ADVERTISEMENT

Debord speciality. Run short of the sticks on 4th.

Listened to the second half on tunein app. Sounds like the boys resorted back to the usual IU football. Dumb, killer penalties, pick sixes. You knew the last series that Ramsey would throw another pick.

I know that a lot of people feel this is a much improved team but in the eyes of the nation they are still the same ole' IU making the same ole' mistakes to lose games.

A loss at Rutgers would pretty much end the season I think... Hope they can regroup and make Hale run about 60 miles for the stupid TD costing penalty.

Oh, and giving up a TD right at the end of the first half, true IU / Colts fashion there.

Reactions: IUgradman
Guess you guys did not them running right by Cronkite most of the night? Plus you know Ramsey’s strength is not pushing the ball down the field. We gave up 4 sackin one quarter how are you going to get the ball down the field?

Reactions: kmathum
What do you all think needs to happen to get our o-line where it needs to be? If any line was supposed to be sketchy this year it was our d-line (right?) and they looked solid. I don't get it.

Do you guys even watch football much? We couldn’t outscheme them. Their DL was manhandling our OL. Don’t give me this horseshit about play-calling. When we tried to pass, their DL was in the backfield within 2 seconds of the ball snap. We couldn’t run the ball. Pretty simple: their DL was that much better than our OL. They pushed them around and were quicker.

Flush it and on to the next one.

Nobody wants to talk about the job coaches did getting back to a one score game. Just criticize critize criticize
What do you all think needs to happen to get our o-line where it needs to be? If any line was supposed to be sketchy this year it was our d-line (right?) and they looked solid. I don't get it.
i think that she your left tackle is getting beat that badly you to put a te over to help or chip with a running back or pass set him and invite him up the field and run under him. Another thing is leave more guys in to block run 2 and 3 man combo routes with your guys like Philyor, Taylor and even Harris

I thought he did a good job overall. And I don't know shit. But it seemed like there were 2 really bad 3rd down play calls in the first half.
And what would be your strategy for preventing the MSU DL being in our backfield within a couple seconds? Ramsey was under duress on every throw, sometimes having to run forward in the pocket to flip the ball.
he told you hire a new o.coordinator. Nothing constructive

Nobody wants to talk about the job coaches did getting back to a one score game. Just criticize critize criticize

i think that she your left tackle is getting beat that badly you to put a te over to help or chip with a running back or pass set him and invite him up the field and run under him. Another thing is leave more guys in to block run 2 and 3 man combo routes with your guys like Philyor, Taylor and even Harris
I did not see many TE's in the game tonight because it appeared that we played a lot of 4WR tonight. We did not help the OL at al with our blocking schemes or gave them any help/ To e that is why I never liked the spread offenses using 4 wide outs. To me for IU to ever be successful we need to scrap the spread and uptempo style of offense and try to play like UW or Iowa. For that to happen we really need to contrate on getting bigger and stronger OL who are great run blockers.

And what would be your strategy for preventing the MSU DL being in our backfield within a couple seconds? Ramsey was under duress on every throw, sometimes having to run forward in the pocket to flip the ball.

Don’t run the ball up the middle on third and fourth down when your o-line can’t get any push.

Reactions: DANC and indy1203
Don’t run the ball up the middle on third and fourth down when your o-line can’t get any push.

You guys need to take a step back, breath, and realize we got beat by a team who controlled the trenches. They had better personnel. Kids played hard. Just outmatched.

Flush it and move on. I’ve seen IU teams before that would give up. Didn’t see it tonight and MSU is better than us. Their DEs are lightening fast and controlled it.

I did not see many TE's in the game tonight because it appeared that we played a lot of 4WR tonight. We did not help the OL at al with our blocking schemes or gave them any help/ To e that is why I never liked the spread offenses using 4 wide outs. To me for IU to ever be successful we need to scrap the spread and uptempo style of offense and try to play like UW or Iowa. For that to happen we really need to contrate on getting bigger and stronger OL who are great run blockers.
You do know that MSU had a week off to prepare for us. Dantonio May be an jerk but he is a helluva of defensive football coach. They did sit sack and play cover 2 which is their mo. They did not try to press our outside guys they played a lot of press bail coverage man under and two deep. For the most part took away Hale and Westbrook. They brought al lot of corner blitzed and cover 3. Also different for them . They were very disciplined in rush lanes and kept Ramsey for the most part in check. They played very well defensively. We also played without Timian who is huge third down security blanket for Ramsey.

Reactions: IUCol
I say bring in TE but then you take either Philyor or Taylor not sure why he got some touches early and then was gone but was glad to see Harris involved in passing game and I would suspect him having more experience was why he played and not Taylor or you take Harris out to play a te. Don’t really know if that really is a good trade off.

We wanted a measure...now we got it. No sense crying about it. MSU was better. It was fantasy to think they weren't. We still played a good 2nd half. Frankly, their Dline bullied us...period. Next...
Idk if it was fantasy to think they might not be better, NOW it is, but going in, nothing was clear quite yet. Otherwise, I totally agree. Next!

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86 and IUCol
Or 3rd and long. Absolute trash. He's a minor league coordinator. Horrible. Sick and tired of this idiocy.
You can't badmouth Debord in here man? Don't you know? You can't even suggest that he might be a bit long in the tooth, or that another fanbase might have disliked him without setting off pacemake...I mean, ruffling feathers o'plenty in here! To it's be fair, it sounds like our O-line was man handled tonight(which is a very bad sign going forward, unfortunately), so perhaps DeBord didn't have much to work with. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been both a tough night to call plays AND crappy play calling, but nonetheless.... I just got off work, so I've only seen the box score.

Idk if it fantasy to think they might not be better, NOW it is, but going in, nothing was clear quite yet. Otherwise, I totally agree. Next!
I did kinda mean that fantasy thingy as after the fact...though I was concerned going in. Dantonio has never lost a game after a buy...we gotta play better but they were ready for us...

Idk if it fantasy to think they might not be better, NOW it is, but going in, nothing was clear quite yet. Otherwise, I totally agree. Next!
I agree we still have a chance to go 10-1. Maybe we finally can get the breaks. Even if not 10-1 we still have a shot at a great season. One loss and the season is not done. We need to go out and take care of business against Rutgers get back to bullying people up front. Continue to get better and enjoy the fact that we the 19 youngest team in division 1 football. There is a lot to be positive about. I am disappointed we lost. But hey let’s get after Rutgers. Let’s get our young kids used to winning.

Reactions: ESalum86
I did kinda mean that fantasy thingy as after the fact...though I was concerned going in. Dantonio has never lost a game after a buy...we gotta play better but they were ready for us...
Our O-line still shouldn't have been whipped like that(apparently, I haven't actually seen it yet, but 11 carries 18 yards for Scott kinda' tells the tale).

Reactions: IUCol
Our O-line still shouldn't have been whipped like that(apparently, I haven't actually seen it yet, but 11 carries 18 yards for Scott kinda' tells the tale).
You are right they should not have been that bad. But they were early. When e fell behind and had to throw it almost seemed like protection tightened up or the ball was coming out of Ramseys hand faster something definitely changed as we started moving the the ball and the chains.

It was actually worse than that. The line had a bad night but the OC should do something to help them out. When you operate within 5 yards of the LOS all night they could just pin their ears back and send everybody. I have seen enough of Debord and his offense. We are not beating anybody that we are even with let alone someone who is favored.

You can't badmouth Debord in here man? Don't you know? You can't even suggest that he might be a bit long in the tooth, or that another fanbase might have disliked him without setting off pacemake...I mean, ruffling feathers o'plenty in here! To it's be fair, it sounds like our O-line was man handled tonight(which is a very bad sign going forward, unfortunately), so perhaps DeBord didn't have much to work with. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been both a tough night to call plays AND crappy play calling, but nonetheless.... I just got off work, so I've only seen the box score.

He doesn't have a creative bone in his body. 0 creativity. It's mind boggling. There is a reason he was run out of other places. He flat out sucks. I'm especially tired of the 5 yard routes on 3rd and 6. 8 yard routes on 3rd and 9. It's stupid beyond belief. This is the reverse of the Mallory at DC situation, when I believe Wilson kept him around.

It was actually worse than that. The line had a bad night but the OC should do something to help them out. When you operate within 5 yards of the LOS all night they could just pin their ears back and send everybody. I have seen enough of Debord and his offense. We are not beating anybody that we are even with let alone someone who is favored.
So you are saying that we were getting beat off the ball so we drop deeper and run deeper patterns and hold on to the ball longer?

This core game was lost on the line of scrimmage, which if you look back is what I was concerned about before the game, it is going to take time to clean up the Wilson mess on the Oline.

Would be curious to know how often they threw on traditional running downs. At some point, you have to occasionally go against tendency, especially when you’re losing up front. But make no mistake, the OL play that many touted as greatly improved wasn’t close to good enough last night.

You do know that MSU had a week off to prepare for us. Dantonio May be an jerk but he is a helluva of defensive football coach. They did sit sack and play cover 2 which is their mo. They did not try to press our outside guys they played a lot of press bail coverage man under and two deep. For the most part took away Hale and Westbrook. They brought al lot of corner blitzed and cover 3. Also different for them . They were very disciplined in rush lanes and kept Ramsey for the most part in check. They played very well defensively. We also played without Timian who is huge third down security blanket for Ramsey.
Played without Timian? Why?

So you are saying that we were getting beat off the ball so we drop deeper and run deeper patterns and hold on to the ball longer?

What adjustments did you see? The D makes adjustments in the first quarter but debord doesn't seem to be able to come up with anything in all 4. Some of the things that were working like throwing the ball to Scott rolling around the end were never gone back to. There are things you can do if you are getting beat up the middle but we didn't see anything so most think there was nothing to be done. I gave debord the benefit of the doubt last year, this year not so much. There is a reason why we pound teams that we are better than and struggle against everyone else. If what we are doing is working and they don't have the personnel to stop it, all good. If it isn't working then we are in trouble because there is no plan b.

Reactions: IUgradman
We began to release back in the flat (Majette). Hit him several times on scoring drives. Hit some guys between lb and secondary levels. Mixed up players who went into that area. MSU did finally get a lb yo that area or a robber coverage came down from secondary to pick off last pass.

Dantoinio is actually 6-5 after a bye. We were in a good spot going in.

We began to release back in the flat (Majette). Hit him several times on scoring drives. Hit some guys between lb and secondary levels. Mixed up players who went into that area. MSU did finally get a lb yo that area or a robber coverage came down from secondary to pick off last pass.

Don’t try to explain that to this group on here that play armchair OC. Your terminology is too complex for them.

Don’t try to explain that to this group on here that play armchair OC. Your terminology is too complex for them.
It was quite clear that adjustments were made as Indiana got within a touchdown of tying the game and then Coach Allen said exactly what I said yesterday that IU had to gamble to try to get the ball back and one bad angle led to to the clincher.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT