ADVERTISEMENT

Damezi Anderson

southernIN058

Recruit
Nov 17, 2019
Is there any particular reason why he didn’t play yesterday? It appears to me he’s probably going to transfer after the season unless something changes.

Reactions: Lucy01
Is there any particular reason why he didn’t play yesterday? It appears to me he’s probably going to transfer after the season unless something changes.
I always let the players and the coaches determine who will transfer. They know better than any of us if they should. I don't worry about things I have no influence over.

That wouldn’t be surprising given the quality of his play and his declining minutes.

Honestly he doesnt really bring much unless he is hitting shots and he hasnt even been close on a lot of his misses this year. Possible transfer candidate but we will see what happens.

He just can't hit any shots - wish he could. He doesn't bring anything else to the game to if he can't shoot he's no help.

Reactions: channi
Hunter is only going to keep getting better and we have Galloway, Geronimo, and Leal coming in. I don’t know how DA fits into Archie’s future plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike41703
He just isn’t a consistent shooter. That’s what he is supposed to be, but if he can’t he won’t get PT. I wish he was lights out, but he just isn’t. His D and other areas of the game aren’t strong, so no minutes

Well, I wouldn't think he could bitch much. Seems to me that Archie gave him a chance to earn minutes but he didn't produce.

He just isn’t a consistent shooter. That’s what he is supposed to be, but if he can’t he won’t get PT. I wish he was lights out, but he just isn’t. His D and other areas of the game aren’t strong, so no minutes

Bingo. Covered this the other day. He isn't getting PT and that gets worse next season with incoming players. He will not be the only player to transfer IMO.

I completely disagree. He has been consistent. Last year he hit 23% on 3s. This year he's hitting 24%. How much more consistent can you get?

What's especially bad about that is he never shoots unless he's wide open.

As far as the transferring goes.............He's never going to be a contributor unless he can shoot 36-40% on 3s because he can't drive the basketball. The only question I have about him is.....is he hitting 36-40% in practice/scrimmage situations, and just not able to duplicate it in games? If so, there might be some hope for him, but I can't imagine that that's the case.

It was only one game that Damezi didn't play. I will be interested if it continues. Damezi's cold streak may include practice and made the decision on who to put in first easier. Hunter hitting 2/3 against Nebraska earned him more opportunities at the expense of Damezi.

Damezi could help us later in his career. I expected progress this year, but not for him to play a major role. His defense is better and he has improved his game inside the 3 point line. He needs to start doing the one thing he was already supposed to be good at.

It was only one game that Damezi didn't play. I will be interested if it continues. Damezi's cold streak may include practice and made the decision on who to put in first easier. Hunter hitting 2/3 against Nebraska earned him more opportunities at the expense of Damezi.

Damezi could help us later in his career. I expected progress this year, but not for him to play a major role. His defense is better and he has improved his game inside the 3 point line. He needs to start doing the one thing he was already supposed to be good at.

I've never been a fan and never liked his game, although he seems like a great guy.

That said, in BT play he's playing less than horrible D, is not turning the ball over, and is averaging 9.1 rebs per every 40M (Hunter is at 5.4). So........he'd be playing a lot if he was hitting 35% on 3s in the BT, not 8% (and 20% on 2s). So the question is.........will the guy EVER be a 3 pt shooter, or not? Will he stick around? Will Miller want him to stick around? Personally, God help me, I'd like to see him one more year.............

I have been promoting Anderson throughout the offseason and early into this season. I still believe he can be a player given his size and ability to run, but he’s not ready psychologically. The positive is that he is only a Sophomore, and I believe he is worth the eleventh scholarship as a project.

Reactions: IULouie
I have been promoting Anderson throughout the offseason and early into this season. I still believe he can be a player given his size and ability to run, but he’s not ready psychologically. The positive is that he is only a Sophomore, and I believe he is worth the eleventh scholarship as a project.
Hes better than the 12th and 13th scholarship players thats for sure!

I agree........he seems like a great teammate. Everybody likes him.. I'd like for him to prove me and the other doubters wrong. I just wouldn't play him much right now. Put him in, tell him to only taken open 3s, yank him as soon as he misses 2. Maybe someday he'll hit 2 in a row and gain some confidence.

I've never been a fan and never liked his game, although he seems like a great guy.

That said, in BT play he's playing less than horrible D, is not turning the ball over, and is averaging 9.1 rebs per every 40M (Hunter is at 5.4). So........he'd be playing a lot if he was hitting 35% on 3s in the BT, not 8% (and 20% on 2s). So the question is.........will the guy EVER be a 3 pt shooter, or not? Will he stick around? Will Miller want him to stick around? Personally, God help me, I'd like to see him one more year.............
Ive never been a fan either. He was recruited as a shooter and he cant shot. Sometimes things dont pan out.

Ive never been a fan either. He was recruited as a shooter and he cant shot. Sometimes things dont pan out.
He may have been recruited as a shooter, but I would be okay if he became a good defender, rebounder, or passer. He could help against big guards or wings.

He should stay if he wants to. I don't mind him staying on next year.

Reactions: Sassy61
He may have been recruited as a shooter, but I would be okay if he became a good defender, rebounder, or passer. He could help against big guards or wings.

He should stay if he wants to. I don't mind him staying on next year.

Damezi puts me in mind of Roderick Wilmont. I could see, if he stays, Damezi’s development taking a similar arc. Wilmont went from a low 20ish % three point shooter to a 40% three point shooter and averaged right at 13pts and 6rebs as a senior guard. Wilmont also averaged about 1 steal per game. Damezi looks to have the raw skills and athleticism to become that type of player.

Damezi puts me in mind of Roderick Wilmont. I could see, if he stays, Damezi’s development taking a similar arc. Wilmont went from a low 20ish % three point shooter to a 40% three point shooter and averaged right at 13pts and 6rebs as a senior guard. Wilmont also averaged about 1 steal per game. Damezi looks to have the raw skills and athleticism to become that type of player.
I had forgotten about Wilmont, but it is an interesting comparison. I remember Rod being a better shooter and much better defender at the same point in their careers. If you aren't a good shooter, you need to be a defender.

An AAU coach told my daughter in middle school to focus on correcting her shot that summer and not worry about her shooting percentage while she was changing to shoot the right way. Working with that coach and a shooting coach, she developed a nearly perfect shot by the 8th grade. It was frustrating for her at times and she got tired of people telling her what she had done wrong. It eventually felt natural.

I would tell Damezi to do the same between now and November, but he is going to need a strict coach and a lot of time shooting the right way.

I like that mindset. I hope Damezi sticks around. It's easy to quit. It's harder to improve and succeed. Plus I still want that link to recruiting up there in the S Bend area. I want Furst so we get our footing into the Fort.

Reactions: Sassy61 and ufo33
In my mind Wilmont was a far superior athlete then Anderson

Could be. I can tell you I definitely don’t remember Wilmont being particularly good at anything until his junior season and more so his senior season. His senior season was also played under Sampson so that likely helped. Love him or hate him, Sampson is a damn good coach and can make players better.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Could be. I can tell you I definitely don’t remember Wilmont being particularly good at anything until his junior season and more so his senior season. His senior season was also played under Sampson so that likely helped. Love him or hate him, Sampson is a damn good coach and can make players better.
Wilmont also redshirted...a luxury that Anderson won't get. Anyway, I hope continues to improve.

Wilmont was more like Olidipo, great leapers and late bloomers.
Damezi hardly gets off the ground on his shot. Lazy shooter whose misses are bad, i.e. either off target with occasional backboard first hits.
He's in over his head.

Last edited:
Wilmont was more like Olidipo, great leapers and late bloomers.
Damezi hardly gets off the ground on his shot. Lazy shooter whose misses are bad, i.e. either off target with occasional backboard first hits.
He's in over his head, but has a strong hair game.
dumb

He reminds more of Jeremy Hollowell, a smooth player who found his niche at Georgia State.

Is anyone working with DA on his shot?
Has he changed anything that could improve his shooting?
If not, I agree he transfers.

True, but DA is 6'7" v. 6'4" for RW.

He's a rebounder this year, and he's not turning the ball over. If he could shoot he'd play a lot. Not much room for an 8% (BT play) shooting small forward.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Is anyone working with DA on his shot?
Has he changed anything that could improve his shooting?
If not, I agree he transfers.

I would ask the same question concerning Al Durham. The ball was sliding off his hand on one of the late 3 point misses and both of his FTs. You could tell the shots were off as soon as they left his hand. The same thing was happening 2 years ago, but much more frequently.....so maybe someone is working with him and he's just reverted.

I like that mindset. I hope Damezi sticks around. It's easy to quit. It's harder to improve and succeed. Plus I still want that link to recruiting up there in the S Bend area. I want Furst so we get our footing into the Fort.
I dont care if he stays but i dont ever see him getting major minutes unless that shot improves drastically.

Players usually dont have alot of time to work on changing their form during the season, major overhauls usually get done after the season. Outside of minor adjustments, he will use same technique rest of yr.

He was sick before Rutgers so maybe he was still sick for Nebraska. Doesn't seem like anyone here considered that possibility.
It doesn't fit their narrative but that is most likely the best explanation.

It doesn't fit their narrative but that is most likely the best explanation.

Who's narrative?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT