ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich Out at ESPN . . .

Eban

Junior
Sep 6, 2001
“I had everyone of my bosses at ESPN tell me ‘you are the best guy we have at ESPN, period.’ And I am like ‘Okay, then why am I not doing North Carolina/Duke’ or ‘Why am I getting bumped by Vitale and Bilas to do the Indiana/Purdue game? It’s a big game.’ It’s not a meritocracy and I like meritocracy.”

As the article verifies, DD earned high radio ratings, so it’s clear he had options based on that success. Casual fans didn’t care for him but basketball junkies loved his tv work.

“I had everyone of my bosses at ESPN tell me ‘you are the best guy we have at ESPN, period.’ And I am like ‘Okay, then why am I not doing North Carolina/Duke’ or ‘Why am I getting bumped by Vitale and Bilas to do the Indiana/Purdue game? It’s a big game.’ It’s not a meritocracy and I like meritocracy.”

Yes, Dan. You were simply TOO GOOD for ESPN. They were intimidated by your greatness.

Sounds like meritocratic principles lost him his gigs to me. As in there was no merit to keeping him around. Just sayin'.

Too bad. While I thought he came across just a little arrogant, he was always fair and balance, and he added good analysis to his commentary, unlike that whacko Vital. Not a big fan of the east coast centric ESPN, so this just gives me another reason to skip past their broadcast games.

Too bad. I genuinely liked his insight and perspective calling games.

This is no surprise as relationships were reportedly burned up, and with his missteps over the winter. I thought he did a decent job calling games. He appealed to the more casual fan who did not require/want more in-depth technical content.

The new talk show makes sense with a platform where the shock jock act is better suited.

Reactions: billyhillui

Bill Walton says hello.

Great. Another media outlet to discuss political views and gambling. We don’t have enough of those DWS

Reactions: YOTHN
He the only announcer I ever heard call BS on the UNC situation. I respect him for ignoring the ESPN party line
Yep. He was way too technical for most casual fans, and IU fans who didn’t like him were turned off because he wasn’t a homer. But he was always successful on the radio, dominating his time slot and making big money for Emmis (which is why they want him to stay). There were people here who claimed they didn’t know he was on the radio and then would cite chapter and verse from his show. It was always funny how much he tortured them. The Outkick stuff is sports radio for Trumpers, so the following is big and fervent, if twisted.

• Haha
Reactions: billyhillui
not vanilla and can get irritating with his bluster, but he also would sometimes pull out and explain nuances and tidbits that few commentators do or could. I'd put up with the bluster to hear those bits. Overall a loss in my book.

Yep. He was way too technical for most casual fans, and IU fans who didn’t like him were turned off because he wasn’t a homer. But he was always successful on the radio, dominating his time slot and making big money for Emmis (which is why they want him to stay). There were people here who claimed they didn’t know he was on the radio and then would cite chapter and verse from his show. It was always funny how much he tortured them. The Outkick stuff is sports radio for Trumpers, so the following is big and fervent, if twisted.
Poster doth protest too much, methinks.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Poster doth protest too much, methinks.
DING!

Methinks you don’t have the slightest of ideas as to what WS meant in his passage, nor would you have any idea how to make an apt analogy, if you did. Stay in your lane, Courty. That’s not IU, or radio, or literature.

Of all the jobs Dan was involved with recently, I thought he was a really good color commentator. He’s forgotten more about basketball and the B1G than most of the clowns they would put in his place.

Plus, I thought it was one space in which he dialed back the nonsense and just did the job. His show on 1070 is another story, but business is good and he’s a business guy now more than anything.

ESPN sucks generally speaking.

Of all the jobs Dan was involved with recently, I thought he was a really good color commentator. He’s forgotten more about basketball and the B1G than most of the clowns they would put in his place.

Plus, I thought it was one space in which he dialed back the nonsense and just did the job. His show on 1070 is another story, but business is good and he’s a business guy now more than anything.

ESPN sucks generally speaking.
I realize he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but Bilas is at the tippy top of the analyst food chain. Not sure how anyone would merit a spot above him, and certainly don’t see him being supplanted on a Carolina - Duke game. DD is a very good analyst in his own right, but JB is top drawer.

I think Dakich does a nice job broadcasting games. He'll probably wind up on fox at some point. I don't get ESPN but I'm glad they show lots of games in all sports. They struggle to keep their employees happy it seems. How in the world might you let go of Maria Taylor and keep Steven A.

In my personal experience most of the people who understand what's going on and can think for themselves love Dakich. The problem most people have with Dakich is that only a few understand him. You have to understand basketball, coaching, competing, etc.. at a very high level to understand Dakich. If you don't understand those things then you won't like Dakich and he comes across as arrogant to you.

Last edited:
DING!

Methinks you don’t have the slightest of ideas as to what WS meant in his passage, nor would you have any idea how to make an apt analogy, if you did. Stay in your lane, Courty. That’s not IU, or radio, or literature.
lol nerve touched.

Great job looking it up so at least you learned it was WS this time. The last time you told me I butchered the phrase because you had no idea what the reference or source was.

I understand they don't teach such soft subjects in WL (assume you actually attended there).

Look it up on RossAdefieldsucks @yahoo.com...or is it AOL,,,er,,,gmail...er skynet...,yeah that is the ticket.

Last edited:
lol nerve touched.

Great job looking it up so at least you learned it was WS this time. The last time you told me I butchered the phrase because you had no idea what the reference or source was.

I understand they don't teach such soft subjects in WL (assume you actually attended there).

Look it up on RossAdefieldsucks @yahoo.com...or is it AOL,,,er,,,gmail...er skynet...,yeah that is the ticket.

oh great... here we go again

lol nerve touched.

I was simply pointing out your obvious misunderstanding of the quote which, given your clear lack of exposure to it, is completely understandable. It’s no different than when you try to talk IU, IU sports, radio dayparts, or most any other subject at which you’ve tried your hand. Usually, you attempt to bs your way through those subjects, and I’ve embarrassingly (for you) called you on it. Your effort to insert something from Shakespeare was yet another failed attempt to be relevant, with predictable results.

Now, about that phony tailgate at a game you never attended . . . I’m still awaiting my breakfast burrito. If you’ll let me know what restaurant employs you, I’d be happy to patronize the establishment for some takeaway orders for the next game. Might make you look good to the manager!

Ziontucky@gmail.com

Reactions: LowCut
I was simply pointing out your obvious misunderstanding of the quote which, given your clear lack of exposure to it, is completely understandable. It’s no different than when you try to talk IU, IU sports, radio dayparts, or most any other subject at which you’ve tried your hand. Usually, you attempt to bs your way through those subjects, and I’ve embarrassingly (for you) called you on it. Your effort to insert something from Shakespeare was yet another failed attempt to be relevant, with predictable results.

Now, about that phony tailgate at a game you never attended . . . I’m still awaiting my breakfast burrito. If you’ll let me know what restaurant employs you, I’d be happy to patronize the establishment for some takeaway orders for the next game. Might make you look good to the manager!

Ziontucky@gmail.com
Great to see you Ordy, what has it been 2 minutes?
Put me on ignore as you have promised.

Please.

Great to see you Ordy, what has it been 2 minutes?
Put me on ignore as you have promised.

Please.

Unlike you, I’ve never made that commitment. Do you ever tell the truth about anything? You’re in this situation for that very reason.

Now, about that fake tailgate . . .

Ziontucky@gmail.com

Looking forward to your promised parking spot location.

Pretty Please

You've become as bad as he is and are nearly as responsible for the crap posted here as he is since you 'feed' him more than everyone else combined. You pledged more than once to let it go and yet every time you return in some futile quest for validation - that's his MO exactly and essentially makes you every bit the troll that he is.

The stupid back and forth gives him just what he wants and ruins it for most everyone else. Next time I have to read one of your innumerable replies to someone I have on ignore am adding you to the list. Enough stupidity without you cultivating it and pretending it's anything other than compete shyte.

Reactions: .Gerdis
You've become as bad as he is and are nearly as responsible for the crap posted here as he is since you 'feed' him more than everyone else combined. You pledged more than once to let it go and yet every time you return in some futile quest for validation - that's his MO exactly and essentially makes you every bit the troll that he is.

The stupid back and forth gives him just what he wants and ruins it for most everyone else. Next time I have to read one of your innumerable replies to someone I have on ignore am adding you to the list. Enough stupidity without you cultivating it and pretending it's anything other than compete shyte.
I understand your point, I really do, but there is no comparison here. I would like for this place to get back to where it was before it. was destroyed. An IU fan would not last ten minutes acting this way on GBI and good for them trying to keep the place from becoming the cesspool this one is.

I am an IU alum, season ticket holder in both FB and BB and formerly Baseball. I take a lot of pride in my university and don't appreciate posters that trash IU, IU fans, IU coaches, and IU student athletes on their home boards and then come here and make a mess, or worse yet deny it.

Talk about IU hoops...the good and the bad.

The FB board is far better because the mods do their job there. You notice ordy is not trashing the FB board and I am not calling attention to it there...I don't need to.

I have been very consistent with how people are managed: act with respect and you get treated with respect. Act the fool and you will be treated as the fool. Hell, about five of his screen names ago I offered this guy an olive branch and he couldn't handle it mentally.

Silence enables the troll.

Last edited:
Is this wishful thinking or just plain inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality? This is a free board and that's not how it works. Your trash isn't special - it's still just garbage and does nothing but exacerbate the problem. You want to pretend your drivelly incessant pissing match is a net contribution or some sort of public service? Good luck finding anyone that agrees with you.

Since doubling down on stupid is generally terminal, I'd say we're done here.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Is this wishful thinking or just plain inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality? This is a free board and that's not how it works. Your trash isn't special - it's still just garbage and does nothing but exacerbate the problem. You want to pretend your drivelly incessant pissing match is a net contribution or some sort of public service? Good luck finding anyone that agrees with you.

Since doubling down on stupid is generally terminal, I'd say we're done here.
Perhaps wishful thinking, but mods have managed him out of other boards, it ain't rocket science.

If what we have is what you want: you should be pleased.

I understand your point, I really do, but there is no comparison here. I would like for this place to get back to where it was before it. was destroyed. An IU fan would not last ten minutes acting this way on GBI and good for them trying to keep the place from becoming the cesspool this one is.

I am an IU alum, season ticket holder in both FB and BB and formerly Baseball. I take a lot of pride in my university and don't appreciate posters that trash IU, IU fans, IU coaches, and IU student athletes on their home boards and then come here and make a mess, or worse yet deny it.

Talk about IU hoops...the good and the bad.

The FB board is far better because the mods do their job there. You notice ordy is not trashing the FB board and I am not calling attention to it there...I don't need to.

I have been very consistent with how people are managed: act with respect and you get treated with respect. Act the fool and you will be treated as the fool. Hell, about five of his screen names ago I offered this guy an olive branch and he couldn't handle it mentally.

This began because you told several blatant lies here, all in an effort to appear as an insider, I pointed them out, and you became enraged. That’s when you began to stalk and literally invent ghost sittings of me, rather than just engage in truthful and accurate posting. It’s really no more complex than that, as much as you’ve attempted to throw up a smokescreen to the contrary.

As for the football board, there is little quality posting there, even fewer posters, and the internet provides several options where the level of IU football knowledge is far greater. Sadly, that’s becoming the case here, as well.

This latest standoff occurred because you insincerely extended an invitation you had no intention of honoring, and we both knew it. I thoroughly enjoyed watching you enthusiastically dig yourself into a bottomless hole as a result, even as I gave you plenty of escape routes. As an IU alum and long time fan, it’s apparent you have little actual knowledge of the programs I‘ve followed for decades. Your reference to “Jimmy” Laskowski was one of many examples of that.

Some time ago, you promised to put me on ignore, yet you chose not to because it would end your ability to chase me around. Please reconsider or you’ll continue to take this board lower and lower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT