ADVERTISEMENT

damned computers anyway

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
So a couple weeks ago the business manager at work started having computer oddities. Just some strange stuff, that he was able to work around, but indications that his load of W7 and/or his hard drive was getting funky. I built his machine maybe six years ago or so, and he rides it hard doing all kinds of stuff that it takes to keep the business running, so we got permission to have me do a big upgrade to his hardware -- mobo, cpu, memory, and an SSD -- while using the same case and PSU and optical drive. Ordered in fairly high end stuff. Planned on me doing to over this week while we're shut down.

Physical build fell together easily. But the bastard won't boot the W7 install disk for nothing. Blue screens with "The bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant". Spent hours in the EFI trying all the different settings, modes, you name it. Googled until my head hurt. No joy. Totally ruined my day. As best I could tell, either the EFI needed an update (which made no sense, I'm looking to install an older OS, not the latest and greatest), or that the hardware just flat wasn't compatible with W7, and required W10.

Sure enough, buried way down at the bottom of the spec page on the manufacturer's site:

OS - Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#Specification

Of course, MX Linux boots straight up without any issues whatsoever.

Reactions: RBB89
So a couple weeks ago the business manager at work started having computer oddities. Just some strange stuff, that he was able to work around, but indications that his load of W7 and/or his hard drive was getting funky. I built his machine maybe six years ago or so, and he rides it hard doing all kinds of stuff that it takes to keep the business running, so we got permission to have me do a big upgrade to his hardware -- mobo, cpu, memory, and an SSD -- while using the same case and PSU and optical drive. Ordered in fairly high end stuff. Planned on me doing to over this week while we're shut down.

Physical build fell together easily. But the bastard won't boot the W7 install disk for nothing. Blue screens with "The bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant". Spent hours in the EFI trying all the different settings, modes, you name it. Googled until my head hurt. No joy. Totally ruined my day. As best I could tell, either the EFI needed an update (which made no sense, I'm looking to install an older OS, not the latest and greatest), or that the hardware just flat wasn't compatible with W7, and required W10.

Sure enough, buried way down at the bottom of the spec page on the manufacturer's site:

e04.jpg

Or, you could just scrap the 9 year old OS and join us in the present.

Or, you could just scrap the 9 year old OS and join us in the present.
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. The user's preference was to stick with W7, and I'm more comfortable with it myself. But the Borg has spoken, and I'll be grabbing a W10 license tomorrow.

Reactions: All4You

Windows 7 will be unsupported in a year, and as it is it's dicey right now security wise. While I am not the biggest fan of 10, I imagine it's time if you are sticking with a windows OS.

Similar thing occurred for me and I replaced my gaming PC a few years ago (it was 6 years old then, with a Vistas OS) when all the web browsers (IE, Chrome and Firefox) were no longer offering security updates. I was gonna use strip a few of the goodies from the old one that I had upgraded a few years before, but I decided to just build a new one from scratch. Instead ofshitcanning the old one or stripping the goodies off of it, I reformatted the hard drive and downloaded a shit ton of music, console game emulators, pics, movies and other assorted media and have it hooked up to 50 inch in my man cave. It's basically an offline retro console gaming/multimedia rig.

Reactions: Digressions
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. The user's preference was to stick with W7, and I'm more comfortable with it myself. But the Borg has spoken, and I'll be grabbing a W10 license tomorrow.
I've been using W10 for nearly six months now, and I'm very happy with it. If you want to get into the guts of your system, it's a little more difficult to move around, since it's very much streamlined for idiots, but performance-wise, I have no complaints at all.

Windows 7 will be unsupported in a year, and as it is it's dicey right now security wise. While I am not the biggest fan of 10, I imagine it's time if you are sticking with a windows OS.
I've been using W10 for nearly six months now, and I'm very happy with it. If you want to get into the guts of your system, it's a little more difficult to move around, since it's very much streamlined for idiots, but performance-wise, I have no complaints at all.

I used to make good money on the side dealing with infested computers, and spent a good amount of time at work locking workstations down and cleaning up after the occasional "Mark, help! I clicked on something and it's acting crazy now!" Since Windows 7 that's all gone away at the workplace, and my side business has shriveled up to nothing. Windows is more robust, the email hosts are doing a much better job of filtering, and the use of hosts files and good AV and better user awareness at my workplace has made "security" much less of an issue than it used to be.

Performance isn't a concern either. The modern hardware nowadays is so fast that any difference between Windows OSs is going to be negligible. Heck W10 might be better than W7 for all I know.

I was just venting. It pisses me off to no end that we've gotten to the point where mainstream hardware requires the latest and greatest MSFT OS to even freaking boot the installer. Sure, I didn't do my due diligence when I spec'd the hardware, but this is something I'd never seen or even heard about, and I've done scores of build over the years.

And I'll again note that Linux has no issues with it whatsoever.

Reactions: All4You
I used to make good money on the side dealing with infested computers, and spent a good amount of time at work locking workstations down and cleaning up after the occasional "Mark, help! I clicked on something and it's acting crazy now!" Since Windows 7 that's all gone away at the workplace, and my side business has shriveled up to nothing. Windows is more robust, the email hosts are doing a much better job of filtering, and the use of hosts files and good AV and better user awareness at my workplace has made "security" much less of an issue than it used to be.

Performance isn't a concern either. The modern hardware nowadays is so fast that any difference between Windows OSs is going to be negligible. Heck W10 might be better than W7 for all I know.

I was just venting. It pisses me off to no end that we've gotten to the point where mainstream hardware requires the latest and greatest MSFT OS to even freaking boot the installer. Sure, I didn't do my due diligence when I spec'd the hardware, but this is something I'd never seen or even heard about, and I've done scores of build over the years.

And I'll again note that Linux has no issues with it whatsoever.
Yeah, I got you, brother. I just wanted to rub a little Christmas salt in the wound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT