ADVERTISEMENT

Deboer, Cronk, Ramsey, Hagan, Hendershot, Ballou, Rhea, James...

And this is why it takes 8-10 years to build a PROGRAM when you aren’t one of the historical “haves” that stay in the top 20.

You lose momentum.

The first wave of success produces players who leave because better players came, and coaches leave for “better opportunity.”

Can you survive the changes? Re-capture a new wave, a new momentum?

Saban can rebuild in a month.

We face a huge challenge.

Huge. But not impossible.

We should find our player leaders and make sure they know that IU is not viewed as THE DESTINATION because folks think we/they are not good enough.

Play with that chip on our shoulder and play accordingly.
Prove them wrong.

“You came here to build something. Time to put up or shut up.”

Beat Wisconsin.

You have news on the Peyton's that I haven't heard apparently.
Ramsey is no longer listed on the IU Roster. He is not participating in team activities this spring.

Hendershot has been suspended "immediately and indefinitely" from all football team activities, pending litigation stemming from an arrest and multiple charges including felony entry and domestic battery.

I'm pretty sure that's the latest on those two. I'll update you when I get more info.

Ramsey is no longer listed on the IU Roster. He is not participating in team activities this spring.

Hendershot has been suspended "immediately and indefinitely" from all football team activities, pending litigation stemming from an arrest and multiple charges including felony entry and domestic battery.

I'm pretty sure that's the latest on those two. I'll update you when I get more info.
Ramsey is in the portal but has not transferred AFAIK. Hendershot is suspended for now. Both might be back or one or neither. I will take any new information from you as speculation as well I guess.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ramsey is in the portal but has not transferred AFAIK. Hendershot is suspended for now. Both might be back or one or neither. I will take any new information from you as speculation as well I guess.
You are right. Everyone I listed could still come back. Anything is possible. But odds are, they're all gone.

Wow. What an Offseason full turnover.

How many teams can stomach such a blow?

I guess if CTA can do it once, he can do it again...
We've lost some tremendous leadership. But the base is still there, with the HC and many starting players coming back.

I am expecting Allen to fill in those leadership positions - that's his job.

With our schedule next Fall, we can still have a very successful season. I'm not throwing the towel in yet, but I just hate the perception of IU being a pass-through job, both for players and coaches.

Maybe, instead of worrying about 'body by Ballou', they'll worry more about developing their football acumen.

We've lost some tremendous leadership. But the base is still there, with the HC and many starting players coming back.

I am expecting Allen to fill in those leadership positions - that's his job.

With our schedule next Fall, we can still have a very successful season. I'm not throwing the towel in yet, but I just hate the perception of IU being a pass-through job, both for players and coaches.

Maybe, instead of worrying about 'body by Ballou', they'll worry more about developing their football acumen.
Time for CTA to earn that $2 mil/yr raise.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and DANC
Guy loves to stir the pot.

College football has introduced what is essentially free agency via the transfer portal. More and more guys are going to be leaving major programs each offseason. The last three Heisman winners were transfers. Ohio State lost three starters from the secondary, the defensive co-coordinator, and a position coach. Speaking of coaches, assistants no longer seem to stay in one place very long.

In sum, this is hardly an IU phenomenon.

Saban can rebuild in a month.

We face a huge challenge.

Huge. But not impossible.
Yes its impossible. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clueless. Until this university has bagmen that step up to avoid these situations it will continue. The "cultural" side of IU is too left to put football at a level of importance. You wanna see IU culture go visit the water cooler. Case closed!

This will never be a football school. Glass is leaving and Allen, if he is smart, will leave as soon as he has success from a senior laden class if he can bowl once or twice more. Glass did what he could for Ballou, but he could not match that Alabama dollar amount. Could you imagine explaining that to the regents at IU??? hahahaha joke! Unfortunately this falls into a liberal OR conservative category and this school leans left. The SEC is the opposite! Get it? Libs don't donate to football! Period! Where's Cuban? Ohhh yea backing the Hillary. F*cking joke!

Sorry for the rant, but its the truth. I had this out with Buff fans from Boulder and they all agree they hoped like hell for a conservative AD and thank God they hired Rick George, but he fights the regents on EVERYTHING! Tucker left after one year in Boulder as he saw the writing on the wall!

I know you all will plaster me for this but it has merit. And it's true! Saban and those boys down there are the furthest thing from the left you will ever see! WORD!

Yes its impossible. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clueless. Until this university has bagmen that step up to avoid these situations it will continue. The "cultural" side of IU is too left to put football at a level of importance. You wanna see IU culture go visit the water cooler. Case closed!

This will never be a football school. Glass is leaving and Allen, if he is smart, will leave as soon as he has success from a senior laden class if he can bowl once or twice more. Glass did what he could for Ballou, but he could not match that Alabama dollar amount. Could you imagine explaining that to the regents at IU??? hahahaha joke! Unfortunately this falls into a liberal OR conservative category and this school leans left. The SEC is the opposite! Get it? Libs don't donate to football! Period! Where's Cuban? Ohhh yea backing the Hillary. F*cking joke!

Sorry for the rant, but its the truth. I had this out with Buff fans from Boulder and they all agree they hoped like hell for a conservative AD and thank God they hired Rick George, but he fights the regents on EVERYTHING! Tucker left after one year in Boulder as he saw the writing on the wall!

I know you all will plaster me for this but it has merit. And it's true! Saban and those boys down there are the furthest thing from the left you will ever see! WORD!

Barry Alvarez disagrees.
Wisconsin did it.
We can do it.
Rant over.

Maybe cut back to de-caff?

Reactions: LeConte and YOTHN

Tell us all what a “Lib” is. I’m holding my breath. I think a better argument would be that Alabama is more successful in football because they don’t care about education.

I hope IU hires a football AD and gets a good one. Leftist because they aren't liberal any more they just don't like traditional sports. We need a football AD to keep the momentum going in football and ignore those opposed to hiring one. By saying a football AD I just mean one committed to improving the program and knowing what is needed. Working with all the programs and listening to the coaches is important.

Tell us all what a “Lib” is. I’m holding my breath. I think a better argument would be that Alabama is more successful in football because they don’t care about education.
A daughter of one of my neighbors went to Bama. Why? They have great incentives for young ladies up here. South Carolina and Bama had much better "deals" than IU or Purdue so she went. And you get my drift on the Lib or left thing. Not trying to be an ass about it but those schools are full of conservative football giving bagmen. Its been known for years. We don't have any. Why couldn't we step up and match Ballou?

I hope IU hires a football AD and gets a good one. Leftist because they aren't liberal any more they just don't like traditional sports. We need a football AD to keep the momentum going in football and ignore those opposed to hiring one. By saying a football AD I just mean one committed to improving the program and knowing what is needed. Working with all the programs and listening to the coaches is important.
Good post. I agree. Momentum is key.

While this is not an IU-only phenomenon, programs like IUFB need, and I mean NEED, continuity and momentum like life needs water. Look at Iowa and Northwestern. Do you think they got to where they are as perennial bowl teams (next step for us) because they always deal with turnover? No. Fitz had the same staff for about 10 years and Iowa speaks for itself. We need continuity

Others are comparing us to OSU and Heisman winners and that is ridiculous! Those teams just reload and re-staff every year and are full of tradition (and bagmen) we don't have. They've got recruiting depth we can only dream about. It took programs like OSU, PSU, etc decades of continuity to get to where they are now.

Now, we need that same continuity to build our program up. That starts, as you say, with hiring an AD committed to maintaining IUFB's momentum for the foreseeable future.

A daughter of one of my neighbors went to Bama. Why? They have great incentives for young ladies up here. South Carolina and Bama had much better "deals" than IU or Purdue so she went. And you get my drift on the Lib or left thing. Not trying to be an ass about it but those schools are full of conservative football giving bagmen. Its been known for years. We don't have any. Why couldn't we step up and match Ballou?

And how do you know that we didn't match Ballou's offer?

I would imagine there are other factors in play besides money. According to reports they had turned down multiple offers so what made this one different. IMO, probably wasn't money.

What the hell are you talking about?

WTF? You have mental issues.

This is effing insane.

Out of state students with good grades can earn full merit scholarships. That is a powerful incentive for parents whose kids would never qualify for need based aid.

FYI Rick George was Mike White's bag man at Illinois in their heyday LOL

If you say it's true, it must be.

Here's an update for you about Ramsey...

I'd love to see Ramsey at NU. He's give them toughness and stability in what will likely be somewhat of a bounce back year next season from awful one they had this year. And IU doesn't play them so easy to root hard for them. If we did play them, would be B10 championship, so if true, would be awesome.

I'd love to see Ramsey at NU. He's give them toughness and stability in what will likely be somewhat of a bounce back year next season from awful one they had this year. And IU doesn't play them so easy to root hard for them. If we did play them, would be B10 championship, so if true, would be awesome.
Would love to see him beat Purdue again.

He'll get beat up more at Northwestern than he did this year at IU.

Boston College??? That's a step down, imo.

Many felt he wouldn’t be going to a BETTER team than IU to be guaranteed starter. Would almost have to be a slight step down. NU is a great school and BC is still fairly big time program (often play ND if not every year.)

Many IUbrecruits are types with BC offers. I’m not saying it’s SEC good, but BC has sent plenty to the pros and has great legend of Doug Flutie to their program. Would hardly say IU’s FB program was seen as way more pedigree than BC. But ours may be seen as more on the rise now.

Worst off-season ever.
It's certainly the worst I can recall.

It's weird though. All of the coaches leaving, 100% understandable for all of them. Either taking significant promotions or moving on to blue blood programs. Can't fault them for that.

Also can't fault Ramsey, Gest, or Walker for making their calls that were pretty obviously about PT. Or Winters for apparently being taken flat footed coming from a small town to a really big pond of B1G football.

Cronk is a bit of a head scratcher, but if it's about wanting to only play OT, then I guess it makes sense & wish him the best.

But this James transfer just doesn't make any sense to me. The best explanation I can think of is that he committed (1) without having a proper appreciation for how good Stevie is and (2) maybe Baldwin is showing something special early. Other than that, the only rationalization I've got is a conflict with the coaches, but it seems awful late in the offseason to be putting in for a transfer.

It's weird though. All of the coaches leaving, 100% understandable for all of them. Either taking significant promotions or moving on to blue blood programs. Can't fault them for that.

Also can't fault Ramsey, Gest, or Walker for making their calls that were pretty obviously about PT. Or Winters for apparently being taken flat footed coming from a small town to a really big pond of B1G football.

Cronk is a bit of a head scratcher, but if it's about wanting to only play OT, then I guess it makes sense & wish him the best.

But this James transfer just doesn't make any sense to me. The best explanation I can think of is that he committed (1) without having a proper appreciation for how good Stevie is and (2) maybe Baldwin is showing something special early. Other than that, the only rationalization I've got is a conflict with the coaches, but it seems awful late in the offseason to be putting in for a transfer.
In a vacuum, I can handle any 2, or even 3 of those departures. But ALL of them in the same off season? Right after our best year in 25 years and we're finally primed to really get this program going?

The timing of it all is the real gut punch for me. Why now? Of all the times why now when we need the moment so badly?

People fail to understand that Ballou was a huge reason why Sampson James came here. They have a relationship all the way back to when Ballou was at Avon with James' two older brothers.

Not saying that's the only reason, but that's a really, really big reason why.

In a vacuum, I can handle any 2, or even 3 of those departures. But ALL of them in the same off season? Right after our best year in 25 years and we're finally primed to really get this program going?

The timing of it all is the real gut punch for me. Why now? Of all the times why now when we need the moment so badly?
"It's Indiana..... it's Indiana......"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT