ADVERTISEMENT

D1baseball.com's projected field of 64 as of 5/15/18.....

That slide really cost us. From probable host to 3 in a tough regional. Just gotta keep winning now.

That slide really cost us. From probable host to 3 in a tough regional. Just gotta keep winning now.
Sweeping Maryland while having a strong showing in the B1G tournament can change all of that, although it's a foregone conclusion that we played our way out of hosting a regional.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
They have us as a 3-seed in the Clemson Regional. They have Illinois in the last five in, while Mich, PU and Iowa are in their first five out.

https://d1baseball.com/projections/projected-field-of-64-may-15/

Another dismal loss today and we may find ourselves on the outside looking in at the NCAA tournament. While that is probably not going to happen, I don't see IU being a threat to anyone.

For all the talent that we have, this team has shown little ability to come up big when needed. The hitters don't make adjustments, we continue to make errors at key times and the relief pitching has become suspect in recent weeks.

This is a disappointing way to head into the NCAAs (if we make it), but not really surprising given that the entire season has been something of a disappointment. Unfortunately, this has become a pattern under Lemonis - some good early wins, beating up on subpar teams and limping home.

I'm honestly not sure they get in at all.

Not really sure they deserve to get in. Losing to a BAD MSU team is not a great look, especially when Purdue and Michigan are likely to be playing into the weekend.

Doesn't really matter much. They way they have played much of the last month, they'd likely be two-and-out anyway.

As I post this, IU pulled that game out against MSU. Even if we lost that game, I'm fairly confident we would have been in the NCAAs because of the RPI factor. Mich and PU will both be sweating it out because of their borderline RPIs unless one of them wins the tournament, at least that's my opinion.

PUR's at 31 (IND's at 24 by comparison). I think PUR is safe. MICH's more dicey at 54. ILL and OSU both have better RPIs than MICH.

With MSU at 189, losing to them would've put us in the NIT. Oh, wait, they don't have that in baseball. . . :D

It's one of those thankless games where a loss does more damage than a win helps. We're likely safe now because we didn't lose to Sparty, whereas had we lost we'd be in some degree of trouble.

PUR's at 31 (IND's at 24 by comparison). I think PUR is safe. MICH's more dicey at 54. ILL and OSU both have better RPIs than MICH.

With MSU at 189, losing to them would've put us in the NIT. Oh, wait, they don't have that in baseball. . . :D

It's one of those thankless games where a loss does more damage than a win helps. We're likely safe now because we didn't lose to Sparty, whereas had we lost we'd be in some degree of trouble.
We'll never know how a loss to MSU would have affected things, but I still think we would have been in regardless, but that's all moot now. I hadn't looked at the RPIs in the last couple of days, so I didn't know that the Purdue was up in the 30s now, so I would agree they have a decent chance. Mich played a soft conference schedule and didn't fare well early on in the nonconference part of their schedule, so they may have to win the tournament.

We'll never know how a loss to MSU would have affected things, but I still think we would have been in regardless, but that's all moot now. I hadn't looked at the RPIs in the last couple of days, so I didn't know that the Purdue was up in the 30s now, so I would agree they have a decent chance. Mich played a soft conference schedule and didn't fare well early on in the nonconference part of their schedule, so they may have to win the tournament.

Decent chance? I think Purdue is a shoe in especially after their win tonight. I think they were a shoe in before that but they’re a lock now.

Decent chance? I think Purdue is a shoe in especially after their win tonight. I think they were a shoe in before that but they’re a lock now.
I see things through cream and crimson colored glasses, while you see things through black and gold colored glasses, which in my opinion are a little more opaque. The Boilers were not a lock before the tournament, and while I will agree that they probably are in now, you have to remember that the B1G doesn't get the same respect as the other sunbelt/west coast conferences, and they usually don't get more than two or three teams in the NCAAs. They may get four teams in this year, and I don't include Mich in that number. Both Mich and Purdue did not win any series during the conference season against the upper echelon teams, with the exception of the Boilers that swept a suspect Mich team that was in the upper echelon win-wise because of their schedule being dominated by the worst teams in the conference. I give the Boilers credit for taking care of business up to this point.

The entire league depends on the Hoosiers for quality wins. We play an RPI schedule in non conference.
We play that schedule because southern and west coast teams benefit by playing us too.
At the moment few other BIG teams have that kind of influence.
If you take wins against us out many don’t get in.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT