ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Hoosier - Watch: IU Coach Mike Woodson Gives One-on-One from the Golf Course

When was the past interview? 20 yrs ago, 10? Maybe he was playing alot at that time and not now......nice little interview and right away, you calling him a lying bastard because of a previous interview

I like that Cav has the enthusiasm for Woody. It is contagious and it’s actually softened him up. I’m really excited about watching an Indiana guy with an Indiana staff do special things. Now toke up my Btown homies!!!

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I like that Cav has the enthusiasm for Woody. It is contagious and it’s actually softened him up. I’m really excited about watching an Indiana guy with an Indiana staff do special things. Now toke up my Btown homies!!!
In hindsight it should have been done that way 20 years ago. If so done, in foresight 20 years ago it never will have taken that long.

Even with a bad swing, he could have an outstanding short game and score well.
Hard to score well if that worm burner was his normal or average iron shot.

I'm still trying to figure out how he hit a group on the tee box behind him. I think I heard that right.

You mean.....like this??

Couldn't stop laughing at that. Classic Knight. It's a game, but he's so competitive it just infuriates him when he's not good at it. He was always known for his creative uses of the f-word, with some good demonstrations in this video. I think he once told a reporter how many different ways the f word could be used. At some point though, the impact of the profanity/anger has to have diminishing returns as in this case where it quickly descends into laughable. I suspect if someone told Knight how unintentionally funny he was with this, he'd probably throw the person across a basketball court or something. Great coach, but he always had an anger management issue.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Couldn't stop laughing at that. Classic Knight. It's a game, but he's so competitive it just infuriates him when he's not good at it. He was always known for his creative uses of the f-word, with some good demonstrations in this video. I think he once told a reporter how many different ways the f word could be used. At some point though, the impact of the profanity/anger has to have diminishing returns as in this case where it quickly descends into laughable. I suspect if someone told Knight how unintentionally funny he was with this, he'd probably throw the person across a basketball court or something. Great coach, but he always had an anger management issue.
yeah if you watch the last 45 seconds or so (start at the 9:00 mark), you can actually see him battling the demons in his head as he was about to start killing people.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

His anger, was a big part of his success. Everything about him lead to that success. I love it because it shows how styles that would be unthinkable today because of the PC world we live in, with out question produced results. You cannot argue with the results.

Hard to score well if that worm burner was his normal or average iron shot.

I'm still trying to figure out how he hit a group on the tee box behind him. I think I heard that right.
I pictured Allen on a tee box behind the green and Woody over shot.

That makes sense. We've all hit it a few grooves too low and launched one. I pictured something off the toe of an open face or a carom off a tree.
I was thinking a tree. I played a 400 yr par 4 one time and for my second shot, I was actually 420 yrs from the pin (yes net -20 off the tee).....tried to hit a draw with my driver against a fairway lined with trees to the right....hit the 3rd tree dead center, ball shot backwards and rolled past me in the wrong direction. Uttered some words similar to the RMK video. Hit one helluva 3 wood for my second shot, managed to bogey the hole.

Gym rats squeak in limited lockerroom lingo.

His anger, was a big part of his success. Everything about him lead to that success. I love it because it shows how styles that would be unthinkable today because of the PC world we live in, with out question produced results. You cannot argue with the results.
Not sure it was working so well for him at the end of his IU tenure or at TT. Some folks just have a time period when they are supposed to live their lives and can succeed in that time period but then struggle when times change. As great a coach as Knight was, a lot of folks were wondering if the game had passed him by and if his techniques didn't burn teams out by the ends of seasons (hence the one and dones in the NCAA tournament for several years against teams with inferior talent).

I still think technically he was perhaps the greatest coach at preparing for an opposing team with schemes and strategy. But motivationally perhaps, not absolutely sure, players later on just tuned out his anger rather than respond to it. I'm sure no player would laugh at him (ever see Joe Pesci "do you think I'm amusing" scene in Goodfellas) but I've got to believe some players just didn't or don't respond to this. He even said in his book Bob Knight My Story, that players like Jay Edwards didn't respond how he wanted them to. Alford, in a video, said Knight always wanted a player to be the best he could be but the players didn't want it as bad as Knight did. Did Knight adjust? It never looked like it to me. What did seem apparent was the pool of really good players that would seek out and respond to that kind of coaching was diminishing and today, I suspect, is almost non-existent. Is that a good thing? I don't know but I think there is a very fine line between hard coaching and abuse (in hindsight I was coached by a guy that crossed that line in my opinion) and the negative coaching which Knight also wrote a book about, isn't to attractive to kids who want to improve and not be brought down emotionally while doing it.

While Knight was certainly highly successful doing what he did, could he have been even more successful if he was a bit more judicious in his use of anger and negativity? Would those occasions when he used it have been even more impactful? Could Knight have won six NCAA tournaments instead of three? Coach K doesn't use that style and he has been much more successful than Knight.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Woody has a presence that we have not seen in 20 years. He is very comfortable in his position. Loved seeing him with that cigar. He is a lying bastard tho, said he was a 85-100 golfer in a past interview. He looks like he would shoot a 150.
Killing me Cav: That one chip shot they showed killed a bunch of worms and maybe people too if they were standing too close. LMAO! Nice post. Agree with comfortable. I love it.

Last edited:
Followed Knight at the IU course once while in summer school (84). He sliced it deep into the woods on 10 off the tee (old course). Had a few choice words. Everyone playing with him tried to tell him he just missed it. We (my foursome) were laughing so hard he noticed. He asked us what we thought and my friend said mulligan coach. He smiled and hit a second in the exact same spot. He just walked away cussing. We all blasted our tee shots and he noticed that too. Said hell I should be playing with you guys. Made our day. Go Hoosiers!

Followed Knight at the IU course once while in summer school (84). He sliced it deep into the woods on 10 off the tee (old course). Had a few choice words. Everyone playing with him tried to tell him he just missed it. We (my foursome) were laughing so hard he noticed. He asked us what we thought and my friend said mulligan coach. He smiled and hit a second in the exact same spot. He just walked away cussing. We all blasted our tee shots and he noticed that too. Said hell I should be playing with you guys. Made our day. Go Hoosiers!

Now that’s a memory!

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Not sure it was working so well for him at the end of his IU tenure or at TT. Some folks just have a time period when they are supposed to live their lives and can succeed in that time period but then struggle when times change. As great a coach as Knight was, a lot of folks were wondering if the game had passed him by and if his techniques didn't burn teams out by the ends of seasons (hence the one and dones in the NCAA tournament for several years against teams with inferior talent).

I still think technically he was perhaps the greatest coach at preparing for an opposing team with schemes and strategy. But motivationally perhaps, not absolutely sure, players later on just tuned out his anger rather than respond to it. I'm sure no player would laugh at him (ever see Joe Pesci "do you think I'm amusing" scene in Goodfellas) but I've got to believe some players just didn't or don't respond to this. He even said in his book Bob Knight My Story, that players like Jay Edwards didn't respond how he wanted them to. Alford, in a video, said Knight always wanted a player to be the best he could be but the players didn't want it as bad as Knight did. Did Knight adjust? It never looked like it to me. What did seem apparent was the pool of really good players that would seek out and respond to that kind of coaching was diminishing and today, I suspect, is almost non-existent. Is that a good thing? I don't know but I think there is a very fine line between hard coaching and abuse (in hindsight I was coached by a guy that crossed that line in my opinion) and the negative coaching which Knight also wrote a book about, isn't to attractive to kids who want to improve and not be brought down emotionally while doing it.

While Knight was certainly highly successful doing what he did, could he have been even more successful if he was a bit more judicious in his use of anger and negativity? Would those occasions when he used it have been even more impactful? Could Knight have won six NCAA tournaments instead of three? Coach K doesn't use that style and he has been much more successful than Knight.
RMK was a man for a certain time and he was the best in that time. I think one thing, commenting later as adults we see things differently than 18. He may have won 6,7,8 if not for injuries while still only having one great NBA player, just think Isiah stays and Landon isn't injured? Hell even after that 2 yrs later if Kitch doesn't get hurt. Every team has injuries but IU had more. 75 really isnt even a question, Henderson doesnt get hurt odds were good, hell refs in Duke game. I think Jay was likely his biggest coaching failure, Bird wasnt there long enough and he likely was better off but to me Jay Edwards was the biggest what could have been . That guy just had a different vibe. Wonder if he had Quinn on his team? In the Knight era Jay was the best player after Isiah and it isn't even close. Larry bird was always going to be Larry , Jay ? That 1989 was a favorite team and really one of the least talented, Who did they have besides Edwards? He was just so cool and a killer out there . We all loved Steve , Jay was just different and not really a leader . Alford has his shot Bird had his , but Jay Edwards shot was just so great . If he had the same dediaction and same and same time frame he makes Steph Curry look like just another guy in my opinion. Different times for sure and you cant change everything but to me Edwards is Knights biggest failure as a coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT