ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer v. Sheridan

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
Kalen DeBoer clearly understood that he was playing with an inferior offensive line and essentially used quick, short routes for his qb's to get the ball out in a hurry as a substitute for the running game. Running plays were then mixed in to take advantage of defenses that were spread out. That also played perfectly into Penix's strengths and masked his mechanical flaws. This was the secret of our success in 2019. Until/unless Sheridan figures this out and returns to KDs script, we are gonna struggle.

At some point, Hiller is going to have to prove that he can either recruit better or coach better if we are going to take the next step as a program. If not, he needs to be gone. We are good enough in every other area to compete with anyone ( though the jury is still out on the punt game).

Kalen DeBoer clearly understood that he was playing with an inferior offensive line and essentially used quick, short routes for his qb's to get the ball out in a hurry as a substitute for the running game. Running plays were then mixed in to take advantage of defenses that were spread out. That also played perfectly into Penix's strengths and masked his mechanical flaws. This was the secret of our success in 2019. Until/unless Sheridan figures this out and returns to KDs script, we are gonna struggle.

At some point, Hiller is going to have to prove that he can either recruit better or coach better if we are going to take the next step as a program. If not, he needs to be gone. We are good enough in every other area to compete with anyone ( though the jury is still out on the punt game).
You are right about a couple things. We have to figure out how to simplify his reads. Or go back to just throwing the bubbles and screens and the quick outs and other timing stuff. Stuff that made him look good the last couple of years.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My concern is why aren’t adjustments being made during the game? If I can see what isn’t working, the coaches obviously can see the results and what is not executed. Make the changes!

Hiller is on very thin ice, and yesterday's performance melted some of that thin ice. When you've got the amount of experience returning on the oline like Hiller does, expectations should be high.

You certainly shouldn't have your senior tackle who has played a tremendous amount of football making three penalties in the season opener...

Everyone associated with the offense must do better, period. If I were Allen, I would let MP show out versus Idaho in hopes of getting him prepared for the Cincinnati game. He simply has to get back into game day shape and up to speed.

Our defense will get better as the season goes on. They will have to carry the load until this offense gets its sh!t together.

Hiller is on very thin ice, and yesterday's performance melted some of that thin ice. When you've got the amount of experience returning on the oline like Hiller does, expectations should be high.

You certainly shouldn't have your senior tackle who has played a tremendous amount of football making three penalties in the season opener...

Everyone associated with the offense must do better, period. If I were Allen, I would let MP show out versus Idaho in hopes of getting him prepared for the Cincinnati game. He simply has to get back into game day shape and up to speed.

Our defense will get better as the season goes on. They will have to carry the load until this offense gets its sh!t together.
I think it is more psychological than physical for Penix. Andrew Luck retired because he was always injured.

I think it is more psychological than physical for Penix. Andrew Luck retired because he was always injured.
It is clearly both although to the extent that the psychological leads to the physical (poor mechanics) you may be right. But Penix's mechanics looked really poor all of last season before he got injured. If he can't get his mechanics straightened out, then it would be better for the team to go with someone else. Three picks, in my mind, is just the final proof that he is not right. Also, if Penix really does "lead" then he has got to get more in your face with the linemen, particularly Jones. No excuse for what happened yesterday with the penalties.

It is clearly both although to the extent that the psychological leads to the physical (poor mechanics) you may be right. But Penix's mechanics looked really poor all of last season before he got injured. If he can't get his mechanics straightened out, then it would be better for the team to go with someone else. Three picks, in my mind, is just the final proof that he is not right. Also, if Penix really does "lead" then he has got to get more in your face with the linemen, particularly Jones. No excuse for what happened yesterday with the penalties.
Because of pressure Penix has gotten in a bad habit of throwing off his back foot. Hard to throw accurately leaning away from hits.

The offense was terrible, but one thing to keep in mind is year in and year out Iowa is one of the best defenses in college football. Phil Parker has made a lot of offenses look pretty stupid. I am no fan of Sheridan, but my guess is we'll do better than this going forward. Like Many I don't get why Sheridan did not become a Kalen Deboer protege. Why change what worked? The tight end delay was Deboers best play and it was not run once yesterday.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Im dissapointed in Caleb Jones! Saw a pregame thing where he thinks he can play at the next level! Not a chance after this showing! How many penalties did he have just by himself? May need to look at the backup LT soon if CJ keeps sucking!

Reactions: IUgradman
The OL seemed very inconsistent and this alone makes it very difficult to build any rhythm on offense. Penix was frequently under pressure and the running game was not a factor once again. Very disappointing display for what is an experienced and supposedly talented OL.

Reactions: td75 and IUgradman
Seriously, I'd be pressuring Hiller to make changes demanding positive results. Competition open for every OL position for the game next Saturday. Drill down and find out who's got the heart and pride and reward them.

Reactions: td75
My concern is why aren’t adjustments being made during the game? If I can see what isn’t working, the coaches obviously can see the results and what is not executed. Make the changes!
Nothing is worth a Custer reversal.

The year coach DeBoer coached QBs Ramsey's stepping out of the pocket when not needed ended and both QBs % shot up as they were better prepared than in the past. Every other year coach Sheridan has coached QBs and he never seems to fix issues QBs have. I really question his ability to coach at a high level even though I never question that he is a good guy.

If things don't change radically this season coach Allen needs to make tough decision and replacing coach Sheridan and Hiller. If things improve and show both can make the team better that is the best that could happen. For coach Allen to make IU a championship program he will have to make sure each coach is up to producing at that level or hire coaches that are.

The year coach DeBoer coached QBs Ramsey's stepping out of the pocket when not needed ended and both QBs % shot up as they were better prepared than in the past. Every other year coach Sheridan has coached QBs and he never seems to fix issues QBs have. I really question his ability to coach at a high level even though I never question that he is a good guy.

If things don't change radically this season coach Allen needs to make tough decision and replacing coach Sheridan and Hiller. If things improve and show both can make the team better that is the best that could happen. For coach Allen to make IU a championship program he will have to make sure each coach is up to producing at that level or hire coaches that are.
Maybe you should check out Joshua Dobbs stats at Tennessee.

Maybe you should check out Joshua Dobbs stats at Tennessee.
What does Dobbs stats have to do with coach Sheridan's performance as coach at IU. Coach Sheridan was a grad assistant with Dobbs in TN so we don't know how much he coached him or was helped by an offensive coach.

Coaching is about understanding the players and the skills they need. I had a QB coach that tried to correct a QB's throwing motion so he would quit over throwing the receivers. The problem was he focus on the wrong thing thinking it was over striding when the issue was really the way he held the ball in his hand. The classical answer to solve over throwing receivers was to shorten the QBs step and that was all the QB coach knew. He didn't really understand the mechanics of what went into a throw but knew the established corrections. It takes a deep understanding of techniques at all positions and was the reason I attended the clinics including a pro clinic each year to learn as much as I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: limestonecowboy
What does Dobbs stats have to do with coach Sheridan's performance as coach at IU. Coach Sheridan was a grad assistant with Dobbs in TN so we don't know how much he coached him or was helped by an offensive coach.

Coaching is about understanding the players and the skills they need. I had a QB coach that tried to correct a QB's throwing motion so he would quit over throwing the receivers. The problem was he focus on the wrong thing thinking it was over striding when the issue was really the way he held the ball in his hand. The classical answer to solve over throwing receivers was to shorten the QBs step and that was all the QB coach knew. He didn't really understand the mechanics of what went into a throw but knew the established corrections. It takes a deep understanding of techniques at all positions and was the reason I attended the clinics including a pro clinic each year to learn as much as I could.
I understand what you are saying about going to clinics. I too have attended many clinics. We as a staff regularly attended the Florida Football clinic, Nike Coach of the year clinics . Glazer clinics Butch Davis clinic Jimmy Johnson clinic Dennis Erickson. AFCS clinic. Urban Meyer. I have attended practices at Florida under Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. Practices for FSU under Bobby Bowden. Practices at Miami under Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Practices at FAU with Howard Schnellenberger. Practices for UAB under Bill Clark. Practices for SMU under Sonny Dykes. Practices at University of Saint Francis (IN) under KevinDonnally. Olivet College with Dan Pfifer. To this day I still watch YouTube videos on different schemes, different techniques. Even after more than 30 years of coaching I still try to learn as much as I can. Not too proud to say that I don’t know everything there is to know about football. I would have loved to watch some of your practices it would be great to watch a coach who has won a state championship. I believe watching one of your practices would of been more beneficial than watching all of those colleges combined. What I would have probably saw there would have been more applicable than all the time spent at all of those college practices.
As far as as your question about what does Josh Dobbs have to do with IU football the question was raised what an has Sheridan ever helped your right he may not have been helpful to his success at all but what I can tell you is that GA s spent a great amount of time coaching in college. Who maybe it was all Mike Canales who helped make Dobbs a record setting an at Tennessee.

Coaches often are their own worst enemy. Their egos won’t let them get out of their own way. And football coaches are probably more guilty than in any other sport.

I understand what you are saying about going to clinics. I too have attended many clinics. We as a staff regularly attended the Florida Football clinic, Nike Coach of the year clinics . Glazer clinics Butch Davis clinic Jimmy Johnson clinic Dennis Erickson. AFCS clinic. Urban Meyer. I have attended practices at Florida under Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. Practices for FSU under Bobby Bowden. Practices at Miami under Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Practices at FAU with Howard Schnellenberger. Practices for UAB under Bill Clark. Practices for SMU under Sonny Dykes. Practices at University of Saint Francis (IN) under KevinDonnally. Olivet College with Dan Pfifer. To this day I still watch YouTube videos on different schemes, different techniques. Even after more than 30 years of coaching I still try to learn as much as I can. Not too proud to say that I don’t know everything there is to know about football. I would have loved to watch some of your practices it would be great to watch a coach who has won a state championship. I believe watching one of your practices would of been more beneficial than watching all of those colleges combined. What I would have probably saw there would have been more applicable than all the time spent at all of those college practices.
As far as as your question about what does Josh Dobbs have to do with IU football the question was raised what an has Sheridan ever helped your right he may not have been helpful to his success at all but what I can tell you is that GA s spent a great amount of time coaching in college. Who maybe it was all Mike Canales who helped make Dobbs a record setting an at Tennessee.
I like you posting here because you understand football more than most and give good points about football. The biggest thing I learned while coaching was to use simple blocking rules and let OL men decides who to block along with running plays built on one another with counter play built in.

I like you posting here because you understand football more than most and give good points about football. The biggest thing I learned while coaching was to use simple blocking rules and let OL men decides who to block along with running plays built on one another with counter play built in.
The KISS theory Keep It Simple Stupid. I remember one season I had an offensive line made up entirely of International Baccalaureate students my tight end went to Princeton, one tackle went to Dartmouth, the other went American International, one guard went to Tufts the other went to MIT. The center went to Florida but did not play football. None of them weighed 200 lbs. They were so fun to coach. Our defensive line was terrified of them. The kid who went to MIT weighed 165 lbs his first game he had to block Vince Wilfork. We took them to overtime and Wilfork was not excited about playing overtime as Josh just cut him play after play.What was your favorite group to coach. I would imagine your championship teams were pretty fun.

I had my OL teaching them how to block and used Inside, man over them, or most dangerous as block rules because it was easy. We focused on feet, hand placement, and letting them decide who to block based on alignment with then doubling on DL on the first step.

With a counter play with RB reading the pulling player - we used different players IE guard, TE, FB [we didn't always have on in the formation], on the block to decide if cutting up inside the block or outside run if they sealed the DE. If IU would just have the blocking schemes I had and the variation of plays I bet the OL would play much better. The RB read the OL blocks and hit what hole was their and we had run action passes off the runs making defense pay if they over committed. I never wanted to coach college football due to the toll on families but did always wonder how my system could work in college.

I personally still have a wait and see attitude toward Sheridan. Tonight will be his 12th game calling the plays and last year was a strange year for a first season. The offense is admittedly inconsistent so far this year but there have been glimpses of effectiveness or at least potential effectiveness.

There was a very well-timed screen call in the Cincy game last week. Sheridan was anticipating pressure and he was right. Effective screens help get an offense going but the play also showed Sheridan had a feel for the chess match that was taking place on the field. It wasn't a bubble screen either, it was more like a middle screen that football seems to have largely abandoned.

There was another run play that went for good yardage where two TEs started the play off the LOS on the left and right side of the line. The pair then pulled to the 1 and 2 holes respectively and the back (Carr?) followed them for a nice gain of 7 or 8. That was an outside the box concept we could see more of tonight and one could also envision a spin-off passing play or two as well.

Penix's deep balls haven't missed by much so it wouldn't be surprising to see one of those connect tonight in Bowling Green.

A couple of critiques that could be offered: There isn't a rule that says you have to run it on first down. The Colts with the triplets use to fake that stretch play to James and then Peyton would try and hit Marvin over the top on a Post or a Go route. Establishing the run is fine but keep the defense guessing a little bit by working in some screens and play fakes.

Also why does the run game have to be 100 percent zone blocking? I'm not against inside / outside zone but if Indiana can get 3 or 4 old school power blocking plays that they run effectively that means other teams have to spend time preparing for it since it seems most teams don't run counters or traps anymore. If Jones and Bedford start leaning on people things move.

Some repeat points I know, just my two cents.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
ADVERTISEMENT