ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer to Fresno State??

Brian Hartline needs to be call #1 imo if DeBoer does decide to leave. Would really love him and Mike Hart as co-offensive coordinators

Last edited:
Reactions: Jssanto
Did some quick research because seems like there is a good chance Kalen will be going. Here are some potential replacements:

Coach - School - Offense - Salary

Jeff Lebby - UCF - Spread ISO - $200,000
Kevin Johns - Memphis - Multiple - $200,000
Zak Hill - Boise St - Multiple - $310,000
Rhett Lashlee - SMU - Air Raid - $350,000

Or if we go internal Mike Hart.

Kalen made $800,000 this year btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWilk1234
Did some quick research because seems like there is a good chance Kalen will be going. Here are some potential replacements:

Darrell Dickey - Memphis - Multiple - $275,000

Rhett Lashlee is the guy from they list.

Lashlee's not actually full-on Air Raid, having spent a lot of time with Malzahn, who IMO is still the most innovative "run offense" guy out there.

Reactions: daddyhoosier
We all knew there was a pretty good chance he would be gone. It means we had a good season. Let's hope we pay Allen and still pony up for a good OC.

Now realize, if we bring in a top end OC then he too is likely a year away from a coaching gig if we do well.

Hopefully not a done deal.
Could depend on how high he thinks he could possibly rise in the coaching food chain. If he thinks he could someday become a head coach at a P5 school, it might behoove him to get another year under his belt as an OC at IU. If IU could somehow swing about 1.25 m, they could compete with a Fresno State offer up anywhere short of 2.0 m. There are a couple very good reasons for him to stick around another year.
  1. Every stop in his coaching career thus far has seen huge improvement between year one and year two. Significant improvement at IU in year two over this historic year would look MIGHTY nice on his resume. Which leads to the second reason.
  2. IU has a ton of talented offensive pieces returning next year: QBs (DeBoer knows better than anyone what Penix could become under the right circumstances); RBs (last Saturday bumped the prospects for that room up a notch); TEs; WRs (stronger next year than this year, especially if Williams and, hopefully, Brown, reach the potential we think they have; and if Cronk comes back and Powell transfers in . . . WOW!

Last edited:

Question on that. If you did go with hart, wouldn’t you guys be concerned that the offense would be way too run focused

Reactions: JWilk1234
I really like DeBoer, and without knowing for sure, would think he likes the challenge of taking on the big boys and the competition of the B10. I also don’t have a great sense of Fresno St as a FB destination. Are they even in the PAC Ten? If not, I’d pass, crush at IU and have a shot at bigger head jobs.

If they are PAC Ten, willing to pay $2M+, and he likes the Central Valley of CA, then he’d probably consider it.

But my heart for sure, and I think my head too, Says he likes it at IU, the challenge of B10, and won’t go after one year.

Reactions: midwolfe
Question on that. If you did go with hart, wouldn’t you guys be concerned that the offense would be way too run focused

I don't know what Hart's offensive philosophy would be, but I'm no more worried about him making a run-centric offense because he played RB any more than I'd be concerned about a team running a 4-4 on defense because the DC played LB in college.

I really like DeBoer, and without knowing for sure, would think he likes the challenge of taking on the big boys and the competition of the B10. I also don’t have a great sense of Fresno St as a FB destination. Are they even in the PAC Ten? If not, I’d pass, crush at IU and have a shot at bigger head jobs.

If they are PAC Ten, willing to pay $2M+, and he likes the Central Valley of CA, then he’d probably consider it.

But my heart for sure, and I think my head too, Says he likes it at IU, the challenge of B10, and won’t go after one year.
It’s being reported it’s a done deal. He gone.

Possibly. If he wants to run a Pro offense I have my reservations. I am okay with a multiple offense that uses some Pro sets but in this day and age and in light of our current personnel I think if you don't have a lot of Spread in there you are antiquated. I was looking at the guy at Hawai'i but this is why I didn't list him...although I am going to be watching the Mountain West Championship game for sure (two potential candidates). I mean even Alabama and Michigan are becoming more Spread oriented. I'm not averse to Air Raid but I would prefer someone to come in who is pretty close to DeBoer philosophically.

Reactions: CDBRclass01
Real bummer for us...Hopefully we will sit down with Coach DeBoar and have the conversation about what would it take for you stay at IU. More money, free drinks at Nicks for life. What else can we offer him? Felt like his leadership of the offense this past season was a huge difference maker for the program.

Had hoped we could keep him around for a few years at least. Unfortunately if he liked Fresno St. and if the job is offered it would be hard for him to pass up the opportunity to be their HC. I'm very confident he will be very successful as a HC.

If he leaves to take the Fresno State gig, I'll hate to see him go. The good news is: 1) our football program is on the rise; and 2) the purse strings have been loosened (at least they were with DeBoer). We should be able to attract a high level replacement.

I don’t see this as a done deal. Deboer was at Fresno state for two years and had no history with the school before that. I think Indiana‘s offense will be at least as good next year as this year. CTA gives him a free reign here and next year he would probably be in a better position to entertain other offers if he chooses to move elsewhere.

I don’t see this as a done deal. Deboer was at Fresno state for two years and had no history with the school before that. I think Indiana‘s offense will be at least as good next year as this year. CTA gives him a free reign here and next year he would probably be in a better position to entertain other offers if he chooses to move elsewhere.

I like your thinking. Don't jump at the first job offered. Hold on for another year or two and look to land a higher level HC job as a strategy for DeBoar. Fred let's make this happen.

Kevin Johns - Memphis - Multiple - $200,000

Memphis' OC is actually Kevin Johns - I had that wrong. Johns was here at Indiana from 2011-2013 as WR Coach / Co-Offensive Coordinator - so that's an interesting connection.

The offense doesn't lose anyone major. If cronk comes back and penix overcomes his injury proneness, then we should be even better next year.

I think leaving would make more sense if Deboer felt there was risk of a dropoff next year that would effect his ability to land a HC position But I don't see how there would be much risk of that unless we just get hit with a bunch of injuries.

I hate to DeBoer but would hate to hold him back. He did an incredible job Sioux Falls was able to see them live twice in National Semifinals and in a National Championship game. With that said I am going back to my guys Rod Sith at Illinois and Mike Yurcich at Ohio State. Rod Smith’s job at Illinois speaks for itself. Yurcich did a great job at Oklahoma State and is quarterback coach this year although he is not the play caller this he does have experience. Both have been at Indiana in the past.

Would absolutely suck for his family to move around once you just landed in B-town. Doesn’t he have two fairly young kids?

MD made it clear when he came here he was on the fast track to HC. Now really the only question is does he jump at the first opportunity or does he gamble a bit on himself and IU and wait another year for a possible P5 gig? Maybe Purdue.. giggity

MD made it clear when he came here he was on the fast track to HC. Now really the only question is does he jump at the first opportunity or does he gamble a bit on himself and IU and wait another year for a possible P5 gig? Maybe Purdue.. giggity
MD? He was on a fast track to retirement. Not sure how KD made it clear he was on a fast track to HC. Many have assumed that, particularly after his very successful first season at IU.

He's got a lot of weapons returning here and his stock may well rise after another productive season for the Hoosiers' offense in 2020. If it were me, I'd wait for something better than Fresno State but it's not me and if he's champing at the bit to take over somewhere, then he's likely gone.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
MD? He was on a fast track to retirement. Not sure how KD made it clear he was on a fast track to HC. Many have assumed that, particularly after his very successful first season at IU.

He's got a lot of weapons returning here and his stock may well rise after another productive season for the Hoosiers' offense in 2020. If it were me, I'd wait for something better than Fresno State but it's not me and if he's champing at the bit to take over somewhere, then he's likely gone.

Derp meant KD... Mah bad

If we do get a new OC can his name be staggeringly different than the prior 2? Would be a great help not mixing up their names!

CTA made the DeBoer hire (amongst others)...I'm confident that, if required, he'll make another good hire here...

I will say this...I'm gonna be bummed to lose him...and the feeling will only compound if we lose Hart as well...

We all knew there was a pretty good chance he would be gone. It means we had a good season. Let's hope we pay Allen and still pony up for a good OC.

Now realize, if we bring in a top end OC then he too is likely a year away from a coaching gig if we do well.
Does every OC want to be a head coach? Are there any top OCs that may have been a head coach and would rather not have to run a program? Pay this coach well to start and add incentives to keep them here.

I don't like the idea of taking someone that hasn't done the job before. It took Allen a couple years to figure out how to be a head coach. Go out and get somebody proven like they did this year with DeBoer.

Does every OC want to be a head coach? Are there any top OCs that may have been a head coach and would rather not have to run a program? Pay this coach well to start and add incentives to keep them here.

Considering he was a head coach prior at the NAIA level and was pretty successful I would think he wants to be a HC.

Reactions: CC Mac
I hate to DeBoer but would hate to hold him back. He did an incredible job Sioux Falls was able to see them live twice in National Semifinals and in a National Championship game. With that said I am going back to my guys Rod Sith at Illinois and Mike Yurcich at Ohio State. Both have been at Indiana. Yurcich is from Ohio. Both have experience as being a play caller. It might be hard to pry Yurcich from Ohio State but May be able to get Rod Smith he did a great of turning that offense around.

Considering he was a head coach prior at the NAIA level and was pretty successful I would think he wants to be a HC.
There is a big difference between NAIA and the types of head coaching positions he would be looking for. He could have had a HC job last year. His resume would have gotten him in the door at several places.

He knows he will never be out of work as an OC whatever path he takes. If he wants to be a head coach, he will be gone this year or next.

Ramsey way have already made up his mind about returning next year. I could see a change with the OC make it easier for him to step away

Reactions: FamousShoes22
ADVERTISEMENT