ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

More now that I have a real keyboard.

For a long time, "Jew" was a slur because it was considering insulting to call someone a Jew. In some countries, the local equivalent is still frowned upon. In English, it's mostly no longer a slur. It's been reclaimed, or reappropriated, if you will. But, it can still be used as a slur, even in English. Such as when people use it as a verb ("I got jewed") or when, like a certain poster here, it's used in clever substitutions ("Jew York Times").

Language is complicated. Words that are insulting in some contexts and some times may not be in other contexts and times. One of the great powers of language is that it's not static.
Louis CK had a quick segment on his "Hilarious" tour that said something about how "Jew" was the only such word that could be both the accepted term and a slur. The slur was just said with a little "stank" on it. He also talks about the little girl in "Schindler's List" standing on the mailbox and yelling, "Goodbye, Jews!"

what is so bad about being anti-racist?
Because it isn’t that. Look, nobody is in favor of racism. If “anti racist” means being against racism, we don’t need any public debate. But we do have a public debate because people like Kendi use the term to push in a different direction—that if you don’t agree with his framework you are a racist. His framework? All whites are racist for openers.

Reactions: IUCrazy2 and DANC
Because it isn’t that. Look, nobody is in favor of racism. If “anti racist” means being against racism, we don’t need any public debate. But we do have a public debate because people like Kendi use the term to push in a different direction—that if you don’t agree with his framework you are a racist. His framework? All whites are racist for openers.
Because many people who would claim to be anti-racist are really racism-deniers.

Reactions: UncleMark
While we're on the topic of Jews...

So this guy who just happens to be Jewish goes on Newsmax and proclaims that teaching CRT is a prelude to banning Jews in 1930s Germany from swimming pools, which led to kristallnacht and Death Camps...

Wonder why none of the "esteemed" panel of Steve Cortes and some Aryrian looking woman thought to point out the inherent contradictions. Like the fact that Jews were a minority and Blacks were actually banned from whites-only pools by the White Majority (codified by LAW) for the entire history of public swimming pools until at least the 1970s? Actually, we've had incidences of white rage over Blacks daring to swim at pools up thru the last decade...

Those are just minor points that should have occurred to the hosts. But of course, they were too busy adding their own examples of white kids "being mistreated" in classrooms due to being taught CRT (which they aren't)...

Sort of seems like for some of these "anti-CRT" crusaders, that the perceived teaching that racism/slavery are evil has overtaken actual SLAVERY on the diabolical scale...

Michael Savage the champion of the anti-CRT crusade...

"After taking issue with NBC News anchor Chuck Todd dismissing the right-wing outrage over CRT, saying he’d like to “reach through the screen and smack him in the face,” Savage then delivered an overheated diatribe about how the schools are literally abusing white kids.
“And now they're beating up white children in schoolrooms,” he fumed. “And I’m not going to mince words. You can cut me off if you have to. I know you probably agree with me. I can't take this anymore. And there's only one solution to it—sue the goddamn schools if they do it to your child for child abuse, and you will win.”

Then the healthy dose of Godwin's Law, which always sounds strange coming from someone on the Right. Since, you know, Hitler was a Nazi...

"He went on to assert that “children are being humiliated and hurt and damaged for life” by critical race theory, which he claimed was “nothing but racism towards white people.” And all-but-inevitably, Savage then invoked the Holocaust and Nazi Germany.

“The same kind of thing started in Germany. The Jews were no good. The Jews did this. The Jews did that,” Savage dramatically exclaimed. “The next thing you know they were being excluded from swimming pools. They didn't put them in concentration camps overnight.”

I can't fathom the smiling of Antisemitism in academia and in the Black Lives Matter movement. It's mind-boggling that it's so open and media looks the other way. Instead rants about White Supremacy and non existent "systemic racism".

Reactions: DANC
They're interchangeable.
giphy.gif

Hatred of blacks because they are black is … wait fer it …. Racism.

Hatred of whites because they are white is … wait fer it. … Racism

Most folks don’t need a Ph.D. to understand this, or need to have it race-splained to them by a racist with a Ph.D. either.

When folks start telling you simple things are complicated, keep your hand on your wallet and your foot on the gas.

Last edited:
Hatred of blacks because they are black is … wait fer it …. Racism.

Hatred of whites because they are white is … wait fer it. … Racism

Most folks don’t need a Ph.D. to understand this, or need to have it race-splained to them by a racist with a Ph.D. either.

When folks start telling you simple things are complicated, keep your hand on your wallet and your foot on the gas.

Making up an emotional hysteria based on distortions and exaggerations can make the most intelligent people morons.

Show me where CRT is being taught in K-12 schools, because the more we get into this it's becoming clearer that this is another media/political created narrative to whip the right into a frenzy.

It came out in full force after George Floyd. Someone found the CRT course that's been in law schools since the 70's and distorted it by saying 'the left is now teaching our children this in kindergarten!!!!! They make them apologize for being white!!!!

It's a brilliant scam as it sure as shit has the right frothing at the mouth at the thought of this.

Problem is, it's not true. It's a college curriculum.

The bigger problem is it has now become a nebulous term that can now be easily attached to any kind of study of our race relations in school.

'My kid had to read a poem by Mia Angelou in 4th grade. They are teaching Critical Race Theory!!!!'

It's the same scare tactics that were used for segregation and the ramifications of Roe v Wade (which took ten years to make it's way due to fear campaigns).

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Here is a portal created by a conservative monitoring the 'spread of CRT in our educational system' and yeah....it's only in colleges.

https://criticalrace.org/

pay attention

It's a college curriculum, it's not in public schools as it's being sold in this argument. It's another giant fear campaign as a reaction to Floyd's death.

Take a college course, distort it by hinting that it's being taught to our small children and show film of BLM riots and social protests to shock and scare people.

I'm down for debating the points of CRT and debating if it SHOULD be brought into k-12 curriculums, but stop saying it's currently teaching our small children to feel guilty for being white (not you, those that are pushing that narrative).

Thanks for the link, gives me something to listen to while I walk the dog.

Reactions: UncleMark
Making up an emotional hysteria based on distortions and exaggerations can make the most intelligent people morons.

Show me where CRT is being taught in K-12 schools, because the more we get into this it's becoming clearer that this is another media/political created narrative to whip the right into a frenzy.

It came out in full force after George Floyd. Someone found the CRT course that's been in law schools since the 70's and distorted it by saying 'the left is now teaching our children this in kindergarten!!!!! They make them apologize for being white!!!!

It's a brilliant scam as it sure as shit has the right frothing at the mouth at the thought of this.

The bigger problem is it has now become a nebulous term that can now be easily attached to any kind of study of our race relations in school.

'My kid had to read a poem by Mia Angelou in 4th grade. They are teaching Critical Race Theory!!!!'

It's the same scare tactics that were used for segregation and the ramifications of Roe v Wade (which took ten years to make it's way due to fear campaigns).

Here is a portal created by a conservative monitoring the 'spread of CRT in our educational system' and yeah....it's only in colleges.

Exactly. I have been asking for plans, curriculum maps, pacing guides...etc, for elementary CRT indoctrination for months.
Nada.

And here we goooo......

I'm going to ask the same question Tommy and Bulk are, which is - where is CRT being taught in Loudon County? It appears the meeting was supposed to be about some kind of transgender policy proposal (side note, and not just fox, but online journalism is terrible from a nuts and bolts perspective as they do a terrible job explaining what's going on here). However, the meeting descended into chaos over CRT. Again, there was no proposal to engage in some kind of CRT program.

Also, Loudon County's school board appear to be doing itself no favors.

Perhaps it is you that has been whipped into a frenzy by race baiting propagandists in the first place. Again, you seem unwilling to consider or unable to understand this is happening on both fronts…

Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
And here we goooo......

I'm going to ask the same question Tommy and Bulk are, which is - where is CRT being taught in Loudon County? It appears the meeting was supposed to be about some kind of transgender policy proposal (side note, and not just fox, but online journalism is terrible from a nuts and bolts perspective as they do a terrible job explaining what's going on here). However, the meeting descended into chaos over CRT. Again, there was no proposal to engage in some kind of CRT program.

Obviously Kendi is not being taught in elementary school. But most if not all schools have discussed with K-12 students issues of race in the wake of George Floyd. The past year or so has allowed parents to sit in on classes. What they saw alarmed many. It was so bad, some schools actually explored ways to exclude parents from monitoring on line learning.

And here we goooo......

Here we go indeed... yay Journalism

CRT seems like a blunt instrument being used to rebel against the phenomenon we all know has been happening in schools for a while. It is probably a poor label for the phenomenon.

Whatever we decide to call it, it's the thing that manifests in students spending a month learning about Harriet Tubman and graduating without knowing who Grant is, self-censoring your papers because you know which viewpoints and topics your teacher won't be sympathetic to, etc, etc.

Some links that prove CRT (antiracism) is being taught in public schools, starting very young. (I consider some of this content good, by the way):

For those of you denying this exists, could you please explain the industry of consultants that has popped up to advise school districts on this stuff?

Finally, a link from Vox explaining antiracism and how it is not identical to "not racist" or "against racism." Antiracism is an activist position, which now subsumes particular goals (see Kendi).

When people say "CRT in schools," they mean antiracism. I think the Right started referring to antiracism as CRT strategically, because many people won't spend time to learn that antiracism is a defined term being used differently than just "not racist," which everyone agrees with.

Finally, a question: has anyone here ever actually read a book by Kendi? Either How to be an Antiracist or Stamped? There is a kids version of Stamped public schools are using to teach 7-12 year olds. I know this is happening in Oak Park specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a college curriculum, it's not in public schools as it's being sold in this argument. It's another giant fear campaign as a reaction to Floyd's death.

Take a college course, distort it by hinting that it's being taught to our small children and show film of BLM riots and social protests to shock and scare people.

I'm down for debating the points of CRT and debating if it SHOULD be brought into k-12 curriculums, but stop saying it's currently teaching our small children to feel guilty for being white (not you, those that are pushing that narrative).

Thanks for the link, gives me something to listen to while I walk the dog.
How many kids do you have in public schools?

I can tell you that I know for a fact that tenets of CRT, anti-racism, or whatever the **** else you want to call it are being taught in the K-12 schools my children attend because I have seen it. I can also tell you that "get me the curriculum" is hard as shit because you have to file a FOI request to get your hands on it now that attention is being put on the topic. But the kids were home with the parents for a major portion of the last school year, parents have a pretty good idea of what is being pushed. And it is not just CRT that is driving the anger, there is an overall devolution of academics that seems to have gone along with the introduction of SEL and DEI as well.

If you have kids and you are not intimately involved in what they are learning, you need to be. The new wave of educators are not the teachers we had when we were young....

That's incorrect. I posted about this in post # 556.
Good point, and I did read the links, just now. Sorry about that.

To be fair, those links are hardly state or local district pacing guides, or required educational standards. One is about a couple of young activist teachers in Texas trying to get the state board to include some awareness. Another is mostly about a principal in Seattle who is incorporating some CRT at her school (I would be interested to see what the parents at her school think.). The other was about someone who had set up a resource site for teachers. Most of it all seems to be in response to decades of students being taught that Columbus "discovered" America in 1492, and Europeans sure tried to get along with Indians...even going so far as breaking bread with them in November one year.
Finally, all of these examples leave out the point that public education is not the same now as it was 20 or even 10 years ago. Parents have choices if they don't like what is being taught. Private schools (with vouchers), charter schools, magnet options, home schooling...families are not necessarily tied to a school by a geographical boundary. Should schools invite the parents to the table when making decisions about curriculum? Sure...especially where options are limited. But depending on your take on the purpose of school, the vision can't be dictated by the extreme opinions of either side.

Obviously Kendi is not being taught in elementary school. But most if not all schools have discussed with K-12 students issues of race in the wake of George Floyd. The past year or so has allowed parents to sit in on classes. What they saw alarmed many. It was so bad, some schools actually explored ways to exclude parents from monitoring on line learning.
Sorry, but this is false. Kendi IS being taught in elementary school. (See post #588)

How many kids do you have in public schools?

I can tell you that I know for a fact that tenets of CRT, anti-racism, or whatever the **** else you want to call it are being taught in the K-12 schools my children attend because I have seen it. I can also tell you that "get me the curriculum" is hard as shit because you have to file a FOI request to get your hands on it now that attention is being put on the topic. But the kids were home with the parents for a major portion of the last school year, parents have a pretty good idea of what is being pushed. And it is not just CRT that is driving the anger, there is an overall devolution of academics that seems to have gone along with the introduction of SEL and DEI as well.

If you have kids and you are not intimately involved in what they are learning, you need to be. The new wave of educators are not the teachers we had when we were young....
I do respect this post, and your opinion.
That being said, the teachers I know are still mostly being driven and evaluated by state and local assessment scores. I doubt many are giving up any educational time to cover soft skills when ILEARN measures ELA and math...period, especially if their livelihood depends on it.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
If a teacher teaches that the GI Bill was a great contributor to the creation of the American middle class, is that proper history? I think it is.

If they then add that a million America Blacks were denied access to the GI Bill even though they served, is that still history or have we crossed over to CRT?

I am trying to gauge exactly where the issue is. Should we ignore that aspect, or do we teach it?

I do respect this post, and your opinion.
That being said, the teachers I know are still mostly being driven and evaluated by state and local assessment scores. I doubt many are giving up any educational time to cover soft skills when ILEARN measures ELA and math...period, especially if their livelihood depends on it.
I assume you do not live in the Chicago area.

If a teacher teaches that the GI Bill was a great contributor to the creation of the American middle class, is that proper history? I think it is.

If they then add that a million America Blacks were denied access to the GI Bill even though they served, is that still history or have we crossed over to CRT?

I am trying to gauge exactly where the issue is. Should we ignore that aspect, or do we teach it?

A good friend of mine, who is a high school English teacher, once planned out her entire year (Jr. English - American Lit) to explore the evolution in this country to involve all demographics in the American Dream...from first settlers through at least the 60's. Not sure if she has revised this to include the current BLM movement.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

What you describe is history. And it should be taught.

From Vox, here is an example of what it is to be an antiracist:

"And beyond educating those in your family and community, anti-racism is also about identifying and fighting racist practices and policies when you see them, Ranganathan said. Policing is an obvious one in this moment, but others include standardized testing that favors white students and air-pollution standards that leave black and Latinx people living in toxic neighborhoods. “To be anti-racist would be to be bold enough to call out these policies as racist,” Ranganathan said.

It’s also about identifying the teachers, politicians, and thought leaders who are working against these policies. “To be anti-racist would be to give support to these actors, and to throw your weight behind these organizations and these types of conversations,” Ranganathan explained."

Good point, and I did read the links, just now. Sorry about that.

To be fair, those links are hardly state or local district pacing guides, or required educational standards. One is about a couple of young activist teachers in Texas trying to get the state board to include some awareness. Another is mostly about a principal in Seattle who is incorporating some CRT at her school (I would be interested to see what the parents at her school think.). The other was about someone who had set up a resource site for teachers. Most of it all seems to be in response to decades of students being taught that Columbus "discovered" America in 1492, and Europeans sure tried to get along with Indians...even going so far as breaking bread with them in November one year.
Finally, all of these examples leave out the point that public education is not the same now as it was 20 or even 10 years ago. Parents have choices if they don't like what is being taught. Private schools (with vouchers), charter schools, magnet options, home schooling...families are not necessarily tied to a school by a geographical boundary. Should schools invite the parents to the table when making decisions about curriculum? Sure...especially where options are limited. But depending on your take on the purpose of school, the vision can't be dictated by the extreme opinions of either side.
This must be an Indiana thing regarding all these choices. Not true in Illinois unless you are wealthy and can afford $20K a year to send your kid to a parochial high school or $50k for a private, secular one.

This must be an Indiana thing regarding all these choices. Not true in Illinois unless you are wealthy and can afford $20K a year to send your kid to a parochial high school or $50k for a private, secular one.
In Indy, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a yard sign for some new charter school. They may outnumber Starbucks here.

2404043181_9674e411fe_c.jpg

Some links that prove CRT (antiracism) is being taught in public schools, starting very young. (I consider some of this content good, by the way):

For those of you denying this exists, could you please explain the industry of consultants that has popped up to advise school districts on this stuff?

Finally, a link from Vox explaining antiracism and how it is not identical to "not racist" or "against racism." Antiracism is an activist position, which now subsumes particular goals (see Kendi).

When people say "CRT in schools," they mean antiracism. I think the Right started referring to antiracism as CRT strategically, because many people won't spend time to learn that antiracism is a defined term being used differently than just "not racist," which everyone agrees with.

Finally, a question: has anyone here ever actually read a book by Kendi? Either How to be an Antiracist or Stamped? There is a kids version of Stamped public schools are using to teach 7-12 year olds. I know this is happening in Oak Park specifically.

So I don't have all the time in the world right now but I did review the first few links. The first two are the same story funny enough (PBS just reprinted the hechingerreport.com piece apparently). I still don't see a purposeful anti-racist curriculum denoted. Yes, there are myriad resources/consultants to help teachers/educators/administrators have an understanding of anti-racism and to consider possible systemic racism in their dealings with students. But, no actual focused curriculum. This youtuber mentioned in the first two articles seems like a boogeyman(person) b/c she has minimal subscribers and views. 9 year olds opening boxes get more views. I will admit this video is a bit insane:

I tend to disagree with the broad generalization that there are only racists and anti-racists. Those seem like poles to me. I will also agree that we should do better to teach children in school about the negative effects POC experience b/c of racial inequalities that existed 150, 100, and even 50 years ago. While I don't think the anti-racism playbook is the right one I do hope is spurs conversation on a better way.

Reactions: TommyCracker
ADVERTISEMENT