ADVERTISEMENT

D Green

Oh yeah I've given up on him being a point guard you can trust which is why I've been so pleasantly surprised to see Archie playing them together.

We still have the steady hand of Rob while being able to take advantage of Green's creativity as a combo guard.

I made a comment to myself during the end of the first half when those five we're playing together and absolutely anhiliating them that I wouldn't be surprised if this is Archie's 'winning' time lineup.

Offensively and defensively they completely dominated as a unit (which is how you want to use plus/minus, as a total group level).

Montana started the half with 19 and I still think they were at 19 when that fivesome started getting subbed out around the 14 minute mark.

The Green backlash is strong on every site I go to. He's the new Newkirk this year.
Greens defense was really good. People will see what they are looking for and they want to compare players instead of seeing the attrbutes of both.
Was he fine last year?
He was Devonte. Good or bad is up to you. I and apparently Archie also based on p.t. felt like he was contributing to what IU was trying to do. I definitely saw improvement in his second game, and was glad to hear Fitzner talking about how Devonte welcomed him to Indiana.

Reactions: TommyCracker
As soon as Green came into game against Montana state we went on like a 4 minute scoring drought where all we did was pop threes instead of attacking basket. Our shooting % probably lowered 50%, we couldnt miss inside it seemed. I hate to even mention his namd next to Archies coaching but it looked so eerily similar to Crean era it was disgusting.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
As soon as Green came into game against Montana state we went on like a 4 minute scoring drought where all we did was pop threes instead of attacking basket. Our shooting % probably lowered 50%, we couldnt miss inside it seemed. I hate to even mention his namd next to Archies coaching but it looked so eerily similar to Crean era it was disgusting.

Everyone is dumber for having read your post. How exactly was that DG's fault as opposed to the other four Players on the court? Did he shoot all those threes? No. Apart from an off shooting night DG had a solid game - good defense, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals and his 3 TOs came off being unable to handle a hot pass on the baseline delivered by Juwan from the top of the key, an offensive foul on the baseline, and a lead pass to Juwan cutting to the rim that was just out of reach and went out of bounds, the latter being the only time he 'threw away' the the ball in 23 minutes of play whereupon he stole it back at mid-court five seconds later.

Go back and watch the game again and try and pay attention. Juwan saved three of what should have been TOs on bad entry passes from teammates on account of having such good hands and none of them were thrown by DG. If Devonte was guilty of anything it was slacking off his corner assignment on defense a bit much - a better shooter with a hot hand would have burned him more than the one time.

Teams run hot and cool all the time. Laying a four-minute lapse at DG's feet without any qualification is just ignorant.

Last edited:
Everyone is dumber for having read your post. How exactly was that DG's fault as opposed to the other four Players on the court? Did he shoot all those threes? No. Apart from an off shooting night DG had a solid game - good defense, 5 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals and his 3 TOs came off being unable to handle a hot pass on the baseline delivered by Juwan from the top of the key, an offensive foul on the baseline, and a lead pass to Juwan cutting to the rim that was just out of reach and went out of bounds, the latter being the only time he 'threw away' the the ball in 23 minutes of play whereupon he stole the it back at mid-court five seconds later.

Go back and watch the game again and try and pay attention. Juwan saved three of what should have been TOs on bad entry passes from teammates on account of having such good hands and none of them were thrown by DG. If Devonte was guilty of anything it was slacking off his corner assignment on defense a bit much - a better shooter with a hot hand would have burned him more than the one time.

Teams run hot and cool all the time. Laying a four-minute lapse at DG's feet without any qualification is just ignorant.

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was losing my mind. Prior to this thread I thought Green played better Friday night than he did the first game. The ball didn’t stick in his hands, he didn’t take any bad shots, played solid defense, had several assists and he didn’t have any terrible turnovers (which he is prone to have). I also liked the lineup of Green, Rob, and Romeo on the court at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: echs86 and Frosty83

The offense and energy itself literally went from positive to negative the moment Green came in.
Ill continue to hope the best for Green. But its year 3 and his "potential" ive heard about for past 3 years has grown old. Id rather see Johnny Jager see his minutes to be honest.

I also liked lineup of Green, Rob, and Romeo on the court at the same time

Georgia Bulldogs could always use more fans

Id rather see Johnny Jager see his minutes to be honest.

Says everything anyone needs to know about your acumen. You think JJ ever sees let alone makes that alley-oop pass to Romeo? Grateful that Archie is making the calls regarding energy and Team chemistry and the like rather than you - just "to be honest".

How exactly was that DG's fault as opposed to the other four Players on the court?
Maybe it has something to do with trends compiled from watching him play for two years + previous to that game? Like maybe he's had TO problems, isn't in the flow of the game, takes dumb shots, screws around on the dribble with no real purpose and loses his man on defense often? Ya know, if he's shown to be apt to do those things in the past... has he?

Or is it just a series of circumstance that he has a high career TO ratio? Maybe every TO he's ever had was a fluke or the other guys fault? Sure a lot of circumstances.though.

He had, for him, a good first half. stayed mostly in control, and his on the ball defense has improved. His off the ball not so much, still gets lost. Offensively? Meh ..... this system just doesn't fit him. He's just not a point guard (the inherent awareness and basketball IQ needed can't be taught and he doesn't have it) and he probably can't play extensive minutes at wing like some of you want. Arch and the packline hate short armed 6'3 wings, especially ones with poor awareness and positioning, unless of course you have a 6'5 PG who can slide over or enjoy getting burnt by 3s.. He is, if he was more focused on the defensive end, quick enough to overcome his stature but like everything so far with Devonte, potential and results are not the same.

Hope he gets it soon .. just not seeing any signs of improvement, at least nothing glaring. He's being hurt by his own potential, he has in him the ability to take over games and be unstoppable at times. So expectations of his promise were raised by his rare good moments. He's not meeting them... maybe the good moments are the real fluke?

Last edited:
Maybe it has something to do with trends compiled from watching him play for two years + previous to that game? Like maybe he's had TO problems, isn't in the flow of the game, takes dumb shots, screws around on the dribble with no real purpose and loses his man on defense often? Ya know, if he's shown to be apt to do those things in the past... has he?

Or is it just a series of circumstance that he has a high career TO ratio? Maybe every TO he's ever had was a fluke or the other guys fault? Sure a lot of circumstances.though.

He had, for him, a good first half. stayed mostly in control, and his on the ball defense has improved. His off the ball not so much, still gets lost. Offensively? Meh ..... this system just doesn't fit him. He's just not a point guard (the inherent awareness and basketball IQ needed can't be taught and he doesn't have it) and he probably can't play extensive minutes at wing like some of you want. Arch and the packline hate short armed 6'3 wings, especially ones with poor awareness and positioning, unless of course you have a 6'5 PG who can slide over or enjoy getting burnt by 3s.. He is, if he was more focused on the defensive end, quick enough to overcome his stature but like everything so far with Devonte, potential and results are not the same.

Hope he gets it soon .. just not seeing any signs of improvement, at least nothing glaring. He's being hurt by his own potential, he has in him the ability to take over games and be unstoppable at times. So expectations of his promise were raised by his rare good moments. He's not meeting them... maybe the good moments are the real fluke?

And maybe the lapse had nothing to do with any of that, maybe it just happened - hardly as if guys missing a few decent looks in a row is unprecedented.

Could be DG isn't cut out for and never will be a point guard per se - 'combo' or shooting guard status might suit his skill set/mentality better, I really don't care as long as his contributions are positive and far outweigh the negatives. And that was the point - he had a solid if not spectacular game, but did nothing within the game to merit the unqualified dismissal of his play. It's not last Season, and although he's yet to perform at a level worthy of being anointed or some such, he hasn't done anything to deserve contempt from those claiming to be IU fans.

In a way it's as much if not more about having 'faith' in Archie than Devonte. It's frustrating because his potential is obvious, but as long as Archie plays him, as a starter, sixth man or whatever, have to believe that it's because he believes Devonte will get it done, more so since it's not as if he no longer has other options.

A season is a process, not a couple of games. I happen to think it's a lot more realistic that Devonte will be there contributing at the end rather than an afterthought or the last option off the bench. I also happen to believe that when it gets to tournament time, that IU's 'ceiling' is a lot higher with than without Devonte provided he can show some mildly "glaring" signs of improvement.

And maybe the lapse had nothing to do with any of that, maybe it just happened - hardly as if guys missing a few decent looks in a row is unprecedented.

Could be DG isn't cut out for and never will be a point guard per se - 'combo' or shooting guard status might suit his skill set/mentality better, I really don't care as long as his contributions are positive and far outweigh the negatives. And that was the point - he had a solid if not spectacular game, but did nothing within the game to merit the unqualified dismissal of his play. It's not last Season, and although he's yet to perform at a level worthy of being anointed or some such, he hasn't done anything to deserve contempt from those claiming to be IU fans.

In a way it's as much if not more about having 'faith' in Archie than Devonte. It's frustrating because his potential is obvious, but as long as Archie plays him, as a starter, sixth man or whatever, have to believe that it's because he believes Devonte will get it done, more so since it's not as if he no longer has other options.

A season is a process, not a couple of games. I happen to think it's a lot more realistic that Devonte will be there contributing at the end rather than an afterthought or the last option off the bench. I also happen to believe that when it gets to tournament time, that IU's 'ceiling' is a lot higher with than without Devonte provided he can show some mildly "glaring" signs of improvement.
Devonte Green is suited for a backup 2 guard role behind Romeo.

Reactions: T.M.P. and ufo33
After reading through the message board rule book. You are able to point out how dumb and terrible a player is after game 10. Troy Williams was a really good player for IU. I’m looking forward to the your next post calling another IU player dumb.

Troy was a "good" player for IU at times... The problem was he had the potential to be great. He also turned the ball over way too much, especially since he played alongside Yogi. He was also uneven and often disinterested on D where he should have been a monster with his quickness, length and athleticism.

so interesting that this board thinks they know more than Coach Miller, when he sees him every day in the gym, and said many times over the summer, that Devonte has embraced the leadership and the role that is expected of him. You do realize that he is playing with a deep thigh bruise that is still healing. He may be healthy enough to play, but that doesn't mean he isn't still feeling the effects. Also, give me a kid like Devonte any day of the week that isn't afraid of the moment, and wants to be the guy to hit the HR!! Go back and watch the ND game from last year, it was Devonte who hit the clutch three in OT, and actually made two FTs at the end of the game to seal it.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Everyone has their preference, I prefer no turnovers and valuing the ball over reckless turnovers and 10 dribbles thru the legs and off the foot. I much prefer the .330 singles hitter over the .100 hitter who hits the occasional HR. A deep thigh bruise does make the brain make poor decisions with the ball. I prefer a Bronson Keonig or Jordan Hulls at PG, less athletic but better control of the game and the pace of the team's play. I liked Bo Ryan's turnover rule, you make a turnover, you sit. Then you think about that turnover and come back in knowing that if you turn it over again, you will sit longer next time. Putting a premium on valuing the ball. Bo Ryan with that style of play owned Tom Crean and his reckless, occasional HR producing, but excessively high turnover style. Hopefully Archie strikes a balance between the two, leaning toward far less turnovers. IU has other players now more capable of taking the last shot with a lesser risk of making a poor decision with the ball. One of the best skills Devonte has is FT shooting, which is valuable in a close game, if only he took better care of the ball. Last game I saw improvement, it's a long season, so I'm hopeful for continued improvement.

Last edited:
I think DG is an adequate-or-better emergency pg. Probably a good or very good backup for RL. Fortunately we've got at least two pretty good or great PG's so RL doesn't have to play point since we don't want to put him where they can wear him down and DG doesn't have to play a lot of point because he's likely better at shooting guard.

I thought Green played more under control Friday. There were a few times that I would have expected him to shoot, but he passed it up.

He can play an important part of the team as the third guard or first guard off the bench. We need him this year and especially next year after Romeo is gone. We need to stop trying to make him a PG.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Green has the quickness to excel at PG. I like that he can get his own shot and be a disruptive defender, but it comes down to decision making. Also, he needs to shore up his ball handling because he is too loose at times. RP will continue pushing him so he will have to improve.

Reactions: echs86
Green has the quickness to excel at PG. I like that he can get his own shot and be a disruptive defender, but it comes down to decision making. Also, he needs to shore up his ball handling because he is too loose at times. RP will continue pushing him so he will have to improve.
Similar to baseball, just because you can throw hard does not make you a pitcher. As a Junior in college it is getting too late to teach someone how to be a smart PG. Backup Combo guard is likely Devonte's role this season. Phinesee is the better PG.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Similar to baseball, just because you can throw hard does not make you a pitcher. As a Junior in college it is getting too late to teach someone how to be a smart PG. Backup Combo guard is likely Devonte's role this season. Phinesee is the better PG.

It’s definitely not too late. Tyshawn Taylor turned the ball over well into his junior year.

There were a few times that I would have expected him to shoot, but he passed it up.

L O L WHEN???
He came in and immediately started running and gunning up quick shots that looked exactly like Crean was still coaching.

RP looks great under first two games ive seen from him. Potentially most solid player on team with time\& if Romeo leaves next year

RP should be starter mins and its not even close

So I went back and in my best Tom Crean 'watched the tape'.

The lineup of Rob, Romeo, Green, Smith and Morgan played 7 minutes together.

They beat Montana State 19-2.

Extrapolated over 40 minutes that would have been a 108-11 ass whuppin.

All five contributed on BOTH ends. It looked like they were rotating really well in the packline.

Take those 7 minutes out and we still outscored MS 61-33. Extrapolate that out to 40 minutes and it's still an impressive 74-40 beating.

The starting lineup of Rob, Romeo, McBob, Smith and Morgan played around 6 minutes. They went 14-7.

So s#$t on Green all you want. For this game that small lineup with him was by far the most dominant.

Oh and those two points they gave up...they came from a technical that Smith drew for locking his arm with the offensive player.

All five contributed on BOTH ends. It looked like they were rotating really well in the packline.

Take those 7 minutes out and we still outscored MS 61-33. Extrapolate that out to 40 minutes and it's still an impressive 74-40 beating.

The starting lineup of Rob, Romeo, McBob, Smith and Morgan played around 6 minutes. They went 14-7.

So s#$t on Green all you want. For this game that small lineup with him was by far the most dominant.

Oh and those two points they gave up...they came from a technical that Smith drew for locking his arm with the offensive player.

Impressive. Would bet it doesn't even make a dent...

I wasnt referring to "3 guard lineup " when mentioning Crean...I was referring to reckless run and gun 3 point crean era that started at about ten min mark first half with Green.
That 3 point shooting drought with Green lasted about 4 mins.

Im not tryin to $hit on Green, but it was so obvious how bad the team performed as soon as Green came in. Maybe coincidence, but still a fact.

Im not tryin to $hit on Green, but it was so obvious how bad the team performed as soon as Green came in. Maybe coincidence, but still a fact.

Told you - not even a dent.

I wasnt referring to "3 guard lineup " when mentioning Crean...I was referring to reckless run and gun 3 point crean era that started at about ten min mark first half with Green.

Told you - not even a dent.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Green's defense has been good this season, Green can guard Howard with more size and nearly equal quickness.

Reactions: Frosty83
L O L WHEN???
He came in and immediately started running and gunning up quick shots that looked exactly like Crean was still coaching.

RP looks great under first two games ive seen from him. Potentially most solid player on team with time\& if Romeo leaves next year

RP should be starter mins and its not even close
His first game looked the same as last year. Friday was different. I would expect the staff did point that out because he did pass up shots I would have expected him to take last year.

It remains to be seen how long he will last. I don't want him to stop looking to score. He needs to learn when to take those shots.

Reactions: Frosty83
Oh yeah I've given up on him being a point guard you can trust which is why I've been so pleasantly surprised to see Archie playing them together.

We still have the steady hand of Rob while being able to take advantage of Green's creativity as a combo guard.

I made a comment to myself during the end of the first half when those five we're playing together and absolutely anhiliating them that I wouldn't be surprised if this is Archie's 'winning' time lineup.

Offensively and defensively they completely dominated as a unit (which is how you want to use plus/minus, as a total group level).

Montana started the half with 19 and I still think they were at 19 when that fivesome started getting subbed out around the 14 minute mark.

The Green backlash is strong on every site I go to. He's the new Newkirk this year.
Green is the new Newkirk this year because he is the Crean era player still excessively turning the ball over. Turnover Tom's legacy at IU was having IU near the worst in the country in turnovers. Until Crean's turnover legacy is purged, it will remain a punching bag until it improves. Turnovers suck! Low BB IQ results in unforced turnovers.

Last edited:
I wouldn't classify DG already. His first game was just that, his first game. I definitely noticed his leg bothering him in the second game.

For a team like Marquette I think we will need to be out on their guards and it will take great defense from all four of our guards. I don't think Damezi can hang with Marquette wing players but we will see.

Hope DG, Al, and Zach are all available tomorrow night.

I get it but I didn't think it was as bad. I just noticed how much of a groove we got into with the small lineup of Rob, Green, Romeo, Smith and Morgan.

Then to bring it home that was the lineup that started the second half and again just dominated.

Maybe it's the spacing with three guards? Maybe it's the speed and strength? Maybe it's a lineup that let's everyone kindof do their thing (Morgan ruled the post. Smith had space to slash and came alive during those two periods).

Maybe it was just the best lineup to kill a s#$t team. We'll see going forward.

I just disagree with the flogging of Green so far.

Last edited:
Impressive. Would bet it doesn't even make a dent...

Thanks.

This is common on every board I browse. Everyone is demanding that we shoot Green into the sun.

I just find it odd because that small lineup that he played a part of was so insanely dominant.

I could see it if we sucked when he was in. I think he had an individual plus minus of 28 or 23. It was the 4th highest (top five was....wait for it .... Morgan, Phinesse, Romeo, Green and Smith. Whut!!??)

Disclaimer before TMP deservingly rips my ass. Plus/Minus is a flawed stat at the individual level. It's a really good stat at the group level.

Which was what I wanted to point out.

I wouldn't classify DG already. His first game was just that, his first game. I definitely noticed his leg bothering him in the second game.

For a team like Marquette I think we will need to be out on their guards and it will take great defense from all four of our guards. I don't think Damezi can hang with Marquette wing players but we will see.

Yeah everyone might get their wish tomorrow.

No Green, No McRoberts (plus no Hunter or Race).

Green is the new Newkirk this year because he is the Crean era player still excessively turning the ball over. Turnover Tom's legacy at IU was having IU near the worst in the country in turnovers. Until Crean's turnover legacy is purged, it will remain a punching bag until it improves. Turnovers suck! Low BB IQ results in unforced turnovers.

I get it but on the flip side is no one can make the entry passes that Green can. Plus Green gives us another scorer who can multiple ways (outside shooting, driving, mid range).

Plus he and Fitzner are the two best free throw shooters (which is nice to have at least one on the floor).

Newkirk didn't give you any of that IMO, so at least we get some value from Green.

He reminds me of Jeff George vs Jack Trudeau back in the day. George had the skills to make plays that no one could and move the ball. Trudeau could dink and dunk, maybe get you a couple of first downs and manage the clock. Both sucked for the Colts.

However when George had talent around him (99 Vikings with Carter and Moss) he was awesome. Still the same qb, but you took advantage of his play making abilities because he had a great line, great receivers, under rated runner in Robert Smith and a good defense.

Yes I know that's a dumb comparison.

Maybe Javier Baez is a better one? Lol

Reactions: iubud
Thanks.

This is common on every board I browse. Everyone is demanding that we shoot Green into the sun.

I just find it odd because that small lineup that he played a part of was so insanely dominant.

I could see it if we sucked when he was in. I think he had an individual plus minus of 28 or 23. It was the 4th highest (top five was....wait for it .... Morgan, Phinesse, Romeo, Green and Smith. Whut!!??)

Disclaimer before TMP deservingly rips my ass. Plus/Minus is a flawed stat at the individual level. It's a really good stat at the group level.

lol ... I would never do that, I enjoy talking ball with you .. it has its uses, but you really need other stats to validate it, there's just too many variables associated with +/- that as a stand alone it's practically worthless. It basically ignores the other lineup. There's a huge difference between playing against five Josh Newkirks and five Michael Jordans... but +/- doesn't account for it. It's almost if +/- believes all opponents lineups are the same cardboard cutout and they can't move..

fwiw - I don't think we should get rid of him I just think Arch is trying to make a frog fly. Devonte is a scoring combo, not a point. I think Arch should come to that realization, and not only bench him but give him the green (pun unintended) light to create for himself instead of trying to make him create for others or run a team. Frogs can't fly, if they try they usually just splat .. they can though jump. Free the frog, let him jump, and quit trying to make him a bird. lol ..

He doesn't even need to bench him, we can still have him guard other PG, and play him off the point on offense, as long as someone else has the keys (Romeo) to the team and in certain matchups - against smaller slower wings - use him at 2 with Phin. .

I just don't trust him with the team or ball in his hands. Nothing personal, just a no confidence vote.

Last edited:
Green's defense has been good. McRoberts D has also been good. Race and Hunter should be consistent contributors when healthy. Down 4 players vs the 1st true good comp test of the season will make the task tougher vs a Top 25 Marquette team.

I agree with Damezi but I see the effort defensively. I saw a difference in the second game. I could see him quickly develop as a really good player. He is going to get a chance to play some key minutes with Hunter out and McBob banged up.

Thanks.

Green is not Newkirk as someone mentioned. Newkirk was supposed to be a PG except he couldn't do the things you need from a PG. Green was forced to play PG when all other options fell through.

Green can feed the post and get the ball out front to a breaking person on the fast break. His problem is with knowing when the window of opportunity to make the play is closing. He forces a few too many passes and shoots the ball when there are better opportunities available. I believe he can improve playing and practicing with Romeo and Phinisee instead of learning from Rojo and Newkirk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT