ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats unveil "A Better Deal" branding/platform

Fro

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
More to come, but this seems like a pretty good start.

Definitely a lot more populist in tone. Not radically new, but some interesting bits like blocking big mergers, consumer competition advocate, drug price gouging enforcer. Other things like allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug companies, business tax credits for job training, etc are existing policies that haven't gotten enough pub.

"A Better Deal: Better Jobs, Better Wages, Better Future"

House Democrats said:
■ Raise the wages and incomes of American workers and create millions of good-paying jobs: Our plan for A Better Deal starts by creating millions of good-paying, full-time jobs by directly investing in our crumbling infrastructure and prioritizing small business and entrepreneurs, instead of giving tax breaks to special interests. We will aggressively crack down on unfair foreign trade and fight back against corporations that outsource American jobs. We will fight to ensure a living wage for all Americans and keep our promise to millions of workers who earned a pension, Social Security and Medicare, so seniors can retire with dignity.

■ Lower the costs of living for families: We will offer A Better Deal that will lower the crippling cost of prescription drugs and the cost of a college or technical education that leads to a good job. We will fight for families struggling with high monthly bills like childcare, credit card fees, and cable bills. We will crack down on monopolies and the concentration of economic power that has led to higher prices for consumers, workers, and small business – and make sure Wall Street never endangers Main Street again.

■ Build an economy that gives working Americans the tools to succeed in the 21st Century:: Americans deserve the chance to get the skills, tools, and knowledge to find a good-paying job or to move up in their career to earn a better living. We will commit to A Better Deal that provides new tax incentives to employers that invest in workforce training and education and make sure the rules of the economy support companies that focus on long-term growth, rather than short-term profits. We will make it a national priority to bring high-speed Internet to every corner of America and offer apprenticeships to millions of new workers. We will encourage innovation, invest in advanced research and ensure start-ups and small businesses can compete and prosper.

Definitely a lot more populist in tone. Not radically new, but some interesting bits like blocking big mergers, consumer competition advocate, drug price gouging enforcer. Other things like allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug companies, business tax credits for job training, etc are existing policies that haven't gotten enough pub.

3 comments

1. Negative campaigning works. Anger appeals. Passion + emotional anger is needed. More visible anger about the little guy getting screwed would help.

2. New message is not mutually exclusive from new leadership. They need both.

3. The language is way too complex:

"blocking big mergers, consumer competition advocate, drug price gouging enforcer. Other things like allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug companies, business tax credits for job training, etc are existing policies that haven't gotten enough pub."

They need to dumb this down to the lcd. Slogans and memes wins. Sophisticated language loses.

So last week the DNC is all about environmental restrictions and making it difficult for small business, as they have to be the toll collector for the G'bment. But this week we've got a new slogan, so its all different now.

Yea, I think it's got a chance. Good work!

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
So last week the DNC is all about environmental restrictions and making it difficult for small business, as they have to be the toll collector for the G'bment. But this week we've got a new slogan, so its all different now.

Just curious, but you realize that at some point, we actually have to start giving a crap about the planet on some level, right?

All Donnie had was MAGA, so really all we need is a reality star with a slogan.

I think this is the right strategy, and it should play well in the midterms, when it will help in blue collar areas, while leftists in certain districts can more or less ignore it if they need to. The two things I'm interested in, though, are long term:

1. If the Dems successfully take back one or both houses of Congress, will they present a unified front, or will they suffer the same divisions the GOP has suffered?

2. If this more populist tone continues into the 2020 race, will the party rip itself apart trying to decide between an economic populist and a true-blue liberal?

I'm not saying I expect the Dems to be as dysfunctional as the GOP, but I'm also not convinced that the current party leadership can pull together over an economic vision, while setting other disagreements aside. Pelosi signalling that abortion shouldn't be a litmus test is a good sign, but I'm not convinced she's the right vehicle for that message, or that I even trust her to hold to big tent ideals once the party has actual power.

Reactions: AckAck
All Donnie had was MAGA, so really all we need is a reality star with a slogan.

No slogan, just a look:
rock-eyebrow.jpg

Welcome to the New America.

ADVERTISEMENT