ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich in trouble again

I’m glad DD went national with this (I live in a far away state). This is clearly a case of a spoiled kid and a selfish father destroying a successful coach and family because his kid, who has issues according to many in the community, couldn’t handle playing the right way. Should DD lambaste the community, maybe not. But, if you are the community that you describe in the many Twitter & FB defenses of yourselves, then why wouldn’t you come to the defense of this poor coach who was ridden out of town by a corrupt leader. A “loving” community looks out for those who are being mistreated, If you are not doing that (which you clearly didn’t here) then you are exactly what DD describes.

The way this was handled was incredibly cowardly and shows the lack of spine your board has. Sometimes a person has to take a freak'n stand. You, clearly, would rather pass.

I will continue to retweet and share this story as it is such a great example of small town stupidity. It's embarrassing that there are still places this backward.
You the coach that got fired?

Reactions: baileyiu
Read again. I am saying we need to laugh
I did not advocate the crass nature of his humor.
No, you said if it was crass, but made people laugh, then maybe it was a good thing. Basically, you are saying that if a joke, regardless of its crassness, is a good thing if it makes some people laugh. I did not see any concern about the butt of these jokes, which is where I would expect a pastor, at least, to focus.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. You have repeatedly shown an unwillingness for introspection, so it would do no good. This is just par for the course for you, VSM.

What’s your standard for better? It’s clearly not crime, property taxes, etc.

I just got jankos carry out they are doing deals and one is the taste of Bloomington rib eye sandwich for 12 bucks with a baked potato and salad. I got two and will love myself tomorrow for it. Can’t beat that shit.

Reactions: .Gerdis and ams66
No, you said if it was crass, but made people laugh, then maybe it was a good thing. Basically, you are saying that if a joke, regardless of its crassness, is a good thing if it makes some people laugh. I did not see any concern about the butt of these jokes, which is where I would expect a pastor, at least, to focus.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. You have repeatedly shown an unwillingness for introspection, so it would do no good. This is just par for the course for you, VSM.
I said it is good to laugh some at this time. I think what you are wanting to do is to read negative things into my posts. I am not a fan of smut humor. I didn't say I was a fan of Dan's humor. It's just that we do as people need to laugh some. That is all I meant. If you can't take me at my word then that is on you. It means you have some kind of agenda.

I said it is good to laugh some at this time. I think what you are wanting to do is to read negative things into my posts. I am not a fan of smut humor. I didn't say I was a fan of Dan's humor. It's just that we do as people need to laugh some. That is all I meant. If you can't take me at my word then that is on you. It means you have some kind of agenda.

I did take you at your word, and showed them to you.

You responded with the typical lack of self-awareness and unwillingness to engage in introspection that you are well known for around here.

Stick to reviews of crappy pizza places in Martinsville. They (and there) are more your speed.

Reactions: Radio Zero
there have been 2 disappearances in what the last 20 years? One solved one not? I’m guessing Lauren ODed (that hard drug use comes from the east coast students with money) her “friends” ditched the body in a dumpster, hired lawyers and went back to NYC.

Jill was biking in the county outside of Bloomington. There are some backwards ass people in the county, like I said this is the border of southern IN. That was solved and the dude that killed her is prob an inbred and still in jail rotting away.
4 disappeances...

The third and 4th were snatched by a cab driver. One died, one got away.

I did take you at your word, and showed them to you.

You responded with the typical lack of self-awareness and unwillingness to engage in introspection that you are well known for around here.

Stick to reviews of crappy pizza places in Martinsville. They (and there) are more your speed.
You sir can say whatever you want about me. But do not and I mean do not ever put down Gattis Pizza.

I just got jankos carry out they are doing deals and one is the taste of Bloomington rib eye sandwich for 12 bucks with a baked potato and salad. I got two and will love myself tomorrow for it. Can’t beat that shit.
That second meal you picked up might go nicely with a fattyyyy for breakfast.

Put on “Meddle” by Floyd and you’ll be golden.

EDIT. Added gratuitous stoner Pink Floyd reference, including calling them “Floyd.”

Jealous. That sounds fantastic.

I've had both of those. They are good. Gattis was the pizza my wife and I ate when we were dating. Our kids loved it too when we would go to the buffet in Washington Indiana while visiting their grandparents.
I thought Mr Ghatti's went out with Just Rite and Burger Chef?

Reactions: Radio Zero
Back to the topic of this thread. Devil's advocate: Schools must follow due process and privacy policies very, very closely. It is possible information may eventually reveal there is more to the story. In which case, there will be a lot of crow to eat.

Reactions: uncleter
I’m glad DD went national with this (I live in a far away state). This is clearly a case of a spoiled kid and a selfish father destroying a successful coach and family because his kid, who has issues according to many in the community, couldn’t handle playing the right way. Should DD lambaste the community, maybe not. But, if you are the community that you describe in the many Twitter & FB defenses of yourselves, then why wouldn’t you come to the defense of this poor coach who was ridden out of town by a corrupt leader. A “loving” community looks out for those who are being mistreated, If you are not doing that (which you clearly didn’t here) then you are exactly what DD describes.

The way this was handled was incredibly cowardly and shows the lack of spine your board has. Sometimes a person has to take a freak'n stand. You, clearly, would rather pass.

I will continue to retweet and share this story as it is such a great example of small town stupidity. It's embarrassing that there are still places this backward.
If you live so far away how can you know so much about this one incident in Scottsburg, Indiana? Unless, of course, you believe what comes out of Dakich's lame mouth. Not even us who live here are privy to the reason(s) that our high school basketball coach's contract was not renewed. Just speculation and rumor. You cannot defend a decision without knowing the facts. Maybe you know more than we do, but from your post, it appears you know nothing about anything.

Again, just clickbait. The point is that he will say anything to stir up people and get more attention.

Ever hear of media sensationalism? Yeah? I knew you did.

Ignore DD and these articles. It is just marketing.

As a former sports editor of a daily newspaper with a degree in journalism from IU, it really irritates me when he refers to sports reporters as "those little media guys."

I covered sports for the IDS all four years I was at IU. Neither players nor coaches would cross me face-to-face because I had a muscular build and they could sense I wasn't afraid of them.

When I began covering sports for Greenfield's daily newspaper in 1976, Eastern Hancock's coach told a high school student he was going to beat me up the next time he saw me. Ironically, I arrived to cover his team's game that afternoon and was wearing a golf shirt because it wasn't cold for the first time that spring.

The coach saw me a few minutes later and was the nicest he had been since I had begun covering his team a few weeks earlier. He looked at me and asked whether I had been lifting weights. My response was that I always lifted weights.

After covering the game, I returned home that night and received a phone call from the student. Once he informed me the coach had threatened to beat me up, I realized why he had been so nice to me when he saw me. He had never seen me without a jacket and my build caught him totally off guard.

That fall, I was covering an IU football game and attended the press conference afterward. Several of us reporters were trying to interview the IU quarterback regarding his poor performance in the Hoosiers' loss and he kept refusing to answer our questions. I finally informed him that we had given him positive coverage when he had good games earlier in the season and he was obligated to answer our questions. He then became very cooperative and began answering all of our questions.

After the press conference, one of my reporter friends said he was shocked I would become so confrontational with a football player. My response was that I wasn't scare of him.

What is my point? Even though I'm almost 67 years old, I don't believe Dakich would refer to me as a "little media guy" if he met me. In other words, he shouldn't stereotype.

Reactions: brianiu
As a former sports editor of a daily newspaper with a degree in journalism from IU, it really irritates me when he refers to sports reporters as "those little media guys."

I covered sports for the IDS all four years I was at IU. Neither players nor coaches would cross me face-to-face because I had a muscular build and they could sense I wasn't afraid of them.

When I began covering sports for Greenfield's daily newspaper in 1976, Eastern Hancock's coach told a high school student he was going to beat me up the next time he saw me. Ironically, I arrived to cover his team's game that afternoon and was wearing a golf shirt because it wasn't cold for the first time that spring.

The coach saw me a few minutes later and was the nicest he had been since I had begun covering his team a few weeks earlier. He looked at me and asked whether I had been lifting weights. My response was that I always lifted weights.

After covering the game, I returned home that night and received a phone call from the student. Once he informed me the coach had threatened to beat me up, I realized why he had been so nice to me when he saw me. He had never seen me without a jacket and my build caught him totally off guard.

That fall, I was covering an IU football game and attended the press conference afterward. Several of us reporters were trying to interview the IU quarterback regarding his poor performance in the Hoosiers' loss and he kept refusing to answer our questions. I finally informed him that we had given him positive coverage when he had good games earlier in the season and he was obligated to answer our questions. He then became very cooperative and began answering all of our questions.

After the press conference, one of my reporter friends said he was shocked I would become so confrontational with a football player. My response was that I wasn't scare of him.

What is my point? Even though I'm almost 67 years old, I don't believe Dakich would refer to me as a "little media guy" if he met me. In other words, he shouldn't stereotype.
Yeah, I bet he'd crap his pants if he encountered you.

Reactions: Birnk403

Obligated to answer your questions? If I ever needed more proof that you media people are delusional this is it. You can write whatever the hell you want but no one is OBLIGATED to give two ***** about you and your questions. Doesn’t matter if it’s a high school coach out in BFE or the governor of Indiana.

45751771.jpg

7 days of quarantine - and there it is!
Keep’em coming McNutt!

Reactions: UncleMark

giphy.gif

Obligated to answer your questions? If I ever needed more proof that you media people are delusional this is it. You can write whatever the hell you want but no one is OBLIGATED to give two ***** about you and your questions. Doesn’t matter if it’s a high school coach out in BFE or the governor of Indiana.

Apparently, you know nothing about journalism. A coach or player doesn't HAVE to answer a question, but it is the ethical thing to do when the media has given their team good coverage.

Apparently, you know nothing about journalism. A coach or player doesn't HAVE to answer a question, but it is the ethical thing to do when the media has given their team good coverage.

You said “obligated” to answer, not should answer. I think you really believe it too like most of the other sanctimonious hacks in your (former?) profession.

Reactions: bang63
45751771.jpg

7 days of quarantine - and there it is!
Keep’em coming McNutt!

I have all kinds of anecdotes regarding my days as a sportswriter. My senior year, I wrote a column in the IDS regarding an IU student who was a catcher in the Cape Cod League. When I asked him why he wasn't playing baseball for the Hoosiers, he said he had been advised by his Cape Cod League coach not to waste his time playing for IU. Obviously, I included that quote in my column.

A few days later, my girlfriend (now my wife of almost 44 years) and I were having dinner at a fast food restaurant in Bloomington. She was getting ready to return to Columbus for spring break and I was going to Florida with some of my buddies.

One of my best friends spotted us and walked over to chat with us. Another guy was with him and he introduced him to us. For some reason, the guy kept addressing me as "Sir" and telling me what a great job I did covering sports for the IDS. In other words, it was a weird event.

When I returned to Columbus about a week later, I ran into a bunch of my friends. They knew all about what happened at the fast food restaurant because they had seen our mutual friend during spring break. However, they knew even more about it than me.

The guy with my buddy was one of his fraternity brothers. He had read my column and told my buddy he was going to beat me up if he encountered me. My buddy knew he wasn't capable of doing it, so he brought him over to our table to see how he would react to me.

My buddy, who now is my dentist of about 40 years, and I still joke about that incident.

Reactions: cryano
You said “obligated” to answer, not should answer. I think you really believe it too like most of the other sanctimonious hacks in your (former?) profession.

Here is the definition of the word "obligated": Obligated can mean that you have to do something because the law or the rules say that you do. For example, you’re obligated to pay your taxes by April 15. It can also mean that you just feel like you need to do something because it’s the right thing to do or because you feel like you owe someone.

I was referring to what it says in the last sentence. He should have felt like it was the right thing to do because we had given him excellent coverage when he had good games. Those games, by the way, were against pitiful opponents in the non-conference portion of the season.

sounds like he was hitting on you.

Coaches like Lee Corso and the late Doug Blubaugh (IU wrestling coach) both were really nice to me when I covered their teams for the IDS. Coach Fitch (IU golf coach when I was there), on the other hand, wasn't so nice to me when I covered golf my sophomore year at IU because he realized I knew nothing about it at that time.

Here is the definition of the word "obligated": Obligated can mean that you have to do something because the law or the rules say that you do. For example, you’re obligated to pay your taxes by April 15. It can also mean that you just feel like you need to do something because it’s the right thing to do or because you feel like you owe someone.

I was referring to what it says in the last sentence. He should have felt like it was the right thing to do because we had given him excellent coverage when he had good games. Those games, by the way, were against pitiful opponents in the non-conference portion of the season.

I have all kinds of anecdotes regarding my days as a sportswriter. My senior year, I wrote a column in the IDS regarding an IU student who was a catcher in the Cape Cod League. When I asked him why he wasn't playing baseball for the Hoosiers, he said he had been advised by his Cape Cod League coach not to waste his time playing for IU. Obviously, I included that quote in my column.

A few days later, my girlfriend (now my wife of almost 44 years) and I were having dinner at a fast food restaurant in Bloomington. She was getting ready to return to Columbus for spring break and I was going to Florida with some of my buddies.

One of my best friends spotted us and walked over to chat with us. Another guy was with him and he introduced him to us. For some reason, the guy kept addressing me as "Sir" and telling me what a great job I did covering sports for the IDS. In other words, it was a weird event.

When I returned to Columbus about a week later, I ran into a bunch of my friends. They knew all about what happened at the fast food restaurant because they had seen our mutual friend during spring break. However, they knew even more about it than me.

The guy with my buddy was one of his fraternity brothers. He had read my column and told my buddy he was going to beat me up if he encountered me. My buddy knew he wasn't capable of doing it, so he brought him over to our table to see how he would react to me.

My buddy, who now is my dentist of about 40 years, and I still joke about that incident.

I originally went to IU in '69. Majored in extra-curricular activities. The contrast of IU during the Vietnam War and student protests, strikes and marches versus winning the NCAAT Basketball Championship with an undefeated team and celebrating years later was unreal.

After 4 years in the U.S.Navy, I lived in McNutt for 2 semesters starting in late 1975...then rented 505 E. 11th St., not far from McNutt. 5 of us from McNutt shared what we called the Phi O Phi house. It was great attending games for IU Hoosiers basketball in those years. I followed soccer closely, and didn't miss a single home football game. Some players would come over to the house to party with us.

What an education those years were.

I for one appreciate the anecdotes from those times. The stories we got in the IDS were read and appreciated.

I also appreciate the freedom of the press and support independent journalism. As always, we have to be careful to be well read because of all of the writers' biases. But we will miss investigative journalism that is being supplanted by sensationalism...just to market something.

Keep pitching it..McNutt.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCCHoosier
I originally went to IU in '69. Majored in extra-curricular activities. The contrast of IU during the Vietnam War and student protests, strikes and marches versus winning the NCAAT Basketball Championship with an undefeated team and celebrating years later was unreal.

After 4 years in the U.S.Navy, I lived in McNutt for 2 semesters starting in late 1975...then rented 505 E. 11th St., not far from McNutt. 5 of us from McNutt shared what we called the Phi O Phi house. It was great attending games for IU Hoosiers basketball in those years. I followed soccer closely, and didn't miss a single home football game. Some players would come over to the house to party with us.

I for one appreciate the anecdotes from those times. The stories we got in the IDS were read and appreciated.

I also appreciate the freedom of the press and support independent journalism. As always, we have to be careful to be well read because of all of the writers' biases. But we will miss investigative journalism that is being supplanted by sensationalism...just to market something.

Can you explain these two statements in further detail:
“I lived in McNutt for 2 semesters...”
and
“Keep pitching it..McNutt.”

They seem contradictory...

This stuff is the cure for my cabin fever. Keep it coming.

Thank you for serving in the Navy. My father and two of his brothers were in the Navy and located each other on the first VJ day. They were in San Francisco at the time. They then did a traditional prank of stealing people's hats.

Do you remember the 1975 IU football team? I covered that team for the IDS. It wasn't fun covering the game in Nebraska that year. If I remember correctly, IU lost 42-0 to the Cornhuskers, who then won the National Championship that season.

Can you explain these two statements in further detail:
“I lived in McNutt for 2 semesters...”
and
“Keep pitching it..McNutt.”

They seem contradictory...

Seriously?? Did you forget the DWS or :)?

I will proceed with the assumption that you were serious.

McNutt is a residence hall at IU.

AND McNutt is who he was responding to, so I believe he was giving him some props.

Thank you for serving in the Navy. My father and two of his brothers were in the Navy and located each other on the first VJ day. They were in San Francisco at the time. They then did a traditional prank of stealing people's hats.

Do you remember the 1975 IU football team? I covered that team for the IDS. It wasn't fun covering the game in Nebraska that year. If I remember correctly, IU lost 42-0 to the Cornhuskers, who then won the National Championship that season.
No, I don't have any memory of the game at Nebraska in '75. Sorry. In those days I just don't remember a lot of the games.

But I have stated on the board here that in 1969 or 1970 I was in speech class with Jade Butcher...and learned a lot about Astroturf, Tartanturf, etc.

In 1972, with a Navy acquaintance from Nebraska, we went from Virginia where my submarine was undergoing refit... to West Point for the Nebraska vs Army game. It really was exciting, visiting West Point and all the cadets marching to the stadium. Beautiful setting with the hills, the bluffs, the river, the crowd hyped, cadets in uniform, the cannons, the pageantry, the teams took the field. Wonderful game.

Until kickoff. Game was over early. Nebraska 77 - Army 7.

You remember incorrectly. We lost in Lincoln in '77 something like 31-17. The next year in Bloomington, it was something like 69-14. Nebraska did not win the natty either year. After '71, Nebraska never won one until '94.

You remember incorrectly. We lost in Lincoln in '77 something like 31-17. The next year in Bloomington, it was something like 69-14. Nebraska did not win the natty either year. After '71, Nebraska never won one until '94.
We got blasted in Lincoln in 1975 pretty much like MuNutty said. And it was 69-17 in ‘78. I knew several starters on the ‘78 team - Corso didn’t exactly run a tight ship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT