ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal ball for Mcculley

I'm not twisting anything. McCulley said his mind wasn't made up until the morning he committed. Therefore, you can say that he was undecided between 2 schools. 1 scholarship filled up. That doesn't sound like he spurned Purdue. Again, nothi g against McCulley. I was hoping he would come to Purdue and most thought Purdue led for him.

As for Jackson, you might be right. Height matters less and less at QB. 4.5 speed. Throws the ball 70 yards. 60% completion last year. It was his first year playing QB. I think it's an intriguing get. I don't think he's instantly moved. Brohm has been wanting to get more mobile at QB. This really isn't a shock that Brohm took the mobile QB.

Just the timing doesn't add up in your favor. Purdue actually offered Jackson before they offered McCulley, as an athlete, the summer after his sophomore year in which he exclusively played WR. He was already committed to Minnesota as an athlete at the time Purdue offered. Jackson moved to QB his junior year and blew up and had a great season. But during this time Brohm was recruiting McCulley the hardest and he may not have even been recruiting Jackson at all as he was committed to Minnesota and was playing QB for the first time. Jackson initially de-committed from Minnesota in January (after a stellar year at QB) in hopes that he would be recruited as a QB by bigger schools. Had that been Brohm's guy all along, he would have promised him a shot a playing QB right then and there. But that obviously didn't happen because Brohm was still recruiting McCulley in full force and Jackson re-committed to Minnesota in April after none of the bigger schools that were recruiting him were willing to let him play QB. Once it became clear McCulley wasn't going to Purdue, Brohm got Jackson to commit by assuring him a chance to play QB.

You aren't going to convince me or any other IU fan that Brohm woke up Wednesday morning and decided to back off the QB he'd been recruiting the hardest and longest to flip a verbal to Minnesota who was recruited to play a different position. Had Jackson been Brohm's guy all along, he would have given him the chance to play QB back in January after he de-committed from Minnesota the first time.

Just the timing doesn't add up in your favor. Purdue actually offered Jackson before they offered McCulley, as an athlete, the summer after his sophomore year in which he exclusively played WR. He was already committed to Minnesota as an athlete at the time Purdue offered. Jackson moved to QB his junior year and blew and had a great season. But during this time Brohm was recruiting McCulley the hardest and he may not have even been recruiting Jackson at all as he was committed to Minnesota and was playing QB for the first time. Jackson initially de-committed from Minnesota in January (after a stellar year at QB) in hopes that he would be recruited as a QB by bigger schools. Had that been Brohm's guy all along, he would have promised him a shot a playing QB right then and there. But that obviously didn't happen because Brohm was still recruiting McCulley in full force and Jackson re-committed to Minnesota in April after none of the bigger schools that were recruiting him were willing to let him play QB. Once it became clear McCulley wasn't going to Purdue, Brohm got Jackson to commit by assuring him a chance to play QB.

You aren't going to convince me or any other IU fan that Brohm woke up Wednesday morning and decided to back off the QB he'd been recruiting the hardest and longest to flip a verbal to Minnesota who was recruited to play a different position. Had Jackson been Brohm's guy all along, he would have given him the chance to play QB back in January after he de-committed from Minnesota the first time.
I don't really care to try and convince you. Pretty sure a rivals national writer said what I said. I'm not sure there is a big difference in the QB's besides height though. I think both are going to be good players.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't really care to try and convince you. Pretty sure a rivals national writer said what I said. I'm not sure there is a big difference in the QB's besides height though. I think both are going to be good players.

You aren't? Because it sure seems like you're trying to paint a picture that Jackson was Purdue's guy all along, which patently isn't the case here. There's not a QB in the 2021 class that Brohm recruited harder and longer than McCulley. I happen to know Pat Mallory fairly well and LN's AD and I go way back, and McCulley was still hearing from Purdue as early as this week.

I hope he's as good as you think he is.

I have doubts.

His passing #s last year weren't those of a big-time college QB. He had a good # of ints. On his film, he tends to put the ball up for grabs without getting his feet set.

I like that he's mobile, and he looks like a legit 6'5". As a runner, however, I don't think he's all that elusive or strong (for his size).

He's not a kid that the OSUs, Michigans, and NDs were recruiting...final 4 of IU, Purdue, Mo, Ole Miss?? Good.....but big-time?

I do think his commit will help with the rest of the class, and I'm glad for that.

There is rarely a sure thing in college recruiting, especially for schools that don't enjoy getting 5* players. QBs with both a cannon arm and RB level mobility are few and far between and the IU's of the world and unlikely to see those prospects.

I think you're being a bit negative towards McCulley. He is a good prospect that has a strong arm and mobile enough to escape the pocket and extend plays. This seems to be what IU is going after with QBs.

What IU needs to do is have many good QB prospects and thereby increasing the chances they will always have one that turns into a good starter. Even if McCulley doesn't pan out, we still have other good options in Tuttle and Williams (once Penix leaves or graduates)

You aren't? Because it sure seems like you're trying to paint a picture that Jackson was Purdue's guy all along, which patently isn't the case here. There's not a QB in the 2021 class that Brohm recruited harder and longer than McCulley. I happen to know Pat Mallory fairly well and LN's AD and I go way back, and McCulley was still hearing from Purdue as early as this week.

Purdue would have been more than happy to take McCulley and move the loser of the competition to another position. Although they also may have realized they weren't getting McCulley so they took Jackson. McCulley may have told coaches of all his finalists prior to going public with his verbal.

Purdue would have been more than happy to take McCulley and move the loser of the competition to another position. Although they also may have realized they weren't getting McCulley so they took Jackson. McCulley may have told coaches of all his finalists prior to going public with his verbal.

Absolutely. And Jackson wasn't flipping from Minnesota to Purdue to play anything other than QB. Purdue assured Jackson a spot to play QB once it became clear McCulley was choosing elsewhere. Brohm didn't wake up one morning and decide he was no longer interested in McCulley. In fact it was likely the opposite and Brohm needed to go in another direction.

The PU kid who is 5 '10 sounds like an incredible athlete and yes maybe "Kyler Murray" esque. But similar to Reese Taylor, Mr. Football of IN and maybe 5'11, it's not the norm anymore to have short QB's. This kid may light it up at PU and be special, but I'd think there are decent odds he ends up at RB, WR or DB too in long run (50/50?) McCulley is likely 95+% sure to stick at QB given his size, mobility, etc. I hope Penix is at IU at least 2 more seasons, allowing McCully to RS and have a shot at being a 3-4 yr starter. I also hope he's the start of more top caliber IN HS FB players staying in state at IU!

There is rarely a sure thing in college recruiting, especially for schools that don't enjoy getting 5* players. QBs with both a cannon arm and RB level mobility are few and far between and the IU's of the world and unlikely to see those prospects.

I think you're being a bit negative towards McCulley. He is a good prospect that has a strong arm and mobile enough to escape the pocket and extend plays. This seems to be what IU is going after with QBs.

What IU needs to do is have many good QB prospects and thereby increasing the chances they will always have one that turns into a good starter. Even if McCulley doesn't pan out, we still have other good options in Tuttle and Williams (once Penix leaves or graduates)

I really like his height, and he has good straight-ahead speed. Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's a bit rough around the edges now, but with a high ceiling. Penix was rated about where DM is, but I think Penix seemed underrated, DM a bit overrated. I think Penix was the better runner, the more accurate passer, and had better footwork when passing.

I hope DM is a patient guy. He could be very good by the time he's a jr.

The thing I like best about the DM commitment is his possible effect on other Indiana and national recruits.

I never said Brohm wasn't recruiting him. Or didn't heavily recruit him. But obviously Brohm thought Jackson and McCulley were close in talent and took the bird in hand.

I never said Brohm wasn't recruiting him. Or didn't heavily recruit him. But obviously Brohm thought Jackson and McCulley were close in talent and took the bird in hand.

Brohm took the only one he could take. McCulley saw himself at IU. I posted his quotes in this thread already, but I'll post them again because they're awesome to read:

IN HIS WORDS

“I want to represent my home state and I want to do that at Indiana. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I have always known that was the school for me, and today I just decided to (commit).

“I love the way their program is run, and I feel coach Allen is a rare coach. You don’t come across a coach like him often. He’s all about caring for his players and love.”

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Brohm took the only one he could take. McCulley saw himself at IU. I posted his quotes in this thread already, but I'll post them again because they're awesome to read:

IN HIS WORDS

“I want to represent my home state and I want to do that at Indiana. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I have always known that was the school for me, and today I just decided to (commit).

“I love the way their program is run, and I feel coach Allen is a rare coach. You don’t come across a coach like him often. He’s all about caring for his players and love.”
Of course he is going to say that though... I'm sure Sam Jackson said that about Minny twice.... You're not gonna change my mind that height is the only big difference between them. Peace! Fun talking with y'all!

IN HIS WORDS

I did the dirty and went to see what the general take was on this over in "IU Sucks!!" land.

The primary theory is that McCulley "settled" for IU as a "safety school" because his options were drying up when Iowa and PU (where he wanted to play) both took a better QBs. McCulley will decommit as soon as he can.

Other tremendous takes were that IU paid him and that Jackson; the 5' 10" 3* will be the "mirror image" of ARE, and McCulley could develop to be good, but only if he were coached by the Brohm's.

So we apparently got last pick. Darn it.

I did the dirty and went to see what the general take was on this over in "IU Sucks!!" land.

The primary theory is that McCulley "settled" for IU as a "safety school" because his options were drying up when Iowa and PU (where he wanted to play) both took a better QBs. McCulley will decommit as soon as he can.

Other tremendous takes were that IU paid him and that Jackson; the 5' 10" 3* will be the "mirror image" of ARE, and McCulley could develop to be good, but only if he were coached by the Brohm's.

So we apparently got last pick. Darn it.
Both QB's seem to be low floor, high ceiling guys. Its pretty hard to say one will be better than the other at this point... All I know is Purdue took their QB and he looks like he has a ton of potential.

Both QB's seem to be low floor, high ceiling guys. Its pretty hard to say one will be better than the other at this point... All I know is Purdue took their QB and he looks like he has a ton of potential.

Indeed, this latest ARE has huge upside particularly considering he will be coached by the Brohm's. If only McCulley could be coached by the Brohm's IU would be in much better shape.

By “bird in the hand”, you mean the only one of the two he could get because he knew McCulley was going to IU. I realize that in the eyes of PU fans they have never lost a recruiting battle to IU, newsflash, PU lost this one. That is not to say Jackson won’t end up being a good qb, he may, or he may end up a slot receiver only time will tell.
So if, and I mean if because nothing is done , if Sales commits to IU please don’t come over here to tell us you got a commitment from some other slug and and backed off Sales. If he commits to PU , I have no problem saying we lost that battle, just as with David Bell, we lost that battle. It’s ok for you PU fans to admit you lost a recruiting battle to IU.

By “bird in the hand”, you mean the only one of the two he could get because he knew McCulley was going to IU. I realize that in the eyes of PU fans they have never lost a recruiting battle to IU, newsflash, PU lost this one. That is not to say Jackson won’t end up being a good qb, he may, or he may end up a slot receiver only time will tell.
So if, and I mean if because nothing is done , if Sales commits to IU please don’t come over here to tell us you got a commitment from some other slug and and backed off Sales. If he commits to PU , I have no problem saying we lost that battle, just as with David Bell, we lost that battle. It’s ok for you PU fans to admit you lost a recruiting battle to IU.

I’ll concede McCulley. Will do the same if we lose Sales too. You guys getting McCulley should make it that much easier for us to land Brady Allen so that could end up working out well for us in the long run.

I’ll concede McCulley. Will do the same if we lose Sales too. You guys getting McCulley should make it that much easier for us to land Brady Allen so that could end up working out well for us in the long run.
Maybe, but as they say, if a QB is afraid to go to a school because of the guys already there, then he might not be that great. And if you truly believe the “gap” between McCulley and Jackson is small, then your argument about Allen goes out the window.

Just the timing doesn't add up in your favor. Purdue actually offered Jackson before they offered McCulley, as an athlete, the summer after his sophomore year in which he exclusively played WR. He was already committed to Minnesota as an athlete at the time Purdue offered. Jackson moved to QB his junior year and blew up and had a great season. But during this time Brohm was recruiting McCulley the hardest and he may not have even been recruiting Jackson at all as he was committed to Minnesota and was playing QB for the first time. Jackson initially de-committed from Minnesota in January (after a stellar year at QB) in hopes that he would be recruited as a QB by bigger schools. Had that been Brohm's guy all along, he would have promised him a shot a playing QB right then and there. But that obviously didn't happen because Brohm was still recruiting McCulley in full force and Jackson re-committed to Minnesota in April after none of the bigger schools that were recruiting him were willing to let him play QB. Once it became clear McCulley wasn't going to Purdue, Brohm got Jackson to commit by assuring him a chance to play QB.

You aren't going to convince me or any other IU fan that Brohm woke up Wednesday morning and decided to back off
the QB he'd been recruiting the hardest and longest to flip a verbal to Minnesota who was recruited to play a different position. Had Jackson been Brohm's guy all along, he would have given him the chance to play QB back in January after he de-committed from Minnesota the first time.

You might be overlooking that decisions about a future quarterback might not be as obvious as you seem to believe.

It does seem that Purdue has never lost a recruiting battle to Indiana. They always seem to drop those guys right before they commit or else find a guy they like better it is uncanny. Outside their wide receivers ok don't predisposition that they can say they are lights out better than us.

Reactions: Andy06
You might be overlooking that decisions about a future quarterback might not be as obvious as you seem to believe.

You're right... For instance..., your 6 million $ hero, Brohmardi, is clearly projecting that his OL will continue to be pathetic over the long haul so it makes sense for him to go with a short, fast, option QB (Jackson) who can scramble himself out of trouble versus our prototype future pro who our coach projects will get enough OL help to be able to throw downfield (McCulley)...

Last edited:
I'm not sure you are right on McCulley from what I have heard. If Sale goes to iu, it would be a loss. Sales has almost committed to Purdue a couple times already, but decided to wait. Let's not sit here and act like I say that about every recruit....

You're right... For instance..., your 6 million $ hero, Brohmardi, is clearly projecting that his OL will continue to be pathetic over the long haul so it makes sense for him to go with a short, fast, option QB (Jackson) who can scramble himself out of trouble versus our prototype future pro who our coach projects will get enough OL help to be able to throw downfield (McCulley)...
This is quite the take. OL won't be an issue for Purdue this year and Jackson can throw the ball 70 yards in the air. Jackson is just super raw having only played QB for 1 year.

This is quite the take. OL won't be an issue for Purdue this year and Jackson can throw the ball 70 yards in the air. Jackson is just super raw having only played QB for 1 year.

Keep telling yourself that about your OL... If you wish Really hard maybe it'll come true...

It does seem that Purdue has never lost a recruiting battle to Indiana. They always seem to drop those guys right before they commit or else find a guy they like better it is uncanny. Outside their wide receivers ok don't predisposition that they can say they are lights out better than us.

This has been IU's recruiting strategy for decades. Follow Purdue recruiting closely and the moment they lose interest in a player...pounce!

Eventually the plyers get over having to settle for IU once they realize they would have never seen the dusty field in WL much less make the travel roster.

Keep telling yourself that about your OL... If you wish Really hard maybe it'll come true...
How will it not be better? Since you seem to be all knowing. It really wasn't awful to end the year last year.

The next ARE I tells ya!
I've never said this. I've only said that I think the two guys are pretty comparable in talent with the biggest difference being one is 6'5. McCulley is taller. I was thinking I saw Jackson had the bigger arm. Might be wrong though. Both super athletic. It's going to be fun to watch them in a few years. Would be really excited to watch McCulley under Deboer. Dude was good.

I'm not sure you are right on McCulley from what I have heard. If Sale goes to iu, it would be a loss. Sales has almost committed to Purdue a couple times already, but decided to wait. Let's not sit here and act like I say that about every recruit....
I’m sure I’m correct about McCulley, based on what I know. What you “heard” about Sales is off the PU propaganda site, which also said McCulley was going your way, right up until he wasn’t.

I’m sure I’m correct about McCulley, based on what I know. What you “heard” about Sales is off the PU propaganda site, which also said McCulley was going your way, right up until he wasn’t.
Yup. You're right.... You caught my sources and everything they say is incredibly wrong. Way off point. I guess at this point, there is nothing out there that says we're Sales is going.

Lets play hypothetical since there is no way either of us can prove our points. Let's say McCulley chose IU over Purdue. So Purdue took Jackson. Darn. Both teams got really good QB's. Am I wrong?

How utterly absurd a comment. I understand your disdain for Purdue but are you willing to sacrifice common sense and some basic football knowledge for your Uber dislike of all things Purdue. Forgetting for a moment that Len Dawson, Bob Griese and Drew Brees (4 Super Bowl wins, two HOF’ers and a third surefire future member) we’re all 6 foot, or less, consider Russell Wilson of Seattle (one Super Bowl) and Kyler Murray of Phoenix (2019 NFL Offensive Rookie of the year) are both sub six feet. Without doing a complete analysis do not forget Fran Tarkenton who was also 6 foot or less. The only thing prototypical about NFL quarterbacks is they come in all colors, sizes and skill sets and suggesting otherwise fails to hold up when placed to the facts test.

How utterly absurd a comment. I understand your disdain for Purdue but are you willing to sacrifice common sense and some basic football knowledge for your Uber dislike of all things Purdue. Forgetting for a moment that Len Dawson, Bob Griese and Drew Brees (4 Super Bowl wins, two HOF’ers and a third surefire future member) we’re all 6 foot, or less, consider Russell Wilson of Seattle (one Super Bowl) and Kyler Murray of Phoenix (2019 NFL Offensive Rookie of the year) are both sub six feet. Without doing a complete analysis do not forget Fran Tarkenton who was also 6 foot or less. The only thing prototypical about NFL quarterbacks is they come in all colors, sizes and skill sets and suggesting otherwise fails to hold up when placed to the facts test.

Did that sad baffle em with BS attempt help your OL recruiting get better? Didn't think so...

There's a reason your hero has said he's moving to more option football and it's not because he's suddenly found the ingredients for a great OL...

I'm still laughing about how Brohmardi fleeced you jokers.

You should have used some of that $ for a safe field..

Here's your hero in action::

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ord-points-music-city-bowl-purdue/2434646002/

Could have been a hundred if Auburn hadn't called off the dogs...

Looking forward to watching a couple of your thirty WR's attempting to play OL...

You'd better hope they call off the season...

Of course he is going to say that though... I'm sure Sam Jackson said that about Minny twice.... You're not gonna change my mind that height is the only big difference between them. Peace! Fun talking with y'all!

Jackson will be playing WR for Purdue.

Reactions: boston jamie

This Jackson kid is the next Brees, Dawson, Tarkenton, or Wilson huh? Got it.

Reactions: Chriselli
Did that sad baffle em with BS attempt help your OL recruiting get better? Didn't think so...

There's a reason your hero has said he's moving to more option football and it's not because he's suddenly found the ingredients for a great OL...

I'm still laughing about how Brohmardi fleeced you jokers.

You should have used some of that $ for a safe field..

Here's your hero in action::

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ord-points-music-city-bowl-purdue/2434646002/

Could have been a hundred if Auburn hadn't called off the dogs...

Looking forward to watching a couple of your thirty WR's attempting to play OL...

You'd better hope they call off the season...
I didn't realize purdues OL recruiting was bad? Post Penn State, the oline was decent last year and started 3 underclassman. You would expect it to struggle....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT