ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

read my edit. but your lack of self-awareness as it relates to your bias and isn't something new. ranger and many others have called you on it
That doesn't explain anything.

I'm probably the only person in this thread willing to admit that changing circumstances may have made my original view on the topic no longer viable. I have no idea what that says about my self-awareness, but I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't indicate a lack of such.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You guys really need to stop defensively backing into the "it's not racist" corner. As far as I can tell, Tommy didn't even begin to suggest it was racist. Rather, he very explicitly pointed out that there weren't a whole lot of Republican blacks, because something about the conservative movement isn't exactly attractive to most black people, and that it might be worth it to conservatives to try to figure out why.
My opinion, because blacks have historically leaned on the government for support against the wrongs done against them. The government fought a war to end slavery. The government forced integration. The government instituted the Civil Rights Act. And for some, the government hands out benefits (you are lying to yourself if you believe this is not part of it for at least a percentage of them...same as for every race).

So someone having a message of less government and more personal responsibility sounds scary to them. Leaving things up to people has not always worked out well for them might be a POV that they would have.

That being said, Trump's version of the GOP was making inroads with the black community. Blacks tend to be much more socially conservative than white liberals. In fact, he made gains with every voting block except white males in the last election. He did not lose because minorities voted against him in greater numbers than most GOP candidates, he lost because people like Ranger, Aloha, and Twenty02 did not vote for him.

I think Republicans have made a mistake on 2 counts. The first is that the only real position they have seemed willing to go to the mat for is tax cuts. Everything else has been expendable if the pressure were too high. I give the Democrats credit. I think the positions taken by many of the Democrats these days are bat shit crazy...but they fight. My side has been run by pussies who retreat at the first signs of pushback from the beltway. We get rhetoric and tax cuts. The second mistake is related to that first issue. The GOP believes in "less government interference". Which generally means, I don't want to get too deep into that because it is hard (and it does not fill my donation coffers like a tax cut). So I can live in a state like Indiana that is completely red and have some real hot button issues that I would like our pussy, pissant Governor, the Indiana Spaekaer of the House, and my state senator to get involved in but they think it should be a local matter....unless of course it involves a tax abatement for the next member of the CoC. They are all ears when that shit comes up.

When you come from a group that is more heavily working class to poor, a party with a tax cut message doesn't really resonate much because you already are not paying taxes.

And let's be real, the majority of popular media and entertainment is skewed left. That helps when you have a President's son dropping the "n word" like a 90's rapper to his buddies. When the more racially insensitive people on my side of the aisle make a misstep, it becomes much bigger news. 40 or so years of that cover tends to make our job a little harder.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
You guys get frustrated at the racist accusations, I'm just trying to offer some reasons why.

When your platform doesn't appeal to minorities, there's a reason.

When your party is overwhelmingly white, there's a reason.

It's up to the party on if they want to tweak some things and be more inclusive....or just be Duke in the analogy and say things are fine, IU is just a bunch of pussy complainers.
There is a healthy level of dialogue on race relations....and then there is the kind that is promoted by racists like AOC and the radical left that drive a wedge between us. When you make every single thing in life about the color of skin, you’re not helping efforts to improve issues. The race card gets used in situations where it doesn’t even apply but an AOC sees everything to do with race.

That doesn't explain anything.

I'm probably the only person in this thread willing to admit that changing circumstances may have made my original view on the topic no longer viable. I have no idea what that says about my self-awareness, but I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't indicate a lack of such.
If I were black I certainly wouldn’t want to pattern my life after yours!

read my edit. but your lack of self-awareness as it relates to your bias isn't something new. ranger and many others have called you on it
I have on several occasions, he only get defensiver and defensiver...it is part of his creed.

Sadly, the constant barrage of baseless accusations of racism has now produced another round of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome.
This has always been the case. The zealous need to call someone an "ist" of any sort sets the good causes back every single time. The people that can make a difference...the people in the middle become numb to the self-serving bleating.

"Vulgar Postmodernism aka The Pomoid Cluster."
The ideas of the Pomoid cluster to me looks nearly identical to Critical Race Theory.
We have to be careful not to conflate Critical Race Theory with political Critical Race Theory (postmodern identity politics). It let's media, academics and educators an easy way out: "You're criticizing a theory." The linked article explains

I saw a very interesting documentary on Netflix regarding the Bernard Goetz case. Fascinating to see how New Yorkers of different races reacted to that shooting.

The idea of five races of humans around the globe is way too general to be meaningful.

Nevertheless, as proven again in this thread the topic of race is one about which many have opinions. Conflicting opinions that is. Opinions which repeated often enough become a fact.

As for me, as i have stated many times on this forum, we use the term "racist" all too often in our political discussions. For example, when Trump declared many immigrants from Mexico as being undesirable, he was called a racist. Since when do Mexicans constitute a race? Heck, Mexico has a diverse group of people with a large variety of ethnic heritage.

The idea of five races of humans around the globe is way too general to be meaningful.

Nevertheless, as proven again in this thread the topic of race is one about which many have opinions. Conflicting opinions that is. Opinions which repeated often enough become a fact.

As for me, as i have stated many times on this forum, we use the term "racist" all too often in our political discussions. For example, when Trump declared many immigrants from Mexico as being undesirable, he was called a racist. Since when do Mexicans constitute a race? Heck, Mexico has a diverse group of people with a large variety of ethnic heritage.
Far to many people confuse being a racist with being an asshole. Trump may or may not be a racist but he's asshole 24×7. If assholes were a tribe he would be their king.

You're blowing the minds of Leftists on this board when you say Mexico isn't made up of a certain race.

They also think "Muslim' is a country, as evidenced by the charges of racism when he wanted to bar people from some Muslin-majority countries.

As for me, as i have stated many times on this forum, we use the term "racist" all too often in our political discussions. For example, when Trump declared many immigrants from Mexico as being undesirable, he was called a racist. Since when do Mexicans constitute a race? Heck, Mexico has a diverse group of people with a large variety of ethnic
There is only one race.
The human race.

Reactions: DANC
My opinion, because blacks have historically leaned on the government for support against the wrongs done against them. The government fought a war to end slavery. The government forced integration. The government instituted the Civil Rights Act. And for some, the government hands out benefits (you are lying to yourself if you believe this is not part of it for at least a percentage of them...same as for every race).

So someone having a message of less government and more personal responsibility sounds scary to them. Leaving things up to people has not always worked out well for them might be a POV that they would have.

That being said, Trump's version of the GOP was making inroads with the black community. Blacks tend to be much more socially conservative than white liberals. In fact, he made gains with every voting block except white males in the last election. He did not lose because minorities voted against him in greater numbers than most GOP candidates, he lost because people like Ranger, Aloha, and Twenty02 did not vote for him.

I think Republicans have made a mistake on 2 counts. The first is that the only real position they have seemed willing to go to the mat for is tax cuts. Everything else has been expendable if the pressure were too high. I give the Democrats credit. I think the positions taken by many of the Democrats these days are bat shit crazy...but they fight. My side has been run by pussies who retreat at the first signs of pushback from the beltway. We get rhetoric and tax cuts. The second mistake is related to that first issue. The GOP believes in "less government interference". Which generally means, I don't want to get too deep into that because it is hard (and it does not fill my donation coffers like a tax cut). So I can live in a state like Indiana that is completely red and have some real hot button issues that I would like our pussy, pissant Governor, the Indiana Spaekaer of the House, and my state senator to get involved in but they think it should be a local matter....unless of course it involves a tax abatement for the next member of the CoC. They are all ears when that shit comes up.

When you come from a group that is more heavily working class to poor, a party with a tax cut message doesn't really resonate much because you already are not paying taxes.

And let's be real, the majority of popular media and entertainment is skewed left. That helps when you have a President's son dropping the "n word" like a 90's rapper to his buddies. When the more racially insensitive people on my side of the aisle make a misstep, it becomes much bigger news. 40 or so years of that cover tends to make our job a little harder.
"And let's be real, the majority of popular media and entertainment is skewed left. That helps when you have a President's son dropping the "n word" like a 90's rapper to his buddies. When the more racially insensitive people on my side of the aisle make a misstep, it becomes much bigger news. 40 or so years of that cover tends to make our job a little harder."

Why exactly do you think that is? With some notable exceptions, people aren't born into Media/entertainment, so why do people who come from more conservative backgrounds often change and become more "leftist" once they are exposed to the wide world and all its issues?

We know that traditionally the REAL money in Hollywood (the studio heads/owners) were rich and right-wing oriented. Disney was almost to the level of neo-fascist if you're looking for a more modern example than the moguls of the 1920s and 30s. Yet so often the people who were employees (actors, actresses, producers) even very RICH employees tended to skew more "left", although many of these folks hailed from little BFE towns across the US. So it's probably not something in the water in Hollywood or even NYC...

You made the statement that the majority of popular media and entertainment skews left. I agree, and I have my own theories regarding the respective ways people on the left and right view humanity and the social contract. I'm just curious as to what you feel is the defining, driving force as to WHY you feel that what you said is accurate?

There is a healthy level of dialogue on race relations....and then there is the kind that is promoted by racists like AOC and the radical left that drive a wedge between us. When you make every single thing in life about the color of skin, you’re not helping efforts to improve issues. The race card gets used in situations where it doesn’t even apply but an AOC sees everything to do with race.
How in the world do you characterize AOC as Racist? Who is she supposed to be "racist" against? Not only is her heritage "Puerto Rican" but she traces her heritage back to 15th Century Sephardic (European) Jews who came to the island from the Iberian Peninsula Spain/Portugal.

Are you going to label her "anti-semitic" as well?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
How in the world do you characterize AOC as Racist? Who is she supposed to be "racist" against? Not only is her heritage "Puerto Rican" but she traces her heritage back to 15th Century Sephardic (European) Jews who came to the island from the Iberian Peninsula Spain/Portugal.

Definitely not racist.
She doesn't look like one. That's how we decide after all

You're blowing the minds of Leftists on this board when you say Mexico isn't made up of a certain race.

They also think "Muslim' is a country, as evidenced by the charges of racism when he wanted to bar people from some Muslin-majority countries.
No offense, but I'd stack the historical knowledge of most of the "leftists" on this board (esp with regards to Mexico) up against yours at any time. I mean I think most of us know that the term "Hispanic" being applied to most people living in lands where they speak "Spanish" is a direct result of native indigenous people having white Europeans from Spain as their "guests" for a few centuries...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Lucy01 and DANC
Definitely not racist.
She doesn't look like one. That's how we decide after all
You're smarter than this. He is definitely equating the term "racist" as a pejorative term for basically anyone he perceives as opposing his interests...If he had described her as a "class warrior" I'd have no-quibble

No offense, but I'd stack the historical knowledge of most of the "leftists" on this board (esp with regards to Mexico) up against yours at any time. I mean I think most of us know that the term "Hispanic" being applied to most people living in lands where they speak "Spanish" is a direct result of native indigenous people having white Europeans from Spain as their "guests" for a few centuries...
Which has nothing to do with my post.

But nice attempt at a strawman.

Reactions: Lucy01
Maher is only covering his ass for ratings. He can't be even a little bit intellectually honest and keep his credibility with the woke crowd. So now he's changing every tune he's sung for the last 2 decades and pandering to Conservatives.

F Bill Maher.
That’s an odd take. I think he’s one of the ever growing crowd of liberals that knows his party no longer stands for progress but rather Wokeness.

That’s an odd take. I think he’s one of the ever growing crowd of liberals that knows his party no longer stands for progress but rather Wokeness.
I don't think it's such an odd take. The Leftists are seeing how the woke are turning on anyone and they're worried about their own reputations.

F Bill Maher.

You must realize he is so lost in right wing propaganda that simple facts escape him. Wouldn't bother. Just more of the left is evil, right is good and they don't need facts because they know the truth and the truth comes from their tv. their stations never lie ;)

You must realize he is so lost in right wing propaganda that simple facts escape him. Wouldn't bother. Just more of the left is evil, right is good and they don't need facts because they know the truth and the truth comes from their tv. their stations never lie ;)
Aw, poor Village Idiot. You leftists here never claim the right is evil.

Maher is only covering his ass for ratings. He can't be even a little bit intellectually honest and keep his credibility with the woke crowd. So now he's changing every tune he's sung for the last 2 decades and pandering to Conservatives.

F Bill Maher.

I, like Ranger, view this is a welcome sight. I think it proves that he hated Trump, but hates nonsensical behavior more. At least he isn't willing to cave to the Woke crowd and cancel culture.

F Bill Maher.
Whatever you want to call the CRT, Woke, race essentialism, etc. phenomenon. We don't have enough Republicans to fight it ourselves.

The majority of Americans see through this nonsense and people like Maher are welcome in the coalition. We can go back to arguing about tax rates afterwards.

Whatever you want to call the CRT, Woke, race essentialism, etc. phenomenon. We don't have enough Republicans to fight it ourselves.

The majority of Americans see through this nonsense and people like Maher are welcome in the coalition. We can go back to arguing about tax rates afterwards.
I don't doubt he is actually sincere. But the bullshit he's been spreading for over 2 decades has been intellectually dishonest.

I just question his motives now. Well, not questioning, really - just pointing out what a 180 degree turnabout he's making now.

F BIll Maher

I, like Ranger, view this is a welcome sight. I think it proves that he hated Trump, but hates nonsensical behavior more. At least he isn't willing to cave to the Woke crowd and cancel culture.
He was spouting nonsensical behavior well before Trump came along.

Sure, now that Trump is out of the way, he's more free to express his real thoughts. He accomplished what he and much of the other media wanted - Trump's defeat. Whatever he said that was intellectually dishonest is now forgiven, I guess.

F Bill Maher. And the horse he rode in on.

I don't doubt he is actually sincere. But the bullshit he's been spreading for over 2 decades has been intellectually dishonest.

I just question his motives now. Well, not questioning, really - just pointing out what a 180 degree turnabout he's making now.

F BIll Maher
Bill Maher has approached the tough issues surrounding our politico theater far better and logically than most people like him have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT