at booster events.

It doesn't represent "high expectations"; it represents desperation on the part of a once-proud program.

Please draw the parallels as you throw around names like Bruce Pearl, Rick Pitino, etc

I don’t like Archie. But I also don’t know who we’d get to replace him. It might be best to just sit on our hands for a while.

Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

I know some of you think continual hiring/firing of coaches is somehow a sign of "goodness" of a program because it represents high expectations. Texas has now hired its third coach in eight years and this guy is five years removed from being so drunk / potentially drugged that he wasn't showing up for practice and was embarrassing himself at booster events.

It doesn't represent "high expectations"; it represents desperation on the part of a once-proud program.

Please draw the parallels as you throw around names like Bruce Pearl, Rick Pitino, etc
These are fair points you have shared. However, it really is a moot point when it comes to Archie. He is going to be at IU for at least a couple more seasons. I know most posters on this forum are frustrated with the pace of improvement under CAM’s watch. But, I believe the powers that be are going to let the CAM tenure ride for awhile.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

I would give a very large donation if IU hired Ricky P tomorrow. Texas cares about winning football games, not how drunk Sark got 5 years ago. If he wins football games at Texas no1 will care in the entire nation about what he did 5 years ago, and if he doesnt quickly he will be fired. Texas will get back to a powerhouse of college football sooner or later because they do care about winning very much. I am guessing with this hire.

Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

you just described a program hiring the wrong coaches. Thats a parallel that can be considered.

Turning around a football program is a little different than turning around a basketball program, from a personnel standpoint. You only play 5 at a time in basketball. So, if you ignore all of the defensive and special teams players, looking only at offense in football that would only cover the O-line. One great basketball player can transform and carry a team.

How long should it take to evaluate a coach? Traditionally it’s been 4-5 years, and the reason is pretty evident. That gives the coach time to bring in his kids and get some develop out of them. So, one can see the program being built.

However, it seems to me that players are much more transient these days and it’s going to get worse. Of the six players Miller initially brought in, four are gone. We don’t see a team that is being built to get old and stay old. Last years class was small, with only one player brought in that could play four years. We have, on paper, a solid class of freshman. But, I have no idea if this is a class that will develop together and be foundational over 3-4 years together, or if only one of them will make it to his junior year at IU.

Right now all we have about the future are “what if’s”.

Needing 5 years to judge a coach in this day and age might be too long. Either way, I think a lot depends on this season.

Reactions: Myhurricane
Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

The key is making the correct hire. I have zero faith in the IU admin doing this.

Shake Smart appears to have righted the ship in year 6.

Brian Kelly has things in good standing after Davie, Willingham, and Weiss couldn't get it done at ND.

There are all sorts of examples one way or another.

Indiana needs Trayce back next season. Archie needs him back.

[/QUOTE]
The firing of Herman was about more than his football coaching. He was a good coach and was making progress moving the program in the right direction. However, some people (apparently, influential people) were not happy with him being involved in sensitive social issues that affected the university. I can only guess that they carried some significant weight regarding who coaches football at Texas.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
These are fair points you have shared. However, it really is a moot point when it comes to Archie. He is going to be at IU for at least a couple more seasons. I know most posters on this forum are frustrated with the pace of improvement under CAM’s watch. But, I believe the powers that be are going to let the CAM tenure ride for awhile.

A lot depends on the new president and whether the BOT hires someone who would support returning IUBB to "blue blood" status or is indifferent to it (as McRobbie is).

IU will also be spending the next few years recovering from and adjusting to COVID-19 impacts. Athletics may not be top of their priorities no matter what happens.

Shake Smart appears to have righted the ship in year 6.

Brian Kelly has things in good standing after Davie, Willingham, and Weiss couldn't get it done at ND.

There are all sorts of examples one way or another.

Indiana needs Trayce back next season. Archie needs him back.
Look how many Bama went though before getting Saban as well.

Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

Not only that... his HC record is 45-36.

Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

If you were betting, which program (Texas football or IU basketball) do you think will return to greatness first?

I would go with the desperate Longhorns.

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
Tom Herman - 4 seasons
Steve Sarkisian - New

It’s the signs of high expectations, clear objectives, and deep pockets. Desperation is hanging on to a bad coach for 9 years when it was clear after year 3 he wasn’t the guy. Also, if Archie keeps up this shit sandwich of a season, he should be let go.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
Tom Herman was arrogant and lost the backing of most everyone from big pocketed boosters to ex-players to media to fans. Players were opting out for no apparent reason except for a couple who it made sense to get ready for the NFL. There were seemingly negative comments from current players to recruits not to come. Herman is probably a solid coach going through a learning curve. Recruiting was dying and their prize 2022 QB recruit who like Sam grew up a lifetime Longhorn fan decommitted and flipped to Ohio St. He could see the program getting stale and Herman was losing momentum. The program was no longer progressing. Apparently the AD started learning of these things omore and more over the last month and felt a change was needed.

I feel Archie is a decent coach. He is not arrogant. The program is improving at micro levels each year. They would have likely made the tourney last year. This team looks to be built for next season. Hopefully they can improve as the season progresses and have a decent conference season and make the tourney. If TJD leaves, the momentum may take a hit. It is easy to see why next year is viewed as a make or break year.

This team looks to be built for next season. Hopefully they can improve as the season progresses and have a decent conference season and make the tourney. If TJD leaves, the momentum may take a hit. It is easy to see why next year is viewed as a make or break year.

Curious as to why you think this team was “built” for next season.

To me, this is a team that was built for this season. This was supposed to be this years team:

Durham- returning starter SR
Phin- returning starter JR
Smith -returning starter SR
Brunk-returning starter SR
TJD-returning starter So (but in SR season)

Now, Brunk got hurt, smith left, and covid gave everyone an extra year. Throw in the new transfer rules too.

But, if you are planning, you are staring at a total rebuild next year.

Tom Herman was arrogant and lost the backing of most everyone from big pocketed boosters to ex-players to media to fans. Players were opting out for no apparent reason except for a couple who it made sense to get ready for the NFL. There were seemingly negative comments from current players to recruits not to come. Herman is probably a solid coach going through a learning curve. Recruiting was dying and their prize 2022 QB recruit who like Sam grew up a lifetime Longhorn fan decommitted and flipped to Ohio St. He could see the program getting stale and Herman was losing momentum. The program was no longer progressing. Apparently the AD started learning of these things omore and more over the last month and felt a change was needed.

I feel Archie is a decent coach. He is not arrogant. The program is improving at micro levels each year. They would have likely made the tourney last year. This team looks to be built for next season. Hopefully they can improve as the season progresses and have a decent conference season and make the tourney. If TJD leaves, the momentum may take a hit. It is easy to see why next year is viewed as a make or break year.
I thought Herman was great at Houston and was surprised they fired him this soon.

Curious as to why you think this team was “built” for next season.

To me, this is a team that was built for this season. This was supposed to be this years team:

Durham- returning starter SR
Phin- returning starter JR
Smith -returning starter SR
Brunk-returning starter SR
TJD-returning starter So (but in SR season)

Now, Brunk got hurt, smith left, and covid gave everyone an extra year. Throw in the new transfer rules too.

But, if you are planning, you are staring at a total rebuild next year.
At least I said looks to be built. I agree the loss of Smith and Brunk hurt them and agree with you on that aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT