ADVERTISEMENT

Demarcus Elliott commits

I bet Chattanooga and UMass are pretty upset about it.

Is that a slam on him/IU that is other offers were Chattanooga and UMass? I don't know where his other offers were to and if those two schools, I won't deny, those aren't power house FB programs. But 6'4 300 lb is pretty big, Garden City is a big juco school, and seems like our coaches know how to judge talent and recruit. Maybe post signing day there weren't a lot of spots open? Maybe he was a "can he finish his 2nd semester grades to be eligible" situation?

The scholly spot is there, IU has trusted their judgment enough to offer and he is now accepted, which should mean he'll start summer school and be a part of the summer player let workouts and lifting. Another big body for the DL. Sounds good to me.

Only concern I'd have with him or ANY Juco is do they have the ability to handle the academics and do they have the character IU is trying to maintain? Some of the guys you see on the Netflix Last Chance U documentary are either woefully not academically too prepared or in some cases, real knuckleheads. It's all TBD, but for now, I welcome him to IU and wish him the best. It's a great opportunity for Juco player to get a Power 5 offer. Make the most of it!

Kansas offer as well.

Is that a slam on him/IU that is other offers were Chattanooga and UMass? I don't know where his other offers were to and if those two schools, I won't deny, those aren't power house FB programs. But 6'4 300 lb is pretty big, Garden City is a big juco school, and seems like our coaches know how to judge talent and recruit. Maybe post signing day there weren't a lot of spots open? Maybe he was a "can he finish his 2nd semester grades to be eligible" situation?

The scholly spot is there, IU has trusted their judgment enough to offer and he is now accepted, which should mean he'll start summer school and be a part of the summer player let workouts and lifting. Another big body for the DL. Sounds good to me.

Only concern I'd have with him or ANY Juco is do they have the ability to handle the academics and do they have the character IU is trying to maintain? Some of the guys you see on the Netflix Last Chance U documentary are either woefully not academically too prepared or in some cases, real knuckleheads. It's all TBD, but for now, I welcome him to IU and wish him the best. It's a great opportunity for Juco player to get a Power 5 offer. Make the most of it!

Reactions: 76-1
He looks like a good run stopper and doesn't quit on the ball carrier. He will fit the one DT spot and could be a good substitution for Harris and others. IU's defense needs DTs that can hold the middle on runs and get some push up the middle.

I bet Chattanooga and UMass are pretty upset about it.

Coming out of high school the 24/7 site said he had an offer from Kansas State... They've (Kst) have been known to make some credible personnel decisions when it comes to pure talent.

If Tom Allen and Staff are happy to have him here..., so am I...

Welcome Demarcus!!!

Well if he is on campus in the summer, and you are concerned about academics, you should be terrified then. I think he is required to take (drum role) ...what was that class??? Ummm.......

Well if he is on campus in the summer, and you are concerned about academics, you should be terrified then. I think he is required to take (drum role) ...what was that class??? Ummm.......

That's only for a non-qualifier out of high school. For Demarcus to be able to attend a 4 year school after only one year at the JuCo, he had to be a final qualifier out of high school. Therefore, thankfully the Finite Math requirement is not applicable here!

That's only for a non-qualifier out of high school. For Demarcus to be able to attend a 4 year school after only one year at the JuCo, he had to be a final qualifier out of high school. Therefore, thankfully the Finite Math requirement is not applicable here!

I think this is the only appropriate response to the above post:

:) ;)

He looks like a good run stopper and doesn't quit on the ball carrier. He will fit the one DT spot and could be a good substitution for Harris and others. IU's defense needs DTs that can hold the middle on runs and get some push up the middle.
Agree on the run stopper. He gets doubled and sheds blocks well too. Good motor, doesn't quit going. This is a good pickup and already played against some big dudes!

Found this tidbit after his senior high school year.

Elliott will go down as one of the best players to ever come out of Garden City High School. His numbers during an incredible senior season speaks for itself.

Elliott notched 81 tackles including 18.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks and an interception his final year, leading the Buffaloes into the third round of the 6A playoffs. He had three, double-digit tackle performances including a 14-stop game in an upset win over Topeka in round two. He had 10 tackles against both Hays and Great Bend.

"I play with a chip on my shoulder all the time," Elliott said. "That's how I approach it, and I don't plan on changing anything."

He is a big body, and I assume Ballou hooked him up to test his power. He looks like a development project, but that’s what we have to do to win in this league. IU has to become “Improvement University.”
Looks to me that he has quick feet for a guy that size, and the coaching staff intentionally put him into position to block anticipated pass attempts. Plus he looks like a beast to block on FG and extra point kicks . . .

. . . hopefully he'll have sufficient power to play in the BiG. In any case, he looks like a good depth move with some potential for some upside.

Just to clarify, he is in the 2019 class correct? Not sure why, but rivals has him listed for 2020. This is a boost in immediate depth and nice to have two interior guys that played snaps last year even if it was at the juco level. I’m curious to see how the remaining spots get used.

Just to clarify, he is in the 2019 class correct? Not sure why, but rivals has him listed for 2020. This is a boost in immediate depth and nice to have two interior guys that played snaps last year even if it was at the juco level. I’m curious to see how the remaining spots get used.
Yes he is 2019

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT