ADVERTISEMENT

CTA

CaptainZigZag

Benchwarmer
Jul 11, 2008
Allen's name being tossed about down here in Texas regarding the newly opened Baylor job, along with Josh Heuple and Justin Fuente.
I think Allen has a better program at IU and Baylor will hire from within (McGuire) but it's a mark of respect that the IU coach's name comes up within hours of the opening

Allen's name being tossed about down here in Texas regarding the newly opened Baylor job, along with Josh Heuple and Justin Fuente.
I think Allen has a better program at IU and Baylor will hire from within (McGuire) but it's a mark of respect that the IU coach's name comes up within hours of the opening
That is surprising, considering Allen just signed a new contract.

Any buzz about Allen is good for IU, because I don't think he's going anywhere, no matter how good the offer is somewhere else.

Sonny Dykes also in being mentioned. Now that might be a good hire too for BU with his all offense, what defense? Mindset

Reactions: vesuvius13
I just want my Longhorns out of this shit conference. Love for my two alma maters (IU and UTx) to bee in the B1G but that's not likely to happen I suppose.

I just want my Longhorns out of this shit conference. Love for my two alma maters (IU and UTx) to bee in the B1G but that's not likely to happen I suppose.
a friend of mine from texas told me that baylor alums have even deeper pockets than UT alums. that surprised me. is that true?

Although, Texas is in some respects its own worst enemy when it comes to its relationship with the B12. UT's financial domination contributed to Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Missouri leaving and the general watering down of the conference

Sounds like Blake Anderson may be a candidate (he's an alum) along with possibly Napier and some others.

also, it sounds like Will Hall may be headed to Starkville...

Although, Texas is in some respects its own worst enemy when it comes to its relationship with the B12. UT's financial domination contributed to Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Missouri leaving and the general watering down of the conference

The Longhorn Network pissed off A & M & Missouri got out while the gettin' was good. The SEC has been very good for both schools. Any issues MO has are related to the PC crap that exploded on the campus a few years ago.

Once A & M left, Nebraska wasn't going to hang around.

Texas fans sure don't want the BT. I think if they could vote they'd go to the SEC with Oklahoma. Oklahoma sports fans would also want the SEC. Administrative & faculty types might want the Big 10.

The interesting question for me is would the SEC really want TX & Oklahoma? Would they let TX keep the LN? Would they want two more powerhouse programs in the league when it's already so hard to win?

The Longhorn Network pissed off A & M & Missouri got out while the gettin' was good. The SEC has been very good for both schools. Any issues MO has are related to the PC crap that exploded on the campus a few years ago.

Texas fans sure don't want the BT. I think if they could vote they'd go to the SEC with Oklahoma. Oklahoma sports fans would also want the SEC. Administrative & faculty types might want the Big 10.

The interesting question for me is would the SEC really want TX & Oklahoma? Would they let TX keep the LN? Would they want two more powerhouse programs in the league when it's already so hard to win?
why would texas go anywhere? they've got it made. just like ND.

a friend of mine from texas told me that baylor alums have even deeper pockets than UT alums. that surprised me. is that true?
They have good "deep Baptist pockets" but no where near the money that Texas (or aTm) has ...plus Waco is the pits
They will have a hard time pulling an established coach, the stink of the Art Briles mess is still in the air

That whole Longhorn Network thing is such an"pig in the poke" really. Think about "The Hoosier Network" where all you could watch was vintage basketball games ( cool for a while I grant you), graduation ceremonies etc
They only show replays of old games (only victories). The only redeeming thing is that most of the Texas baseball games are shown
having said that, few schools would turn down a $15 million dollar a year check from ESPN for their third tier rights.
But aTm was going to leave anyway and Nebraska isn't doing any better in the B1G
Texas won't go to the SEC because our "high falutin' academic standards) OU would be a good fit for the SEC, if they can unbuckle from lil bro Okie State
If either Texas or OU leave, it's curtains for the BXII and that wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit

how about if we sweeten the pot? Texas to the B1G for football ( and very good academics), and Kansas to the B1G for basketball ( and wheat)

I think it has been proven that a BXII title is worthless really. Plenty of offensive talent in Texas but if we are serious about being contenders (hell we can't even win this league) IMHO we need to recruit some better defensive players and it might be easier in another conference

They do have it good.

Probably have a 1/3 chance in any given year of winning the Big 12 (1/3 OK, 1/3 TX, 1/3 the field).

The problem for OK & Texas---can they recruit well enough in the Big 12 to have a realistic shot at a NC.even if they win the Big 12? Look at what has happened to Oklahoma 4x under the current plan.

Looking at 2016-2020 Rival rankings.....mixed results:

2016.........OK #16......TX..#11
2017.........OK #7........TX #31
2018.........OK #8........TX #4
2019.........OK #5........TX #4
2020.........OK #12......TX #21

Meanwhile in 2020 GA is #2, Bama #3, LSU #4, A&M #6, Florida is #7, Auburn #9, Tennessee #11

A &M has been 6,6,16,10, 17 from 2020 down to 2016

So it SEEMS like OK & TX are doing well enough to be really competitive, but the reality is they look so soft when they come up against the top SEC teams. How much of that is recruiting, how much coaching and Big 12 'culture'? Maybe they would only struggle against the best of the best in the SEC.....right now probably Bama & LSU.

And......if TX was in the SEC, wouldn't they probably finish from 1-4 almost every year in recruiting?

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
That whole Longhorn Network thing is such an"pig in the poke" really. Think about "The Hoosier Network" where all you could watch was vintage basketball games ( cool for a while I grant you), graduation ceremonies etc
They only show replays of old games (only victories). The only redeeming thing is that most of the Texas baseball games are shown
having said that, few schools would turn down a $15 million dollar a year check from ESPN for their third tier rights.
But aTm was going to leave anyway and Nebraska isn't doing any better in the B1G
Texas won't go to the SEC because our "high falutin' academic standards) OU would be a good fit for the SEC, if they can unbuckle from lil bro Okie State
If either Texas or OU leave, it's curtains for the BXII and that wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit

how about if we sweeten the pot? Texas to the B1G for football ( and very good academics), and Kansas to the B1G for basketball ( and wheat)

Well, it's a $15M windfall.....and has to really help recruiting in sports like baseball, volleyball, softball et al

I don't know.....I think they've got it too good where they're at to move....I think OK would be another story....but their sports fans would want the SEC, not the Big 10.

I think it has been proven that a BXII title is worthless really. Plenty of offensive talent in Texas but if we are serious about being contenders (hell we can't even win this league) IMHO we need to recruit some better defensive players and it might be easier in another conference

IU has very good defensive players they are just young and it takes time for them to mature physically enough to play tough the whole game. The older players left behind aren't that good. Give the players another year and we will see the difference.

Reactions: red hornet
If 20 is the magic number for football conferences....two 10 team divisions where everyone plays everyone, you have clear champs, and the thwn 4 Conf Champ games are then "National Quarterfinals" (if that is indeed, the eventual endgame) then...

Punt Maryland and Rutgers to the ACC.

Pick up Notre Dame, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas, Texas Tech.

Baylor and TCU start petitioning the PAC...maybe with Boise, Nevada, BYU, and I dunno Wyoming?

ACC gets MD, WVA, Rutgers, and UConn (if they want)....if not...maybe Cincy?

IU has very good defensive players they are just young and it takes time for them to mature physically enough to play tough the whole game. The older players left behind aren't that good. Give the players another year and we will see the difference.

He's talking about Texas.

Both Baylor and SMU are pricey schools. Baylor average tuition is $47,000 annually and SMU is $50,000 annually.

IU is a “bargain” compared to that at $35,000/yr.

didn't he spend a @ chunk of the season basically coaching from a hospital gurney? seems like I remember a game showing him doing that

A few games, yes. They wheeled him into the stadium on the bed for one game. The guy has a history of back problems and he got some kind of weird staph infection in his lower back.

They do have it good.

Probably have a 1/3 chance in any given year of winning the Big 12 (1/3 OK, 1/3 TX, 1/3 the field).

The problem for OK & Texas---can they recruit well enough in the Big 12 to have a realistic shot at a NC.even if they win the Big 12? Look at what has happened to Oklahoma 4x under the current plan.

Looking at 2016-2020 Rival rankings.....mixed results:

2016.........OK #16......TX..#11
2017.........OK #7........TX #31
2018.........OK #8........TX #4
2019.........OK #5........TX #4
2020.........OK #12......TX #21

Meanwhile in 2020 GA is #2, Bama #3, LSU #4, A&M #6, Florida is #7, Auburn #9, Tennessee #11

A &M has been 6,6,16,10, 17 from 2020 down to 2016

So it SEEMS like OK & TX are doing well enough to be really competitive, but the reality is they look so soft when they come up against the top SEC teams. How much of that is recruiting, how much coaching and Big 12 'culture'? Maybe they would only struggle against the best of the best in the SEC.....right now probably Bama & LSU.

And......if TX was in the SEC, wouldn't they probably finish from 1-4 almost every year in recruiting?
Hit the nail on the head. This 7 on 7 crap is not good for growing talent for a balanced team in my opinion. I think it started down here but is spreading.
It's been a while since I've lived in the Hoosier state, is there summer 7 on 7 ball there?

Hit the nail on the head. This 7 on 7 crap is not good for growing talent for a balanced team in my opinion. I think it started down here but is spreading.
It's been a while since I've lived in the Hoosier state, is there summer 7 on 7 ball there?

Not at the level of Texas.

There's a reason (what seems like) half the NFL QB's are Texan, and usually 30+ helming D1 offenses.

I would make picking up a Texas Top 25 HS QB an annual recruiting MUST.

ADVERTISEMENT