ADVERTISEMENT

DeRon Davis vlog...

This is pretty great. Features several things, including a tour of Cook Hall, the academic center at the stadium, and the new locker room.

This is amazing. What a personality.

Question. What IU big man do you hope Davis plays like (other than Deron Davis) ? I'm thinking Landon Turner his junior year. Turner kicked butt.

Last edited:

Question. What IU big man do you hope Davis plays like (other than Deron Davis) ? I'm thinking Landon Turner his junior year. Turner kicked butt.
He'll probably be out until at least Jan (nothing official just what I gather from where he's at in rehab) and I doubt he gets to 100 percent until late in the season. He needed conditioning in the worst way as his biggest weaknesses are explosiveness, foot speed and motor. Productive as hell but it kept him from playing 25+. and only 20- per game. I don't expect much out of him this year, a really good role player late in the season. It makes the Fitz pickup a little clearer.

He's no Landon Turner, but if he ever does gain that explosiveness, we'll talk then.

He'll probably be out until at least Jan (nothing official just what I gather from where he's at in rehab) and I doubt he gets to 100 percent until late in the season. He needed conditioning in the worst way as his biggest weaknesses are explosiveness, foot speed and motor. Productive as hell but it kept him from playing 25+. and only 20- per game. I don't expect much out of him this year, a really good role player late in the season. It makes the Fitz pickup a little clearer.

He's no Landon Turner, but if he ever does gain that explosiveness, we'll talk then.
Well, after all, I did say "hope" !

I couldn't think of very many players of similar size to Davis. Davis is not as quick as Dean Garrett or Ray Tolbert or Jeffries or Newton nor as strong as Benson or Walt Bellamy. I hope Davis recovers quickly. As I think about this, I think we would have a horrible season without Morgan. As it now stands, Morgan and Davis are our only two proven big men. We have a decent number of 6'6" and 6'7" players but, since they aren't built like Marco Killingsworth, I think we have to view them as small forwards not big men.

Well, after all, I did say "hope" !

I couldn't think of very many players of similar size to Davis. Davis is not as quick as Dean Garrett or Ray Tolbert or Jeffries or Newton nor as strong as Benson or Walt Bellamy. I hope Davis recovers quickly. As I think about this, I think we would have a horrible season without Morgan. As it now stands, Morgan and Davis are our only two proven big men. We have a decent number of 6'6" and 6'7" players but, since they aren't built like Marco Killingsworth, I think we have to view them as small forwards not big men.
6'11 Fitz, 6'10 Moore, 6'8 Thompson, and 6'9 Forrester are not 3's. Plus, the game has went small. We're fine. Along with Smith it gives us five options to run with Juwan and each (@mike41703) complement him in different ways.. Amazing what good roster construction can do, huh?

Last edited:
6'11 Fitz, 6'10 Moore, 6'8 Thompson, and 6'9 Forrester are not 3's. Plus, the game has went small. We're fine. Along with Smith it gives us five options to run with Juwan and each (@mike41703) complement him in different ways.. Amazing what good roster construction can do, huh?
Fitzner played about 15 minutes per game for St. Mary's. He may well contribute for us in the Big Ten (I hope so) but we don't know for sure.

Thompson and Forrester are 100% unproven as a redshirt and freshman. Moore is 99% unproven as a sophomore.

Morgan and Davis remain the only proven big guys which is what I was saying. But I hope you're right.

Fitzner played about 15 minutes per game for St. Mary's. He may well contribute for us in the Big Ten (I hope so) but we don't know for sure.

Thompson and Forrester are 100% unproven as a redshirt and freshman. Moore is 99% unproven as a sophomore.

Morgan and Davis remain the only proven big guys which is what I was saying. But I hope you're right.
Yea, a lot of teams have new players. Davis only played 18 a game. Romeo is unproven too. Duke has a whole roster of unproven players. Purdue has to replace four starters.

The thing is, the more options you have the greater percentage chance one will step up. We have 4 and only need 1 to get it. The chances of all four disappointing are low.

That's why it's important to build rosters correctly and have those multiple options.

Yea, a lot of teams have new players. Davis only played 18 a game. Romeo is unproven too. Duke has a whole roster of unproven players. Purdue has to replace four starters.

The thing is, the more options you have the greater percentage chance one will step up. We have 4 and only need 1 to get it. The chances of all four disappointing are low.

That's why it's important to build rosters correctly and have those multiple options.
And maybe more than one steps up and surprises. Then the depth looks really good. I feel good for CAMs 2nd year.

Forget about who is he going to play like. The more pressing question is
How long will he be able to stay out of foul trouble.

Archie said recently when giving a breakdown of the team that Davis is only doing stationary drills. It will be a while before they let him run. The vlog shows him working out with weight, but there is no substitute for running and playing on the court just to get into the condition he was in last year.

January sounds like a realistic goal for him to possibly be ready for limited play. Some athletes take up to 2 years to feel fully recovered. I expect he will be very limited whenever he comes back. I'm sure he expects to play, but I'm glad Archie has options, especially Fitzner.

January sounds like a realistic goal for him to possibly be ready for limited play. Some athletes take up to 2 years to feel fully recovered. I expect he will be very limited whenever he comes back. I'm sure he expects to play, but I'm glad Archie has options, especially Fitzner.
Is a redshirt year not the logical thing to do? If he's not 100% (or better than 100% from last year from a stamina/conditioning standpoint), wouldn't it be in both Davis' and the program's best interests to have him sit out and save his eligibility?

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Is a redshirt year not the logical thing to do? If he's not 100% (or better than 100% from last year from a stamina/conditioning standpoint), wouldn't it be in both Davis' and the program's best interests to have him sit out and save his eligibility?
I thought so a few weeks ago, but some didn't like the idea. People must have the ability to look into the future and predict he will have a stellar senior year and be draft-worthy. I personally agree it is better to redshirt and if he comes back stronger, he could test his NBA options. He would have another year to prove himself if he needed it.

Not a response to anything here per se...just do a rudimentary search on the injury...it's a pretty dramatic thing...shoot...red shirt the kid...let him get strong...agents an such may feel differently...I hope he gets well.

Not a response to anything here per se...just do a rudimentary search on the injury...it's a pretty dramatic thing...shoot...red shirt the kid...let him get strong...agents an such may feel differently...I hope he gets well.
People can recover in 6 months, but it is another matter to compete in D1 or the NBA. You probably saw the same reports and studies I saw. One year recovery for athletes with 2 years not being uncommon to return to their full ability

I hope to get more than 10 games out of Davis because that's pretty much all we got out of Turner in 81.

Landon Turner was a McDonald's All-American i believe that blossomed late in the 1981 Big Ten season and then he blew up in the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT