ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart Observations: Still Really Young!

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
https://indiana.rivals.com/news/indiana-football-2020-scholarship-chart-1

A really well done layout of the current roster heading into 2020 season and only 10 4th year players! Most of them do contribute and are not no-names, but really amazing to look at this chart and see how much youth there still is coming up the pipeline.

There are a lot of players with real experience who still have a lot of playing time ahead of them. Which can mean many new true FR can redshirt, building depth and creating competition.

Think the first signee for 2021 class DE McGraw could be a preview of what may end up being a new water mark high recruiting class ahead as I believe the team next year could surpass this year's run. And yes, I feel that way due to depth, experience, and I think the bigger, seasoned and hungry play of Michael Penix will be a game changer too next year.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/indiana-football-2020-scholarship-chart-1

A really well done layout of the current roster heading into 2020 season and only 10 4th year players! Most of them do contribute and are not no-names, but really amazing to look at this chart and see how much youth there still is coming up the pipeline.

There are a lot of players with real experience who still have a lot of playing time ahead of them. Which can mean many new true FR can redshirt, building depth and creating competition.

Think the first signee for 2021 class DE McGraw could be a preview of what may end up being a new water mark high recruiting class ahead as I believe the team next year could surpass this year's run. And yes, I feel that way due to depth, experience, and I think the bigger, seasoned and hungry play of Michael Penix will be a game changer too next year.
I feel good about the direction the program is going. But its hard for me to accept that success leads to a revolving door with staff and assistants. I know its the price a program pays for success but it still bother me.

I wonder what the staff feels are the biggest needs remaining for depth. I can see where an additional body at several positions could be helpful i.e RB, QB, and DB.

If they could swing it, I'd be looking at trying to get a grad transfer QB from a smaller school but who has proved competent to act as a 3rd stringer. Maybe one who has a dream of being in the Big 10 but doesn't have realistic NFL aspirations at this point. Like a quality backup to keep the pressure off of the freshman coming in. That might be too much to ask for realistically though.

Reactions: IUCX9
If they could swing it, I'd be looking at trying to get a grad transfer QB from a smaller school but who has proved competent to act as a 3rd stringer. Maybe one who has a dream of being in the Big 10 but doesn't have realistic NFL aspirations at this point. Like a quality backup to keep the pressure off of the freshman coming in. That might be too much to ask for realistically though.
Indiana's roster shows 3 Freshman QBs that appear to be WO's. I hope we never find out how any of them play.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I agree that's the way to go. G5 or even FCS starter, just for depth. Kelley School of Business should be a big draw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT