ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich smh

Beorik

Junior
Sep 25, 2019
I should know better than try to listen to anything on his show no matter how bad I might want to hear from his guest.

I attempted to listen to Fife on his show and here are a couple of takeaways.

1. Dan is rude as hell. Why anyone would go on his show is beyond me. He would ask a question and would never let Fife finish his answer before jumping in to tell him he is wrong or doesn’t agree with him.

2. How in the hell does Dan not even acknowledge that there has been a split between former players (pre/post Knight firing) and the fan base? All he has to do is literally listen to any former player, other than himself. I have probably heard at least 10 former players talk about it in the last few years alone. Hell AJ had 4 of them on his show during the coaching search talking about it. Or take 15 minutes to read through any IU fan forum on the state of the program or the direction we have gone post Knight to realize how fractured it is.

Bottom line, Dan as always, came across like a bumbling idiot who has his own agenda and doesn’t care what anyone else has to say. I really don’t know how anyone involved with IU would go on his show.

Listened to the Dakich-Fife interview also. Dakich is still clearly angry about not getting the IU HC job. Still talking about getting "fired" 15 years ago is a big problem for anybody, but Dakich has it still living in his head. He is a major gasbag that likes to hear himself talk and thinks he's smarter than anyone else. He seemed bitter also about the "lies" Knight supposedly told him when recruiting him. I'm not sure what Knight could have lied about other than how he perceived Dakich would fit in the program. I suspect this has more to do with Dakich having perceived he would get more PT than he did (he got more PT than a guy of his talent level should have gotten at school at the level IU was at the time. Dakich, I guess, still doesn't see his talent limitations as a player.

I regret the time wasted trying to listen to that. There were so many questions Dakich could have asked that would have enlightened us on what has occurred during the practices held so far. I'm not sure why Fife was so cordial to him what with all of the interruptions and continuing to refer to Dakich as "coach" and all.

However, the talk about rifts between players pre/post Knight firing seems kind of meaningless. I'm not sure how that impacts the program's success now. The comments on Woodson's personality, care for players and points of emphasis for recruits and parents seems to resonate and verifies what I think will be a strength going forward - recruiting - and i suspect Woodson is going to do much better on the recruiting trail than any of the coaches during the last 20 years.

I should know better than try to listen to anything on his show no matter how bad I might want to hear from his guest.

I attempted to listen to Fife on his show and here are a couple of takeaways.

1. Dan is rude as hell. Why anyone would go on his show is beyond me. He would ask a question and would never let Fife finish his answer before jumping in to tell him he is wrong or doesn’t agree with him.

2. How in the hell does Dan not even acknowledge that there has been a split between former players (pre/post Knight firing) and the fan base? All he has to do is literally listen to any former player, other than himself. I have probably heard at least 10 former players talk about it in the last few years alone. Hell AJ had 4 of them on his show during the coaching search talking about it. Or take 15 minutes to read through any IU fan forum on the state of the program or the direction we have gone post Knight to realize how fractured it is.

Bottom line, Dan as always, came across like a bumbling idiot who has his own agenda and doesn’t care what anyone else has to say. I really don’t know how anyone involved with IU would go on his show.
I agree with your assessment

Reactions: Beorik
I won't be listening to any more Dakich stuff. Don't waste your time listening to it if you haven't. Fife couldn't get in one positive thing about IU without Dakich bashing it. Sounded like straight jealousy. I wanted to hear Fife's comments but never did. I would be surprised if Fife does another interview with Dakich. What really ticked me off was how Dakich said he was just kidding at the end instead of apologizing for his ridiculous behavior.

I won't be listening to any more Dakich stuff. Don't waste your time listening to it if you haven't. Fife couldn't get in one positive thing about IU without Dakich bashing it. Sounded like straight jealousy. I wanted to hear Fife's comments but never did. I would be surprised if Fife does another interview with Dakich. What really ticked me off was how Dakich said he was just kidding at the end instead of apologizing for his ridiculous behavior.
You realize Dan and Dane are buddies right?

I think the vast majority of IU partisans, very much including the former players, have buried all hatchets and moved on. I talk fairly regularly with a former player I won’t name. This former player has had his ups and downs with RMK. But, at this point, he’s pretty much at peace with it all. He’s cool with Coach, he’s cool with IU. And I get the impression that most former players fall into this category.

But, clearly, there are still a handful who don’t. And Dakich is one of them. Keep in mind that Dan had some involvement in Knight’s demise — he was on the other end of the phone when Felling made the comments that led to Felling’s (and eventually Knight’s) firing. And, of course, on top of that he stepped in as interim coach and has always been chapped that they hired Crean instead of him.

He’s an increasingly isolated voice…which only really matters because it has a microphone parked in front of it.

Reactions: UncleMark
I think the vast majority of IU partisans, very much including the former players, have buried all hatchets and moved on. I talk fairly regularly with a former player I won’t name. This former player has had his ups and downs with RMK. But, at this point, he’s pretty much at peace with it all. He’s cool with Coach, he’s cool with IU. And I get the impression that most former players fall into this category.

But, clearly, there are still a handful who don’t. And Dakich is one of them. Keep in mind that Dan had some involvement in Knight’s demise — he was on the other end of the phone when Felling made the comments that led to Felling’s (and eventually Knight’s) firing. And, of course, on top of that he stepped in as interim coach and has always been chapped that they hired Crean instead of him.

He’s an increasingly isolated voice…which only really matters because it has a microphone parked in front of it.
Pretty deceitful of you to imply that Dan had any hand in RMK’s demise. Yes, he was on the phone call with Felling which led to Felling being fired, getting butthurt, and leaking the tape. Dan had nothing to do with either decision and I believe actively tried to talk Felling out of it.

Pretty deceitful of you to imply that Dan had any hand in RMK’s demise. Yes, he was on the phone call with Felling which led to Felling being fired, getting butthurt, and leaking the tape. Dan had nothing to do with either decision and I believe actively tried to talk Felling out of it.
What you fail to acknowledge is that BK was incredibly angry at not only Felling but also Dakich as a result of that call. Their relationship was never the same after it, and that’s likely the connection to Knight’s firing of which Crazed spoke.

The guy is unlistenable..I've tried numerous times the last two months..I last 2 minutes..
He takes rudeness to a new level..Like he say's it's his show..So I don't even attempt it anymore..
Sirius radio never sounded so good ...

Dakich said that he turned the job down.

The guy is unlistenable..I've tried numerous times the last two months..I last 2 minutes..
He takes rudeness to a new level..Like he say's it's his show..So I don't even attempt it anymore..
Schtick. I haven't heard him for a long time but sounds like the act is the same. Seems to work for him, but not something I personally enjoy.

Listened to the Dakich-Fife interview also. Dakich is still clearly angry about not getting the IU HC job. Still talking about getting "fired" 15 years ago is a big problem for anybody, but Dakich has it still living in his head. He is a major gasbag that likes to hear himself talk and thinks he's smarter than anyone else. He seemed bitter also about the "lies" Knight supposedly told him when recruiting him. I'm not sure what Knight could have lied about other than how he perceived Dakich would fit in the program. I suspect this has more to do with Dakich having perceived he would get more PT than he did (he got more PT than a guy of his talent level should have gotten at school at the level IU was at the time. Dakich, I guess, still doesn't see his talent limitations as a player.

I regret the time wasted trying to listen to that. There were so many questions Dakich could have asked that would have enlightened us on what has occurred during the practices held so far. I'm not sure why Fife was so cordial to him what with all of the interruptions and continuing to refer to Dakich as "coach" and all.

However, the talk about rifts between players pre/post Knight firing seems kind of meaningless. I'm not sure how that impacts the program's success now. The comments on Woodson's personality, care for players and points of emphasis for recruits and parents seems to resonate and verifies what I think will be a strength going forward - recruiting - and i suspect Woodson is going to do much better on the recruiting trail than any of the coaches during the last 20 years.
Dan has said he loves his life now and is glad he is not coaching. I take him at his word. What he and other former players are upset with is that the anti Knight sentiment of the university caused them to hire guys who didn't win like IU should. In the interview he says to Dane, "Don't mess with winning". I agree with his assessment. IU turned their back on the past because they were afraid of getting a coach who became bigger than the university like Coach Knight did. In fact Dan made the point that Crean was lot go for non basketball reasons. Crean was a pain in the backside as far as the administration goes.

An objective, unbiased listener would probably ask one question: Why have someone on for an interview, and almost refuse to let them speak?

What did anyone learn from that interview? Someone close to him should let him know that was trash.

Pretty deceitful of you to imply that Dan had any hand in RMK’s demise.
I didn’t imply that at all. I’m saying that he’s who Felling decided to call. That’s almost certainly a pertinent fact in understanding the Dakich/Knight relationship. Notice that Felling didn’t call, say, Jim Crews or Steve Downing to vent about Knight.

But, as for Knight’s firing, only one man bears responsibility for that. And it wasn’t Dan Dakich, Ron Felling, Neil Reed, Myles Brand, Murray Sperber, or Kent Harvey.

I didn’t imply that at all. I’m saying that he’s who Felling decided to call. That’s almost certainly a pertinent fact in understanding the Dakich/Knight relationship. Notice that Felling didn’t call, say, Jim Crews or Steve Downing to vent about Knight.

But, as for Knight’s firing, only one man bears responsibility for that. And it wasn’t Dan Dakich, Ron Felling, Neil Reed, Myles Brand, Murray Sperber, or Kent Harvey.
Ah, ok. You’re one of those.

Well, whatever that is, I hope I made myself clear. I said Dakich was involved in Knight’s firing because…well, he was. If they were to make a movie about it, Dakich would be a chatacter. That does not imply that Dakich was at all responsible for it.

Only Knight himself was responsible for it. He wouldn’t agree with that. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. He’s never come to grips with the fact that he did himself in.

Dakich wants to be a Chicago shock jock type but he is too fake
to pull it off.

lol...not this shit again.

Dude, RMK literally did everything he humanly could to get himself fired.

He made it really easy for IU to do just that beginning 1996.

Only a school and fanbase of total sieves was going to tolerate any more of his shit coupled w losing tourney games/players.

It would've been great had he ridden on out into the sunset here at IU. But you and anybody who has studied RMK knows it was only going to end one way w IU.

Well, whatever that is, I hope I made myself clear. I said Dakich was involved in Knight’s firing because…well, he was. If they were to make a movie about it, Dakich would be a chatacter. That does not imply that Dakich was at all responsible for it.

Only Knight himself was responsible for it. He wouldn’t agree with that. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. He’s never come to grips with the fact that he did himself in.

One of those insufferable, moralistic pr!cks purporting to be a “fan” who gets off on lecturing the rest of us about how RMK has “no one to blame but himself” for getting fired while simultaneously ignoring the confederacy of hacks, cowards, and media whores who made it their raison d’etre to destroy him. So go piss on someone else and tell them it’s raining. We’ve had our fill around here. That’s what “that” is, in case you wondered...

One of those insufferable, moralistic pr!cks purporting to be a “fan” who gets off on lecturing the rest of us about how RMK has “no one to blame but himself” for getting fired while simultaneously ignoring the confederacy of hacks, cowards, and media whores who made it their raison d’etre to destroy him. So go piss on someone else and tell them it’s raining. We’ve had our fill around here. That’s what “that” is, in case you wondered...
Not ignoring them. Just putting the ultimate responsibility where it belongs.

It was a classic case of the condemned handing the rope to the hangmen. If Brand etal destroyed Knight, it was only because he gave them so much opportunity to.

If recognizing this obvious and irrefutable truth makes me a prick, so be it.

meh I don't take it that serious... I enjoyed it
Which part(s)?

IMO, Fife was trying to have some light hearted ribbing leading to actual basketball conversation while Dakich got in his feelings and literally would not let him get a word in. It was almost like Dakich was still trying to be his coach. Then he cuts off the interview. Just pathetic on Dan’s part.

Dan wants to be the authority and the bully, but in reality he’s just a failure in his own eyes. Meanwhile he has a sweet gig, money, successful children and a seemingly awesome wife. He needs to let go of the fact he’s never going to be the coach at IU. Just get over it man. Be the bigger man and let go of all the petty BS.

We’re all here for the good version of Dakich. He can’t get out of his own way, and he displays the same weakness that led to Coach Knights demise. The man he says was so wrong and the man he despises.

Clarence Doninger. If Doninger wasn't such a pathetic excuse for an athletic director, Knight would have been there well past 2000.

Reactions: 76-1
Holy crap! Both sides can’t come to grips that each person mentioned had a part in the downfall of IU Basketball. Knight became a caricature of himself. He just became more of his public persona. Lots of fans wanted him gone and that sentiment was becoming stronger by the year. He had become weary of the new administration. It was a bad marriage that was going to end badly in the public eye because neither party left any choices. A lot of the problems actually started before Brand.

Which part(s)?

IMO, Fife was trying to have some light hearted ribbing leading to actual basketball conversation while Dakich got in his feelings and literally would not let him get a word in. It was almost like Dakich was still trying to be his coach. Then he cuts off the interview. Just pathetic on Dan’s part.

Dan wants to be the authority and the bully, but in reality he’s just a failure in his own eyes. Meanwhile he has a sweet gig, money, successful children and a seemingly awesome wife. He needs to let go of the fact he’s never going to be the coach at IU. Just get over it man. Be the bigger man and let go of all the petty BS.

We’re all here for the good version of Dakich. He can’t get out of his own way, and he displays the same weakness that led to Coach Knights demise. The man he says was so wrong and the man he despises.
DDs sin for the vast majority of IU fans that don’t like him is that he’s not a homer. They want a guy who leans heavily toward IU and, when he doesn’t, it really angers them. The resentment toward him is palpable. Strange, but not surprising.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Holy crap! Both sides can’t come to grips that each person mentioned had a part in the downfall of IU Basketball. Knight became a caricature of himself. He just became more of his public persona. Lots of fans wanted him gone and that sentiment was becoming stronger by the year. He had become weary of the new administration. It was a bad marriage that was going to end badly in the public eye because neither party left any choices. A lot of the problems actually started before Brand.
Clarence certainly wasn’t a good AD, and BK became increasingly infuriated that he couldn’t manipulate him (as he had to varying degrees with his predecessors). But Knight was really starting to struggle on the recruiting trail and that, plus our declining performance, began to create an increasingly strained relationship as he isolated himself further within the AD and IU family. “Dysfunctional” would be an understated description, and CD helped add to that, but BK brought himself down, as has already been so clearly and accurately stated.

Clarence certainly wasn’t a good AD, and BK became increasingly infuriated that he couldn’t manipulate him (as he had to varying degrees with his predecessors). But Knight was really starting to struggle on the recruiting trail and that, plus our declining performance, began to create an increasingly strained relationship as he isolated himself further within the AD and IU family. “Dysfunctional” would be an understated description, and CD helped add to that, but BK brought himself down, as has already been so clearly and accurately stated.
All true. And the person most affected by that decline might well have been RMK himself.

Nobody hated losing (or, at least, not winning at a high level) more than he did and I suspect that had a lot to do with everything surrounding that phone call from Felling: the incidents that led to Felling making it and Knight’s reactions to it.

I’ve never defended Doninger or Brand in that fiasco. But anybody who thinks that Knight was unfairly railroaded is being way too generous towards him.

Anyway, it’s all water way, way under the bridge now. Hopefully RMK’s rapprochement with IU and Woodson’s hiring can finally get the program completely past the schism that has been the elephant in the room for the past 20 years.

Manipulate him???

Getting a basketball weight room that wasn't a closet.
Getting pay for the assistant coaches on par with the rest of the Big Ten.
Meanwhile Doninger shelled out huge money (at the time and for Indiana football) for that train wreck of a defensive coordinator James Bell in Cameron's last year.
And prior Doninger was meeting with Alford discussing..... well you already know.

Doninger was a flat out abortion as an athletic director, and in hindsight it's a shame Knight lobbied for him to get the job in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Coach had just recruited Jefferys and had some really good players already on the team , and coach Davis took those recruits to the championship game . So , as it was not as easy for coach Knight to recruit, he still could get the job done . I do agree he was his own worst enemy , as he would never admit he was wrong even when he was . He was a great coach , but he had his flaws .

DDs sin for the vast majority of IU fans that don’t like him is that he’s not a homer. They want a guy who leans heavily toward IU and, when he doesn’t, it really angers them. The resentment toward him is palpable. Strange, but not surprising.
Disagree. Did you listen to the interview?

Dan is a disgruntled human in general. If I were Dane I would tell him to cut the chit, or the interviews will cease.

Manipulate him???

Meanwhile Doninger shelled out huge money (at the time and for Indiana football) for that train wreck of a defensive coordinator James Bell in Cameron's last year.
And prior Doninger was meeting with Alford discussing..... well you already know.

Doninger was a flat out abortion as an athletic director, and it's a shame Knight lobbied for him to get the job in the first place.
One thing everyone is missing. Knight wanted pretty much total control of the sponsors and the athletic department wanted that same control. That played a part in all this.

Reactions: UncleMark
One thing everyone is missing. Knight wanted pretty much total control of the sponsors and the athletic department wanted that same control. That played a part in all this.
That's because basketball at that time was the only sport keeping the athletic department afloat financially.

That's because basketball at that time was the only sport keeping the athletic department afloat financially.
It was also the start of sponsorships getting bigger. Remember assembly hall had very few viewable banners. Knight didn’t want them in there. That changed when Davis took over, we went to Nike and all kinds of other new sponsors. TV contracts were coming. IU and knight were behind the curve.

Manipulate him???

Doninger was a flat out abortion as an athletic director, and it's a shame Knight lobbied for him to get the job in the first place.
BK lobbied for him because he was convinced that CD would essentially be subservient to his wants and needs (so he could manipulate him). That’s not now nor was it ever much of a secret around IU. CD was a basketball I Man, and he also had the backing of a former teammate, who happened to be both a Trustee and close friend of Knight’s. That CD proved to be nothing more than a mediocre caretaker for the department was an indictment of not only him but also those who pushed for him.

As for facilities needs and expenditures, our athletic department finances were a mess. Revenues were some of the lowest in the Big 10 based on our decades long unwillingness to invest in football, and we were essentially maxed out in basketball revenue. There literally wasn’t much money at all to grow anything, beyond the generosity of donors. And BK wanted hoops to not be a funding source for the non-revs, at least to the degree it had traditionally been. He resented that kind of sharing model.

On the matter of coaching salaries, donor funds were the source of funding for the increased compensation paid to BK’s assistants during his last several years. It wasn’t Knight and it wasn’t from internally generated revenues. Finally, paying Bell or any other football assistant was an effort to support a sport that was badly lagging yet was needed to help fund the athletic department.

Again, it was dysfunctional. But BK greatly added to that dysfunction, much more so than he was ever a victim of it.

Reactions: F.Fletch
Disagree. Did you listen to the interview?

Dan is a disgruntled human in general. If I were Dane I would tell him to cut the chit, or the interviews will cease.
Yeah, it was pretty obvious he and Fife were having a chat among friends and giving each other grief. They’re pretty close friends, which was apparent in the way they spoke with each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT