ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer is overrated.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
He did improve the offense. But man, his playcalling at times left me scratching my head. He goes conservative with any lead. If KW was the OC for this team, we’d have 11 wins. I really believe that. Defense cost him a lot, but man he knew how to keep throwing darts at the board.

Reactions: troylw
He did improve the offense. But man, his playcalling at times left me scratching my head. He goes conservative with any lead. If KW was the OC for this team, we’d have 11 wins. I really believe that. Defense cost him a lot, but man he knew how to keep throwing darts at the board.

Agreed.

We quit the running game early, and I understand why. But when we did run, it was right at them, which had no chance. I would have at least tried to run outside a few times. How about a jump pass? That could work against a strong pass rush.

I could not disagree more. He created a functional offense around a quarterback with untraditional strengths. He was able to orchestrate success without the downfield passing game. I think he is a genius.

He cost us a few wins. I really believe that.

He cost us a few wins. I really believe that.
He was the reason we were in games this year. Outside the OSU game, we moved the ball all year. Our pass defense including personnel at all three levels was the weak point of this team.

He was the reason we were in games this year. Outside the OSU game, we moved the ball all year. Our pass defense including personnel at all three levels was the weak point of this team.

He was hot and cold. But Debord was just mostly cold. It was improvement.

IMO DeBoer's the main reason (after tonight I'm tempted to say the ONLY reason) IU was even in the Gator Bowl with 8 wins.

In one season DeBoer improved IU's B1G 10 scoring offense from 12th to 6th, its total offense from 7th to 3rd, its rushing offense from 11th to 9th, its pass efficiency from 9th to 4th, its TOP from 11th to 2nd, and led the conference in passing offense, ahead of Brohmbardi, Michigan with Shea Patterson, Minnesota with Coach Row-THIS-Boat, and tOSU with Justin Fields.

I suspect, given how the D played during the regular season, that if IU had been running Debord's offense again in 2019, 6 wins might have been its ceiling--they easily could have lost to PU and/or Maryland/Nebraska and, frankly, I wouldn't have been completely shocked if (again, w/ the 2017-18 offense) they had found some way to blow the Ball State game (probably with some special teams mistake).

IU fans should be thankful we even had DeBoer for one season, and should hope and pray that Allen can find a replacement of similar quality, because it appears such a hire will be crucial to overcome some apparently unresolved clock-management and special-teams issues.

Last edited:
Deboer did a great job. He has his flaws like not having a physical running offense, but his passing game is first class. It was greatly hindered by having a weak armed quarterback who candidly is a MAC talent with a huge heart. Penix in this offense is good for another two wins this season. If we had Deboer and Penix next season it would be a big time offense. It's going to take a really good coordinator to replicate his effort.

Reactions: bang63
We quit the running game early, and I understand why. But when we did run, it was right at them, which had no chance. I would have at least tried to run outside a few times. How about a jump pass? That could work against a strong pass rush.
Lol are you going to “jump pass” it all the way down the field? You have to give the defense some credit for not being able to run it. You also mention “running to the outside” but totally disregard that defensive tackles where running down IU skill position players on screen plays! Can’t run outside if you don’t have the speed to get the corner.

Terrible take. Worst take of the night. Without Deboer we are lucky to be in a bowl game.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and bang63
Unbelievable; only on an IU football board could anyone be so blind. IU was beyond fortunate to be in the game after halftime and those of us in attendance were elated and in agreement that IU made adjustments at halftime and came out like a different team on offense. Tell me when is the last time that can be said of an IU football team????? KD is the real deal and I hate loosing that guy. Wish him all the best and thank him for being a huge part of the reason this will always be one of this IU fan's most memorable football seasons for all the right reasons!

Reactions: red hornet
Unbelievable; only on an IU football board could anyone be so blind. IU was beyond fortunate to be in the game after halftime and those of us in attendance were elated and in agreement that IU made adjustments at halftime and came out like a different team on offense. Tell me when is the last time that can be said of an IU football team????? KD is the real deal and I hate loosing that guy. Wish him all the best and thank him for being a huge part of the reason this will always be one of this IU fan's most memorable football seasons for all the right reasons!
I would rather have CKD as a head coach than TA. He gave us the best offence possible with the personnel available to him and as great coaches do made good adjustments at halftime.

IU was beyond fortunate to be in the game after halftime and those of us in attendance were elated and in agreement that IU made adjustments at halftime and came out like a different team on offense. Tell me when is the last time that can be said of an IU football team?????
Exactly. Tennessee could have been up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter if their OC didnt abandon the run game in the red zone. We had 67 yards of offense in the 1st half (36 on our last drive) and were 0-5 on 3rd down. Made great adjustments against a front 7 that wasn't allowing us to run and was getting home with blitzes seemingly every 3rd down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT