ADVERTISEMENT

CTA not happy with Ballou & fmr Staff. Let's support IUFB at the spring game!

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018

Midnight defections don't reflect well on the previous staff. Leaving IUFB with a grad assistant running the weight room and workouts on the eve of Spring ball. Their character is seriously questionable.

How about we show our support and pack the Spring Game.

Also, I noticed they never said "Thanks" to IU for giving them their first big shot at running the S&C program at a P5 school. Their first opportunity to show what they can do with B1G resources.

No "thanks" or "good bye". Just gone. Unbelievable from an alumna and former player.

I have to say that I'm getting the feeling that B/R manufactured all that NFL interest (ie there never were any) just to extort money from IUFB and to leverage the "interest" into a new job at Bama.

I feel awful for the players. If anyone ever played, they would know that players spend 75-90% of their FB time with S&C coaches. From the drills, to workouts to treatment and recovery. For them to leave just like that must hurt for them.

Midnight defections don't reflect well on the previous staff. Leaving IUFB with a grad assistant running the weight room and workouts on the eve of Spring ball. Their character is seriously questionable.

They suck and so does Saban. Just one more reason to despise the Tide.

Also, I noticed they never said "Thanks" to IU for giving them their first big shot at running the S&C program at a P5 school. Their first opportunity to show what they can do with B1G resources.

No "thanks" or "good bye". Just gone. Unbelievable from an alumna and former player.

I have to say that I'm getting the feeling that B/R manufactured all that NFL interest (ie there never were any) just to extort money from IUFB and to leverage the "interest" into a new job at Bama.

I feel awful for the players. If anyone ever played, they would know that players spend 75-90% of their FB time with S&C coaches. From the drills, to workouts to treatment and recovery. For them to leave just like that must hurt for them.
THIS!

Well maybe I got it wrong. I thought the move would be handled professionally. I guess not.

It was always a dog and pony show.

The Ballou and Dr. Rhea Traveling Medicine Show! Get your magic elixir here!

It wouldn't be such a big deal to lose the S&C coach. But is it normal to take the entire staff with you? DeBoer did take one coach with him but he didn't take the entire staff.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to lose the S&C coach. But is it normal to take the entire staff with you? DeBoer did take one coach with him but he didn't take the entire staff.

I'm not sure if it's normal to take a whole staff with you. And I don't know how long the IU S&C staff was together. But I don't think DeBoer brought anyone with him, so it wasn't like his staff.

Dick move by Ballou & Rhea

I'm not sure if it's normal to take a whole staff with you. And I don't know how long the IU S&C staff was together. But I don't think DeBoer brought anyone with him, so it wasn't like his staff.

Dick move by Ballou & Rhea

Worst part of this is the overall timing, right before spring ball. Had all this happened in early January, would have been rough, but at least would have been able to manage the transition better

WHO are these two? my point exactly! Seeing a pattern with these guys....job hoppers! Did they really make that big of a difference since they've been here or did they tell a good story? Everybody is replaceable - FACT!

Agree everyone is replaceable but losing 4 or maybe 5 (maybe they will take Danison too?) from an S&C at one time has to put a gap in your program.

why is it that these types of jobs do not have non-compete clauses like the real world? you would think there would be something in place for situations like this!
Because no one would sign for a job that wasn't for HUGE $$$.

A lot of assistants aren't exactly making bank. They're doing well, to be sure, but not so well that losing a year or two of work wouldn't kill them.

Upholding non-competes rarely, if ever, get upheld in court... especially non-competes where it's across state lines, and the fact that IU and Alabama never play each other I see no chance for that to have worked in this case. Been there on both sides of the fence. Besides, contracts mean nothing if you have the right attorney and the money to fight it.

As great as they think they are, we still got abused up front by the Scarlet and Grey, and the Maize and Blue.

Let’s find a S&C coach with Big Ten ties.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
As great as they think they are, we still got abused up front by the Scarlet and Grey, and the Maize and Blue.

Everyone got beat up by OSU last season. Even Clemson was getting physically beat up, they just made the big plays (particularly late in the first half) to get back in & eventually win the game.

No argument about UM. That was disappointing to the highest degree, particularly after how physical IU played in the 2018 game.

At least the defections give coach Allen the option to bring in a S&C staff instead of finding a coach to work with assistants that stayed. It might make it more appealing to a S&C coach looking at coming to IU.

Who was the female athlete you referred to as "an alumna"?

Now you are talking my language. I would’nt quite say abused because we played Michigan very tight three years in a row: 2016, 2017 and 2018.

That said, this patented system by Ballou and Rhea seemed to be a lot of fluff. Did we really see some eye-popping result that looked different from other years? These guys got out their speed guns and electrodes to test fast twitch muscles and....I don’t know. All these DBs running 23 mph and getting beat deep.
It still boils down to talent. Tiawan Mullen was in that program for, what, 6 months and better as a freshman than guys in it for 2 years?

Seemed like a bunch of overblown hype.

Now you are talking my language. I would’nt quite say abused because we played Michigan very tight three years in a row: 2016, 2017 and 2018.

That said, this patented system by Ballou and Rhea seemed to be a lot of fluff. Did we really see some eye-popping result that looked different from other years? These guys got out their speed guns and electrodes to test fast twitch muscles and....I don’t know. All these DBs running 23 mph and getting beat deep.
It still boils down to talent. Tiawan Mullen was in that program for, what, 6 months and better as a freshman than guys in it for 2 years?

Seemed like a bunch of overblown hype.
We saw size increases and body changes so it was all fluff and Alabama believes in them because the system is advanced technical to give individual efforts for each player. The difference in playing the best teams was talent difference and it takes time to develop players. You see their efforts as fluff but I saw it as a motivational talk to keep the players working hard.

I once had one of my best players comment during film study about the last game. He commented he knew I was going to be more positive during loses and critical following wins. I told the team that was a good point and asked them if they knew why I did that. They didn't at that point so I told them; how do you feel following a win and how do you feel following a loss. Following a win they were more open to critical breakdowns but after a loss and they were down didn't need coaches to beat the down. Coaching takes almost a psychology degree to really build a team and why I could take a school never going to state championship and take them to two in five years winning a state and a semi-state title. I don't begrudge the S&C coaches building up players at IU. Alabama seems to think their system works and what the system for their team.

If you listen to Tom Allen‘s press conference today about spring ball one of the first things he did was thank the two guys that just bolted to Alabama.
Yeah, unbelievable. Maybe he doesn't want to burn any bridges for his next job.

Has anyone thought about maybe the guy that will be hired on might bring in his own guys so why wouldn't the assistants that left take guaranteed jobs?

They were kind of put in a no win situation if you ask me.
I was thinking that too, but... They were here before Ballou. CTA takes care of his own. I am sure CTA ensured their continued employment should they remain and help his through the transition.

They chose not to.

We saw size increases and body changes so it was all fluff and Alabama believes in them because the system is advanced technical to give individual efforts for each player. The difference in playing the best teams was talent difference and it takes time to develop players. You see their efforts as fluff but I saw it as a motivational talk to keep the players working hard.

I once had one of my best players comment during film study about the last game. He commented he knew I was going to be more positive during loses and critical following wins. I told the team that was a good point and asked them if they knew why I did that. They didn't at that point so I told them; how do you feel following a win and how do you feel following a loss. Following a win they were more open to critical breakdowns but after a loss and they were down didn't need coaches to beat the down. Coaching takes almost a psychology degree to really build a team and why I could take a school never going to state championship and take them to two in five years winning a state and a semi-state title. I don't begrudge the S&C coaches building up players at IU. Alabama seems to think their system works and what the system for their team.

If they find a way to transform 2 stars into 4 stars with their system, then I’ll proclaim it groundbreaking

There is only one individual in all the world who can do that. His name is God.

The God-given natural talent that kids are born with cannot be beaten by kids exposed to speed guns and electrodes. If the guy standing across from you has more natural ability from the man above, your are likely going to get beat, despite your patented training course.

If they find a way to transform 2 stars into 4 stars with their system, then I’ll proclaim it groundbreaking

There is only one individual in all the world who can do that. His name is God.

The God-given natural talent that kids are born with cannot be beaten by kids exposed to speed guns and electrodes. If the guy standing across from you has more natural ability from the man above, your are likely going to get beat, despite your patented training course.
Whop and Hendershot say "Hi".

Stevie Scott only waves though because he was a lowly 5.5 linebacker instead of a 5.4.

Thats a small sample size I know, because CTA started bringing in more 3* and 4* players.

But I agree with you mostly.

Whop and Hendershot say "Hi".

Stevie Scott only waves though because he was a lowly 5.5 linebacker instead of a 5.4.

Thats a small sample size I know, because CTA started bringing in more 3* and 4* players.

But I agree with you mostly.

There’s also the possibility that they were simply rated entirely wrong.
I would argue that the “Body by Ballou” system didn’t make them into who they are.....they had that all along and were completely missed by the guru evaluators.
You bring up a great example: Stevie Scott.

He didn’t have to be molded through time in the Ballou/Rhea system. He started his freshman year and had great success.

He had the tools right out of the gate.

Another case in point: Ballou left Notre Dame. They didn’t just fall off the map. They didn’t suddenly lose strength and speed.

I do trust Allen will find a great leader for this position and that great candidates are out there and interested. It’s still only March. This will be filled in two weeks or less Inpredict. I get excited for new talent to come in. May energize the team as well.

I was thinking that too, but... They were here before Ballou. CTA takes care of his own. I am sure CTA ensured their continued employment should they remain and help his through the transition.

They chose not to.

That's all fine and good, but what if said coaches don't get along with the new guy and don't like his style?

They already know how Ballou and Rhea operates. I don't blame them one bit for leaving. We as fans are way to connected to the university. This was a place of employment for them. This is home for most of us. We need to remember that.

That's all fine and good, but what if said coaches don't get along with the new guy and don't like his style?

They already know how Ballou and Rhea operates. I don't blame them one bit for leaving. We as fans are way to connected to the university. This was a place of employment for them. This is home for most of us. We need to remember that.
CTA takes care of his own. He'd make sure they had a place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT