ADVERTISEMENT

Depth, Overall, Going Forward

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
With the updated roster out, looking at the depth overall of the program, going forward, here are my thoughts:

1. We all wanted the interior DL depth situation addressed, and the additions of Sio, Passmore, Person, and Whitner are very encouraging.. After this year, the DL as a whole should be strong, as we only lose Stallings & Everett.

2. At LB we have some talent with Williams & Miller, but we're pretty thin. And our only recruit so far is the Wise kid, who is not highly rated. We also can't afford any injuries there this year.

3. Our DB depth is pretty crazy. So much so that Cam Jones could move to one of the ILB spots w/o us skipping a beat. We added 3 really good true freshmen in Mullen, Tacy & Sanguinetti to J. Johnson, J. Williams, D. Matthews, R. Taylor, C. Jones, J. Burgess, B. Fitzgerald, R. Layne, M. Ball, A. Riggins, K. Bryant & A Brown. All but the last 3 have remaining eligibility after this year.

4. Offensive line remains a concern, even more next year than this year. We need an upgrade in both #s and quality. Last year we got Rafferty & Marozas, this year Bedford & Katic. We've got a couple committed in the 2020 class, but they are projects....This is easily the #1 concern going forward.

5. We also need some depth at TE. Hendershot & Ivy are going to be good, and freshman Cooper looks like a prospect. Just need another good one. We've lost out to Iowa on a couple in the 2020 class. Don't know what chances we have to add one in 2020.

6. QBs & DBs are deep and good, as everyone knows. Only potential glich here is the prospect of at least one of out QB candidates transferring when they lose out on the QB derby.

7. Punters & Kickers. We look set for the future at PK with Campbell & Smolar having one more year after this one. I don't see any other listed punters after Whitehead....would like to see one in the 2020 class.

EDIT---Oops, left off the WRs......Any concerns there are being addressed in the 2020 class with wideouts Williams & slot guy Watley. I think this years trio of Jakes at wideout & Brown & Ellis in the slot have us covered pretty well. We still have Marshall, Hewitt, Whop & Fryfogle for at least one more year. We could still use another stud 6'3" wideout, but it's not essential.....

Last edited:
With the updated roster out, looking at the depth overall of the program, going forward, here are my thoughts:

1. We all wanted the interior DL depth situation addressed, and the additions of Sio, Passmore, Person, and Whitner are very encouraging.. After this year, the DL as a whole should be strong, as we only lose Stallings & Everett.

2. At LB we have some talent with Williams & Miller, but we're pretty thin. And our only recruit so far is the Wise kid, who is not highly rated. We also can't afford any injuries there this year.

3. Our DB depth is pretty crazy. So much so that Cam Jones could move to one of the ILB spots w/o us skipping a beat. We added 3 really good true freshmen in Mullen, Tacy & Sanguinetti to J. Johnson, J. Williams, D. Matthews, R. Taylor, C. Jones, J. Burgess, B. Fitzgerald, R. Layne, M. Ball, A. Riggins, K. Bryant & A Brown. All but the last 3 have remaining eligibility after this year.

4. Offensive line remains a concern, even more next year than this year. We need an upgrade in both #s and quality. Last year we got Rafferty & Marozas, this year Bedford & Katic. We've got a couple committed in the 2020 class, but they are projects....This is easily the #1 concern going forward.

5. We also need some depth at TE. Hendershot & Ivy are going to be good, and freshman Cooper looks like a prospect. Just need another good one. We've lost out to Iowa on a couple in the 2020 class. Don't know what chances we have to add one in 2020.

6. QBs & DBs are deep and good, as everyone knows. Only potential glich here is the prospect of at least one of out QB candidates transferring when they lose out on the QB derby.

7. Punters & Kickers. We look set for the future at PK with Campbell & Smolar having one more year after this one. I don't see any other listed punters after Whitehead....would like to see one in the 2020 class.

I'm not quite as concerned about LB, we only play 2, and while not highly rated coming out of HS, you failed to mention perhaps our best LB in McFadden. He was the best playmaker at the position last year, but because he was still learning the defense, he was susceptible to getting burned from being out of position, limiting his use somewhat. I think with another year under his belt learning the defense, he is going to have a huge year

I'm not quite as concerned about LB, we only play 2, and while not highly rated coming out of HS, you failed to mention perhaps our best LB in McFadden. He was the best playmaker at the position last year, but because he was still learning the defense, he was susceptible to getting burned from being out of position, limiting his use somewhat. I think with another year under his belt learning the defense, he is going to have a huge year

Yes, McFadden did a good job. The true freshman Bonhomme has confidence....I hope he's as good as he thinks he is.....But that's still only 4 for 2 positions (after R. Jones graduates) and two are true freshman this year . Also, I haven't completely given up on Allen.....I thought he was better than some posters gave him credit for last year. I'd sure like to see us get another kid like Miller in the current class.

As far as the OL we are grabbing some solid prospects that could have a great impact in a couple years. Love the depth we are building there.

Katic 16th best in Pennsylvania and 52nd best guard nationally
Bedford was 25th best in Tennessee and 80th tackle nationally
Lane was drawing heavy interest from Miami when we snagged him
Weaver was headed to Rutgers and we came in late and grabbed him

7. Punters & Kickers. I don't see any other listed punters after Whitehead....would like to see one in the 2020 class.
Losing Whitehead is gonna suck! Dude has been MONEY for IU since he got here. He'll be tough to replace IMO!

Yes, McFadden did a good job. The true freshman Bonhomme has confidence....I hope he's as good as he thinks he is.....But that's still only 4 for 2 positions (after R. Jones graduates) and two are true freshman this year . Also, I haven't completely given up on Allen.....I thought he was better than some posters gave him credit for last year. I'd sure like to see us get another kid like Miller in the current class.

Another LB to keep an eye on is Aaron Casey. I think he’s going to be a good one. He certainly looks the part in the poolside photo.

This has an exciting feel to it given the better talent overall now on the team (some still young but higher caliber players overall.) And if Depth has been an issue, think there is ability to use more guys this year which maybe can be a difference maker.

QB: 3 guys, better than we've had in years. Love Ramsey's grit, but I'm in Penix camp. Think he's got highest upside. Tuttle is TBD for me, not enough info yet.

RB: Scott in first chair. Believe Samson James #2. Still believe Ronnie Walker has great upside. Hoping Ivory W can be redshirted. Maybe guest to slot?

WR: Starting 4: Westbrook/Hale/Whop/Fryfogle - could be lethal! 6'5 Jordand Jakes a possible sleeper FR?

OL: Love the three seniors - Nasty/big/tough. Could really love Caleb Jones is he's in shape & ready to go. (He could play Sundays if so!)

TE: PHendershot could break out, think he's got the talent. Bjorson should have good year 2. Sleeper: FR: Gary Cooper as pass catching TE weapon.

OC Deboer: Unlike Debord who was "eh" but respectable. Think Deboer could be a lights out OC. His track record is good right out of the gates.

DL: Starting 4 could be good: Harris/Johnson beef in middle. Head/Stallings DE. More depth on DE who've played. DT depth but very young. Area of concern?

LB: Husky - Freak Ball! Jones needs lot of PT here or at LB! LBs: Jones/Miller/McFadden - pretty solid 3. Bonhomme & Williams - LBs of future. Casey surprise?

DB: Cup runneth over compared to years past. Safety: Fitz/Burgess/Matthews/J Johnson - all can play! Corner: Williams/Layne, R Taylor/Brown/Riggins Wow!

DC Wommack: watched him last year a lot. He doesn't get too high/low, stays calm. Think he knows his stuff. Will encourage a little "crazy" from the D!

K: Can hang with anyone with our 2 K's here. (Kickoffs need to improve)
P: H Whitehead going to end strong this year - he's been a weapon for pinning teams back.
PR/KR: Think we'll see better results this year here. (Or Coach Inge will have some "splainin to do!"

Coach Allen: Man has character, consistency, pride in IU, accountability, and enthusisasm. He's combo of Hep/Mallory in one. Think not being DC a huge positive for his growth in year three.

Not going to go cray cray and say "run the table, Rose Bowl!" But think 7-5 very reasonable expectation. Think a big time QB (with great OC) can do wonders and think Penix will be that guy. Think takeaways will be back this year due to crazy depth in DB's who will make things happen. And think OL + running backs will allow a controlled offense to help keep defense off the field/better rested.

7-5 should include an upset big win over one of the marquee programs: OSU, UM, MSU, Neb or PSU. (But could be a let down game loss vs. NU or MD?)

Love the direction, the new facilities, having a coach you can really support and pull for and a team buying in and working hard. Excited!

This has an exciting feel to it given the better talent overall now on the team (some still young but higher caliber players overall.) And if Depth has been an issue, think there is ability to use more guys this year which maybe can be a difference maker.

QB: 3 guys, better than we've had in years. Love Ramsey's grit, but I'm in Penix camp. Think he's got highest upside. Tuttle is TBD for me, not enough info yet.

RB: Scott in first chair. Believe Samson James #2. Still believe Ronnie Walker has great upside. Hoping Ivory W can be redshirted. Maybe guest to slot?

WR: Starting 4: Westbrook/Hale/Whop/Fryfogle - could be lethal! 6'5 Jordand Jakes a possible sleeper FR?

OL: Love the three seniors - Nasty/big/tough. Could really love Caleb Jones is he's in shape & ready to go. (He could play Sundays if so!)

TE: PHendershot could break out, think he's got the talent. Bjorson should have good year 2. Sleeper: FR: Gary Cooper as pass catching TE weapon.

OC Deboer: Unlike Debord who was "eh" but respectable. Think Deboer could be a lights out OC. His track record is good right out of the gates.

DL: Starting 4 could be good: Harris/Johnson beef in middle. Head/Stallings DE. More depth on DE who've played. DT depth but very young. Area of concern?

LB: Husky - Freak Ball! Jones needs lot of PT here or at LB! LBs: Jones/Miller/McFadden - pretty solid 3. Bonhomme & Williams - LBs of future. Casey surprise?

DB: Cup runneth over compared to years past. Safety: Fitz/Burgess/Matthews/J Johnson - all can play! Corner: Williams/Layne, R Taylor/Brown/Riggins Wow!

DC Wommack: watched him last year a lot. He doesn't get too high/low, stays calm. Think he knows his stuff. Will encourage a little "crazy" from the D!

K: Can hang with anyone with our 2 K's here. (Kickoffs need to improve)
P: H Whitehead going to end strong this year - he's been a weapon for pinning teams back.
PR/KR: Think we'll see better results this year here. (Or Coach Inge will have some "splainin to do!"

Coach Allen: Man has character, consistency, pride in IU, accountability, and enthusisasm. He's combo of Hep/Mallory in one. Think not being DC a huge positive for his growth in year three.

Not going to go cray cray and say "run the table, Rose Bowl!" But think 7-5 very reasonable expectation. Think a big time QB (with great OC) can do wonders and think Penix will be that guy. Think takeaways will be back this year due to crazy depth in DB's who will make things happen. And think OL + running backs will allow a controlled offense to help keep defense off the field/better rested.

7-5 should include an upset big win over one of the marquee programs: OSU, UM, MSU, Neb or PSU. (But could be a let down game loss vs. NU or MD?)

Love the direction, the new facilities, having a coach you can really support and pull for and a team buying in and working hard. Excited!

I think this year's team has the best depth since Mallory......bad thing is the schedule.

We have 4 gimme wins. 3 very probable losses in UM at IU, OSU at IU, and IU at PSU.

So we're probably 4-3 there.

That leaves IU at Purdue, at MSU & at MD....and NW at IU. To get to 7-5 we probably need to win 3 of those 4, ot beat either OSU or Michigan at home. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.

I'm not as concerned about LB as you are. Ball plays the hybrid position which is really as much LB as Safety. If you wanted another outside linebacker, I'm not so sure you couldn't move Fitzgerald up to that position, particularly if you have enough depth at DB. Maybe undersized in the traditional linebacker mold, but a guy who can provide run game support, and have enough coverage skills to at least cover backs out of the backfield and maybe a wide or slot receiver on occasion.

EDIT---Oops, left off the WRs......Any concerns there are being addressed in the 2020 class with wideouts Williams & slot guy Watley. I think this years trio of Jakes at wideout & Brown & Ellis in the slot have us covered pretty well. We still have Marshall, Hewitt, Whop & Fryfogle for at least one more year. We could still use another stud 6'3" wideout, but it's not essential.....

Couple things....

We're done recruiting at LB. We're only looking at bringing one in and Wise is it, unless someone that the staff just absolutely loves falls in our laps. The linebacker room isn't long in the tooth, but we've got talent. Miller flashed last year and Jones started almost all last year. We also have McFadden, Thomas Allen, Aaron Casey and the two incoming freshman. We only play two at a time so there isnt a ton of opputunity to get on the field anyway and after this year, we only loose Jones.

O-line, we're looking to bring in 5 this class and we've got two good ones on board already. Four of our starters are solid, we'll see about Jones. We've got prospects in Marozas and Rafftery. The freshman coming in could see time, but there's no rush.

Secondary should be good. We're done recruiting corners, but we're still after a couple more safeties.

Receivers, we're looking to bring in one more. We've got Trouble Williams and David Baker commited. You mistakenly said that Watley was brought on as a slot, but he's being brought on as a corner.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think all agree that talent has been upgraded from last year...experience having a large part in that...but we've still a ways to go to be in the top half of the B10. We may never get better talent than middle of the road...which in the B10 ain't bad...vbg. This season the difference between 5-7 and 6-6 or better will be coaching...and it must happen now for Allen. Going into his third season, excuses won't float. The better talent must translate into more wins. Talking about youth or luck or love will not protect him from the downward slide. IU does not fire coaches willy nilly but the tone of his future recruiting will be tuned to what he does this season. Any falloff in recruiting would instigate his doom. None of us want that...I hope.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. This season might turn out to be historic...in how it preps the future. I'm hoping...

Last edited:
I think all agree that talent has been upgraded from last year...experience having a large part in that...but we've still a ways to go to be in the top half of the B10. We may never get better talent than middle of the road...which in the B10 ain't bad...vbg. This season the difference between 5-7 and 6-6 or better will be coaching...and it must happen now for Allen. Going into his third season, excuses won't float. The better talent must translate into more wins. Talking about youth or luck or love will not protect him from the downward slide. IU does not fire coaches willy nilly but the tone of his future recruiting will be tuned to what he does this season. Any falloff in recruiting would instigate his doom. None of us want that...I hope.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. This season might turn out to be historic...in how it preps the future. I'm hoping...

Yes, I think the best we can hope for is Wisconsin/Iowa type recruiting and Iowa type winning. Matching Wisconsin's winning % with Wisconsin-style recruiting will be very difficult..........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT