ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 Transfer Rules May Change

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
By Joseph Zucker, NCAA

The NCAA working group is proposing a change to Division-1 transfers for immediate one-time eligibility [ w/o sitting out a year as currently is the rule] The group is hopeful of finalizing it's plan for the 2020-2021 academic year.

There are 4 criteria to be met:
1] Receive a transfer release from their previous school.

2] Leave their previous school academically eligible.

3] Maintain their academic progress at the new school.

4] Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

Have at it fellas/ladies

Last edited:
1. essentially gives a veto to the current school. Not sure I like that. It's sure not fair to the athlete.
Right, I can't see the previous school vetoing a partition of release due to the popularity that this program will achieve across the country & the school's resultant negative flak.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Right, I can't see the previous school vetoing a partition of release due to the popularity that this program will achieve across the country & the school's resultant negative flak.
Good point. If a school gets a reputation for keeping them from transferring, that could hurt recruitment in bringing them there in the fist place.

By Joseph Zucker, NCAA

The NCAA working group is proposing a change to Division-1 transfers for immediate one-time eligibility [ w/o sitting out a year as currently is the rule] The group is hopeful of finalizing it's plan for the 2020-2021 academic year.

There are 4 criteria to be met:
1] Receive a transfer release from their previous school.

2] Leave their previous school academically eligible.

3] Maintain their academic progress at the new school.

4] Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

Have at it fellas/ladies
I'm for it, IF they enforce the same rules on the coaches! If coaches and administrators can leave freely, then so should student athletes be able to as well.

The transferring group is concerned with the possible problem of other coaches potentially tampering with currently enrolled student-athletes...still to be worked out.

I want to see fairness to all involved. What I dont want to see is this stuff turn out so that the Big Boys can use schools like IU as their minor league.
Just when a player gets to be an upper classman, then he is poached or brought up to the Big Leagues. I still get ticked when I think about Meat Chicken and tO$U hoarding players like they use to before the current scholarship limits. The Big Boys have enough of an advantage the way it is.

I want to see fairness to all involved. What I dont want to see is this stuff turn out so that the Big Boys can use schools like IU as their minor league.
Just when a player gets to be an upper classman, then he is poached or brought up to the Big Leagues. I still get ticked when I think about Meat Chicken and tO$U hoarding players like they use to before the current scholarship limits. The Big Boys have enough of an advantage the way it is.
I remember what a shock it was when we lost linebacker John Kerr to Ohio State. He had been a leader on the team and considered as a team spokesman after each game.

I remember what a shock it was when we lost linebacker John Kerr to Ohio State. He had been a leader on the team and considered as a team spokesman after each game.
Yeah, he went from full-time starter and leader.

I've got to think it was mainly homesickness.

Give the schools no control over transfers and you will have more new lawyers/agents representing schools with rich, powerful and out of control booster groups actively raiding developmental programs (non blue bloods) and that 2-3 star player who blossoms as a redshirt freshman or sophomore at a needy position of a blue blood program will be out the door faster than you can finish spelling “Supercalafraga . . “

Right. Probably this will end up being a 2-way road going both ways. Players doing well at lower level could move up & players stuck at major programs, not getting playing opportunities could move down to show their talents.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 82IU

If I recall, there was some conflict with him & the coaching staff. Not sure if it was Dinardo or a position coach. He also really wanted to play for OSU as an Ohio kid. Hated to see him leave and then to get stuck behind some great linebackers and never really seeing the field. Plus I think there was a PED issue that cost him another year.

If I recall, there was some conflict with him & the coaching staff. Not sure if it was Dinardo or a position coach. He also really wanted to play for OSU as an Ohio kid. Hated to see him leave and then to get stuck behind some great linebackers and never really seeing the field. Plus I think there was a PED issue that cost him another year.

I definitely remember that he wasn't happy with either someone on the coaching staff or about how the program was being run... maybe both. I recall that he implied that later in an interview while at OSU and also stating OSU was his dream school as he was growing up. I don't remember a PED issue

The transferring group is concerned with the possible problem of other coaches potentially tampering with currently enrolled student-athletes...still to be worked out.

That won't happen, there's no history of collegiate coaches and "boosters" tampering in any way to gain an advantage. o.o

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
How about part of the rule being only one undergrad transfer per class per school. So the Alabama and Ohio State's of the world could only have 4 at any given time.

How about part of the rule being only one undergrad transfer per class per school. So the Alabama and Ohio State's of the world could only have 4 at any given time.

Not a bad idea. I'd probably make it a 2 or 3 per class limit. I don't suspect it to be very likely because the NCAA will all of a sudden get very worried about the "student-athlete's interests."

Reactions: red hornet

No, it was mostly selfishness, arrogance and ego. Kerr used to count the tackles he made on the field. He got upset and bitched at the official scorer once when he thought he wasn't give credit for a tackle. Kerr got upset when the DC did not take his halftime suggestions.

He was hardly a leader. Don't know if it was sour grapes or not, but the other players bad mouthed his selfishness and arrogance after he left. DiNardo said Kerr told him that he (Kerr) did not like him when he left. Once at tOSU, he made several comments bad-mouthing IU, usually inferring how bad IU was,

Kerr had originally wanted to go to tOSU, but they did not offer him a scholarship. After being named B1G freshman defensive player of the year at IU, he walked on at tOSU. He couldn't get a scholarship at that time transferring from one B1G school to another, but his parents were well-to-do and paid his tuition.

Kerr had to sit out the the first year per the transfer rule. Before the start of the second year, he and another player got suspended for disciplinary reasons and missed some games. He only played on special teams. In his third year, Kerr started at middle linebacker in most games, but only for the first defensive set. After that he was on special teams only. I guess the starting for one set was some kind of acknowledgment of his contribution.

So he went from starting linebacker and B1G freshman defensive player of the year at IU to being mostly a special teams player at tOSU. This jerk was no loss.

No, it was mostly selfishness, arrogance and ego. Kerr used to count the tackles he made on the field. He got upset and bitched at the official scorer once when he thought he wasn't give credit for a tackle. Kerr got upset when the DC did not take his halftime suggestions.

He was hardly a leader. Don't know if it was sour grapes or not, but the other players bad mouthed his selfishness and arrogance after he left. DiNardo said Kerr told him that he (Kerr) did not like him when he left. Once at tOSU, he made several comments bad-mouthing IU, usually inferring how bad IU was,

Kerr had originally wanted to go to tOSU, but they did not offer him a scholarship. After being named B1G freshman defensive player of the year at IU, he walked on at tOSU. He couldn't get a scholarship at that time transferring from one B1G school to another, but his parents were well-to-do and paid his tuition.

Kerr had to sit out the the first year per the transfer rule. Before the start of the second year, he and another player got suspended for disciplinary reasons and missed some games. He only played on special teams. In his third year, Kerr started at middle linebacker in most games, but only for the first defensive set. After that he was on special teams only. I guess the starting for one set was some kind of acknowledgment of his contribution.

So he went from starting linebacker and B1G freshman defensive player of the year at IU to being mostly a special teams player at tOSU. This jerk was no loss.
Sounds like a "locker-room lawyer"...not liked or respected by anybody.

Interesting. I met his dad once. Helluva nice guy. I didn't detect any arrogance from him at all.

Reactions: td75 and red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT