ADVERTISEMENT

CTA can change IUFB this weekend ... and the great goose dropping debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit of a strange thread. He is a lawyer so we don't expect him to get bird droppings cleaned up? His profession prevents him from getting problems fixed? Do I expect a dentist to fix my tire? Nope. But if the tire shop I go to for repairs has a dentist who cannot change a tire as an employee, that's on the shop and I think it might hurt business. Ultimately, he is in charge of IU athletics and all that goes with it. Buck has to stop somewhere. As to what is acceptable, I tend to ask myself what would be done at a solid football program? Would Michigan, OSU, PSU, Oklahoma simply say, "oops bird droppings nothing can be done?" Would they have closed concession stands and have no back-up plan to get them open and keep them open? Would they run out of food at concession stands on the day of their rivalry game? I just can't see that happening. Maybe think about a comparison with IU Basketball. Would we close a section in AH because there there were rat dropping on the seats or would it somehow get cleaned up? Don't attend many basketball games, but are concession stands closed or short of food often at AH? Let's face it, there are big problems (on-site parking) and problems that should be fixed without much thought (bird droppings, concessions). When all are treated as insurmountable, well... there is a program problem.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't know.

You're faculty. You tell us. You speak with Jeremy Gray directly. What steps are being taken to identify problems on game day and address them? Does anyone at Indiana even really care about making things better? From your very own posts I'd say the answer is a resounding "No"...

And as I've said numerous times in this very thread, the bleachers aren't the sole problem. It's just part of a larger issue. Concessions, parking, on-the-field product, etc...there are several things the University could be doing better. They aren't. That's the problem.

You must have me mistaken for someone who thinks "Fred Glass is always wrong". Not true at all. I think he's made enough blunders with the revenue-generating programs at Indiana to cost him his job, yes. He's done some things that weren't terrible. But overall he's a very underwhelming Athletic Director. I guess compared to his predecessors he's a a home run though.
So you aren’t at all interested in debating what I’m actually saying. OK.

So you aren’t at all interested in debating what I’m actually saying. OK.

I answered you. I said I don't know. I even gave a possible solution to the problem. In fact it's you who isn't answering questions. But even if you do you're just a mouthpiece for Indiana.

And what's there to debate?

The Indiana Football game day experience is a shit show. Literally.

And the University does not care.

I answered you. I said I don't know. I even gave a possible solution to the problem. In fact it's you who isn't answering questions. But even if you do you're just a mouthpiece for Indiana.

And what's there to debate?

The Indiana Football game day experience is a shit show. Literally.

And the University does not care.
So. let me recap your position- you admit you don't know when the birds crapped and you admit you don't know what Glass' response actually was but you're just sure it was wrong. OK.
You write off my posts for no other reason than because I work for IU, you won't answer any of my questions, you repeat things that I've said as if they were your own words then criticize me for something I've actually said that you're repeating as your own words. Got it.
In your bizarre world, me saying for the last ten years that our game day operations are a disaster equates to me being a mouthpiece. Gotcha.

The issue is that there was no official response from the AD. Leaders, good leaders, address issues that come up. They acknowledge, address and assuage. The AD has done none of that. A simple statement would suffice. "sorry for the inconvenience, happened right before game time, couldn't be helped, we did our best, moved people, offered free concessions, continue to do our.best, etc". However, fans received nothing, and are upset.
If this is what happened- I don't know that it is but I don't know that it isn't and thus far no one else appears to know either way- isn't that an official response? Why would Fred Glass need to apologize to you if you weren't affected? There is no outrage, there's no public controversy except what's been stirred up by the "Glass is always wrong" crowd. Who's upset other than those people? Nothing went viral unless you just don't know what viral means. Google it. You won't find anything. Birds crap. Glass doesn't need to apologize for that.

So. let me recap your position- you admit you don't know when the birds crapped and you admit you don't know what Glass' response actually was but you're just sure it was wrong. OK.
You write off my posts for no other reason than because I work for IU, you won't answer any of my questions, you repeat things that I've said as if they were your own words then criticize me for something I've actually said that you're repeating as your own words. Got it.
In your bizarre world, me saying for the last ten years that our game day operations are a disaster equates to me being a mouthpiece. Gotcha.

Uh...no. Nice try.

The very fact that fans in the stands started posting pictures on social media is proof enough that AD's response was wrong. It doesn't matter when they did it at that point. The University's response had been nil. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

I've been consistant with what I've said throughout this entire thread. What have I repeated that are your words that aren't obvious to everyone? I've answered every one of your questions, despite you not answering mine.

You work for the University.
You defend the indefensible.
You are a sycophant sunshine pumping mouthpiece for Indiana.

Did I leave anything out?

This is a bit of a strange thread. He is a lawyer so we don't expect him to get bird droppings cleaned up? His profession prevents him from getting problems fixed? Do I expect a dentist to fix my tire? Nope. But if the tire shop I go to for repairs has a dentist who cannot change a tire as an employee, that's on the shop and I think it might hurt business. Ultimately, he is in charge of IU athletics and all that goes with it. Buck has to stop somewhere. As to what is acceptable, I tend to ask myself what would be done at a solid football program? Would Michigan, OSU, PSU, Oklahoma simply say, "oops bird droppings nothing can be done?" Would they have closed concession stands and have no back-up plan to get them open and keep them open? Would they run out of food at concession stands on the day of their rivalry game? I just can't see that happening. Maybe think about a comparison with IU Basketball. Would we close a section in AH because there there were rat dropping on the seats or would it somehow get cleaned up? Don't attend many basketball games, but are concession stands closed or short of food often at AH? Let's face it, there are big problems (on-site parking) and problems that should be fixed without much thought (bird droppings, concessions). When all are treated as insurmountable, well... there is a program problem.
You've been around about as long as I have and I have to say that I'm disappointed by this response. It's not nearly as thoughtful as you typically are.

If this is what happened- I don't know that it is but I don't know that it isn't and thus far no one else appears to know either way- isn't that an official response? Why would Fred Glass need to apologize to you if you weren't affected? There is no outrage, there's no public controversy except what's been stirred up by the "Glass is always wrong" crowd. Who's upset other than those people? Nothing went viral unless you just don't know what viral means. Google it. You won't find anything. Birds crap. Glass doesn't need to apologize for that.
Why apologize? Maybe to show he cared? Maybe because Glass would actually WANT fans to fill the stadium?

Not caring about fan experience shows the AD doesn't care about fan attendance. Which in turn shows the fans that the AD doesn't care about the program. So fans think, why buy tickets? Then it goes round and round.

It's about perception. INDIANA is bad at it.

Uh...no. Nice try.

The very fact that fans in the stands started posting pictures on social media is proof enough that AD's response was wrong. It doesn't matter when they did it at that point. The University's response had been nil. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

I've been consistant with what I've said throughout this entire thread. What have I repeated that are your words that aren't obvious to everyone? I've answered every one of your questions, despite you not answering mine.

You work for the University.
You defend the indefensible.
You are a sycophant sunshine pumping mouthpiece for Indiana.

Did I leave anything out?
You just aren't responding to the facts or my actual posts. You haven't answered my questions and you haven't posed any real questions to me. If you want to call that consistent, I agree. You've admitted you don't know a single thing about what happened other than poop was somewhere at some time. When it happened and what the response actually was remains beyond your grasp and, obviously, your concern.
I haven't defended a single thing. I know that's what you want me to have done but the fact that you keep saying this proves that you aren't reading and responding to what I'm actually saying.

Why apologize? Maybe to show he cared? Maybe because Glass would actually WANT fans to fill the stadium?

Not caring about fan experience shows the AD doesn't care about fan attendance. Which in turn shows the fans that the AD doesn't care about the program. So fans think, why buy tickets? Then it goes round and round.

It's about perception. INDIANA is bad at it.
Again, how do you know he didn't apologize to the people who were actually affected? We're you sitting in those seats? He has no need to apologize to people who weren't affected and wouldn't have otherwise known about it.

You're pretty hung up on me being an employee. Did you flunk out or something?

No, not at all. I'm a proud alum. I just find it ironic that an actual employee of the University would post on here in defense of a program that continually gets it wrong.

And your continued responses to me make it pretty obvious that you're either not reading my responses back to you or are flat out ignoring them. Your questions were answered. Mine weren't.

I have been steadfast in saying that the bleacher issue isn't the only problem, but you keep wanting some sort of hypothetical "What would you have done?" ...that I actually answered, btw.

There's really nothing else to say at this point. So you keep on with your bad self.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Again, how do you know he didn't apologize to the people who were actually affected? We're you sitting in those seats? He has no need to apologize to people who weren't affected and wouldn't have otherwise known about it.
Who are you to say who is affected or not? You're definition of "affected" is too narrow.

Alumi and fans are proud of their University, of INDIANA. Proud of the brand. When they see this on social media, they get embarrassed. They are affected.

You obviously have pride in IU. I can see it in your posts. Perhaps you can understand why others with similar pride might disagree with you.

No, not at all. I'm a proud alum. I just find it ironic that an actual employee of the University would post on here in defense of a program that continually gets it wrong.

And your continued responses to me make it pretty obvious that you're either not reading my responses or are flat out ignoring them. Your questions were answered. Mine weren't.

I have been steadfast in saying that the bleacher issue isn't the only problem, but you keep wanting some sort of hypothetical "What would you have done?" ...that I actually answered, btw.

There's really nothing else to say at this point. So you keep on with your bad self.
Sorry but trying to turn it around on me when you aren't capable of debating what I'm saying doesn't give you any kind of upper hand. I know exactly what you're saying.You have no clue or no concern what I'm saying. If you did you wouldn't repeat what I've posted in this thread and hundreds of other time as I've never said it. You aren't bright enough to outwit me.
Let's start over with the questions- I'll ask you one and you ask me one.
How do you know that Glass didn't send a crew to clean the bleachers once he knew there was a problem? Answer and ask me one.

When they see this on social media, they get embarrassed.
That's fine but if there was this massive black eye to the University, you'd think someone one campus- anyone on campus- would be talking about it. Google it. They aren't.
And since when is social media a credible source of information?

As you said, birds crap. You're right, of course. No one can control where, when or how birds crap. They just do, and they do it a lot, especially while migrating in the fall.

The issue is that there was no official response from the AD. Leaders, good leaders, address issues that come up. They acknowledge, address and assuage. The AD has done none of that. A simple statement would suffice. "sorry for the inconvenience, happened right before game time, couldn't be helped, we did our best, moved people, offered free concessions, continue to do our.best, etc". However, fans received nothing, and are upset.

People are upset because they want a REAL football program. They crave it. They want something to be proud of. Unfortunately, the Bucket game was an embarrassment, on many levels. Who can be proud of a program that actively ignores embarrassments issues that go viral on social media nowadays?

Would this happen in Assembly Hall and the AD remain quiet? I think not.
So you want an official statement from Indiana University regarding..... bird poop.

No, that wouldn't cause IU to be the butt of every joke from here to eternity, would it?

Should your local Krogers apologize for snow being in the parking lot?

You guys must be Democrats, as crazy as you're sounding. This is proof that crowds can work themselves into a frenzy over virtually nothing.

Last edited:
That's fine but if there was this massive black eye to the University, you'd think someone one campus- anyone on campus- would be talking about it. Google it. They aren't.
It's not about quality of information. It's about perception. How IU football is seen in social circles is important too. You work at IU. The vast majority of Alumni don't and because it's not talked about openly on campus, it doesn't mean people wearing IU gear at work in an office don't get crap for it.

I know - I used ridiculous examples to expose how ridiculous and whining these complaints are.

You don't see a difference between being outside in the elements and Assembly Hall? Really?

Sorry but trying to turn it around on me when you aren't capable of debating what I'm saying doesn't give you any kind of upper hand. I know exactly what you're saying.You have no clue or no concern what i'm saying.If you did you wouldn't repeat what I've posted in this thread and hundreds of other time as I've never said it. You aren't bright enough to outwit me.
Let's start over with the questions- I'll ask you one and you ask me one.
How do you know that Glass didn't send a crew to clean the bleachers once he knew there was a problem? Answer and ask me one.

Uh...not bright enough?

Nice. Is that what someone winning a "debate" would say? I wonder if you have the stones to talk like that in person. And really, there is no debate. All of your questions were answered. Go back and reread the thread. It's all pretty clear. And judging from the other posters responding to you, it seems you're the one who's still not getting it.

I'm not trying to outwit you or "get the upper hand". Jesus get over yourself. I guess being called out as a sycophant mouthpiece touched a nerve. I apologize.

We're talking past each other.

Have a Merry Christmas.

It's not about quality of information. It's about perception. How IU football is seen in social circles is important too. You work at IU. The vast majority of Alumni don't and just because it's not talked about openly on campus, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about it where they live and work.

Since Purdue fans started using it to trash IU football.

Jesus, this thread is really bringing out the whiners. I was at the Bucket game and saw no evidence of bird poop or closed concessions. But I'm supposed to be outraged by something in 'social media' from people who didn't even attend the game. It's going to be a long off-season......

Reactions: ESalum86
Uh...not bright enough?

Nice. Is that what someone winning a "debate" would say? I wonder if you have the stones to talk like that in person. And really, there is no debate. All of your questions were answered. Go back and reread the thread. It's all pretty clear. And judging from the other posters responding to you, it seems you're the one who's still not getting it.

I'm not trying to outwit you or "get the upper hand". Jesus get over yourself. I guess being called out as a sycophant mouthpiece touched a nerve. I apologize.

We're talking past each other.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Glad to chat with you in person. You're talking past me. I'm talking to you. I gave you a chance to start the debate over and you passed. You have no clue what I'm saying even though I've been explicit about it and you haven't asked any questions that I can answer. I would expect that talking in person is more productive that sparring on a message board so let's do it. Next time you're in town, let me know.

Since Purdue fans started using it to trash IU football.

Jesus, this thread is really bringing out the whiners. I was at the Bucket game and saw no evidence of bird poop or closed concessions. But I'm supposed to be outraged by something in 'social media' from people who didn't even attend the game. It's going to be a long off-season......
Co-sign.

Glad to chat with you in person. You're talking past me. I'm talking to you. I gave you a chance to start the debate over and you passed. You have no clue what I'm saying even though I've been explicit about it and you haven't asked any questions that I can answer. I would expect that talking in person is more productive that sparring on a message board so let's do it. Next time you're in town, let me know.

Anytime.

Last edited:
It's not about quality of information. It's about perception. How IU football is seen in social circles is important too. You work at IU. The vast majority of Alumni don't and just because it's not talked about openly on campus, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about it where they live and work.
Huh? I live in Bloomington and work on campus. Pretty sure if it would come up anywhere, it would come up here being the place where the stadium is located and all...

1. Rain doesn't guarantee that all of the droppings would be naturally cleaned...it didn't rain that hard.

2. How do you know FG didn't clean up the bleachers when he found out? I'd ask, how did FG not know about this before paying customers were in the seats?

3. My people came back from 25 minutes at the concession stand empty handed.

4. FG owes us an apology for the game management against Purdue.

God obviously misheard the IU fans that day.
We were really chanting " Bring on Purdue" not bring on Bird Doo! LOL
Please, let's put this $h!+ to bed, Fred. VBG

Reactions: DANC
You've been around about as long as I have and I have to say that I'm disappointed by this response. It's not nearly as thoughtful as you typically are.
Sorry I did not live up to your expectations. Maybe I'm like the IU administration and just have bad days. Feel free to consider my post my own "bird droppings affair." Then on reflection, I don't really care if I have met your expectations and stand by my post. Football game day is generally amateur hour.

I know - I used ridiculous examples to expose how ridiculous and whining these complaints are.

You don't see a difference between being outside in the elements and Assembly Hall? Really?

I see it easier to clean outside than inside. Not sure a couple rented power washers (assuming our glorious athletic department does not think to own a couple) would have been allowed in AH but could have been a problem solver in Memorial. I also don't see the elements on that day impacting concession stands or food stocks.

1. Rain doesn't guarantee that all of the droppings would be naturally cleaned...it didn't rain that hard.

2. How do you know FG didn't clean up the bleachers when he found out? I'd ask, how did FG not know about this before paying customers were in the seats?

3. My people came back from 25 minutes at the concession stand empty handed.

4. FG owes us an apology for the game management against Purdue.
"your people"?

So, you don't really know what happened if you didn't go yourself. And I'd venture to say you didn't sit in bird poop, either.

In neither case were you affected. The horse is dead. Get off it.

I see it easier to clean outside than inside. Not sure a couple rented power washers (assuming our glorious athletic department does not think to own a couple) would have been allowed in AH but could have been a problem solver in Memorial. I also don't see the elements on that day impacting concession stands or food stocks.
Birds don't poop inside. So that's not a concern in AH.

Did anyone report the poop to the AD? Or did they just take a picture, laugh about it, and go find another seat? Or maybe no one had seats there, but just wanted to start something.

This has now reached Urban Legend status, where no one was actually affected by it or even saw it, but is convinced they know everything about it AND IT'S FRED'S FAULT, DAMMIT.

Any normal sports stadium has ushers wiping down seats with towels. Heck, I've seen it before games, after a pre-game rain shower. IU runs a d-league operation. That's my only comment for this thread.
You don't go to many sporting events. With the exception of baseball, no one cleans seats, especially bench seats.

Let me know the next time YOU attend an IU sporting event.

Sorry I did not live up to your expectations. Maybe I'm like the IU administration and just have bad days. Feel free to consider my post my own "bird droppings affair." Then on reflection, I don't really care if I have met your expectations and stand by my post. Football game day is generally amateur hour.
Sorry if I was harsh. I got a bit frustrated with most of what I'm saying being ignored by some other posters. I completely agree that our game day operations are awful and have said so hundreds of times over the years.

Sorry if I was harsh. I got a bit frustrated with most of what I'm saying being ignored by some other posters. I completely agree that our game day operations are awful and have said so hundreds of times over the years.

No problem. I just think we need to establish a higher standard. We can only do that by refusing to accept the awful past performances of the department, or at least call them out. Other schools show that it can be done at a higher level. I want the same effort other schools put forth. Hard to be a winner when program doesn't act like a winner. Just my humble opinion.

DsyKKVlVsAAILeu.jpg

CMON MAN whoever in this thread is defending the AD should be banned.

Wow, that is a complete embarrassment!!! Efforts should have been made to do something about that and clean that “shit” up before the gates were open!! Surely somebody saw that before the gates were open, if not that’s even more embarrassing!!

No problem. I just think we need to establish a higher standard. We can only do that by refusing to accept the awful past performances of the department, or at least call them out. Other schools show that it can be done at a higher level. I want the same effort other schools put forth. Hard to be a winner when program doesn't act like a winner. Just my humble opinion.
I don't disagree. My point about the bird poop was/is that Glass is being beat up by people who have no idea what his response actually was. He could have very well cleaned it up and taken care of the people affected and made them completely happy. Some people don't care what happened, they care how much hay they can make out of it.

Wow, that is a complete embarrassment!!! Efforts should have been made to do something about that and clean that “shit” up before the gates were open!! Surely somebody saw that before the gates were open, if not that’s even more embarrassing!!
I'll ask you the same questions I asked other people (with no answer)- when did the birds poop and did it actually get cleaned up? If you're going to be critical, these things matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT