ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich smh

One thing everyone is missing. Knight wanted pretty much total control of the sponsors and the athletic department wanted that same control. That played a part in all this.
Exactly. BK held the Adidas contract personally for years and was never happy that it eventually became a contract that covered all IU sports (with IU as the new contract party).

meh I don't take it that serious... I enjoyed it

I didn't hear much, but what I did hear was two guys shooting the shit and giving each other a hard time. Was it insightful? Hell no. Is Dakich a dick? Hell yes. Why would anyone expect anything else?

Reactions: ulrey
Knight has kissed and made up with IU. He’s been to a baseball game, a women’s bball game, and obviously the men’s game. Why the hell are we still bickering about this crap?

Manipulate him???

Getting a basketball weight room that wasn't a closet.
Getting pay for the assistant coaches on par with the rest of the Big Ten.
Meanwhile Doninger shelled out huge money (at the time and for Indiana football) for that train wreck of a defensive coordinator James Bell in Cameron's last year.
And prior Doninger was meeting with Alford discussing..... well you already know.

Doninger was a flat out abortion as an athletic director, and in hindsight it's a shame Knight lobbied for him to get the job in the first place.
Knight didn't want a boss and Doninger fit the bill.

Unfortunately the rest of the sports suffered under his "leadership"

Dane and Dakich have the exact same personalities. They are clones of each other. Always messing with each other and very good friends.

I should know better than try to listen to anything on his show no matter how bad I might want to hear from his guest.

I attempted to listen to Fife on his show and here are a couple of takeaways.

1. Dan is rude as hell. Why anyone would go on his show is beyond me. He would ask a question and would never let Fife finish his answer before jumping in to tell him he is wrong or doesn’t agree with him.

2. How in the hell does Dan not even acknowledge that there has been a split between former players (pre/post Knight firing) and the fan base? All he has to do is literally listen to any former player, other than himself. I have probably heard at least 10 former players talk about it in the last few years alone. Hell AJ had 4 of them on his show during the coaching search talking about it. Or take 15 minutes to read through any IU fan forum on the state of the program or the direction we have gone post Knight to realize how fractured it is.

Bottom line, Dan as always, came across like a bumbling idiot who has his own agenda and doesn’t care what anyone else has to say. I really don’t know how anyone involved with IU would go on his show.
The whole thing annoyed me whether they were joking or not I don't know but it was just annoying... But the worst part for me was when Dan started saying stuff like "you need to get rid of the Candy stripes kids don't want to wear that crap and you need to put the names on their back and move on..." Some may say he was joking I don't know but it sure sounded real to me... Those aren't things you say on the radio if you have any respect for your former college and its history and tradition... He just comes across bitter and angry and it's not fun to listen to... But yeah I make the mistake every now and again and I only listened because I wanted to hear Dane... Unfortunately that never happened LOL

Reactions: Beorik
The whole thing annoyed me whether they were joking or not I don't know but it was just annoying... But the worst part for me was when Dan started saying stuff like "you need to get rid of the Candy stripes kids don't want to wear that crap and you need to put the names on their back and move on..." Some may say he was joking I don't know but it sure sounded real to me... Those aren't things you say on the radio if you have any respect for your former college and its history and tradition... He just comes across bitter and angry and it's not fun to listen to... But yeah I make the mistake every now and again and I only listened because I wanted to hear Dane... Unfortunately that never happened LOL
Yikes...let's hope he was kidding.

He's been neutral to anti candy stripes for a while. I've heard him say things like, "nobody cared about the candy stripes" or "they need to get rid of the candy stripes" for quite some time.

Since Covid put an end to travelling, I listen to him over lunch. He comes on at noon local time and within the first 5-10 min I know if I'm going to listen or not. I've already turned it off today. He's on a liberal media/wokes/gonna buy a gun/espn tear.

The only real appointment listening is Monday's at 12:30 when he has Don Fischer on during football and hoops season.

Reactions: jverlb and kkott
Like him or not his comments started this thread with approx. 40 responses. I don't care to listen. He's making a living and he is pretty good as a color guy. He just doesn't have enough to say for me to listen to the radio show. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: kkott
He's been neutral to anti candy stripes for a while. I've heard him say things like, "nobody cared about the candy stripes" or "they need to get rid of the candy stripes" for quite some time.

Since Covid put an end to travelling, I listen to him over lunch. He comes on at noon local time and within the first 5-10 min I know if I'm going to listen or not. I've already turned it off today. He's on a liberal media/wokes/gonna buy a gun/espn tear.

The only real appointment listening is Monday's at 12:30 when he has Don Fischer on during football and hoops season.
That is disappointing. I had taller assumptions about him than that.

That is disappointing. I had taller assumptions about him than that.
FWIW, I've never taken that as being anti-IU. I've always thought it more of the idea of try something different and get with the current times. I do think he's an IU fan and wants the program to be successful.

Dane and Dakich have the exact same personalities. They are clones of each other. Always messing with each other and very good friends.
Obviously, quite a few people here aren’t very close to the program since they’re unaware of the relationship between Dane and Dan. Further proof of the insane animus directed at DD for no good reason.

Yikes...let's hope he was kidding.
I hope he was kidding too but if you actually listen to it when he makes that comment about getting rid of the candy stripes you can hear Dane actually scoff in the background.... That's what made me think Dan wasn't joking... Who knows?

Obviously, quite a few people here aren’t very close to the program since they’re unaware of the relationship between Dane and Dan. Further proof of the insane animus directed at DD for no good reason.
I disagree with that because I heard their initial interview when Dane got hired and Dan was a totally different person in that interview... So I know that they're pretty tight... But still it's irresponsible for Dan to get on the radio and trash the program on air like he did in this interview it's not good for the existing players or the incoming recruits to hear that kind of stuff on the radio in my opinion it doesn't benefit anyone

I disagree with that because I heard their initial interview when Dane got hired and Dan was a totally different person in that interview... So I know that they're pretty tight... But still it's irresponsible for Dan to get on the radio and trash the program on air like he did in this interview it's not good for the existing players or the incoming recruits to hear that kind of stuff on the radio in my opinion it doesn't benefit anyone
He didn’t “trash the program” in that interview.

He must need ratings again. Piss off the IU fans and make the PU grads touch themselves. Sounds like a good strategy.

Last edited:
I ran face to face into Dane several years ago inside Breslin offices during the summer. I try to visit basketball facilities when I am on the road and there is always an open door.

I introduced myself he asked me where i lived...I told him and that in fact the same subdivision with DD in Zville in case he had visited. He laughed and said "Oh, I am sorry". seemed like a friendly jab to me. He then took me on a full tour.

He did trash the program for several minutes......then he threw in a "you know I'm just kidding". Classic emotion burn, followed by guilt. Unfortunately, there was no remorse as I never heard an apology....and more upsetting, I never heard the summer update from Fife.

Again as an IU fan since 1976 at 4 years old that's how it came across to me as I listened to it that's just my interpretation if you disagree that's totally fine... He didn't necessarily trash the program but he wasn't speaking positively and he was trashing tradition and he was trashing the importance of the alumni having a connection with the program and the fan base... Again just my opinion and how he came across to me... He might have been joking I don't know but to the average listener I would be surprised if they interpreted him as joking around...

He did trash the program for several minutes......then he threw in a "you know I'm just kidding". Classic emotion burn, followed by guilt. Unfortunately, there was no remorse as I never heard an apology....and more upsetting, I never heard the summer update from Fife.
He wasn't trashing the program.

Again as an IU fan since 1976 at 4 years old that's how it came across to me as I listened to it that's just my interpretation if you disagree that's totally fine... He didn't necessarily trash the program but he wasn't speaking positively and he was trashing tradition and he was trashing the importance of the alumni having a connection with the program and the fan base... Again just my opinion and how he came across to me... He might have been joking I don't know but to the average listener I would be surprised if they interpreted him as joking around...
He loves the University and the basketball program. If he’s disgusted by certain things, it’s often the superficial knowledge and often stereotypical impressions some “fans” have have of it (the program), as they’re not remotely close to the actual reality of how things really are and have been for years. He’s definitely derisive of people who purport to be fans but speak in obvious cliches and generalities, effectively demonstrating their ignorance. He definitely doesn’t suffer those types at all.

And that's completely fine he has his right to his own opinion obviously... But I don't think I was speaking in cliches and generalities and I definitely don't think I was demonstrating ignorance... I was simply commenting on my thoughts about that particular interview...

Reactions: Birnk403
That is too bad, Hopefully he is able to find peace in the situation.

Knight has kissed and made up with IU. He’s been to a baseball game, a women’s bball game, and obviously the men’s game. Why the hell are we still bickering about this crap?

Good point.

Yeah, but, the thread is about Dan's interview with Dane not about RMK...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT