ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal ball for Mcculley

As I stated above, Tuttle was a highly rated 4* and had offers from everybody, including Bama. He made the Elite 11 as a senior as well. That's for the top 11 QB's in the nation. There's nobody on PU's roster that was as highly rated coming out of HS.
Idc how highly rated he was. It's all about performance and abilities at the college level for me. Tuttle hasn't proven anything. Plummer has. Plummer also had some pretty major offers. I believe Stanford and Michigan were trying to flip him. Like I said, Tuttle might be really good, but he hasn't proven anything but be a 4 star transfer.

Idc how highly rated he was. It's all about performance and abilities at the college level for me. Tuttle hasn't proven anything. Plummer has. Plummer also had some pretty major offers. I believe Stanford and Michigan were trying to flip him. Like I said, Tuttle might be really good, but he hasn't proven anything but be a 4 star transfer.

What has Plummer actually proven? Yeah he has more game experience than Tuttle I won't argue that, but would argue he doesn't have anywhere near the talent that Tuttle has.

You're way off base. Tuttle was higher rated out of HS than every QB on your roster.

Rankings don’t matter once you get to college. Rondale was a 3* for crying out loud yet has played like a 5*. Tuttle has proven nothing. Could he be good? Sure. But I’m not taking him over Plummer or O’Connell.

Reactions: Chriselli

Plummer wouldn't sniff the field at IU and he'd be competing for the 3rd string backup role. Your WR's are good enough to make any QB look good, but Plummer's not been that impressive. 11 TD's and 8 picks isn't great.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...es-Penn-State-Nebraska-144276988/#144276988_4

Rankings don’t matter once you get to college. Rondale was a 3* for crying out loud yet has played like a 5*. Tuttle has proven nothing. Could he be good? Sure. But I’m not taking him over Plummer or O’Connell.

Tuttle would absolutely be in the hunt for Purdue's starting QB battle if he was on that roster. If Plummer or O'Connell (a walk-on) were at Indiana, the only way either sniff the field is if Penix gets hurt. To act like Purdue has a much better QB situation than IU is laughable. They have a lot of guys who haven't really proven a damn thing.

What has Plummer actually proven? Yeah he has more game experience than Tuttle I won't argue that, but would argue he doesn't have anywhere near the talent that Tuttle has.
What do you not like about Plummer? Can I ask?

Neither of us have any idea what Tuttle would do. Don’t be foolish. Also, the 11/8 would look a lot better if he had been throwing to Rondale.

He'd do a lot better than 11/8. He was higher rated, has a stronger arm, and has better measurables. If we didn't have an absolute stud at QB in Penix, Tuttle would be starting and I'd be very happy with that. Tuttle is a major talent and would beat out Plummer.

McCulley is 6'5, Jackson is 5'10. Jackson is a good enough athlete that he'll be on the field somewhere. Will it be at QB? Who know. But he doesn't really fit the bill for a Brohm QB.
Ya. I can agree that he doesn't look like a Brohm QB. Brohm has been trying hard for a dual threat guy though. Tried to get one out of Texas last year. McCulley was QB1 for Purdue I think. Have to assume Jackson was QB2.

Reactions: red hornet
Ya. I can agree that he doesn't look like a Brohm QB. Brohm has been trying hard for a dual threat guy though. Tried to get one out of Texas last year. McCulley was QB1 for Purdue I think. Have to assume Jackson was QB2.

Even if he doesn't end up behind center, he's too good of an athlete and ball player not to be playing elsewhere.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's not that I don't like him, but he's nowhere near as good as Penix. Not a great decision maker, average arm, etc. He's a solid back up at this stage in his career.
I wouldn't say he was a bad decision maker. He was a freshman playing in an super young offense with a below average oline that featured 3 underclassman starters. His first two games were the defenses of TCU, where he knew 2 days before the game he was starting, and PSU. Not really what you want your freshman QB playing against in his first 2. PSU sacked him 10 times. He has a good, not great arm. Needs some work, but it's not like he came is as the next coming of Trevor Lawrence. His ceiling is high imo. Just needs developed. I never said he was as good as Penix. I think he has the potential to be, but he isn't.

As Plummer settled in and didn't have constant turnover on offense, he started to play a lot better. I'm guessing he wins the starting job this year and looks much better.

Even if he doesn't end up behind center, he's too good of an athlete and ball player not to be playing elsewhere.
I won't dispute this at all. I made the comment above that both him and McCulley were being recruited as athletes to different schools, so if they don't develop at QB, it doesn't mean they won't be major contributor's.

McCulley has always been my #1 wish for this class! Close this guy CTA!

I hope he's as good as you think he is.

I have doubts.

His passing #s last year weren't those of a big-time college QB. He had a good # of ints. On his film, he tends to put the ball up for grabs without getting his feet set.

I like that he's mobile, and he looks like a legit 6'5". As a runner, however, I don't think he's all that elusive or strong (for his size).

He's not a kid that the OSUs, Michigans, and NDs were recruiting...final 4 of IU, Purdue, Mo, Ole Miss?? Good.....but big-time?

I do think his commit will help with the rest of the class, and I'm glad for that.

Because you don't see a lot of 5'10" 170 lbs QBs in the BT.

Minnesota wasn't recruiting him for the position.
You don't, but the smaller QB's are becoming more and more normal in the pros and college ranks. We shall see. I'd take a good DB right now. Lol

I hope he's as good as you think he is.

I have doubts.

His passing #s last year weren't those of a big-time college QB. He had a good # of ints. On his film, he tends to put the ball up for grabs without getting his feet set.

I like that he's mobile, and he looks like a legit 6'5". As a runner, however, I don't think he's all that elusive or strong (for his size).

He's not a kid that the OSUs, Michigans, and NDs were recruiting...final 4 of IU, Purdue, Mo, Ole Miss?? Good.....but big-time?

I do think his commit will help with the rest of the class, and I'm glad for that.

Huh??? :confused::confused:

"McCulley threw for 1,958 yards with 17 touchdowns and just three interceptions while completing 62.5 percent of his passes last season. He also ran for 563 yards and two touchdowns."

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/2021-four-star-qb-donaven-mcculley-commits-to-iu

He's rated #210 overall and is the #7 dual threat QB on Rivals.

SCOUTING REPORT

"The first chance I had to see McCulley throw live was at the Rivals Camp in Cincinnati toward the end of his sophomore year, and I came away super impressed with his arm talent. Although he still needed some polishing, McCulley showed that day – throwing alongside fellow four-stars like J.J. McCarthy and Chase Harrison -
that he was capable of making all the throws. He threw with touch, he threw with velocity, he was impressively accurate on most of his throws and he showed the promise to be one of the country’s top quarterback prospects in the 2021 class based on arm talent alone. However, McCulley also is an outstanding athlete who proved this past season that he can hurt defenses with his legs as well, rushing for 563 yards to go with his 1,958 passing yards. That tall, lean frame making defenders miss in the open field reminds me of being a kid watching Randall Cunningham glide across the old Veteran’s Stadium turf. McCulley may not quite be on Cunningham’s level of elusiveness, but he is a true dual-threat at the quarterback position."

-Josh Helmholdt

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/four-star-qb-donaven-mcculley-stays-home-commits-to-iu

I’m going to end this debate.

Penix, is far and away, the best QB between these two teams. There is a reason he’s on Heisman watch lists. After Fields, he may be the 2nd best QB in the Conference. Tuttle is extremely talented. He would start for several Big Ten teams. Williams is a dynamic freshman. Plummer will be a solid QB at Purdue but please miss me with the O’Connell crap. That guy is pitiful.

RB isn’t close either. Scott and James are upper tier backs. Purdue has a nice freshman coming in.

TE is definitely IU. Hendershot is one of the best TEs in the country.

WR I will give to Purdue. Moore and Bell are special. But Philyor is an All Big Ten WR and Fryfogle is solid. IU is close to PU in WR talent.

OL is IU. I laughed when Boiler said he’d take Hermmanns over Bedford. Bedford will be a high draft pick when he’s eligible. He’s super athletic. A huge steal for Tom Allen. Harry Crider, Dylan Powell, and Caleb Jones are really solid guys. Like Purdue, we don’t get much deeper than about 8 or 9 guys.

Penix, is far and away, the best QB between these two teams. There is a reason he’s on Heisman watch lists. After Fields, he may be the 2nd best QB in the Conference. Tuttle is extremely talented. He would start for several Big Ten teams. Williams is a dynamic freshman. Plummer will be a solid QB at Purdue but please miss me with the O’Connell crap. That guy is pitiful.

RB isn’t close either. Scott and James are upper tier backs. Purdue has a nice freshman coming in.

WR I will give to Purdue. Moore and Bell are special. But Philyor is an All Big Ten WR and Fryfogle is solid. IU is close to PU in WR talent.

OL is IU. I laughed when Boiler said he’d take Hermmanns over Bedford. Bedford will be a high draft pick when he’s eligible. He’s super athletic. A huge steal for Tom Allen. Harry Crider, Dylan Powell, and Caleb Jones are really solid guys. Like Purdue, we don’t get much deeper than about 8 or 9 guys.

If O’Connell is pitiful, how did he carve up your defense so easily? And no, IU isn’t close to Purdue in talent at the WR position. Whop is good but he’d be our 3rd best WR. Then you throw in guys like Milton Wright, TJ Sheffield, Mershawn Rice, and both of our incoming freshmen who are both ranked higher than Rashawn Williams. It’s not really that close.

But that doesn't really end the debate. You say Tuttle is talented, but what has he proven? He couldn't beat out Ramsey last year and while Ramsey is good, I wouldn't call him extremely talented. Never heard of Williams for iu.

I gave iu Scott. He's really good. You can't possibly tell me James is better than Dorue though?

Is hendershot gonna play? If so, TE goes to iu. Purdue has some guys, but unproven.

WR. IU has some serious talent, but their 1 and 2 would be 3 and 4 at Purdue. But that's not a discredit to them. Whop is a phenomenal player.

OL. Give me a senior LT that has been a rock for 3 years. Bedford might be good, but I like upperclassmen on the oline. That's the issue Purdue had last year. To young on the oline.

My biggest curiosity for the iu offense is what it looks like and how productive it is without Deboer. Dude changed that offense for the better.

I don't understand the Tuttle love myself. I agree that I think Penix might be the second best college quarterback in the B1G and possibly the best pro prospect QB in the conference as well. Among Indiana and Purdue's other quarterbacks, I think a reasonable argument could be made for any of them.

As for WR...I think Bell and Moore are awesome, but Indiana's WRs are special as well - and Hendershot is a beast at TE. I would rather have Purdue's WR, but any quarterback would be lucky to have either group.

If I drafted:
1. Penix
2. Moore
3. Bell
4. Bedford
5. Hendershot

OL. Give me a senior LT that has been a rock for 3 years. Bedford might be good, but I like upperclassmen on the oline. That's the issue Purdue had last year. To young on the oline.

Put it this way. Coy Cronk, a 4 year starter who was an all-conference LT transferred out of the program because he wasn’t going to beat out Matthew Bedford. Calling Hermanns a “rock” as he anchored one of the worst offensive line units in P5 football isn’t much of a compliment.

Put it this way. Coy Cronk, a 4 year starter who was an all-conference LT transferred out of the program because he wasn’t going to beat out Matthew Bedford. Calling Hermanns a “rock” as he anchored one of the worst offensive line units in P5 football isn’t much of a compliment.
Takes 5 guys to make an oline. Hermanns was the only one. They were a lot better by the end of the year as well. I don't think Hermanns gave up a sack last year.

Lol ain't that the truth. Purdue should have a really good Dline. But after that, the defense has a ton of question marks. I'd probably say Purdue has the better O, but the worse D. Thoughts?
I don’t know how you think Purdue has better offense? They have the advantage at one maybe two at wide receiver and possibly tight end if Hendershot does not return. Not close at offensive line not close at quarterback or running back. You also get advantage at playcaller now Sheridan is an unknown but believe he has solid foundation to build upon.

I think you got a future very good slot receiver today...Just saying.
He will get his shot at QB. He's only played QB for 1 year in high school and he looks to have so really good attributes. If not, hopefully DB over slot receiver. WR is deep.

Nothing. Against McCulley, but I don't think Brohm would take a QB in what now looks like a 1 QB class to move him to WR. Especially when you were sitting well with McCulley and had a chance. Brohm obviously views Jackson as comparable to McCulley and took the bird in hand at the risk of pushing McCulley to IU. That seems to have happened. It's a good get for iu, but also Purdue. Jacksons tape looks outstanding.

Last edited:
I don’t know how you think Purdue has better offense? They have the advantage at one maybe two at wide receiver and possibly tight end if Hendershot does not return. Not close at offensive line not close at quarterback or running back. You also get advantage at playcaller now Sheridan is an unknown but believe he has solid foundation to build upon.
I think iu has better players in most positions, but I don't think the Purdue offense is far behind. I do think the Purdue offense is more explosive and Brohm is the better play caller. Makes a huge advantage. A guy like Rondale means so much to the offense. There is a reason he is a preseason All-American by some publications.

Danny Etling and/or Austin Appleby were elite 11 I believe. Ratings don't mean the world. Especially this year and next. You will have more guys over and underrated than years prior.

Danny Etling and Austin Appleby started at major college football programs after they transferred. Wasn't their fault they received inept coaching while at Purdue.

Danny Etling and Austin Appleby started at major college football programs after they transferred. Wasn't their fault they received inept coaching while at Purdue.
Must be feeling generous this morning. Quite the complement for Hazell.... Lol

He will get his shot at QB. He's only played QB for 1 year in high school and he looks to have so really good attributes. If not, hopefully DB over slot receiver. WR is deep.

Nothing. Against McCulley, but I don't think Brohm would take a QB in what now looks like a 1 QB class to move him to WR. Especially when you were sitting well with McCulley and had a chance. Brohm obviously views Jackson as comparable to McCulley and took the bird in hand at the risk of pushing McCulley to IU. That seems to have happened. It's a good get for iu, but also Purdue. Jacksons tape looks outstanding.
Good attributes? He's 5'10 and played in chaos offense. McCulley is 6'5, 195. He's got prototypical size, terrific arm strength and improving touch. Jackson is a dynamic athlete, but that doesn't make him a sure fire lock @ QB when everyone in college is a good athlete. Jackson is the polar opposite of the QB's Brohm has had in his career. He wanted Jackson on campus so he sold him as a QB. I'm not saying Jackson won't be Kyler Murray or be an awesome, small college QB or that McCulley won't be a WR, but McCulley has all the measurables and arm talent to remain at QB, whereas, I think, Jackson should be a dynamic slot guy. Jackson's tape isn't more impressive than Reece Taylor and his numbers are worse. We know where Reece ended up.

To me it's similar to the La'Darius Jefferson recruitment a couple years back. We were recruiting him @ QB, MSU came in and said we'll take you as a QB and give you a shot (home town school). Everyone knew they would move him to RB as soon as he stepped on campus. He committed. Was immediately moved to RB and is now at Western Michigan.

You and your ilk do have something against anyone who appears to spurn PU to go to IU. You twist it to sound like you backed off or you went in another direction.

Good attributes? He's 5'10 and played in chaos offense. McCulley is 6'5, 195. He's got prototypical size, terrific arm strength and improving touch. Jackson is a dynamic athlete, but that doesn't make him a sure fire lock @ QB when everyone in college is a good athlete. Jackson is the polar opposite of the QB's Brohm has had in his career. He wanted Jackson on campus so he sold him as a QB. I'm not saying Jackson won't be Kyler Murray or be an awesome, small college QB or that McCulley won't be a WR, but McCulley has all the measurables and arm talent to remain at QB, whereas, I think, Jackson should be a dynamic slot guy. Jackson's tape isn't more impressive than Reece Taylor and his numbers are worse. We know where Reece ended up.

To me it's similar to the La'Darius Jefferson recruitment a couple years back. We were recruiting him @ QB, MSU came in and said we'll take you as a QB and give you a shot (home town school). Everyone knew they would move him to RB as soon as he stepped on campus. He committed. Was immediately moved to RB and is now at Western Michigan.

You and your ilk do have something against anyone who appears to spurn PU to go to IU. You twist it to sound like you backed off or you went in another direction.
I'm not twisting anything. McCulley said his mind wasn't made up until the morning he committed. Therefore, you can say that he was undecided between 2 schools. 1 scholarship filled up. That doesn't sound like he spurned Purdue. Again, nothi g against McCulley. I was hoping he would come to Purdue and most thought Purdue led for him.

As for Jackson, you might be right. Height matters less and less at QB. 4.5 speed. Throws the ball 70 yards. 60% completion last year. It was his first year playing QB. I think it's an intriguing get. I don't think he's instantly moved. Brohm has been wanting to get more mobile at QB. This really isn't a shock that Brohm took the mobile QB.

I'm not twisting anything. McCulley said his mind wasn't made up until the morning he committed. Therefore, you can say that he was undecided between 2 schools. 1 scholarship filled up. That doesn't sound like he spurned Purdue. Again, nothi g against McCulley. I was hoping he would come to Purdue and most thought Purdue led for him.

As for Jackson, you might be right. Height matters less and less at QB. 4.5 speed. Throws the ball 70 yards. 60% completion last year. It was his first year playing QB. I think it's an intriguing get. I don't think he's instantly moved. Brohm has been wanting to get more mobile at QB. This really isn't a shock that Brohm took the mobile QB.
Who is most? He was an IU lean per the national and regional 247 guys (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying that).

For the record, I absolutely love Jackson. I think he's going to be special, I just don't think it will be at QB, or if it is, he's going to need 2-3 years of work at the position before he's fully acclimated.

More BS from our boiler lurkers. Here's what he really said:

IN HIS WORDS

“I want to represent my home state and I want to do that at Indiana. I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I have always known that was the school for me, and today I just decided to (commit).

“I love the way their program is run, and I feel coach Allen is a rare coach. You don’t come across a coach like him often. He’s all about caring for his players and love.”

IU was the 1st P5 offer he received and was always on him the hardest. Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of his IU offer. IU has gone through 3 OC's during his recruitment and was still able to close the deal.

Who is most? He was an IU lean per the national and regional 247 guys (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying that).

For the record, I absolutely love Jackson. I think he's going to be special, I just don't think it will be at QB, or if it is, he's going to need 2-3 years of work at the position before he's fully acclimated.
Rivals had McCulley a Purdue lean. Interesting that 247 had IU. I sounds like he was truely undecided.

I'm not saying Jackson is an instant impact. I'd guess the fastest way to the field for him is DB. QB has some young, intriguing options and WR is 8 deep after once you get past rondale and Bell type talents. Maybe we will have a big ten classic in a few years. Jackson vs McCulley!

Reactions: boston jamie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT