ADVERTISEMENT

Delaney has made the Big Ten a LOT of $$$$ over the years, but

May 2, 2017
moving the BTT a week before everyone else just to have it in MSG is f@cking asinine. Also, by going a week early so that the Big East can go at their normal time is shameful. The Big Ten is head and shoulders above what's left of the Big East and he made us second fiddle to them. I really do think he's been good for business over the years, but the way he treats the BTT is ridiculous. Last year in DC??? Now in NYC and a week early??? I mean, even the NCAA realizes that the F4 should be in Indy every 5 years I believe. Anyway, I just think he's being an idiot here and that this will negatively affect the teams that make the postseason with the lengthy layoff.

moving the BTT a week before everyone else just to have it in MSG is f@cking asinine. Also, by going a week early so that the Big East can go at their normal time is shameful. The Big Ten is head and shoulders above what's left of the Big East and he made us second fiddle to them. I really do think he's been good for business over the years, but the way he treats the BTT is ridiculous. Last year in DC??? Now in NYC and a week early??? I mean, even the NCAA realizes that the F4 should be in Indy every 5 years I believe. Anyway, I just think he's being an idiot here and that this will negatively affect the teams that make the postseason with the lengthy layoff.
It's going to be Indy/Chicago/Indy/Chicago/NYorDC going forward on a 5 year rolling basis without the compressed schedule. At least that's what they have insinuated.

It's going to be Indy/Chicago/Indy/Chicago/NYorDC going forward on a 5 year rolling basis without the compressed schedule. At least that's what they have insinuated.

Well hopefully not after this failure is complete. Also, why not Detroit? Does he not realize where our member schools are located? Is this really bringing in that much more revenue?

Don't know, could go either way. Listening to Juwan and RoJo re: the B10/14 Tourney they indicated the break and having a couple days off beforehand energized everyone - perhaps an extra week before the Dance can be a good thing for Conference Teams.

Well hopefully not after this failure is complete. Also, why not Detroit? Does he not realize where our member schools are located? Is this really bringing in that much more revenue?
It doesn't bring in more revenue for the BTT at all. The tickets mostly sell out no matter where the games are played.

Delany's moves are beyond stupid. The BTT should never be anywhere but Chicago or Indy, and the Big Ten is a Midwest Conference. I don't get what Maryland and Rutgers add to the Conference other than money, and who gives a crap about the extra money. At some point, you have to stop being a money grubbing whore, and Delany put money grubbing before the conference. I am fine with leaving Maryland and Rutgers in NYC. This is what it looks like when the Big Ten pretends to be an East Coast conference.

According to the link below in order to get Maryland and Rutgers to join the Big the Big had to agree to the tournament being moved every so often.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-square-garden-greedy-stupid-doyel/373103002/

Crib notes

The objective, if you can believe this, was to lure Rutgers to the Big Ten.

Rutgers!

That’s where this whole thing started, the same place where so many stupid decisions in college sports started: conference realignment. The biggest conference tournaments staged their own hunger games, eventually devouring the Southwest Conference and devaluing the Big East, but they didn’t get bigger intelligently. They got bigger stupidly because MONEY! The Big Ten wanted to expand its geographic footprint, a phrase I’m putting in italics because you need to hear it as I’m trying to write it: as an obscenity.

There’s no going back, but somehow the Big Ten is stuck with Maryland and Rutgers (!), and to get those schools to leave their own conferences, the Big Ten had to make all sorts of promises including this one: We’ll bring the men’s basketball tournament to you. Last season the Big Ten tournament was in Washington, D.C., where it was sparsely attended, and this year it will be in Madison Square Garden, where it will be sparsely attended. Put the Big Ten tournament in two of the four most populated areas in the country — greater New York City is first, greater Washington, D.C., fourth — and the league can’t fill the building. Why? Because those markets don’t care about the Big Ten.

IMO the DC location was stupid. I'm not willing to trash the NYC idea yet until we watch how it unfolds this weekend. There are ALOT of b-ball fans in NYC and almost as many alums from the Big as in Chicago.

Chicago: 241,242
New York: 216,065
Washington D.C.: 140,146
Philadelphia: 80,564
Indianapolis: 63,383
Cleveland: 25,589

Its got to be exciting for the kids to be playing in Madison Square Garden. Also do you really think either game from yesterday would have been better attended in Indy or Chicago? Doubt It!

If the Big can't win NYC over with all the current alumni there then its a failure. I have to think today will be decent. Tomorrow and Saturday should be packed.

Yes it needs to be back here I agree, but, hopefully the games take over this weekend and get big attendance and TV numbers! The Big10 tourney this weekend gets its own spotlight and will not be competing with anything else in b-ball.

Reactions: Chriselli
According to the link below in order to get Maryland and Rutgers to join the Big the Big had to agree to the tournament being moved every so often.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-square-garden-greedy-stupid-doyel/373103002/

Crib notes

The objective, if you can believe this, was to lure Rutgers to the Big Ten.

Rutgers!

That’s where this whole thing started, the same place where so many stupid decisions in college sports started: conference realignment. The biggest conference tournaments staged their own hunger games, eventually devouring the Southwest Conference and devaluing the Big East, but they didn’t get bigger intelligently. They got bigger stupidly because MONEY! The Big Ten wanted to expand its geographic footprint, a phrase I’m putting in italics because you need to hear it as I’m trying to write it: as an obscenity.

There’s no going back, but somehow the Big Ten is stuck with Maryland and Rutgers (!), and to get those schools to leave their own conferences, the Big Ten had to make all sorts of promises including this one: We’ll bring the men’s basketball tournament to you. Last season the Big Ten tournament was in Washington, D.C., where it was sparsely attended, and this year it will be in Madison Square Garden, where it will be sparsely attended. Put the Big Ten tournament in two of the four most populated areas in the country — greater New York City is first, greater Washington, D.C., fourth — and the league can’t fill the building. Why? Because those markets don’t care about the Big Ten.

This is what I’m getting at precisely. We went to DC and to create interest yet we had a terrible turnout. That seems very counterproductive to me. If the same thing happens in NYC then that just compounds the stupidity. Add in the fact that we have to play a week early to allow the leftovers from the Big East to get top billing at MSG and I just don’t get it.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
This is what I’m getting at precisely. We went to DC and to create interest yet we had a terrible turnout. That seems very counterproductive to me. If the same thing happens in NYC then that just compounds the stupidity. Add in the fact that we have to play a week early to allow the leftovers from the Big East to get top billing at MSG and I just don’t get it.
Well this is NYC so I expect decent crowds. DC was just???
As far as Maryland and Rutgers to the Big it was a good move. At this point and time in college athletics and TV revenue you either get aggressive or get left behind. The Big has positioned itself very well.

With that said what are Maryland and Rutgers going to do if the Big backs out of the promise to have the tourney in DC and NYC. Leave for greener pastures? Not!

Delany falsely gets credit for the money that the pay tv industry generated for the B10 and the other conferences.

UMd belongs in the ACC, (Delany recruited UMd hoping to kill off the ACC), and RU belongs in a major conference, but not the B10.

fact is, Delany tried to kill off both the B12 and ACC. (and totally f'd up the B10 in doing so).

the sooner he goes, the better for all of college athletics.

Last edited:
One of the problems with the Big 10 tournament is that fans come to see their team and their team only. As of now, it's rare to see two teams who are able to fill the venue for early games. And, once their team loses they head on home.

I have no idea how the BIG can deal with this.

One of the problems with the Big 10 tournament is that fans come to see their team and their team only. As of now, it's rare to see two teams who are able to fill the venue for early games. And, once their team loses they head on home.

I don't think any conference tourney expects capacity crowds at their Wed/Th/Fri games. It's all about the weekend and the TV revenue. If they did value attendance then they'd certainly keep it somewhere easier to get to for the midwest fanbases. They are doing this a week early and at MSG and the games are still on BTN. That's not generating any extra TV revenue like if they'd gotten Fox or ABC/ESPN to pony up for this idea.

Assuming we win tonight, I find it ironic that the tournament finally gets an IU/Purdue matchup and it's in NYC.

Reactions: RBB89
I'm afraid that Detroit's reputation would make it very unattractive for many out of town visitors.
I only went once, and it was just 2-3 years ago, but I loved Detroit.
I never felt unsafe anywhere(unlike Jay Cutler each dropback) and lots of good breweries and restaurants.

It wasnt the best place Ive ever been, but it far exceeded my expectations I went there with. Id go back.

These articles are not holding weight! Not one. The crowd today has been pretty good and is supposed to be sold out over the weekend. Tonight should be better than today after work is out. I have no problems with this. There are ALOT of alums and fans in New York that do not get a chance to see the Big10 Tourney. Good for them! The Gaaahdn should be rocking tonight!

And the kids playing? Think how amped they are playing in NYC on a stage like this. This has got to be pretty cool for the players.

These articles are not holding weight! Not one. The crowd today has been pretty good and is supposed to be sold out over the weekend. Tonight should be better than today after work is out. I have no problems with this. There are ALOT of alums and fans in New York that do not get a chance to see the Big10 Tourney. Good for them! The Gaaahdn should be rocking tonight!

And the kids playing? Think how amped they are playing in NYC on a stage like this. This has got to be pretty cool for the players.

The attendance is not great today with eight teams playing. There is a reason the lights are off in the uppers. I also don't get the "stage like this" comments. Is MSG...ok. IU should help tonight, but this ain't Indy by a long shot.

The attendance is not great today with eight teams playing. There is a reason the lights are off in the uppers. I also don't get the "stage like this" comments. Is MSG...ok. IU should help tonight, but this ain't Indy by a long shot.
Well yes it aint Indy but we had the game on in the background all day and its no different than Indy. Some of the game crowds were very loud today. Before Rutgers and Maryland joined I sat in indy on a Thursday and it was sparse and Indiana was playing. Im tellin ya this isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Well yes it aint Indy but we had the game on in the background all day and its no different than Indy. Some of the game crowds were very loud today. Before Rutgers and Maryland joined I sat in indy on a Thursday and it was sparse and Indiana was playing. Im tellin ya this isnt as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

What year was that?

What year was that?
That was the Sampson era years ago. I remember a kid walked over by me and my brother, grabbed a seat, and told us he was from Australia checking out the IU music school. He thought he would check out a game before he grabbed a bus. There were empty seats all around us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT