ADVERTISEMENT

CTA can change IUFB this weekend ... and the great goose dropping debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because there's nothing for him to say. Birds crap. That's what they do. Was he supposed to generate a force field over the stadium? I didn't have any problems at concession stands and I went to two different ones. Concession stands have lines. Just walk down and find one that doesn't.
These aren't controversies except to people whose starting point is "I hate Fred Glass".

You think it's as simple as "birds crap" and "oh well, nothing we can do about it" and that's that...? It was an embarrassment and was broadcast on social media. A bad look all around for a program trying build an identity that's something other than a laughingstock in college football. No one is expecting Fred to combat the forces of nature and reign victorious, but is it really too much to ask to maybe have a contingency plan in place to clean the bleachers before fans are allowed into Memorial if something like that were to happen? Seems like a pretty obvious thing to anyone wanting to maximize the game day experience for fans.

The issue with the concession stands wasn't about the lines. The issue is that some of them were closed because they were out of concessions. During the middle of the game. Again, not an overly dramatic emergency, but that, coupled with the state of the bleachers, points to a a larger issue within the Athletic Department with regards to management.

It really isn't asking too much for Fred to acknowledge these faux pas and/or apologize to to the fans for the inconvenience. Especially considering how disappointing the season ended up being...

Last edited:
You think it's as simple as "birds crap" and "oh well, nothing we can do about it" and that's that...? It was an embarrassment and was broadcast on social media. A bad look all around for a program trying build an identity that's something other than a laughingstock in college football. No one is expecting Fred to combat the forces of nature and reign victorious, but is it really too much to ask to maybe have a contingency plan in place to clean the bleachers before fans are allowed into Memorial if something like that were to happen? Seems like a pretty obvious thing to anyone wanting to maximize the game day experience for fans.

The issue with the concession stands wasn't about the lines. The issue is that some of them were closed because they were out of concessions. During the middle of the game. Again, not an overly dramatic emergency, but that, coupled with the state of the bleachers, points to a a larger issue within the Athletic Department with regards to management.

It really isn't asking too much for Fred to acknowledge these faux pas and/or apologize to to the fans for the inconvenience. Especially considering how disappointing the season ended up being...?

Lines were also an issue with the concessions. The stand near entry 6 was closed. The lines were longer than I can ever remember them being for a crowd of that size.

Is Dreamer employed by the University? If not, maybe he should apply, he'd be a good fit.

Reactions: IUgradman
I agree with what you say here. You do know "it" when it's happening, much like with Mallory in the middle 80s. We are seeing "it" now at Purdue. When you paddle Ohio State in that manner and then work a decent Iowa team over, the proof is happening before your eyes.

What we are seeing at IU is a general uptick in recruiting. That's a very nice development considering just how lousy our recruiting truly was about a decade ago. I think it took the North endzone to boost recruiting just to a three star level. Our level before that was all two star people, it wasn't much above a Mid American conference level.

Tom seems to know enough about defense to possibly generate a bowl program but he's going to have to cut loose with some of his conservative philosophies and become more aggressive, particularly offensively. It was silly to wait until the Minnesota game to open up the offense, just completely goofy. Many of us thought it was silly for him to sit on MP as long as he did.

Wilson would've had "it" if Tom Allen had been here since Day One, but he had Doug Mallory instead. Doug cost KW dearly, no telling how much he cost KW. Jeff Brohm looks good at Purdue in large part because of Nick Holt, their DC. At least Jeff had the right man all along, he came with him from WKU.

Let's hope Tom's our "it" man! His recruiting is good, just imagine his recruiting with a bowl season.
I have to disagree on the "it" at purdue. You know "it" when you see a team on a schedule and know your going to beat them because you've been consistent and what your doing works. You don't lay eggs like eastern michigan and then go out and look great against osu and then get drubbed 41-10 a couple weeks later at minny? That aint "it" sorry. Its getting there BUT so are we "getting there". "It" is like Jeff Tedford taking a 1-11 Fresno State team and year 1 going 10-4 and following it up with 11-2. jus sayin

Last edited:
Because there's nothing for him to say. Birds crap. That's what they do. Was he supposed to generate a force field over the stadium? I didn't have any problems at concession stands and I went to two different ones. Concession stands have lines. Just walk down and find one that doesn't.
These aren't controversies except to people whose starting point is "I hate Fred Glass".
Are you kidding? That could have been pressure washed easily in morning or the night before. Don't they inspect the stadium? Has it happened before? That was inexcusable!!!

Stop making excuses for the guy! It was embarrassing! AND its one of the biggest games of the year for IU and you lose out on revenue by closing concessions? Who the f*ck with any kind of business pedigree does that?

I have to disagree. I'm definitely not a Glass-hater and I think much of the complaining about him on this board is petty. But the lack of workers at the Bucket game was inexcusable (as was not having the bleachers clean and running out of food) and he owes the fans a public apology.

I'm sure that some of the issues with long security lines and long concession lines was with subcontractors not providing the full quota of workers. Still, that comes back to FG and he should have sent a message to fans that it will not happen again. I'm not part of the "blame Fred for everything" crowd but he has to own it when there are conditions that make the game-day experience poor for those who pay good money to be there.

I have to disagree on the "it" at purdue. You know "it" when you see a team on a schedule and know your going to beat them because you've been consistent and what your doing works. You don't lay eggs like eastern michigan and then go out and look great against osu and then get drubbed 41-10 a couple weeks later at minny? That aint "it" sorry. Its getting there BUT so are we "getting there". It is like Jeff Tedford taking a 1-11 Fresno State team and year 1 going 10-4 and following it up with 11-2. jus sayin

Yep, to early to tell on Brohm. If Brohm has "it" after a certainly impressive uptick after 2 years, well so did Brady Hoke and Charlie Weis

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1

It really isn't asking too much for Fred to acknowledge these faux pas and/or apologize to to the fans for the inconvenience. Especially considering how disappointing the season ended up being...?
So when did the bird crap appear? Since it was raining until 9 a.m. that day, it wouldn't have been before then or it would have been washed away. Was he supposed to haul power washers up 120 rows and start power spraying bird shit everywhere with an hour to kickoff?
Birds crap on bleachers in stadiums all over the world. There isn't any need for Glass to publicly apologize for that. The only place I've really seen anything about it is here and overblown by the usual suspects. I've heard literally no one talking about it and I'm a faculty member and on campus every day. Glass making some kind of public statement would have made it a worldwide issue instead of what it is, which is nothing.
As far as concessions, our concessions operations have been a disaster in every sport for decades. There's plenty to criticize about that but overblowing something that happened at one or two stands at one game just distracts from any legitimate criticism. I went to the NEZ concession stand at halftime and literally walked right up to the counter. Anyone who got stuck in a long line did so because they were to dumb or lazy to find a shorter one.

Look, there's TONS to criticize about our game day operations and I frequently do but birds and easily avoidable waits at concession stands are not among them. They are simply fodder for a handful of people to whom Glass can't do anything right. Sadly, these kinds of overly dramatic, blown out of proportion, hissy fits just distract and trivializes legit complaints about real issues.

Are you kidding? That could have been pressure washed easily in morning or the night before. Don't they inspect the stadium? Has it happened before? That was inexcusable!!!

Stop making excuses for the guy! It was embarrassing! AND its one of the biggest games of the year for IU and you lose out on revenue by closing concessions? Who the f*ck with any kind of business pedigree does that?
It was raining up until 9 am. There obviously wasn't any thing on the beachers to clean until after that point or the rain would have washed it away.
And, as I said, I had no problem at concession stands, though we have obvious systemic problems with concessions. I don't a rats ass about an apology. I just want it fixed.

If you don't think I criticize Fred Glass, you have never read any of my posts. I complain about game day operations more than just about anyone here. I just save my criticism for things that matter instead of trivial things that are blown out of proportion in pursuit of a narrative.

i know shit when i see it. and you're full of it. that's my "it" factor.

Dude - I can only go on the evidence and data in front of me. IU checked off a lot of needs that were indicated by many to have a successful program (or at least a bowl team):

Brand new facilities.
Better recruiting.
4-star QB
Mr. Football from the state of Indiana
Home game against Purdue with a winner-goes-bowling reward awaiting.

The guy up north had to completely restock his defense too.

The guy in Minnesota was playing tons of freshmen.

2 guys got it done and 1 didn’t with all the same circumstances. What does that say to you?

It tells me that there are two guys that appear to have immediate impacts and 1 guy that has not. Now, the jury may still be out but his challenge just got steeper. If IU loses James, Bell and Williams to the rival, it’s pretty clear where the advantage and momentum lies. I’m rooting for Allen but the grace period has ended.

Yes, I am. I'm also a 20 year season ticket holder who complains about game day operations more than just about anyone.

Good for you.

How so? I've been on the faculty for 2 years. I've been on this board going on 25.

I have no interest in reading posts defending the University for the indefensible mismanagement of the Football program/Gameday experience from an employee sycophant.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Good for you.

I have no interest in reading posts defending the University for the indefensible mismanagement of the Football program/Gameday experience from an employee sycophant.
I'm doing no such thing. I'm pointing out blown out of proportion gripes meant to serve a personal agenda. My employee status has nothing to do with that. You getting hung up on that just shows that you have no ability to debate me on the merits.
If you want to read posts criticizing our poor game day management from someone who just wants it to get better, you should read mine.

So when did the bird crap appear? Since it was raining until 9 a.m. that day, it wouldn't have been before then or it would have been washed away. Was he supposed to haul power washers up 120 rows and start power spraying bird shit everywhere with an hour to kickoff?
Birds crap on bleachers in stadiums all over the world. There isn't any need for Glass to publicly apologize for that. The only place I've really seen anything about it is here and overblown by the usual suspects. I've heard literally no one talking about it and I'm a faculty member and on campus every day. Glass making some kind of public statement would have made it a worldwide issue instead of what it is, which is nothing.
As far as concessions, our concessions operations have been a disaster in every sport for decades. There's plenty to criticize about that but overblowing something that happened at one or two stands at one game just distracts from any legitimate criticism. I went to the NEZ concession stand at halftime and literally walked right up to the counter. Anyone who got stuck in a long line did so because they were to dumb or lazy to find a shorter one.

Look, there's TONS to criticize about our game day operations and I frequently do but birds and easily avoidable waits at concession stands are not among them. They are simply fodder for a handful of people to whom Glass can't do anything right. Sadly, these kinds of overly dramatic, blown out of proportion, hissy fits just distract and trivializes legit complaints about real issues.

Well, I hear you about looking for shorter lines for the bathrooms and the concessions.......I always do.....but I can tell you a lot of people don't even think about doing that. It never enters their head. We say around our business that we have to make things "idiot proof".......not a bad policy to adopt whenever you are dealing with the general public.

Let me give you an example.......you might make an announcement or put up signs to the effect that there might be shorter bathroom/concession lines in the NEZ area......or maybe have some of the ushers say that to the very long lines of people at the Purdue game. Improvise when one stand is closed for some reason. Maybe that was unavoidable. Nobody knows because nobody says anything. That's the kind of things you might do if you want to make things easier/better for people rather than just surviving the day and getting their asses out of the stadium.

Edit--I wonder if there's one guy or girl in charge of these minor game day issues....the general stadium experience (other than Fred?) that can make these kind of minor decisions---the whole thing looks very bureaucratic to me.

Last edited:
I'm doing no such thing. I'm pointing out blown out of proportion gripes meant to serve a personal agenda. My employee status has nothing to do with that. You getting hung up on that just shows that you have no ability to debate me on the merits.
If you want to read posts criticizing our poor game day management from someone who just wants it to get better, you should read mine.

The merits?

Indiana has a (literally) shitty gameday experience. It is inept and terribly mismanaged. All you did was make excuses as to why it couldn't be corrected and then defended the guy responsible for it from coming out and apologizing to the inconvenienced fans. Indiana University might have the least self-aware Athletic Department in the entire country. If you're as critical as you say you are, then you should be appalled at yet another series of blunders that this program seems to routinely make.

Instead all you did was continue with excuses and the same tired reasons why Indiana can't seem to get it right. As a good employee should do.

The only thing merited in this instance, is an apology.

But it's Fred Glass and that's not happening.

Well, I hear you about looking for shorter lines for the bathrooms and the concessions.......I always do.....but I can tell you a lot of people don't even think about doing that. It never enters their head. We say around our business that we have to make things "idiot proof".......not a bad policy to adopt whenever you are dealing with the general public.

Let me give you an example.......you might make an announcement or put up signs to the effect that there might be shorter bathroom/concession lines in the NEZ area......or maybe have some of the ushers say that to the very long lines of people at the Purdue game. Improvise when one stand is closed for some reason. Maybe that was unavoidable. Nobody knows because nobody says anything. That's the kind of things you might do if you want to make things easier/better for people rather than just surviving the day and getting their asses out of the stadium.

Edit--I wonder if there's one guy or girl in charge of these minor game day issues....the general stadium experience (other than Fred?)
Totally fair point and one I've been making myself for a long time. Our game day operations are a train wreck. They have been for as long as can remember. What I'm pointing out is not that we don't have problems. What I'm pointing out is that selectively choosing this instance and calling it a "...gate" does nothing to address the long standing problem and that a public "apology" from Glass only serves to call more public attention to it and is mostly for the egos of people who want to see him fail.
We have problems. I don't need an apology. I want them fixed.

As far as who is in charge- Chuck Crabb is in charge of facilities and Jeremy Gray is in charge of game day experience. I've addressed specific complaints to Jeremy before and he's been apologetic and done his best to make things right by me but the systemic problems are still the same.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
The merits?

Indiana has a (literally) shitty gameday experience. It is inept and terribly mismanaged. All you did was make excuses as to why it couldn't be corrected and then defended the guy responsible for it from coming out and apologizing to the inconvenienced fans. Indiana University might have the least self-aware Athletic Department in the entire country. If you're as critical as you say you are, then you should be appalled at yet another series of blunders that this program seems to routinely make.

Instead all you did was continue with excuses and the same tired reasons why Indiana can't seem to get it right. As a good employee should do.

The only thing merited in this instance, is an apology.

But it's Fred Glass and that's not happening.
Again, I did no such thing but you wouldn't know what I said since you stopped reading my posts.

It's been 51 years since I became an IU fan and I finally came to the realization that other than a handful of fans on this board and a couple thousand fans in MS nobody cares. It's as if the powers that be are just going through the motions to field a fb team to stay in the BIG but remain totally satisfied if the team doesn't embarrass the university with problems or total ineptness.
I actually think you're closer to the truth of the matter than anyone would care to admit. Of course the admin would never admit that either. But actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: td75 and bang63

I don't think he needed to address any single problem specifically.....It would have been sufficient to send some general letter to the season ticket holders saying they were aware of certain issues that had arisen and that they would work to make the game day experience the best possible experience for the fans......I would also have added something to the effect that the on-the-field results were not everything we had hoped for and that the coaches, team, and administration would redouble their efforts to put the best possible product on the field. I'd run the later by Allen before I sent it out.

Only problem with doing that.....don't say it if you don't mean it. The fact they haven't said it says a lot to me.

Again, I did no such thing but you wouldn't know what I said since you stopped reading my posts.

I read up until I found out you work for the University, including this, "Was he supposed to haul power washers up 120 rows and start power spraying bird shit everywhere with an hour to kickoff?"...

Sounds like an excuse to me.

You said you've addressed Jeremy Gray directly, correct? What excuses does he give? Why can't Indiana get this right?

Last edited:
I don't think he needed to address any single problem specifically.....It would have been sufficient to send some general letter to the season ticket holders saying they were aware of certain issues that had arisen and that they would work to make the game day experience the best possible experience for the fans......I would also have added something to the effect that the on-the-field results were not everything we had hoped for and that the coaches, team, and administration would redouble their efforts to put the best possible product on the field. I'd run the later by Allen before I sent it out.

Only problem with doing that.....don't say it if you don't mean it. The fact they haven't said it says a lot to me.
I think we're just going to disagree on this and that's fine. What you're suggesting sounds like ego more than results to me but I won't argue it any more.

Totally fair point and one I've been making myself for a long time. Our game day operations are a train wreck. They have been for as long as can remember. What I'm pointing out is not that we don't have problems. What I'm pointing out is that selectively choosing this instance and calling it a "...gate" does nothing to address the long standing problem and that a public "apology" from Glass only serves to call more public attention to it and is mostly for the egos of people who want to see him fail.
We have problems. I don't need an apology. I want them fixed.

As far as who is in charge- Chuck Crabb is in charge of facilities and Jeremy Gray is in charge of game day experience. I've addressed specific complaints to Jeremy before and he's been apologetic and done his best to make things right by me but the systemic problems are still the same.

Chuck has been at IU longer than dirt. Like any business, you get people in place for a long time and they get set in their ways. Not saying that is him but anyone who has been embedded in a department for too long, they lose touch and continue the status quo.

I read up until I found out you work for the University, including this, "Was he supposed to haul power washers up 120 rows and start power spraying bird shit everywhere with an hour to kickoff?"...

Sounds like an excuse to me.

You said you've addressed Jeremy Gray directly, correct? What excuses does he give? Why can't Indiana get this right?
Then answer my questions.
When, exactly, did the birds crap on the bleachers and what would have been a reasonable course of action?
Here's a hint- they didn't dump before 9 am because it was raining all morning until then. The rain would have washed it away. That gave him no more than an hour and half (if the birds crapped right at 9) to be informed about it and then power wash a football stadium.
So lay it out for me. When did the birds crap and what should have happened between then and 10:30?

Gray couldn't give me any excuses. He was sincere in his effort to make up for the problem. I don't know why we can't fix it. Probably because we aren't trying.

Chuck has been at IU longer than dirt. Like any business, you get people in place for a long time and they get set in their ways. Not saying that is him but anyone who has been embedded in a department for too long, they lose touch and continue the status quo.
From what I can tell, that's a pretty good description of Chuck Crabb.

Then answer my questions.
When, exactly, did the birds crap on the bleachers and what would have been a reasonable course of action?
Here's a hint- they didn't dump before 9 am because it was raining all morning until then. The rain would have washed it away. That gave him no more than an hour and half (if the birds crapped right at 9) to be informed about it and then power wash a football stadium.
So lay it out for me. When did the birds crap and what should have happened between then and 10:30?

Gray couldn't give me any excuses. He was sincere in his effort to make up for the problem. I don't know why we can't fix it. Probably because we aren't trying.

So then Gray is sincerely not trying? That's encouraging.

How does one make up for the problem?

There probably isn't a good answer for the bleaches. (At least not one that is going to satisfy your acceptance of it) Maybe get all hands on deck up there with some towels and cleaner wiping them off. Ushers, staff, etc. Even if it means doing it while fans are coming in. Improvise, adapt, overcome. It's wasn't all of Memorial Stadium. I know, crazy right?

Get enough people moving in the right direction and I'm sure a little bird shit can be taken care of. Did no one really think of that? Did anyone even care? That seems to be the larger problem here.

Cleaning the bleachers really isn't the issue. A "no comment" from the Athletic Department for the condition they were in and the general lack of interest in making the game day experience better for the paying customer is what the real problem is.

Fred Glass doesn't owe you an apology. Wonderful.

A statement from the Athletic Department would have gone a long way in showing me that someone in there actually cares about the football program and that they're striving to try and make it better. After the past two seasons, I certainly have my doubts.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. I'm definitely not a Glass-hater and I think much of the complaining about him on this board is petty. But the lack of workers at the Bucket game was inexcusable (as was not having the bleachers clean and running out of food) and he owes the fans a public apology.

I'm sure that some of the issues with long security lines and long concession lines was with subcontractors not providing the full quota of workers. Still, that comes back to FG and he should have sent a message to fans that it will not happen again. I'm not part of the "blame Fred for everything" crowd but he has to own it when there are conditions that make the game-day experience poor for those who pay good money to be there.
You know who works the concession stands, right? Volunteer groups. So, they're not professionals, much to my chagrin. But that's the way it is.

As far as running out of 'product', well it's the last game of the year. It is difficult to project sales, particularly if it's a good crowd, like the Bucket was this year. Everyone was predicting low attendance. It wasn't - it was probably the best attended game all year. So, their projections were off. Well, they could order more. Right, and if they ordered more and didn't sell it, they're stuck with that product, and food products have expiration dates. I realize they can take it to sell at Assembly Hall, but that's a pain, too.

Sorry it was closed in 6, but there were plenty others close by that were still open and selling product. And who doesn't expect long lines at Football games?

What if the geese crapped a half hour before game time?

Fred's not got a business pedigree - he's a lawyer. Do you expect your dentist to change your tires?

Fred's not got a business pedigree - he's a lawyer. Do you expect your dentist to change your tires?

It can't be cleaned during the game...?

He's an Athletic Director.

I expect him to direct.

Chuck is too busy managing the Pom Squad......

Well, gee, duh, lets close income opportunities in the stadium for the purdue game??? really?

Edit: Actually what am I thinking??? The closed concessions and gooseshit about sum up the admins general attitude towards IU football.

It can't be cleaned during the game...?

He's an Athletic Director.

I expect him to direct.
Are you sure they didn't? Did they move the people in those areas to different seats? Refund their tickets? Give them free concessions?
Did you sit there? Do you know anyone who sat there? Does anyone here know anyone who was affected? Do you know how Fred Glass actually responded to this or are you just assuming?

Again, my point isn't to defend Glass. He's earned plenty of criticism. My point is show the ludicrousness of this particular complaint because the starting point for the people who've made a big deal of it is "Fred Glass is always wrong."

Reactions: Lillyr66
Are you sure they didn't? Did they move the people in those areas to different seats? Refund their tickets? Give them free concessions?
Did you sit there? Do you know anyone who sat there? Does anyone here know anyone who was affected? Do you know how Fred Glass actually responded to this or are you just assuming?

Again, my point isn't to defend Glass. He's earned plenty of criticism. My point is show the ludicrousness of this particular complaint because the starting point for the people who've made a big deal of it is "Fred Glass is always wrong."

I really wouldn't know.

You're faculty. You tell us. You speak with Jeremy Gray directly. What steps are being taken to identify problems on game day and address them? Does anyone at Indiana even really care about making things better? From your very own posts I'd say the answer is a resounding "No"...

And as I've said numerous times in this very thread, the bleachers aren't the sole problem. It's just part of a larger issue. Concessions, parking, on-the-field product, etc...there are several things the University could be doing better. They aren't. That's the problem.

You must have me mistaken for someone who thinks "Fred Glass is always wrong". Not true at all. I think he's made enough blunders with the revenue-generating programs at Indiana to cost him his job, yes. He's done some things that weren't terrible. But overall he's a very underwhelming Athletic Director. I guess compared to his predecessors he's a a home run though.

As you said, birds crap. You're right, of course. No one can control where, when or how birds crap. They just do, and they do it a lot, especially while migrating in the fall.

The issue is that there was no official response from the AD. Leaders, good leaders, address issues that come up. They acknowledge, address and assuage. The AD has done none of that. A simple statement would suffice. "sorry for the inconvenience, happened right before game time, couldn't be helped, we did our best, moved people, offered free concessions, continue to do our.best, etc". However, fans received nothing, and are upset.

People are upset because they want a REAL football program. They crave it. They want something to be proud of. Unfortunately, the Bucket game was an embarrassment, on many levels. Who can be proud of a program that actively ignores embarrassments issues that go viral on social media nowadays?

Would this happen in Assembly Hall and the AD remain quiet? I think not.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT