ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1,470 of the Tuttle eligibility watch

Or so seems. Cannot understand why it would take so long on this ruling.
Because we are not Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Clemson, or Oklahoma, and the NCAA doesn't need us to generate football revenue. This reminds me of several years ago in the Big Ten, when it seemed that Michigan State could claim that a player missed a year of competition with a hangnail and get approval of everyone they submitted for a 6th year of eligibility, while we rarely received approval for a 6th year no matter what medical records we produced and even if we produced the Body for the Big Ten to do a full Proctology Exam.

Reactions: lorenaimee and 76-1
Don't worry guys, I'm certain the NCAA will let make a decision by game 8... They're all about looking out for the athlete ya know...(DWS)...:rolleyes:
We all know that the NCAA won't issue anything till right before fall camp. They put us on the back burner of any team that helps make them the most money. I am hoping that Tuttle is able to play. As I think He as the starter and Penix as a change of pace type Qb could POSSIBLY work. It allows for both to get playing time and could open up a lot of our offense in regards as in plays. Penix is an all around great player. He can scramble and can throw the ball. With Tuttle I see more command on the ball and accuracy. With Penix coming in to play it would create a unpredictable situation for the defense in our highest moments.

We all know that the NCAA won't issue anything till right before fall camp. They put us on the back burner of any team that helps make them the most money. I am hoping that Tuttle is able to play. As I think He as the starter and Penix as a change of pace type Qb could POSSIBLY work. It allows for both to get playing time and could open up a lot of our offense in regards as in plays. Penix is an all around great player. He can scramble and can throw the ball. With Tuttle I see more command on the ball and accuracy. With Penix coming in to play it would create a unpredictable situation for the defense in our highest moments.
Not sure the dual QB rotation is best for any team. I also don't worry about transferring b/c I'd wait for a season to end. Rarely do QB's make it whole season unscathed, allowing for other QB's to get playing time as well. Life & the Marketplace usually works things out. But for what it's worth, I'm pulling for Penix, who I think is very much the real deal. (Until Tuttle proves me or anyone else wrong and wins it outright on his own merit, which could happen.) BTW, the old dog Ramsey will not go away quietly and wouldn't be surprised if he still makes it tough on DeBoer who to choose.

In other news, I see that Kyle Hornibrook, the starting QB for Wisconsin is now a Florida State Seminole. He’s playing his final season in Tallahassee. He was a grad transfer and is immediately eligible.

Amazingly, Florida State did not land a QB in the last two recruiting classes.

Reactions: vesuvius13
In other news, I see that Kyle Hornibrook, the starting QB for Wisconsin is now a Florida State Seminole. He’s playing his final season in Tallahassee. He was a grad transfer and is immediately eligible.

Amazingly, Florida State did not land a QB in the last two recruiting classes.

With the exception of Brandon Doughty at Western Kentucky, Willie Taggart has not had "great" arms at QB.

Dual threats heavy on the run side.

Hornibrook is more like Doughty than his other guys.

We'll see.

The Seminoles aren't happy.
They made Jimbo mad enough to go get $75,000,000 from A&M.
They won't have another year of patience.

With the exception of Brandon Doughty at Western Kentucky, Willie Taggart has not had "great" arms at QB.

Dual threats heavy on the run side.

Hornibrook is more like Doughty than his other guys.

We'll see.

The Seminoles aren't happy.
They made Jimbo mad enough to go get $75,000,000 from A&M.
They won't have another year of patience.
Was the Hornibrook transfer expected ? I had not heard anything about this until yesterday but I am admittedly not always up to speed on the transfer picture. What's the likely scenario now at Wisky ?

Was the Hornibrook transfer expected ? I had not heard anything about this until yesterday but I am admittedly not always up to speed on the transfer picture. What's the likely scenario now at Wisky ?

Wisky signed a 4 star QB from Kansas

Plus, Hornibrook got dinged at the end of last season, and was replaced a starter in their final game.

Its a new day.
QB's leave if they don't start and leave if they graduate early.

Not sure the dual QB rotation is best for any team. I also don't worry about transferring b/c I'd wait for a season to end. Rarely do QB's make it whole season unscathed, allowing for other QB's to get playing time as well. Life & the Marketplace usually works things out. But for what it's worth, I'm pulling for Penix, who I think is very much the real deal. (Until Tuttle proves me or anyone else wrong and wins it outright on his own merit, which could happen.) BTW, the old dog Ramsey will not go away quietly and wouldn't be surprised if he still makes it tough on DeBoer who to choose.
I don't like taking a QB off the field for a series just to play another QB. It is okay if we want to use another QB to close out the game or if the starter isn't playing well. I could see putting in a running QB if we are trying to keep the ball on the ground. A fresh QB with running skills could break a long play late. I wouldn't put the other QB back in.

Wisky signed a 4 star QB from Kansas

Plus, Hornibrook got dinged at the end of last season, and was replaced a starter in their final game.

Its a new day.
QB's leave if they don't start and leave if they graduate early.

Yes - and I believe the true frosh they have coming in this season was the MVP of the Army All-American game. He was sensational.

Hornibrook was expected to lose the starting position this year as Wisconsin.

There is that old saying in football that if you are playing two quarterbacks, you don't have A Quarterback. it is one thing to have a special package for a running quarterback near the goal line, but to alternate series just for the sake of doing so could be very disruptive.

There is that old saying in football that if you are playing two quarterbacks, you don't have A Quarterback. it is one thing to have a special package for a running quarterback near the goal line, but to alternate series just for the sake of doing so could be very disruptive.

sometimes if you're playing 2, it means you actually have at least 2.

if PR and MP are both healthy, we will have at least 2.

i'll stay with PR till proven otherwise, as i'm higher on him than others here, and just didn't see enough of MP last yr to have a credible take one way or another.

obviously i haven't seen Tuttle at all.

if PR and MP are both healthy, we will have at least 2.

i'll stay with PR till proven otherwise, as i'm higher on him than others here, and just didn't see enough of MP last yr to have a credible take one way or another.

If you could break down film from last year you wouldn't go with Ramsey. He missed reading open receivers, bailed out of the pocket too soon instead of stepping up which made the OL look bad even when blocking, and unless his arm improves he doesn't get the ball to the receivers quick enough. Look at the PSU game and see the difference in the defense when Ramsey was in and when Penix was in. The defense crowded the OL when Ramsey was in and backed off when Penix was in because of his arm strength. The running game is much better and it took off when Penix was the QB.

It will be an interest QB competition if all three are ready for the Fall camp.

if PR and MP are both healthy, we will have at least 2 solid options.

If you could break down film from last year you wouldn't go with Ramsey. He missed reading open receivers, bailed out of the pocket too soon instead of stepping up which made the OL look bad even when blocking, and unless his arm improves he doesn't get the ball to the receivers quick enough. Look at the PSU game and see the difference in the defense when Ramsey was in and when Penix was in. The defense crowded the OL when Ramsey was in and backed off when Penix was in because of his arm strength. The running game is much better and it took off when Penix was the QB.

i saw the games just fine, and you're kidding yourself if you think we saw enough of MP last yr to really judge how teams will play him if he's the guy..

should be a fun battle, and i highly doubt it will come down to liveliest arm.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
I agree to an extinct. I'm not saying exactly every a series type. Saying a change of pace type of situation. Kind of how Georgia ran things with Fromm and Fields. Both are great throwers but one is more a threat to run. If that makes sense.

Yes, but ...

Lots of teams don’t have a single, dominant, clearly superior QB.

Even if you do, and especially when you don’t, a starter needs to know that a coach will make a switch if they don’t perform, and the No. 2 needs to be ready, and needs to be made ready.

I advocate playing No. 2 in every game. At least one series. Real, live snaps. and he needs to understand "you can't just go out there and give me a 3-and-out. I need you to move the damn ball. Score and you stay in. Being a No. 2 around here involves a LOT more than a clipboard."

Most coaches stick with No. 1 until the game is completely over because they can’t “risk” a lost possession - “the game is still in the balance.” But if/when a No. 2 has to go in cold, I’d prefer they have some real game experience.

If your starter is a 10 and your No. 2 is a 5, it’s an easier call.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
As far as the transfer rule goes and an example...Patterson, michys QB transfer, did not go through last year till late April. Also last year 63 football players requested waivers and 50 were approved (79 percent).

There is a new rule on the table to grant immediate eligibility but it's usually due to some kind of circumstance. Most everyone who gets immediate eligibility has some kind of legal representation seeing it through. Not sure what the situation is with Tuttle though and if there is any kind of hardship or circumstance causing him to want to transfer.

Last edited:
As far as the transfer rule goes and an example...Patterson michys QB transfer did not go through last year till late April. Also last year 63 football players requested waivers and 50 were approved (79 percent).

There is a new rule on the table to grant immediate eligibility but it's usually due to some kind of circumstance. Most everyone who gets immediate eligibility has some kind of legal representation seeing it through. Not sure what the situation is with Tuttle though and if there is any kind of hardship or circumstance causing him to want to transfer.
I don’t recall Patterson having a situation where a transfer was justified.
The same goes for the kid from OSU that ended up playing at LSU without sitting out.I can’t recall his name at the moment.I’m pretty sure he was beat out by Haskins and wanted out.
I’m not disagreeing with your post,I just have little faith in the NCAA,when it comes to being consistent with their rulings.

I don’t recall Patterson having a situation where a transfer was justified.
The same goes for the kid from OSU that ended up playing at LSU without sitting out.I can’t recall his name at the moment.I’m pretty sure he was beat out by Haskins and wanted out.
I’m not disagreeing with your post,I just have little faith in the NCAA,when it comes to being consistent with their rulings.
The new guidelines are pretty liberal. Regarding Patterson, he claimed the Mississippi coaches misled him, during his recruitment, about the pending investigation of the football program. The school ended up being sanctioned by the NCAA.

As someone pointed out, most of these waiver applications have been granted since the new guidelines went into effect. That doesn't guarantee anything for Tuttle, but I won't be devastated if he has to sit out a year. I think we can win with Penix and Ramsey this season, and there might actually be an upside to all of these guys being at different places with respect to remaining eligibility.

The new guidelines are pretty liberal. Regarding Patterson, he claimed the Mississippi coaches misled him, during his recruitment, about the pending investigation of the football program. The school ended up being sanctioned by the NCAA.

As someone pointed out, most of these waiver applications have been granted since the new guidelines went into effect. That doesn't guarantee anything for Tuttle, but I won't be devastated if he has to sit out a year. I think we can win with Penix and Ramsey this season, and there might actually be an upside to all of these guys being at different places with respect to remaining eligibility.
I believe that Tuttle already used his red shirt year last year so even if he has to sit out a year he will still have the same eligibility as Penix (3 years left after next year). They are stuck in the same class.

i saw the games just fine, and you're kidding yourself if you think we saw enough of MP last yr to really judge how teams will play him if he's the guy..

should be a fun battle, and i highly doubt it will come down to liveliest arm.
I learned early in my coaching career that watching the game didn't give me an accurate picture of what each player was doing. I thought the OL was inadequate until I watched film of the games and saw Ramsey hurting their blocking by bailing out when there wasn't pressure on him. I also thought he was throwing passes to the short receiver because no on else was open but found he didn't see the middle of the field and missed seeing open receivers at the intermediate level of the passing game.

I am not saying we saw enough of Penix last year but it seemed clear in the PSU game with Ramsey's demeanor on the sideline that the coaches were going with Penix from then on or until he didn't get the job done. He got injured so we didn't find out it that was the plan or not. It was clear that defenses crowd the LOS when Ramsey is QB but backed out when Penix went into the games.

Maybe Tuttle can claim the coaching change at OC at Utah left him little opportunity to maneuver so late into his signing a letter of intent? Throw it out there and see if it sticks.

Sort of similar to Tate Martell, although Martell has more of an argument in that his coaching change happened after 1 year with the program:

“Martell’s waiver is likely related to former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer retiring after the 2018 season. Meyer was replaced by Buckeyes’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Day. Former Georgia Bulldogs heralded prep quarterback Justin Fields transferred to OSU before Martell transferred, and Fields’ waiver request was granted.”

College football and basketball headed down a dangerous path if you ask me.
It’s turning into free agency similar to Major League Baseball,too many cases of immediate eligibility being granted.

College football and basketball headed down a dangerous path if you ask me.
It’s turning into free agency similar to Major League Baseball,too many cases of immediate eligibility being granted.

what you fail to address in the slightest, is how that's a negative thing for anyone.

seems like a win-win, for both the athletes who have only 4 yrs of playing and don't have to sit a yr if they feel a change is in their best interests, and the schools who can plug holes immediately, without using up a scholly for a yr while a transfer sits out.

what you see as "dangerous path", i see as in everyone's best interests and a good thing, and finally some added fairness to the kids who have been contractually held down while the adults could move about as they please.

what you fail to address in the slightest, is how that's a negative thing for anyone.

seems like a win-win, for both the athletes who have only 4 yrs of playing and don't have to sit a yr if they feel a change is in their best interests, and the schools who can plug holes immediately, without using up a scholly for a yr while a transfer sits out.

what you see as "dangerous path", i see as in everyone's best interests and a good thing, and finally some added fairness to the kids who have been contractually held down while the adults could move about as they please.
Ok dangerous path was a bit over the top.
I guess what I’m trying to say is,I think at the first sign of adversity these kids bail.
It’s a sign of the times I guess,I just think if a kid makes a commitment they should at least make an attempt to fulfill that commitment.

Maybe Tuttle can claim the coaching change at OC at Utah left him little opportunity to maneuver so late into his signing a letter of intent? Throw it out there and see if it sticks.

Sort of similar to Tate Martell, although Martell has more of an argument in that his coaching change happened after 1 year with the program:

“Martell’s waiver is likely related to former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer retiring after the 2018 season. Meyer was replaced by Buckeyes’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Day. Former Georgia Bulldogs heralded prep quarterback Justin Fields transferred to OSU before Martell transferred, and Fields’ waiver request was granted.”

perhaps he could claim he felt unsafe at Utah, due to gangster and terrorist immigrants crossing the border to the south in hordes.

it's already been officially declared an emergency, and isn't an official public safety emergency valid enough reason .

It’s a sign of the times I guess,I just think if a kid makes a commitment they should at least make an attempt to fulfill that commitment.
That's fine and dandy. Now make the coaches (and universities) honor their contracts and restrict their ability to move around and I'll be on board.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

With both Tuttle and Penix available next season, IU will have two great QB’s fighting for #1, with a much improved 3rd year QB as your #3. IU has never been in such great shape at QB!

I agree with much of what you have to say...however o believe you are wrong about the impact Penix had on run game as Indiana had already established the ability to run the ball early in the game while Ramsey was in the game. I do agree the Ramsey May have taken the check downs early or left pocket too early but he did move the chains. His lack of arm strength hurt in the Red Zone as he could not fit the ball in tighter windows and turned over or was not able to finish drives. I do think for IU to take next step they will need Penix or Tuttle.

I guess what I’m trying to say is,I think at the first sign of adversity these kids bail.
As long as its a one time deal its fine. If you transfer, are there for a year at another school and another coaching change occurs, you should be locked in at that point and not have that opportunity available anymore. JMHO

Officiating that favors the rich and policymaking that mirrors the officiating, is going to ruin NCAA athletics.

Had Tuttle transferred to Ohio State, you can bet your ass the kid would not only have an answer, but he would be cleared to play!!!

Gotta also wonder how many kids have learned the lesson "The grass isn't always greener on the other side"? LOL

ADVERTISEMENT