ADVERTISEMENT

Deboer with a big win

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
Fresno rarely beats Colorado State and they whipped them last night. It was last year's Indiana offense in action. Receivers always open. Hitting running backs on swing passes. Always seemed to have the right call. We are going to miss that guy. I love Tom Allen, but given the choice between those two coaches I'd lean toward having Deboer. I think he's going to go big time.

Fresno rarely beats Colorado State and they whipped them last night. It was last year's Indiana offense in action. Receivers always open. Hitting running backs on swing passes. Always seemed to have the right call. We are going to miss that guy. I love Tom Allen, but given the choice between those two coaches I'd lean toward having Deboer. I think he's going to go big time.
First, like Jssanto, I wish DeBoer the best. He did a nice job for us, seems like a good guy, and I hope he succeeds at Fresno State (and, perhaps, beyond).

That said, IU had some spectacular offenses going back to the Cam Cameron years, and where did it get us?

Defense wins championships.

Go Hoosiers!

That option was not available so why not just live in reality? Maybe he’ll be back some day.

First, like Jssanto, I wish DeBoer the best. He did a nice job for us, seems like a good guy, and I hope he succeeds at Fresno State (and, perhaps, beyond).

That said, IU had some spectacular offenses going back to the Cam Cameron years, and where did it get us?

Defense wins championships.

Go Hoosiers!
I agree. Under Bill Lynch/ Matt Canada our passing attack was nearly unstoppable but we never could get over the hump because we also couldn’t stop anybody.

loved DeBoer’s play calling. We will miss that but I believe that CTA is the right man for the job.

Why compare the two? Allen brought him in remember? He’ll be fine!

Yeah, I'm IU first but always root for the local teams here (Colorado St, Colorado, AF, Wyoming) to do well, but I placed a little bet on Fresno because of DeBoer running that team.....he just has a knack for running offenses...

(but Allen is the guy for HC at IU....)

At a place where it has been difficult to win, it's more about changing an attitude to build up a program, than it is about X's and O's. Despite his ability to scheme well on offense, KW understood it was about changing the attitude at IU. Unfortunately for him, he had issues like defense and recruiting QBs, not to mention his off field persona.

TA also knows at a place like IU, it's about attitude and culture. His first couple D's in '16 as DC; '17 as HC, were very good. They kept IU in multiple games those years while the O floundered. Let's hope this year's team finally can put all 3 phases together for a big year.

As much as I admire Coach Mal for what he did attitude-wise when he came to IU, Bill Snyder at KSU and Gary Barnett at NU may be the very best ever at it. Barnett was only OC for 1 year at CU (taking over for GD, ironically). Then he may pulled the greatest turn around of all time by being a master psychologist, not an accomplished X and O guy. He readily admits during his first couple years at NU, he wondered what he had gotten himself into? He had minimal support from the administration, poor/archaic facilities and an unbending Admissions Dept. Then won back to back titles in '95 and '96.

Reactions: 76-1
I really like Deboer and Tom Allen. I actually don’t think TA is a good coach on the field, at least offensively, but I love what he’s done to the culture of the program where every player wants to be here. Also his recruiting has been great. If he stays here for 20+ years, which I think he will cause he loves IU, then we will have 20 years of being a solid football team.

He can get some experience and carry on the tradition when CTA retires in 5 years
5 years?
It’s not like Allen is 70 years old.

If successful, Allen could coach 15+ more seasons. It’s not like Allen is a geriatric right now. He’s 50.

I really like Deboer and Tom Allen. I actually don’t think TA is a good coach on the field, at least offensively, but I love what he’s done to the culture of the program where every player wants to be here. Also his recruiting has been great. If he stays here for 20+ years, which I think he will cause he loves IU, then we will have 20 years of being a solid football team.
Coach Allen isn't the OC coach Sheridan is and coach Allen is a defensive coach but HC turning the defense over to coach Wommak so Coach Allen can focus on running the team not calling plays.

Coach DeBeor is a very good coach and play caller. I hope coach Sheridan can improve to be like him.

Reactions: ESalum86
Yep, I'd really like to have him back so we could lose him as a coach rather than an offensive coordinator. ;)

Coach Allen isn't the OC coach Sheridan is and coach Allen is a defensive coach but HC turning the defense over to coach Wommak so Coach Allen can focus on running the team not calling plays.

Coach DeBeor is a very good coach and play caller. I hope coach Sheridan can improve to be like him.
Hoosiers are 11 for 11 inside the red zone so far this year.

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT