ADVERTISEMENT

David Ballou new head strength coach

Sports science will be getting a nice new space in the south end zone, accompanied by one of my all-time favorite things: the BOD POD: :D

esjk9u.jpg

Hey guys, the grass is dying, what should we do? Time to break out the spray paint!
IIRC, the first astroturf surface put in back in the late 60s/early 70s was paid for by the Varsity Club or some such outside organization. The Athletic Dept wouldn't even cough up for a decent playing surface.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IIRC, the first astroturf surface put in back in the late 60s/early 70s was paid for by the Varsity Club or some such outside organization. The Athletic Dept wouldn't even cough up for a decent playing surface.
Oh I totally believe that. We had grass when the stadium opened in the early 60s, and then had that crappy Astroturf for probably 25 years. The end zone font never changed, so I assume they just kept it the same for that entire time frame. The only thing that changed was when Cam arrived, and they stuck that gigantic oval logo in the middle of the field.

Then when we returned to grass in 1998, it always looked horrible (the fact that they barely even painted it didn’t help either), culminating in it getting a disease and dying during the first year of the DiNardo area. They literally spray-painted the middle of the field green.

Oh I totally believe that. We had grass when the stadium opened in the early 60s, and then had that crappy Astroturf for probably 25 years. The end zone font never changed, so I assume they just kept it the same for that entire time frame. The only thing that changed was when Cam arrived, and they stuck that gigantic oval logo in the middle of the field.

Then when we returned to grass in 1998, it always looked horrible (the fact that they barely even painted it didn’t help either), culminating in it getting a disease and dying during the first year of the DiNardo area. They literally spray-painted the middle of the field green.

One of our low points...

Man, I hated that oval logo. It really turned me off to the interlocking IU for football. I like it now, but it took awhile.

Man, I hated that oval logo. It really turned me off to the interlocking IU for football. I like it now, but it took awhile.
zodzj4.jpg

LARGE

I like how you could see the old IU logo underneath the oval. And even when they painted over the oval on the old scoreboard, you could still see that!

zmkple.jpg

995_0058.JPG

Those black unis were brutal and IU was absolutely destroyed that day vs UK in '97, 49-7... And the game wasn't that close!!!

Hopefully they never break out black jerseys again.

Frankly, the Athletic Department budget at that time might not have had enough to cover the expense. By the way, the Varsity Club, which plays a significant role in fund raising, is part of IU Athletics and not an outside organization.

By the way, the Varsity Club, which plays a significant role in fund raising, is part of IU Athletics and not an outside organization.
I was of the understanding that the Varsity Club was a part of the IU Alumni Association, separate from the Athletic Department. BICBW.

At any rate, my point was that at the time, the Athletic Department was unwilling (or unable) to pay for even the maintenance and upkeep of their own assets.

I was of the understanding that the Varsity Club was a part of the IU Alumni Association, separate from the Athletic Department. BICBW.

At any rate, my point was that at the time, the Athletic Department was unwilling (or unable) to pay for even the maintenance and upkeep of their own assets.
UM, it could well be that your recollection of the inability of the Athletic Department's finances to support a new surface for the football field is correct. It was about 1966 that the new outdoor track complex was completed at considerable expense and hosted the 1966 NCAA outdoor track and field championship meet. I do not know how that was paid for, but financings were less complex then than in modern times.

It does actually appear that they replaced that turf after Wyche left, but either way, it sucked.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
You’re welcome.
LARGE

vfdtmp.jpg

Even that looked better than the oval...

Glad both of them are history.

Cam and Sam both meant well but particularly in Cam's case, throwing everything associated with the previous coach out the door and showing no respect to what he'd accomplished backfired by splitting the fan base and solidifying a splinter group who were more than ready to ultra criticize a guy who they felt had actively disrespected a really great guy (Coach Bill Mallory) who deserved far better...

Sports science will be getting a nice new space in the south end zone, accompanied by one of my all-time favorite things: the BOD POD: :D

esjk9u.jpg

Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL. Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL. Hello, HAL, do you read me? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Do you read me, HAL? Do you read me, HAL? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Hello, HAL, do you read me? Do you read me, HAL?

zodzj4.jpg

LARGE

I like how you could see the old IU logo underneath the oval. And even when they painted over the oval on the old scoreboard, you could still see that!

zmkple.jpg

995_0058.JPG
Oh wow those black jerseys are nice. Black Jersey, black helmet, white pants. They need to bring those back 1 game a year lol. I’ve never seen those. Too young.

Oh wow those black jerseys are nice. Black Jersey, black helmet, white pants. They need to bring those back 1 game a year lol. I’ve never seen those. Too young.
Oh no. VBG

We wore those exactly one time. Against Kentucky in 1997. We lost 49-7, and Tim Couch through like six touchdowns against us. You will never see those again. Ha ha

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Oh no. VBG

We wore those exactly one time. Against Kentucky in 1997. We lost 49-7, and Tim Couch through like six touchdowns against us. You will never see those again. Ha ha

What KY game did David Spade come out on the field with a microphone? They whipped him through the white lot just as we were walking in.

Never knew about the Spade appearance at UK game in '05. I do recall my local radio station switching over to the PU at AZ pre-game with the Cliz that night.

As for those Wyche unis in '83, isn't that a picture of Connor Cook's dad, Chris?

Never knew about the Spade appearance at UK game in '05. I do recall my local radio station switching over to the PU at AZ pre-game with the Cliz that night.

As for those Wyche unis in '83, isn't that a picture of Connor Cook's dad, Chris?
They also played a video of Bill Mallory addressing the team before that Kentucky game, and I believe “kick their ass” blared out through the speakers. It was great. And yes that’s Connor Cook’s dad.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT