ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

I don’t think critical race theorists or critical theorists for that matter can have great points. That’s not to say those ideas should not be discussed and exposed to the test of open and free discussion. Today's problem is that we cannot have that discussion because too often the CRT advocates will say that ”you don’t get it because you are white”. That is how Marc Lamont Hill ended his interview. That ends all productive discussions going onward.

Here is why I reject critical theory in whatever form it takes, including race. Critical theory attempts to explain why power and privilege is not evenly distributed in a social group. The theory a fortiori rests on the notion that power and privilege in a group is a zero sum game. In order to have power and privilege you must take it from others. I wholeheartedly disagree. Power and privilege for any individual comes from intelligence, risk tolerance, education, being a high achiever, work, self confidence, and scores of other individual traits. The notion that white men are, or should be, afraid of changing demographics because we might lose power and privilege is bunk. The factors that give me power and privilege cannot be taken away.

Of course the question needs to be asked why does power and privilege seem to be divided along racial lines in a multi-racial group (the United States)? No doubt our slavery and Jim Crow past plays a role. Slavery has ended and the civil rights laws with various important court decisions obliterated Jim Crow, yet inequality persists. Why? I don’t think the answer lies in CRT and it’s bumper sticker messages of ”White privilege, systemic racism, or Black Lives Matter”. Inequality persists because we are teaching ourselves that it should exist because of our history. In this regard, Marc Lamont Hill is spot on when he said that race isn’t biology, it’s a social construct. The characteristics that give one power and privilege are stripped away from African Americans by all of us including CRT advocates. The cure is not in notions of whiteness or inherent white racism. The cure us to focus on providing the means to recognize and use all the tools necessary to have power an privilege for all races. We’ve done all we can to eliminate racial discrimination. A color blind society is a good thing. Teaching CRT to kids or adults can never accomplish what needs to be done to move forward.

Thanks for the interesting link. I’d love to watch Mark Lamont Hill interview Ben Carson about power and privilege.

Finally: anti-racist education is neither.
Hill clearly thinks he's smarter than everyone he interviews and his smugness and condescension shines through his interviewing style. That said, he seems polite and lets others talk. And I've NEVER seen a CRT advocate be willing to answer questions about it or engage in a debate, so I'm grateful he does this.

The point that Hill made that I thought was good (and I've heard it before; he didn't create it) is this:

To be white is to be a person that does not HAVE to think about race in the United States (pre-CRT being everywhere, of course). We have the ability to go through life, for the most part, thinking all this talk about race is irrelevant. But for a black person--no matter from where they come--race is a daily part of life in the United States (and most likely a lot of other places). From what black people say (I do not know having never lived as a black person), a black person cannot go through daily life without being reminded they are black and having some type of stigma associated with it--even if it is partly just inside the person's head. (I think this is the same for other minority people in other countries and cultures, of course, so it's not unique to the U.S., nor do I believe it is worse here than in other places). I tend to believe them because I think the same is true of other characteristics--being short or fat or bald or ugly or gorgeous. It affects everyday interactions with everyone.

I think that is an important point and one I'd never really thought about before from a personal, day-to-day perspective. I simply don't think of myself as "white" most of the time, and because of where I've lived most of my life, haven't had to.

Do I think it justifies all, most of, a lot of arguments made within CRT? No. But I do think that is an important distinction between those of us who can pass as "white" and those of us who are perceived as "black" by the people we interact with on a daily basis. That this has been dubbed "Whiteness" or "white privilege" I see as unfortunate. And I don't like a lot of other attributes that get crammed under those terms.

Power and privilege for any individual comes from intelligence, risk tolerance, education, being a high achiever, work, self confidence, and scores of other individual traits.

Really? Sometimes it comes from birth and you can’t deny this. How many Kennedy’s have served in Congress How many would have had they been born in Seymour as son/daughters of a grocer.

My daughter’s best friend is a little black girl that spends the majority of her free time at our house. I shudder at the thought of those two ever sitting in a class together with some dolt bleating on about systemic racism

This times 1000. Kids don’t want our freaking baggage and we should stop trying to give it to them.

Hill clearly thinks he's smarter than everyone he interviews and his smugness and condescension shines through his interviewing style. That said, he seems polite and lets others talk. And I've NEVER seen a CRT advocate be willing to answer questions about it or engage in a debate, so I'm grateful he does this.

The point that Hill made that I thought was good (and I've heard it before; he didn't create it) is this:

To be white is to be a person that does not HAVE to think about race in the United States (pre-CRT being everywhere, of course). We have the ability to go through life, for the most part, thinking all this talk about race is irrelevant. But for a black person--no matter from where they come--race is a daily part of life in the United States (and most likely a lot of other places). From what black people say (I do not know having never lived as a black person), a black person cannot go through daily life without being reminded they are black and having some type of stigma associated with it--even if it is partly just inside the person's head. (I think this is the same for other minority people in other countries and cultures, of course, so it's not unique to the U.S., nor do I believe it is worse here than in other places). I tend to believe them because I think the same is true of other characteristics--being short or fat or bald or ugly or gorgeous. It affects everyday interactions with everyone.

I think that is an important point and one I'd never really thought about before from a personal, day-to-day perspective. I simply don't think of myself as "white" most of the time, and because of where I've lived most of my life, haven't had to.

Do I think it justifies all, most of, a lot of arguments made within CRT? No. But I do think that is an important distinction between those of us who can pass as "white" and those of us who are perceived as "black" by the people we interact with on a daily basis. That this has been dubbed "Whiteness" or "white privilege" I see as unfortunate. And I don't like a lot of other attributes that get crammed under those terms.
I thought Hill’s question about what Rufo likes about being white was simply weird. I don’t think I would have answered in any terms except about what I like about being me.

I’ve talked about some of this stuff with a black guy I’ve known best as an adult. He died a few years ago so I didn’t speak with him about what he would have thought about CRT. . He was a techie and did quite well working for start ups, Fortune 500’s and on his own. He lwas born and raised in Denver and lived in Silicon Valley and Fort Collins as an adult. Being black in Fort Collins, and not being connected with CSU, is rare. My friend was an avid skier and was on the National Ski Patrol for 25 years. You can’t get much more white, literally and figuratively, than a ski slope. I asked him once about what it was like being a black guy in that environment. His answer surprised me. He said he felt zero racism skiing and patrolling. He felt zero racism in his testing and certifications needed to continue with patrolling. He also felt very little racism in his profession. He was a Republican and active in local politics and felt no racism there. He said the whiter the environment the more he felt accepted as an individual, not as a black guy. I think about his comments when I listen to those who say all whites are racist.

Back to Hill. I’d love to get him under oath and drill down on what he really means about being reminded every day about being black. I don't think it’s as it seems. But them I’m an old white guy.

Discussing those questions are what the anti-CRT people are wanting to prohibit.
No, we are saying that if adults need to discuss those questions then they are unsettled questions that should not be taught to children as settled facts.

Reactions: DANC
Might have been interesting if they asked people that they polled exactly what CRT is.I'm still not exactly sure as the definition I often see on media sites (like Fox) which are hubs of anti-CRT efforts doesn't exactly mesh with the definition that the people who created or who utilize CRT apply to it. Wonder how much of that is by design? ...

For example, Fox hates CRT (pretty obvious), but even I'm shocked to the degree to which they feel the need to discuss it, much less attack it. I mean according to Media Matters Fox has mentioned CRT over 1330 times since mid-March. I personally find that bizarre as my limit of actually even thinking about it (esp prior to WC discussions) was probably south of 100...

But to knowingly mischaracterize KNOWN political operatives as "concerned parents" seems a little over the top, even for Fox... I mean we're talking about at least a dozen or so partisan political operatives who Fox never mentioned were actually anti-CRT operatives and not just "concerned parents"

The argument on CRT seems esp pronounced in Louden Co VA, where a couple of people defined as "parents" are actually activists, likely paid. One (Ian Pryor) is a past Fox "contributor". Another was merely identified as a "teacher"...

"Another regular ol’ concerned person that Fox featured—this time as “one of the teachers who was at that school board meeting” in Loudoun County that opposed critical race theory—was Lilet Vanetsyan, who is actually affiliated with pro-Trump political group Turning Point USA, runs a Teachers for Trump social-media group, and has worked as a reporter for conservative outlet Right Side Broadcasting Network."

As usual, follow the $$ when trying to analyze the grassroots aspects of these supposedly locally based controversies. Sort of reminiscent of those "local Tea Party rallies" which we only learned after the fact mainly consisted of activists bussed from respective Town Hall to Town Hall by the Koch Bros and Tobacco lobbyists...

Here is an NBC News expose on the "dark money" funding the anti-CRT movement

"Jeff Porter, superintendent of a wealthy suburban school district in Maine, had no idea that his community was about to become part of a national battle when in the summer of 2020 a father began accusing the district of trying to “indoctrinate” his children by teaching critical race theory.

To Porter, the issue was straightforward: The district had denounced white supremacy in the wake of George Floyd’s murder by police, but did not teach critical race theory, the academic study of racism’s pervasive impact."

The Democratic Party is the party of identitypolitics. Has been from the start. FDR made it into its core. During Obama it became postmodern identitypolitics. During Biden its the really toxic variant of identitypolitics based on Critical Race Theory.

This is one of the hot button issues the Pubs are desperately trying to gain traction with.
They want to pretend that it resonates outside the "base" (it doesn't) and that it isn't racist. We all know there are no racists in the GOP, but that claim keeps getting undermined by some of the people so desperate to attack CRT and use it as a cultural wedge issue... For example...

Rep Ray Garafalo (GOP-LA) introduced a bill in the State Legislature to, in effect, ban the teaching of CRT in LA schools. He made the regrettable slip of the tongue where he claimed that students needed to be taught "the good,bad and ugly" of slavery and in a clip that went viral was immediately confronted by fellow GOP Rep Stephanie Hilferty who blurted out "there is no good to slavery...

Now if you watch the entire clip of the actual exchange you realize how tortured and awkward a discourse it is, with Garafalo being forced to admit that just like the Holocaust we know slavery was evil, despite the fact that there are no living witnesses to rely on with first-hand knowledge. People who commented on the video felt it was actually a Freudian slip by Garafalo, but I'll reserve judgement on whether or not he is racist because really don't know...

He was forced to withdraw his bill, but the aftermath revealed a few more splits within the GOP. The story came to my attention when I read about a prominent women named Martha Huckaby, who is President of the Republican Women's Club of New Orleans. Huckaby posted a FB attack on Hilferty and actually doubled down on the idea that we don't KNOW slavery was "bad"...

“What is Stephanie Hilferty doing here? Why is she trying to trap a Republican and twist his words?” Huckabay wrote on Facebook. “How does she 100% know there is ‘no good to slavery’ if none of us were around during slavery?”

She then went a step further...

“Weren’t some slaves treated really well?” she noted. “I know in the Bible they were.”

More details here...

No offense to Martha, but she has exposed herself here, and basically is assuming the slavery counterpart of a Holocaust denier. Some of the supporting comments coming out of the woodwork illustrate the PR problem the Pubs have outside of the base in attacking CRT and trying to claim the attacks aren't steeped in racism.

And Garafalo is not just some run of the mill State Legislator proposing wacky Legislation. He is actually (for the time being) the head of the state's education committee...
Tl;dr

Reactions: DANC and Lucy01
Yeah, as long as you don't use the N word, belong to the KKK, or support segregation, then you cannot even possibly be even 0.1% racist. :rolleyes:

To derail the topic:

As it relates to the N word, why are black people the only racial group that have adopted the use of an ethnic slur in frequent daily interactions (in person, online, etc.) and as part of its mainstream media (music, movies, etc.)?

To derail the topic:

As it relates to the N word, why are black people the only racial group that have adopted the use of an ethnic slur in frequent daily interactions (in person, online, etc.) and as part of its mainstream media (music, movies, etc.)?
I suppose it's kind of like me calling one of my small-town Indiana friends a redneck. We joke about it all the time.

But if someone from out of town or, say, someone from New York were to say the same thing, some would get offended.

And the N word has a worse history, so feelings run much deeper.

I suppose it's kind of like me calling one of my small-town Indiana friends a redneck. We joke about it all the time.

But if someone from out of town or, say, someone from New York were to say the same thing, some would get offended.

Wow, you had a rational thought. Or somebody hacked into your account...

Reactions: cosmickid
I call bullshit on that. Everything you post is straight from those sources.
I catch Rachel Maddow a time or two a week. Until last fall I had never watched MSNBC in my life. CNN is OK in small doses except for Cuomo and Lemon. I don't tune in for unsupported opinion. It must seem odd to you, but I am very "into" FACTS. Verifiable, supported info. Very unFoxish.

I catch Rachel Maddow a time or two a week. Until last fall I had never watched MSNBC in my life. CNN is OK in small doses except for Cuomo and Lemon. I don't tune in for unsupported opinion. It must seem odd to you, but I am very "into" FACTS. Verifiable, supported info. Very unFoxish.
Yeah, right. Considering you never cite any facts when you reply to me. You rely totally on unverified info.

And if you listen to Maddow, 'nuff said.

What other ethnic groups call themselves derogatory slurs?

To derail the topic:

It's called reclamation, and it's not unique to blacks (nor to racial groups). The LGBT community has worked to reclaim a number of terms, probably most successfully with "queer." Many working class whites proudly identify as "white trash." Feminist activists have long worked to reclaim words like "bitch." Even the word "Jew" was once considered a derogatory slur.

It's called reclamation, and it's not unique to blacks (nor to racial groups). The LGBT community has worked to reclaim a number of terms, probably most successfully with "queer." Many working class whites proudly identify as "white trash." Feminist activists have long worked to reclaim words like "bitch." Even the word "Jew" was once considered a derogatory slur.

nobody cares about the queers

(Joke for gay pride month)

these are quite a stretch relative to the discriminatory magnitude IMO. Jews don’t go around calling themselves Kikes.

it’s also thrown out in many various contexts, not necessarily in a self deprecating way

these are quite a stretch relative to the discriminatory magnitude IMO. Jews don’t go around calling themselves Kikes.

it’s also thrown out in many various contexts, not necessarily in a self deprecating way
The word "Jew" itself used to be derogatory. The fact you don't see it as such is evidence this process of reclamation happens.

The word "Jew" itself used to be derogatory. The fact you don't see it as such is evidence this process of reclamation happens.

You mean a word short for Jewish, which is part of the religion it references, is derogatory? LOL.

Why such aversion? “Jew” is not a slur. It is a descriptor most Jews will use without a moment’s thought. It’s just who we are. Derived from the Hebrew word “Yehuda,” the name of the foremost of the 12 tribes of Ancient Israel, it’s a cognate of the Hebrew word “yehudi,” which means Jew or Jewish.

Plenty of people, particularly non-Jews, avoid the word “Jew” for that reason, says Sarah Bunin Benor, who researches American Jewish language. “Many people assume that it’s a slur because they know that Jews are historically a stigmatized group, so they’re concerned about using it because they don’t want to sound offensive,” she said.

washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/05/jew-not-slur/

I'll await your use of the N word in common speak

You mean a word short for Jewish, which is part of the religion it references, is derogatory? LOL.

Why such aversion? “Jew” is not a slur. It is a descriptor most Jews will use without a moment’s thought. It’s just who we are. Derived from the Hebrew word “Yehuda,” the name of the foremost of the 12 tribes of Ancient Israel, it’s a cognate of the Hebrew word “yehudi,” which means Jew or Jewish.

Plenty of people, particularly non-Jews, avoid the word “Jew” for that reason, says Sarah Bunin Benor, who researches American Jewish language. “Many people assume that it’s a slur because they know that Jews are historically a stigmatized group, so they’re concerned about using it because they don’t want to sound offensive,” she said.

I don't know why you're having such a difficult time with the phrase "used to be."

It seems women are using the B word more, at least on tv, is that the same?

I don't know why you're having such a difficult time with the phrase "used to be."
While we're on the topic of Jews...

So this guy who just happens to be Jewish goes on Newsmax and proclaims that teaching CRT is a prelude to banning Jews in 1930s Germany from swimming pools, which led to kristallnacht and Death Camps...

Wonder why none of the "esteemed" panel of Steve Cortes and some Aryrian looking woman thought to point out the inherent contradictions. Like the fact that Jews were a minority and Blacks were actually banned from whites-only pools by the White Majority (codified by LAW) for the entire history of public swimming pools until at least the 1970s? Actually, we've had incidences of white rage over Blacks daring to swim at pools up thru the last decade...

Those are just minor points that should have occurred to the hosts. But of course, they were too busy adding their own examples of white kids "being mistreated" in classrooms due to being taught CRT (which they aren't)...

Sort of seems like for some of these "anti-CRT" crusaders, that the perceived teaching that racism/slavery are evil has overtaken actual SLAVERY on the diabolical scale...

Michael Savage the champion of the anti-CRT crusade...

"After taking issue with NBC News anchor Chuck Todd dismissing the right-wing outrage over CRT, saying he’d like to “reach through the screen and smack him in the face,” Savage then delivered an overheated diatribe about how the schools are literally abusing white kids.
“And now they're beating up white children in schoolrooms,” he fumed. “And I’m not going to mince words. You can cut me off if you have to. I know you probably agree with me. I can't take this anymore. And there's only one solution to it—sue the goddamn schools if they do it to your child for child abuse, and you will win.”

Then the healthy dose of Godwin's Law, which always sounds strange coming from someone on the Right. Since, you know, Hitler was a Nazi...

"He went on to assert that “children are being humiliated and hurt and damaged for life” by critical race theory, which he claimed was “nothing but racism towards white people.” And all-but-inevitably, Savage then invoked the Holocaust and Nazi Germany.

“The same kind of thing started in Germany. The Jews were no good. The Jews did this. The Jews did that,” Savage dramatically exclaimed. “The next thing you know they were being excluded from swimming pools. They didn't put them in concentration camps overnight.”

Last edited:

So this guy who just happens to be Jewish goes on Newsmax and proclaims that teaching CRT is a prelude to banning Jews in 1930s Germany from swimming pools, which led to kristallnacht and Death Camps...

Wonder why none of the "esteemed" panel of Steve Cortes and some Aryrian looking woman thought to point out the inherent contradictions. Like the fact that Jews were a minority and Blacks were actually banned from whites-only pools by the White Majority (codified by LAW) for the entire history of public swimming pools until at least the 1970s? Actually, we've had incidences of white rage over Blacks daring to swim at pools up thru the last decade...

Those are just minor points that should have occurred to the hosts. But of course, they were too busy adding their own examples of white kids "being mistreated" in classrooms due to being taught CRT (which they aren't)...

Sort of seems like for some of these "anti-CRT" crusaders, that the perceived teaching that racism/slavery are evil has overtaken actual SLAVERY on the diabolical scale...

"After taking issue with NBC News anchor Chuck Todd dismissing the right-wing outrage over CRT, saying he’d like to “reach through the screen and smack him in the face,” Savage then delivered an overheated diatribe about how the schools are literally abusing white kids.
“And now they're beating up white children in schoolrooms,” he fumed. “And I’m not going to mince words. You can cut me off if you have to. I know you probably agree with me. I can't take this anymore. And there's only one solution to it—sue the goddamn schools if they do it to your child for child abuse, and you will win.”

Then the healthy dose of Godwin's Law, which always sounds strange coming from someone on the Right. Since, you know, Hitler was a Nazi...

"He went on to assert that “children are being humiliated and hurt and damaged for life” by critical race theory, which he claimed was “nothing but racism towards white people.” And all-but-inevitably, Savage then invoked the Holocaust and Nazi Germany.

“The same kind of thing started in Germany. The Jews were no good. The Jews did this. The Jews did that,” Savage dramatically exclaimed. “The next thing you know they were being excluded from swimming pools. They didn't put them in concentration camps overnight.”

on to the next i see

They’re talking about things happening today in historical context, you’re just talking about history. I’m quite certain you can’t see the difference, however…

Is CRT the second-coming of Nazism? No.

Conservatives don't like CRT (which again, for the umpteenth time to avoid confusion, is used as an umbrella term nowadays to encompass all Critical Social Justice as defined by Lindsay and Pluckrose) for good reason.

Neither do old-school liberals or old-school Marxists.

Put another way, you can abhor Hitler, racism, and CRT and be perfectly consistent. Many people of all political stripes, ideologies, ethnicities, and skin colors do.

Anti-racism (ala Kendi) is derived from CRT and is being defined as CRT in common parlance today. Anti-racism (ala Kendi) is being taught in elementary schools:

More now that I have a real keyboard.

For a long time, "Jew" was a slur because it was considering insulting to call someone a Jew. In some countries, the local equivalent is still frowned upon. In English, it's mostly no longer a slur. It's been reclaimed, or reappropriated, if you will. But, it can still be used as a slur, even in English. Such as when people use it as a verb ("I got jewed") or when, like a certain poster here, it's used in clever substitutions ("Jew York Times").

Language is complicated. Words that are insulting in some contexts and some times may not be in other contexts and times. One of the great powers of language is that it's not static.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT