ADVERTISEMENT

Defense is a big ?

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
I'm reading accolades for the performance of the defense, but Petras was dreadful and could not hit the broadside of a barn. Multiple times wide open receivers and he was totally inaccurate. Plenty of time. Including at least one open TD that I recall. I felt very strongly that Iowa's lackluster performance on offense had a lot more to do with Petras stinking the place up than anything IU was doing. And that's not excluding the fact that Iowa took the foot off the gas due to the game situation. Tbd how stout IUs D is.

He missed two passes, and one ended up being a completion. He missed one open receiver, but was scrambling. He had four drops.

I'm not clear that your post reflects accurately what took place yesterday. I'm not sure Petras is all-world, but it seemed pretty obvious our defense had something to do with this, and the weird Iowa poster on here is correct, after the game wasn't in question, there was really nothing to be learned.

Well, we passed on Mike Tressel for a hype man. We passed on Justin Frye for Darren Hiller. We passed on several good OC candidates for Nick Sheridan.

Tom Allen is a nepotism hire man. This is the same route that ended Bobby Petrino at Louisville.

Well, we passed on Mike Tressel for a hype man. We passed on Justin Frye for Darren Hiller. We passed on several good OC candidates for Nick Sheridan.

Tom Allen is a nepotism hire man. This is the same route that ended Bobby Petrino at Louisville.

Unfortunately I'm leaning in your direction. The one hire that seemed the least personality based was the best hire (DeBoer). I haven't been impressed with Sheridan from day 1. He was supposedly learning under DeBoer but the playbook reflects debored. Just 0 creativity. When your oline stinks get the ball out quick. Nothing to reflect the abilities of the players on the roster. Just mind boggling really. Too early to judge the new DC, but I hope he is even up to the level of TA the DC. Between the ole miss game and yesterday this could derail quickly. Don't see the adjustments. Just not good. And frankly I don't see a lot of passion from Penix. Looks very nonchalant out there. Perhaps that's his personality.

Petras was pretty much as expected. Mediocre. Yes, Iowa took their foot off the gas. Why risk anything in a game you know your D was dominating?

The D had a good, not great, showing after the first drive. Compared to the low bar of total Offensive ineptitude, gotta take some positives somewhere.

Last edited:
He missed two passes, and one ended up being a completion. He missed one open receiver, but was scrambling. He had four drops.

I'm not clear that your post reflects accurately what took place yesterday. I'm not sure Petras is all-world, but it seemed pretty obvious our defense had something to do with this, and the weird Iowa poster on here is correct, after the game wasn't in question, there was really nothing to be learned.

I think you're probably pretty close to reality with this post. Iowa has some concern with Petras, but he was improved yesterday. He did not miss a lot of receivers as you pointed out, and after the game was out of reach, there was nothing more to be learned. I thin k on the two missed TD's he was scrambling, but need to watch again. He definitely was on the one TD miss that was less obvious. In addition to the drops there were contested passes that should have been caught. I haven't broken it down or charted it yet, but Indiana's defense was pretty good. To say otherwise is pretty stunning really.

Reactions: CriticalObserver
IU defense should be good, when you look around the B1G East.

Penn State and Michigan should be improved. Maryland and Rutgers want to be out of the cellar.

Michigan State found RB. East should be competitive.

Minnesota gave Ohio State a test. Others need to step up too!

Minnesota is 4th best B1G West program.

Kind of hard for it to be nepotism when he hadn't ever met Charlton Warren before interviewing him. I'll agree with you on Hiller and Sheridan though. Those two have been underwhelming to this point.

IU defense should be good, when you look around the B1G East.

Penn State and Michigan should be improved. Maryland and Rutgers want to be out of the cellar.

Michigan State found RB. East should be competitive.

Minnesota gave Ohio State a test. Others need to step up too!

Minnesota is 4th best B1G West program.
Who is Minnesota behind? Iowa, Wisconsin, and who else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT