ADVERTISEMENT

Decisions

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
The Hoosiers picked in this week’s MLB draft got me thinking about the big decisions they face over the next few weeks. College was a special time and it would not have been easy for me to leave early or skip it, even to do something I loved.

About this time last year Coach Lemonis made the decision to leave IU for Hail State (a no brainer for a young coach with no real ties here). Not only did he find a beautiful state of the art stadium being finished in the top college baseball conference, he found 2 high school graduating seniors who were committed to MSU that were picked we in the 1st round of the just concluded MLB draft. Carter Stewart #8 to Braves, JT Ginnn #30 to Dodgers had both signed NLI with MSU the previous November (part of the crazy world of college baseball) and now a clock was ticking regarding signing pro contracts with 7 figure bonuses.

Ginn an MSU legacy stayed with MSU and has pitched well for them this year. He will be eligible for the MLB draft after his 3rd year at MSU or next year if he turns 21 before next year’s draft period. Stewart’s trip has had more twists and turns. A wrist injury prompted the Braves to offer about 1/2 the #8 pick slot value. He declined, but instead of staying with MSU he opted to go to a JC. Under the NCAA rules he could bail on the NLI and go to a JC and play right away. Under draft rules high school kids who go JC are draft eligible the next year. Stewart, after a year that showed him to be healthy, signed a 6 year 7 figure deal to play in Japan.

FWIW a 3rd first round pick from the ‘18 draft Matt McClain is playing for UCLA and part of the effort to prevent UM from a trip to the CWS.

Good luck to our kids as they make these decisions.

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT