ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

Meanwhile, a major "con" gets exposed in Idaho...Gotta love the way this guy expresses his disdain for the Idaho Legislature. He's not the first person I've read who has taken them to task for the imbecilic nature of their current session. But he may be the most colorful...

"This year's assault on education in the Idaho Legislature was sparked by a claim that a white student at Boise State University had been demeaned and "forced to apologize for being white."

This allegation came from an unidentified, non-student "community leader" who claimed to have seen a video of the incident on a friend's phone. Among the other claims were that the student had been taunted and called stupid.

This claim — accepted at face value from conservatives and peddled hard by critical-race-theory grifters in Idaho political circles — became an article of faith in the Legislature, which cut BSU's budget, along with other Idaho colleges, in retribution.

Much of this baseless outrage was driven by the Idaho Freedom Foundation, the libertarian, anti-government lobbying organization that drags a significant number of Idaho lawmakers around on a leash."

"The firm interviewed 30 students who took the course, University Foundations, as well as instructors and others. They reached out repeatedly to offer any student who had taken that course a chance to provide information, either anonymously or using their name. They contacted the original complainant, who would not, or could not, provide corroboration.

No one reported being forced to apologize for their race or being taunted or insulted, and no one reported seeing anything like the incidents that drove the Legislature crazy.

It's almost as if the whole thing were a political con."

[/QUOTE
Do us a favor and never post here again!

Reactions: DANC
Meanwhile, a major "con" gets exposed in Idaho...Gotta love the way this guy expresses his disdain for the Idaho Legislature. He's not the first person I've read who has taken them to task for the imbecilic nature of their current session. But he may be the most colorful...

"This year's assault on education in the Idaho Legislature was sparked by a claim that a white student at Boise State University had been demeaned and "forced to apologize for being white."

This allegation came from an unidentified, non-student "community leader" who claimed to have seen a video of the incident on a friend's phone. Among the other claims were that the student had been taunted and called stupid.

This claim — accepted at face value from conservatives and peddled hard by critical-race-theory grifters in Idaho political circles — became an article of faith in the Legislature, which cut BSU's budget, along with other Idaho colleges, in retribution.

Much of this baseless outrage was driven by the Idaho Freedom Foundation, the libertarian, anti-government lobbying organization that drags a significant number of Idaho lawmakers around on a leash."

"The firm interviewed 30 students who took the course, University Foundations, as well as instructors and others. They reached out repeatedly to offer any student who had taken that course a chance to provide information, either anonymously or using their name. They contacted the original complainant, who would not, or could not, provide corroboration.

No one reported being forced to apologize for their race or being taunted or insulted, and no one reported seeing anything like the incidents that drove the Legislature crazy.

It's almost as if the whole thing were a political con."
Too many extremists in our country have tricked themselves into thinking that their preferred ends justify any means necessary. It happens on both ends of the spectrum and it is harming our democracy. If this was a con, I hope they are exposed and suffer consequences.

Too many extremists in our country have tricked themselves into thinking that their preferred ends justify any means necessary. It happens on both ends of the spectrum and it is harming our democracy. If this was a con, I hope they are exposed and suffer consequences.

Just to be boring, in WWI both sides used propaganda quite effectively to whip up support for the war inside their own countries. The paradox of this was that the more they did that the victory goalposts were moved further back. Germany could no longer negotiate a peace in 1918 that they could have in 1914 because their own people would have thought it a loss. Same for the allied side. The more they tried to win the war the more impossible it became to win the war.

I suspect we see that in America today. If we all believe we are in an existential battle the harder it becomes to work toward something together.

This link stems from the Memorial Day war movie thread, but I didn't want to pollute that thread with what might turn political. This is a bit about the history of Memorial Day and what might have been the first celebration of it by freed slaves in Charleston. I find it a powerful story that anyone can appreciate no matter what side of this divide they fall upon:

This link stems from the Memorial Day war movie thread, but I didn't want to pollute that thread with what might turn political. This is a bit about the history of Memorial Day and what might have been the first celebration of it by freed slaves in Charleston. I find it a powerful story that anyone can appreciate no matter what side of this divide they fall upon:

I just saw this post from a while back, and the story is indeed powerful. Unfortunately, by now you (likely) know that an attempt to share this story or even refer to it by a military vet in a Memorial Day speech at an American Legion in Ohio was censored. They initially objected to that part of his speech, and when he kept it in his speech despite their objections they turned his mike off...

So apparently your genuinely common-sense appreciation of the story as something "anyone can appreciate" is (unfortunately) sadly just not true. It's even hard for me to believe, and I'm to the point where I'm no longer shocked by the depth of some people's racism. And the ease with which they are willing to express it openly without shame or embarrassment...

Just in case you missed it...

Great discussion on the topic

This is a year old (although I just saw it today). It's more the 1619 Project from the NYT, which preceded and precipitated the whole debate on CRT, than CRT itself. But after watching this admittedly brief interview with the author/originator of the Times piece, I'm at a loss as to why some people view this as controversial? No doubt my stupidity will be pointed out to me in various replies...

But I find it hard to argue with anything she says, and it's not like she hasn't done her homework. I mean can anyone deny that an undercurrent of the opposition to certain social programs is intrinsically related to who is perceived as benefitting from them?

I wasn't aware of the Freedman's Bureau's attempts to secure universal healthcare or the benefits to various Northern interests that slavery presented even in 1860. But in the context of what we've seen it all ties in together pretty succinctly... Does anyone really want to argue that jealousy and resentment do not play a huge role in opposition to social programs?

Reactions: TommyCracker

This is what passes for "intellectual" thought at Yale these days.
No matter how certain lefty posters on this board (and they know who they are) try to downplay this, it is ubiquitous. Every facet of life has been corrupted by this garbage. And ground zero is the social sciences and humanities departments at our colleges and universities for the last thirty years.

What’s sad is there will most likely be no blowback at all on the people involved. This type of racism is encouraged at places like Yale these days.

I’m really struggling to see what the objective of CRT is. I for one will not all the sudden have some feeling of guilt for being white.

It was interesting when she said, “White people love talking about race right now. You cannot get them to shut the **** up. It makes them feel good. And, they also imagine it makes us feel good to see their true enlightenment. Talking about racism is a form of self-congratulatory masturbation. White people exchange pleasantries, without really addressing racism. It serves no purpose in connecting other than to jerk themselves off.”

I think there's a lot to that. ;)

It was interesting when she said, “White people love talking about race right now. You cannot get them to shut the **** up. It makes them feel good. And, they also imagine it makes us feel good to see their true enlightenment. Talking about racism is a form of self-congratulatory masturbation. White people exchange pleasantries, without really addressing racism. It serves no purpose in connecting other than to jerk themselves off.”

And zero calls for accountability within the black community. 40 people were shot over the Memorial Day weekend in Chicago. I can’t remember how many in Saint Louis. It’s a massive emotional and financial drain on cities and all of us. Crime I read is now the number one concern among Americans.

75 percent of the black US population hasn’t received a single Covid shot. But we’re so pc and so amped on playing the oppression/victim cards that we’re afraid to ask for any accountability.

Racism is real. We just saw it in the nfl’s patently racist brain injury compensation formula. But racism (historic and present) doesn’t excuse poor behavior nor does it implicate all of us whites in some sort of bizarre self-shaming initiative

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
I just saw this post from a while back, and the story is indeed powerful. Unfortunately, by now you (likely) know that an attempt to share this story or even refer to it by a military vet in a Memorial Day speech at an American Legion in Ohio was censored. They initially objected to that part of his speech, and when he kept it in his speech despite their objections they turned his mike off...

So apparently your genuinely common-sense appreciation of the story as something "anyone can appreciate" is (unfortunately) sadly just not true. It's even hard for me to believe, and I'm to the point where I'm no longer shocked by the depth of some people's racism. And the ease with which they are willing to express it openly without shame or embarrassment...

Just in case you missed it...

I did not know about that Ohio story. Terrible. We need to listen to each other, not silence each other.

I think she would find many that want to STFU about the stuff that she is paid to lecture on, but that would be "silence is violence" or something.

I just cannot get past the idea that this stuff is being pushed with no discernable goal stated. "We want less racism." Ok, that is admirable but none of this is actionable. It just seems like it is supposed to be a big bitching session about things, we talk, you listen and then....harmony or something? It is South Park underpants gnomes type of planning.

Again, I don't have any answers but I believe it comes down to do we acknowledge and talk about it in a structured setting or do we keep to ourselves and hope eventually we come to a place where everyone is recognized as playing on the same team as Americans.

Oliver just did a piece on Asian Americans and how they get used as the 'model minority' by the majority, which sparks all kinds of dysfunction.

From the feeling that AAPI aren't true blooded Americans, how they are all one group even though there are hundreds of origin distinctions, to the stereotypes and to the hostilities between minority groups as Asians get labeled as the 'model minority' in a 'see blacks and Latinos, asians are quiet, smart and hardworking and they succeed!!'

Without realizing that we've treated asians like ass in this country especially in times of crisis.

I’m really struggling to see what the objective of CRT is. I for one will not all the sudden have some feeling of guilt for being white.
I’ve wondered the same thing. I don’t think there is an objective. Because we will always have different races, I think the purpose of CRT is to have perpetual conflict. For those who are revolutionaries at heart, perpetual conflict has value.

Reactions: F.Fletch and DANC
This is a year old (although I just saw it today). It's more the 1619 Project from the NYT, which preceded and precipitated the whole debate on CRT, than CRT itself. But after watching this admittedly brief interview with the author/originator of the Times piece, I'm at a loss as to why some people view this as controversial? No doubt my stupidity will be pointed out to me in various replies...

But I find it hard to argue with anything she says, and it's not like she hasn't done her homework. I mean can anyone deny that an undercurrent of the opposition to certain social programs is intrinsically related to who is perceived as benefitting from them?

I wasn't aware of the Freedman's Bureau's attempts to secure universal healthcare or the benefits to various Northern interests that slavery presented even in 1860. But in the context of what we've seen it all ties in together pretty succinctly... Does anyone really want to argue that jealousy and resentment do not play a huge role in opposition to social programs?

Boy, that was some hard hitting questioning of Ms. Jones' Pulitzer Prize winning pile of crap. Another waste of American tax dollars.

Fact is the 1619 project is riddled with historical errors. Historians from all sides have stated such. Now, it is being used as the framework and the lense through which history is being taught. Our education system is a cesspool of neo-Marxist professors and teachers with some really rather disreputable ideas.

Tough position for an interracial couple to be in:

That can't be right can it, and it was from Fox?

So teaching kids they are racist to start with is going to solve things?

Great song from South Pacific You have to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a different shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

In a reverse way that is exactly what is happening. Ive said it before and say it again as a whole liberals are the dumbest people on earth but try telling one how little they know because they are ''educated''

No matter how certain lefty posters on this board (and they know who they are) try to downplay this, it is ubiquitous. Every facet of life has been corrupted by this garbage. And ground zero is the social sciences and humanities departments at our colleges and universities for the last thirty years.
Even that crazy bitch can't stand Libs. "Conservatives are psychologically healthier". All she had to do was look at this forum to figure that one out.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Again, I don't have any answers but I believe it comes down to do we acknowledge and talk about it in a structured setting or do we keep to ourselves and hope eventually we come to a place where everyone is recognized as playing on the same team as Americans.

Oliver just did a piece on Asian Americans and how they get used as the 'model minority' by the majority, which sparks all kinds of dysfunction.

From the feeling that AAPI aren't true blooded Americans, how they are all one group even though there are hundreds of origin distinctions, to the stereotypes and to the hostilities between minority groups as Asians get labeled as the 'model minority' in a 'see blacks and Latinos, asians are quiet, smart and hardworking and they succeed!!'

Without realizing that we've treated asians like ass in this country especially in times of crisis.
We were moving toward a more color-blind society until Obama's terms......since then there has been endless discussion about race, to what good end?

Asians are not big on race grievance but, as you say, they are quiet, smart, and hardworking, and many have experienced great success. Would you prefer they be less successful and concentrate more fully on CRT? If not, what's your point?

Tommy, you're so woke....

When were you complaining about our treatment of Asians before it suddenly became a Democrat talking point ealier this year?

Why do you have to be told what discrimination is?

That can't be right can it, and it was from Fox?

So teaching kids they are racist to start with is going to solve things?

Great song from South Pacific You have to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a different shade,

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

In a reverse way that is exactly what is happening. Ive said it before and say it again as a whole liberals are the dumbest people on earth but try telling one how little they know because they are ''educated''
It's ironic how you can point to the beautiful words of one of our country's greatest lyricists and then end your post by calling people dumb. Maybe you should take a break from here and spend some time listening to Broadway's greatest hits. I would suggest the following:

Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see
And learn

Guide them along the way
Children will glisten
Children will look to you
For which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say
"Listen to me."
Children will listen

That faded as an issue once it became clear that the Asians were in the main being assaulted by AAs....

Nope, it was presented to me in a way that made me reconsider my preconceived learnings, basically from not being aware.

I had no knowledge of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. That definitely wasn't discussed in my schools.

I knew a little about the internment camps during WW2 but not at the disgraceful level of how we rounded up anyone that looked asian, took them away from their homes and property and put them in a concentration camps.

Yeah we don't want to talk about that because what's the point right? That was the past and things are so much better now. Talking about it and understanding it might make grandpa look bad and in turn make me feel bad. Can't have that.

I never heard of the term 'Model Majority' which from a supposed republican perspective makes no sense because racism doesn't exist, were all Americans equal in all of our opportunities.

I have lived through several crises where I got to observe a panic that turned into hate towards asian and pacific Islanders from the early 80's car wars through 9/11 to just this past summer.

So yeah, sorry man, ignoring and/or whitewashing just propagates ignorance and doesn't change anything.

• Haha
Nope, it was presented to me in a way that made me reconsider my preconceived learnings, basically from not being aware.

I had no knowledge of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. That definitely wasn't discussed in my schools.

I knew a little about the internment camps during WW2 but not at the disgraceful level of how we rounded up anyone that looked asian, took them away from their homes and property and put them in a concentration camps.

Yeah we don't want to talk about that because what's the point right? That was the past and things are so much better now. Talking about it and understanding it might make grandpa look bad and in turn make me feel bad. Can't have that.

I never heard of the term 'Model Majority' which from a supposed republican perspective makes no sense because racism doesn't exist, were all Americans equal in all of our opportunities.

I have lived through several crises where I got to observe a panic that turned into hate towards asian and pacific Islanders from the early 80's car wars through 9/11 to just this past summer.

So yeah, sorry man, ignoring and/or whitewashing just propagates ignorance and doesn't change anything.
I am more than happy to talk about it. Like talking about the idea that bad things could happen to your relatives in the past and in this country you can still be a success. And what? That happened to people who are not white? No flipping way. And here is another dirty secret, Asians are performing better than white people on the whole in this country because most of them have decided on an individual level that they can get ahead in this oh so systemically racist country by doing the exact types of things that a whole bunch of other people do not do. You can start with having stable families.

So yes, let's have the talk about the wrong things that were done...all the way back to the 1800's. Then let's look at all of the success in spite of that. Maybe then we can have the real talk on what leads to failure in this country (hint: it is not your race).

Just admit you never said shit about racism against Asians before 2021. And neither did any other leftist on this board.

My God, look at yourself.

What it was supposed to be - and, sadly, I'm starting to come around to the view that it is no longer what it was - was merely an academic paradigm, based on critical theory. Critical theory, in (very) short, posits that social structures are more important than individual motivations when it comes to the arrangement and distribution of power. It offers an explanation for how a society can be, say, male-dominant, even though none of the individual members espouse to be sexists.

Critical race theory was simply supposed to be the application of this paradigm to race and power, specifically within legal structures. In (again, very) short, it basically suggested that the American legal system inherently advantaged white people, and that this was true even if the people who were members of the legal system were not, as individuals, racists.

Unfortunately, since it blew up, it seems to have become something much more than that, and though I've been fighting the good fight on this forum for months, I'm no longer convinced this demon can be put back in the box.

What it was supposed to be - and, sadly, I'm starting to come around to the view that it is no longer what it was - was merely an academic paradigm, based on critical theory. Critical theory, in (very) short, posits that social structures are more important than individual motivations when it comes to the arrangement and distribution of power. It offers an explanation for how a society can be, say, male-dominant, even though none of the individual members espouse to be sexists.

Critical race theory was simply supposed to be the application of this paradigm to race and power, specifically within legal structures. In (again, very) short, it basically suggested that the American legal system inherently advantaged white people, and that this was true even if the people who were members of the legal system were not, as individuals, racists.

Unfortunately, since it blew up, it seems to have become something much more than that, and though I've been fighting the good fight on this forum for months, I'm no longer convinced this demon can be put back in the box.
If you don't mind me asking, what changed your mind on this?

If you don't mind me asking, what changed your mind on this?
I think the implementation of CRT is obviously devastating to the republic. Like Goat I can see the appeal of studying it in an academic sense and philosophical sense at the collegiate level or think tank level. But the implementation has been botched so horribly by pandering “paid experts” and Marxist activists that it needs to die for now and be reborn again anew in its proper form.

if anybody is unconvinced:

I think the implementation of CRT is obviously devastating to the republic. Like Goat I can see the appeal of studying it in an academic sense and philosophical sense at the collegiate level or think tank level. But the implementation has been botched so horribly by pandering “paid experts” and Marxist activists that it needs to die for now and be reborn again anew in its proper form.

Just so.

There is no harm, and indeed some benefit, in discussing and delving into the entire scope of how the country and our institutions developed with racial aspects to the detriment of vast segments. But forcing a lot of Marxist crap down the throat of elementary kids is a worthless exercise.

Just so.

There is no harm, and indeed some benefit, in discussing and delving into the entire scope of how the country and our institutions developed with racial aspects to the detriment of vast segments. But forcing a lot of Marxist crap down the throat of elementary kids is a worthless exercise.
It’s not that it’s even worthless - it’s extremely dangerous.

Critical theory, including critical race theory, is fundamentally Marxist in nature.

As long as slavery is in the top line, I'm not quibbling.

At the time there were battles in congress over the homestead act, over land grant universities, and over the transcontinental railroad. The south opposed all three over state's rights. Many of the southern states issued proclamations when they left, those that did prominently mentioned slavery. None mentioned those other state's rights issues they had been fighting.

The South fought to preserve slavery. The North fought to preserve the Union. The war was about slavery, but was not fought to end it. Politicians who say the CW was fought to end slavery are idiots or liars, or both.

If you look at letters from MW soldiers in the CW, it's clear that the majority were hard-core racists concerning AAs. Much deeper than the soft bigotry of people like Lincoln. But they had tremendous affection for the country. They had tremendous affection of the concept of freedom itself. They just had no interest in dying so that AAs could experience it. The Declaration and the Constitution were then more recent developments and cast a longer shadow then they do today.

The typical Southern soldier viewed it more as 'preserving their way of life' v. 'preserving slavery'. That's hokum, of course, but that was their sentiment, and sentiment is very often more powerful than reality. I'm sure the planter types viewed it more practically as a war for preservation of their wealth. And all Southerners were scared of what would happen if slavery was abolished, however that occurred.

Push came to shove when Lincoln was elected. Everyone understood the truth of his declaration that a house divided upon itself could not stand.......that in the end it had to be all one way or the other. With the new territories becoming states, the old balance of power could not be maintained.

As a white dude, I’ve never felt totally comfortable talking about race, especially how other races should feel about things. Is it too simplistic to say that we should let those impacted react? For example, when Native Americans said that the Redskin mascot was offensive and needed to go, my thought was yeah it should if it offends those folks. I also sided with the Native Americans who said they liked the FSU Seminole mascot and shot down complaints by non Native Americans. It just seems way too paternalistic for me to tell someone how they should feel about something.

Reactions: larsIU
It’s also incredibly unpopular among Americans. So the question is, why is it being foisted upon us by the media, like the New York Times?
Simple, there is a school of thought that runs academia and the journalistic world. Whatever you want policy to be in a generation, indoctrinate the current children in school to those ends. They get everyone's child as a captive audience for 6 or 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 9 months (give or take) of the year. Even as a super involved parent it is hard to tell what they are teaching your child because much of this CRT/SEL/DEI curriculum is not available to you (and they are extremely resistant to sharing it). The aforementioned people want a Marxist type of society. They have trouble convincing adults of this, but if they ingrain it into kids at a young age, well then, in about 20 years they will have mid 20's to 30's voting age adults all ready to be good little CRT revolutionaries.

The revolutions always target the youth. Always.
As a white dude, I’ve never felt totally comfortable talking about race, especially how other races should feel about things. Is it too simplistic to say that we should let those impacted react? For example, when Native Americans said that the Redskin mascot was offensive and needed to go, my thought was yeah it should if it offends those folks. I also sided with the Native Americans who said they liked the FSU Seminole mascot and shot down complaints by non Native Americans. It just seems way too paternalistic for me to tell someone how they should feel about something.
They can feel however they want to feel about stuff. No one is saying they cannot. What they are saying is that they cannot weaponize their feelings against our children.

Simple, there is a school of thought that runs academia and the journalistic world. Whatever you want policy to be in a generation, indoctrinate the current children in school to those ends. They get everyone's child as a captive audience for 6 or 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 9 months (give or take) of the year. Even as a super involved parent it is hard to tell what they are teaching your child because much of this CRT/SEL/DEI curriculum is not available to you (and they are extremely resistant to sharing it). The aforementioned people want a Marxist type of society. They have trouble convincing adults of this, but if they ingrain it into kids at a young age, well then, in about 20 years they will have mid 20's to 30's voting age adults all ready to be good little CRT revolutionaries.

The revolutions always target the youth. Always.

They can feel however they want to feel about stuff. No one is saying they cannot. What they are saying is that they cannot weaponize their feelings against our children.
Agree. Kids should be taught accurate history and be permitted to interpret that themselves. Which is why I always ask my kids “what do you think about that?” It’s critical thinking and encourages independence of thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT