ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer to Fresno State??

I really like DeBoer, and without knowing for sure, would think he likes the challenge of taking on the big boys and the competition of the B10. I also don’t have a great sense of Fresno St as a FB destination. Are they even in the PAC Ten? If not, I’d pass, crush at IU and have a shot at bigger head jobs.

If they are PAC Ten, willing to pay $2M+, and he likes the Central Valley of CA, then he’d probably consider it.

But my heart for sure, and I think my head too, Says he likes it at IU, the challenge of B10, and won’t go after one year.

Goodness. There is no PAC 10. There is a PAC 12. And they're not in it.

Personally, I think DeBoer would be nuts to leave for Fresno State. I have to imagine he thinks he can put together a top 15 offense next year and maybe the year after. Then, if he's got the bug, parlay that into like the Michigan or Nebraska jobs that'll inevitably open up. Or some other major program.

Can't say I look forward to ever seeing a DeBoer offense full of 4 & 5-star talent lined up against the good guys.

Brian Hartline needs to be call #1 imo if DeBoer does decide to leave. Would really love him and Mike Hart as co-offensive coordinators
I am not sure co leaders works very often.
I should have understood that success leads to a HC job somewhere. I cannot root against the guy for leaving. Maybe a big pay raise and he stays looking for an even better HC job in the future
I do like Hart.
BTW, is that Brian Hartline the same guy who was a receiver on the Dolphins? Was he the guy that caught a pass and kept them from going 0-16 a few years ago? Guess I should look it up myself

I am not sure co leaders works very often.
I should have understood that success leads to a HC job somewhere. I cannot root against the guy for leaving. Maybe a big pay raise and he stays looking for an even better HC job in the future
I do like Hart.
BTW, is that Brian Hartline the same guy who was a receiver on the Dolphins? Was he the guy that caught a pass and kept them from going 0-16 a few years ago? Guess I should look it up myself
Yes, Brian Hartline played for the Dolphins. He is currently in his 2nd year as the WR coach at Ohio State and landed 4 of the top 15 receivers in the country this recruiting cycle (including flipping #1 from Penn State). Definition of a rising star

Tedford stepping down.
Will be a huge loss if it happens.
It's speculation. He could be a candidate at a Power 5 conference school at this rate. Just because he was Fresno State OC doesn't mean he's going back there. He definitely had a good year at IU, but I think we also had the players in place to make it happen. I wouldn't become overly concerned about this.

Was a question, lighten up Francis!

Like B10(is now 12 but still B10), it was a Pac10 in good old days, and I didn’t think Fresno was in it. Why I question him actually going back for that job.

Actually before that it was the PAC 8. And before that the Big 6 and the Big 5.

Reactions: vesuvius13
if CKD does leave, I'd be surprised if Allen handed OC duties over to someone who has no prior Coordinator experience, especially when the search that resulted in DeBoer's hiring paid off so successfully. Think Allen would likely do another national search of current FBS and FCS Off. Coordinators, like last time.

At least I hope he would, as opposed to just doing another hire of one of his former co-workers like Dan Werner.

Are you nuts? Do you know how hard it is to get a job like that? If offered he's gone
Personally, I think DeBoer would be nuts to leave for Fresno State. I have to imagine he thinks he can put together a top 15 offense next year and maybe the year after. Then, if he's got the bug, parlay that into like the Michigan or Nebraska jobs that'll inevitably open up. Or some other major program.

Can't say I look forward to ever seeing a DeBoer offense full of 4 & 5-star talent lined up against the good guys.

Are you nuts? Do you know how hard it is to get a job like that? If offered he's gone
I assume it's hard it is to get a MWC HC job. I also assume it's harder to get a P5 HC job. And, finally, I assume his overall ambition tends to the latter vs. the former and that 2-3 years of putting together a top national offense while competing in the Big 10 makes it more likely.

Maybe I'm making too many assumptions and, if he goes, I'm sure he'll be successful wherever he lands.

Last edited:
It's speculation. He could be a candidate at a Power 5 conference school at this rate. Just because he was Fresno State OC doesn't mean he's going back there. He definitely had a good year at IU, but I think we also had the players in place to make it happen. I wouldn't become overly concerned about this.
He's all over the news as the #1 candidate for the job. Theres a half dozen more links than this...

https://www.kdlt.com/2019/12/06/rep...d-be-top-choice-to-take-over-at-fresno-state/

https://247sports.com/Article/india...-to-fresno-state-search-head-coach-139935193/

https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/co...state/bulldogs-football/article238126554.html

http://sjvsun.com/sports/if-fresno-state-cant-sign-deboer-bulldogs-should-go-young/

http://sjvsun.com/sports/bulldogs/w...ford-at-fresno-state-here-are-names-to-watch/

I assume it's hard it is to get a MWC HC job. I also assume it's harder to get a P5 HC job. And, finally, I assume his overall ambition tends to the latter vs. the former and that 2-3 years of putting together a top national offense while competing in the Big 10 makes it more likely.

Maybe I'm making too many assumptions and, if he goes, I'm sure he'll be successful wherever he lands.
I agree If he wants a P5 HC position he might get there faster where he is. You would think it might take 3 to 5 to get there from Fresno.

No way he gets a power 5 job quicker from Indiana than as a head coach at Fresno
Just because it's Indiana or because it's a coordinator position? Because the following are examples of Coordinator to first P5 HC jobs:

Tom Allen, Indiana to Indiana
Dabo Swinney, Clemson to Clemson
David Cutcliffe, UT to Ole Miss
Manny Diaz, Miami (FL) to Miami (FL)
Pat Narduzzi, Mich. St. to Pitt
Les Miles, Ok. St. to Dallas Cowboys (TE coach) to Ok. St. (arguably with the NFL detour in between)
Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma to Oklahoma
Gary Patterson, TCU to TCU
Mike Locksley, Bama to Maryland
Ryan Day, OSU to OSU
James Franklin, Maryland to Vandy
Greg Schiano, Miami (FL) to Rutgers
Paul Chryst, Pitt to Wisconsin
Justin Wilcox, Wisconsin to Cal
Mel Tucker, UGA to Colorado
Jonathan Smith, Washington to Ore. St.
David Shaw, Stanford to Stanford
Chip Kelly, Oregon to Oregon
Clay Helton, USC to USC
Kyle Whittingham, Utah to Utah
Jimmy Lake, Washington to Washington
Mike Leach, Oklahoma to Texas Tech
Sam PIttman, Georgia to Arkansas
Dan Mullen, Florida to Miss. St.
Kirby Smart, Bama to UGA
Mark Stoops, FSU to Kentucky
Will Muschamp, Texas to Florida
Jeremy Pruitt, Bama to Tennessee
Jimbo Fisher, FSU to FSU
Derek Mason, Stanford to Vandy

That's just a list of current P5 head coaches. And I personally think it's crazy to think that he wouldn't be come a top HC prospect if he were able to make lowly IU into a top national offense with less 4*+ talent than most. Because if he does it at Fresno, or any other G5 school, it can always be pooh-poohed as the result of playing lousy schools 10 games/year.

In my mind, I also say having OC excellence at IU is a quicker path to P5 HC than from Fresno St. I also think he knows that or has made at least a two-yr commitment to IU. Why?

Do you think IU would have him out on home recruiting visits if they didn’t fee confident he’d be coming back? My guess is he’ll get a salary bump, but will be back for year #2 next fall.

And for selling his IU stint, he is essentially the “HC” of the offense, so almost autonomous which he can sell as almost HC experience in the future.

Just because it's Indiana or because it's a coordinator position? Because the following are examples of Coordinator to first P5 HC jobs:

Tom Allen, Indiana to Indiana
Dabo Swinney, Clemson to Clemson
David Cutcliffe, UT to Ole Miss
Manny Diaz, Miami (FL) to Miami (FL)
Pat Narduzzi, Mich. St. to Pitt
Les Miles, Ok. St. to Dallas Cowboys (TE coach) to Ok. St. (arguably with the NFL detour in between)
Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma to Oklahoma
Gary Patterson, TCU to TCU
Mike Locksley, Bama to Maryland
Ryan Day, OSU to OSU
James Franklin, Maryland to Vandy
Greg Schiano, Miami (FL) to Rutgers
Paul Chryst, Pitt to Wisconsin
Justin Wilcox, Wisconsin to Cal
Mel Tucker, UGA to Colorado
Jonathan Smith, Washington to Ore. St.
David Shaw, Stanford to Stanford
Chip Kelly, Oregon to Oregon
Clay Helton, USC to USC
Kyle Whittingham, Utah to Utah
Jimmy Lake, Washington to Washington
Mike Leach, Oklahoma to Texas Tech
Sam PIttman, Georgia to Arkansas
Dan Mullen, Florida to Miss. St.
Kirby Smart, Bama to UGA
Mark Stoops, FSU to Kentucky
Will Muschamp, Texas to Florida
Jeremy Pruitt, Bama to Tennessee
Jimbo Fisher, FSU to FSU
Derek Mason, Stanford to Vandy

That's just a list of current P5 head coaches. And I personally think it's crazy to think that he wouldn't be come a top HC prospect if he were able to make lowly IU into a top national offense with less 4*+ talent than most. Because if he does it at Fresno, or any other G5 school, it can always be pooh-poohed as the result of playing lousy schools 10 games/year.

You're right, of course....he's wrong. If he goes to Fresno and he's 5-6 or 6-5 the first couple of years he actually looses some luster....unless he goes in & kicks ass right away he'd be there at least 3 years.......Now, he might really like Fresno & be fine with that, but one more good year at Indiana puts him in line for a top 25-35 PF job, imo.

You're right, of course....he's wrong. If he goes to Fresno and he's 5-6 or 6-5 the first couple of years he actually looses some luster....unless he goes in & kicks ass right away he'd be there at least 3 years.......Now, he might really like Fresno & be fine with that, but one more good year at Indiana puts him in line for a top 25-35 PF job, imo.
I'll feel better when IU announces an extension for CKD, with a hefty buyout clause.

Does KD possibly have a buyout clause now? Would think Glass wouldn’t have ponied up $850K for an OC to let him walk really easily would he?
Fresno St announcing their choice tomorrow, frankly, I’ll be surprised if it isn’t CKD.

I sure hope coach DeBoer doesn't leave. If he does I wish him well and IU brings in a OC that is very good.

I don't hold anything against him if he does go. I just wish he did it after signing day. Also I hope he coaches the Bowl Game. But he would need to look after his future over ours. I saw that Fresno got a new 3* RB commit that looks good. Obviously he knew something before committing since he has until Feb to sign.

I don't hold anything against him if he does go. I just wish he did it after signing day. Also I hope he coaches the Bowl Game. But he would need to look after his future over ours. I saw that Fresno got a new 3* RB commit that looks good. Obviously he knew something before committing since he has until Feb to sign.

I’ve read that Fresno has a 14 day posting requirement which pushes “official” action out to 12/20, the end of the signing period. Same article talked about kids signing for aid, but not the NLI, if they want to wait for final word on new head coach.

I will be pleasantly surprised if CKD isn’t next HC at Fresno. Will be surprised and disappointed if he doesn’t call the plays at the Gator Bowl. The game falls in the middle of a recruiting dead period and Coach Tedford and most of the staff are still there.

He showed Coach Allen that the offense could be successfully opened up. That should remain, whether he stays or not.

Interesting tidbit:

The MW conference just signed a new TV deal with FOX. Each team will get $3.2 million.

Why go to a place with so many fewer resources?

Maybe 5 years as a Big Ten coordinator is better for a career than 5 as a MW HC after all, especially if we match his money.

Alvarez’s fist HC Coach was Wisconsin after coaching LB’s at Iowa and ND and 2 years as a DC at ND.

Hmmm...

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
I’ve read that Fresno has a 14 day posting requirement which pushes “official” action out to 12/20, the end of the signing period. Same article talked about kids signing for aid, but not the NLI, if they want to wait for final word on new head coach.

I will be pleasantly surprised if CKD isn’t next HC at Fresno. Will be surprised and disappointed if he doesn’t call the plays at the Gator Bowl. The game falls in the middle of a recruiting dead period and Coach Tedford and most of the staff are still there.

He showed Coach Allen that the offense could be successfully opened up. That should remain, whether he stays or not.
I would feel better if IU announced something about CKD staying, or even rumors about a different coach being looked at by Fresno. It started with Tedford stepping down, then scuttlebutt that CKD was a favorite.... Then... Nothing. Just nothing. No other rumors. No program is air tight and it's interesting that CKD is the only candidate seriously mentioned. No other P5 coordinator is rumored to even be interested in the Fresno HC job Even IU is silent about the OC position.

Reactions: DGJRieman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT