ADVERTISEMENT

Crossroads Classic Ends after this season

You said he was allegedly upset that Purdue wasn't recruiting him harder.

Neubart regularly downplays Purdue's interest in recruits after it's clear Purdue isn't going to land them. Just off the top of my head, he's done it with Romeo, TJD, Armaan Josh Sale, and Donaven McCulley. Those are just IU recruits as well. He's more of a fan than he is a journalist, and you can see that in his writing and opinions.
Well. Not exactly. Purdue didn't recruit Romeo. That's not downplaying. Purdue wanted Sales, but he went to iu. Purdue wanted Armaan, but he wasn't going to play with Newman, who was going to Purdue. McCulley went to iu after Purdue took Jackson. (You can say it was the other way around, but you have no more proof than I do). Most thought Purdue lead with McCulley up to that point though.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Ope. I literally answered the one question you asked. You said "Agree or Disagree" and I clearly answered that. You aren't the smartest Purdue fan I've ever come across.
I missed that part because you immediately went back to the NBA, which didn't apply in my question. But also kind of disproved your own point of Painter being unable to develop NBA talent by essentially saying Painter hasn't had NBA athletes and bodies like Dipo and Anunoby. Which, he hasn't.

Also didn't touch on how you know Terry Johnson has never landed a recruit as an assistant.

It’s actually crazy to me you were able to convince a woman (allegedly) to marry you. A Purdue grad no less … I’d love to sit down and have a beer with your dumbass to see if it’s real or one big character for the message boards. @NC_Trojan10 give it a rest. Jesus…

Well. Not exactly. Purdue didn't recruit Romeo. That's not downplaying. Purdue wanted Sales, but he went to iu. Purdue wanted Armaan, but he wasn't going to play with Newman, who was going to Purdue. McCulley went to iu after Purdue took Jackson. (You can say it was the other way around, but you have no more proof than I do). Most thought Purdue lead with McCulley up to that point though.
Laughable all around. Painter offered Romeo and even attended a couple of his AAU events. Painter stopped recruiting him shortly after when he saw it was a lost cause.

Painter rubbed the Franklin's the wrong way by bringing him and Newman on an official visit together even though they made it clear they didn't want to go to the same school. That pushed Franklin to IU. Newman had no other options after IU pulled their offer.

McCulley was not scared of a 3* "QB" who will likely never play the position in college. He let Purdue's staff know he was committing to IU the following day, and Purdue called and pressured Minnesota's WR commit to come play QB at Purdue and he jumped on it. And then subsequently spurned Purdue for a better program.

Most didn't think Purdue lead for McCulley up until that point. Neubert did. Just as he did for Jalen Washington, Zeke Njani, Armaan Franklin, Jaren Jackson Jr, Josh Sales, ect....

Reactions: brianiu
I missed that part because you immediately went back to the NBA, which didn't apply in my question. But also kind of disproved your own point of Painter being unable to develop NBA talent by essentially saying Painter hasn't had NBA athletes and bodies like Dipo and Anunoby. Which, he hasn't.

Also didn't touch on how you know Terry Johnson has never landed a recruit as an assistant.
Why hasn't Painter recruited NBA type athletes? You would think after getting smoked in the Sweet 16 by athletic teams over and over again, he would learn to change his style.

Maybe you don't know this, but 247 has a DB of who an assistant coach has landed in their career. Terry Johnson's is empty. That goes right along with what OSU and Butler fans have stated when he left. He didn't even recruit off campus at OSU lol.

It’s actually crazy to me you were able to convince a woman (allegedly) to marry you. A Purdue grad no less … I’d love to sit down and have a beer with your dumbass to see if it’s real or one big character for the message boards. @NC_Trojan10 give it a rest. Jesus…
Obviously I'm not as persistent or over the top with my Purdue hatred outside message boards. Two of my groomsmen and their wives are also Purdue alums.

Maybe we can play Kampen one of these days.

Laughable all around. Painter offered Romeo and even attended a couple of his AAU events. Painter stopped recruiting him shortly after when he saw it was a lost cause.

Painter rubbed the Franklin's the wrong way by bringing him and Newman on an official visit together even though they made it clear they didn't want to go to the same school. That pushed Franklin to IU. Newman had no other options after IU pulled their offer.

McCulley was not scared of a 3* "QB" who will likely never play the position in college. He let Purdue's staff know he was committing to IU the following day, and Purdue called and pressured Minnesota's WR commit to come play QB at Purdue and he jumped on it. And then subsequently spurned Purdue for a better program.

Most didn't think Purdue lead for McCulley up until that point. Neubert did. Just as he did for Jalen Washington, Zeke Njani, Armaan Franklin, Jaren Jackson Jr, Josh Sales, ect....
Yup. Thats the iu side of all those. You have as much proof as I do for the Purdue side.

Why hasn't Painter recruited NBA type athletes? You would think after getting smoked in the Sweet 16 by athletic teams over and over again, he would learn to change his style.

Maybe you don't know this, but 247 has a DB of who an assistant coach has landed in their career. Terry Johnson's is empty. That goes right along with what OSU and Butler fans have stated when he left. He didn't even recruit off campus at OSU lol.
So when 247 list Purdue WR coach as the only recruiter for a DL, that means the DL coach didn't play a role? Interesting. Imagine thinking it's not a staff effort in recruiting....

Besides Kansas, when has Painter been smoked in the sweet 16? Painter has changed his style quite a bit over the years. If you think he hasn't changed, your blind.

IU has had 10 drafted since 2008. Of those ten players 8 were first round picks. including 5 lottery picks.

If we are counting Mathias type players, then you can add Yogi Ferrel, Troy Williams, and Juwan Morgan to the list.
I thought it’d be more with how the recruiting is. 16 top 50 recruits including 9 five stars in that period. Not really developing players as good as the program should.
Only two of those 9 players you mentioned managed to play 100+ games.
Moving the goalposts again?
If Purdue is actually an "Assistant Destination", then yea he should have more stepping into head coaching jobs at a higher level.
It’s weird how little you know about what you’re saying on this. Very few high majors are going to hire a college assistant to be the head coach unless he’s already on staff or an alumni.

Believe it or not but the people who know and coach in the business think a lot higher of painter than the posters on the IU free board! 4 assistants moving into head coaching jobs in 5 years means you’re doing something right. They aren’t leaving to take better assistant jobs. Idk how many programs can say that right now. Then you’re replacing them with assistants from Ohio st or the Celtics. That’s an “assistant destination” if that’s really a phrase.

You could say the same thing about Zion Williamson having considered Purdue. The is no proof to the contrary. That's such a lame argument.
Got ya. So it's a lane argument for me, but not you? Or you calling it a lame argument for you as well? I gave stated multiple times that I don't trust the offer list on 247, because what offers are commitable, what ones aren't, what ones aren't being reported. I stated that we'll before today, so glad your coming around.

He's more of a fan than he is a journalist, and you can see that in his writing and opinions.
tenor.gif

So when 247 list Purdue WR coach as the only recruiter for a DL, that means the DL coach didn't play a role? Interesting. Imagine thinking it's not a staff effort in recruiting....

Besides Kansas, when has Painter been smoked in the sweet 16? Painter has changed his style quite a bit over the years. If you think he hasn't changed, your blind.
You must have missed the part about seeing what Butler and OSU fans had to say about him. Since you are big on this dumb type of argument. Prove that he has been the lead recruiter on players at Butler or OSU.

Kansas by 32
Texas Tech by 13
Duke by 23
Uconn by 12

Just for fun we will add in VCU in the round of 32 by 18 points. Do you even know your own team?

Got ya. So it's a lane argument for me, but not you? Or you calling it a lame argument for you as well? I gave stated multiple times that I don't trust the offer list on 247, because what offers are commitable, what ones aren't, what ones aren't being reported. I stated that we'll before today, so glad your coming around.
Lol Neubs is also the only person that throws around "Commitable" offer too. Last year he was saying Kaufman didn't have a committable offer in the spring time when it looked like Kaufman would be going elsewhere.

It is a lame argument when the narrative changes at the last minute like it often does with Nuebs.

Lol Neubs is also the only person that throws around "Commitable" offer too. Last year he was saying Kaufman didn't have a committable offer in the spring time when it looked like Kaufman would be going elsewhere.

It is a lame argument when the narrative changes at the last minute like it often does with Nuebs.
No he didnt.... he said kaufman would be a very tough get. But didn't answer the question. Moved the goal post.

You must have missed the part about seeing what Butler and OSU fans had to say about him. Since you are big on this dumb type of argument. Prove that he has been the lead recruiter on players at Butler or OSU.

Kansas by 32
Texas Tech by 13
Duke by 23
Uconn by 12

Just for fun we will add in VCU in the round of 32 by 18 points. Do you even know your own team?
Yup. I know my team. Wouldn't call 12 and 13 points getting smoked. Especially when one was where you lost your center a couple games before.

Duke, sure. Forgot about that game. They also won it all. Painter typically plays to his seed, that's his bigger issue.

I thought it’d be more with how the recruiting is. 16 top 50 recruits including 9 five stars in that period. Not really developing players as good as the program should.

Moving the goalposts again?

It’s weird how little you know about what you’re saying on this. Very few high majors are going to hire a college assistant to be the head coach unless he’s already on staff or an alumni.

Believe it or not but the people who know and coach in the business think a lot higher of painter than the posters on the IU free board! 4 assistants moving into head coaching jobs in 5 years means you’re doing something right. They aren’t leaving to take better assistant jobs. Idk how many programs can say that right now. Then you’re replacing them with assistants from Ohio st or the Celtics. That’s an “assistant destination” if that’s really a phrase.
1. Archie was horrible all around. There is no doubting that Tom Crean was a good recruiter and good developer of talent. He just simply couldn't coach.

2. Not moving the goalposts at all. My statement to our discussion was in the paragraph before the number of games played comment. That comment was just a shot at how poorly Purdue players perform in the NBA.

3. I never said other coaches don't think highly of him. He's done a great job with what he has to work with at Purdue. That doesn't mean his results at the end of the day are that great. Wow, IU must be a "coaching destination" then since we have had coaches from the Knicks/Hawks, MSU, UCLA, and another coach that UK thought was good enough to take. Some coaches just want to be assistants rather than go to a tiny school. You think Miami of Ohio, Tulane, or whatever tiny school Lutz went to wouldn't have rather had a guy like Dane Fife? Shrewsberry and Cuanzo Martin are the only really good assistant coaches Painter has had.

That’s just incorrect. I don’t think it ever looked like Kaufman was going elsewhere either. On the hot mic radio broadcast Kaufman even told the kid IU wasn’t even his 2nd choice.

Neubs thought he’d commit early before furst did. After Fursts commitment the talk was always about trying to convince them to play together. A lot of Purdue fans were asking if Purdue landed Ingram if they would oversign to get Kaufman and I don’t remember his answers to that. Maybe that’s where you’re getting this from.
Neubs was also correct saying he thought it’d be Purdue in the weeks leading up to the announcement while all the IU fanboys were putting in their confidence picks to IU on 247. That was a fun time to read this board.

No he didnt.... he said kaufman would be a very tough get. But didn't answer the question. Moved the goal post.
I saw a screenshot of his post. He said he didn't know if Kaufman had a committable offer. It was in a Boiling Over last spring before Harrison Ingram had committed.

Again, I literally answered the question in the last sentence of the post you responded to. Idk if you are only look for Yes or No answers, but I certainly gave an answer and didn't move the goalpost.

Yup. I know my team. Wouldn't call 12 and 13 points getting smoked. Especially when one was where you lost your center a couple games before.

Duke, sure. Forgot about that game. They also won it all. Painter typically plays to his seed, that's his bigger issue.
Getting beat by double digits is getting smoked. There are at least 3 times I can think of when Painter lost to a team seeded significantly lower. I would not see he always plays to his seed. His teams just aren't setup for March.

Purdue vs. IU recruiting aside, I think there is a simple fact everyone on this board can agree with. No program in the country has been as successful at wasting talent as IU. It's really a remarkable accomplishment if you think about it.

I saw a screenshot of his post. He said he didn't know if Kaufman had a committable offer. It was in a Boiling Over last spring before Harrison Ingram had committed.

Again, I literally answered the question in the last sentence of the post you responded to. Idk if you are only look for Yes or No answers, but I certainly gave an answer and didn't move the goalpost.
So you feel as the whole who has what offers and can they commit to them and trusting 247's offer list is a lame argument? Because it creates to separate theories about recruits and no one has proof to back either up?

That’s just incorrect. I don’t think it ever looked like Kaufman was going elsewhere either. On the hot mic radio broadcast Kaufman even told the kid IU wasn’t even his 2nd choice.

Neubs thought he’d commit early before furst did. After Fursts commitment the talk was always about trying to convince them to play together. A lot of Purdue fans were asking if Purdue landed Ingram if they would oversign to get Kaufman and I don’t remember his answers to that. Maybe that’s where you’re getting this from.
Neubs was also correct saying he thought it’d be Purdue in the weeks leading up to the announcement while all the IU fanboys were putting in their confidence picks to IU on 247. That was a fun time to read this board.
That's inaccurate and you know it. There was a Boiling Over where he stated he didn't know if Kaufman even had a commitable offer. It was when IU was getting a bunch of buzz in the spring time.

Yes, Nuebs had it correct in the time leading up to the commitment, and the IU guys owned up to that. They didn't try to change the narrative to IU not even wanting him like their counterpart would have to the north.

Purdue vs. IU recruiting aside, I think there is a simple fact everyone on this board can agree with. No program in the country has been as successful at wasting talent than IU. It's really a remarkable accomplishment if you think about it.
And PUke has waisted its best teams on not winning anything. Agree?

So you feel as the whole who has what offers and can they commit to them and trusting 247's offer list is a lame argument? Because it creates to separate theories about recruits and no one has proof to back either up?
I'll believe the IU guys and national guys over Nuebs who has played the "we didn't even want them" card too many times. Maybe he was correct like you say, but given his past sour grapes, it always comes off as sour grapes.

Getting beat by double digits is getting smoked. There are at least 3 times I can think of when Painter lost to a team seeded significantly lower. I would not see he always plays to his seed. His teams just aren't setup for March.
Painter has coached in 12 NCAA tournaments. He has lost to a double digit seed 3 times. He has lost to a 1 seed 5 times. He has lost to a lower see 5 times, 1 time being an 8 vs 9 game, and 1 being a 2 vs 3 game.

So he has lost to a significantly lower seed 3 times. Looks like he typically plays to his seed. And minus a missed free throw or a lucky shot, he gets his breakthrough. Just bad luck. He's still incredibly young for a coach and seems to be getting closer to making a run. It will come.

I'll believe the IU guys and national guys over Nuebs who has played the "we didn't even want them" card too many times. Maybe he was correct like you say, but given his past sour grapes, it always comes off as sour grapes.
Got ya. Got ya. So you trust the guys that give you the information you want to hear? Didn't the iu guys say kaufman wasn't going to Purdue? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Anyways, by admitting you don't trust the offer list on 247 (which you've avoided straight up answering twice), you are undermining your entire argument about head to head recruiting. Great discussion. Have a good day!

Painter has coached in 12 NCAA tournaments. He has lost to a double digit seed 3 times. He has lost to a 1 seed 5 times. He has lost to a lower see 5 times, 1 time being an 8 vs 9 game, and 1 being a 2 vs 3 game.

So he has lost to a significantly lower seed 3 times. Looks like he typically plays to his seed. And minus a missed free throw or a lucky shot, he gets his breakthrough. Just bad luck. He's still incredibly young for a coach and seems to be getting closer to making a run. It will come.
How many times has he upset a better team? Losing 25% of the time to significantly lower teams doesn't seem great, but maybe that's just me.

He was also 1 missed out of bounds and phantom foul call away from yet another Sweet 16 flameout.

That's not what he said. This event is essentially a home game for IU. I would imagine anywhere from 70-80% of the revenue generated at the gate comes from IU but IU only receives a quarter of it. IU would be better off playing a home game or playing a single game event against a bigger program.
I have never been an economic employee of IU. I suspect you are correct that we might make more money if we could play a Kansas or a Kentucky in some type of home and away set up. Having said that it doesn’t seem completely unreasonable as a fan to have the series continue. Maybe the universities just can’t afford it.

Got ya. Got ya. So you trust the guys that give you the information you want to hear? Didn't the iu guys say kaufman wasn't going to Purdue? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Anyways, by admitting you don't trust the offer list on 247 (which you've avoided straight up answering twice), you are undermining your entire argument about head to head recruiting. Great discussion. Have a good day!
Yes, the IU guys did say that they thought Kaufman was going to IU. The difference between them and Noobs is they owned up to it as a miss. They didn't try to spin it that IU didn't want him anyways. That's how you remain credible. It's recruiting and no one is 100%. The trick is to own when you were wrong though.

I used other avenues of proof other than just the 247 offer list, you just ignored them. Glad to see you are finally leaving though!

1. Archie was horrible all around. There is no doubting that Tom Crean was a good recruiter and good developer of talent. He just simply couldn't coach.

2. Not moving the goalposts at all. My statement to our discussion was in the paragraph before the number of games played comment. That comment was just a shot at how poorly Purdue players perform in the NBA.

3. I never said other coaches don't think highly of him. He's done a great job with what he has to work with at Purdue. That doesn't mean his results at the end of the day are that great. Wow, IU must be a "coaching destination" then since we have had coaches from the Knicks/Hawks, MSU, UCLA, and another coach that UK thought was good enough to take. Some coaches just want to be assistants rather than go to a tiny school. You think Miami of Ohio, Tulane, or whatever tiny school Lutz went to wouldn't have rather had a guy like Dane Fife? Shrewsberry and Cuanzo Martin are the only really good assistant coaches Painter has had.
1 - sure

2 - you asked how many draft picks painter had then realized it was only a couple less than the IU recruiting machine you keep bragging about and changed it to only 2 played 100 nba games.

3 - what are you trying to talk about? Are you saying assistants that want to stay assistants? I’m saying Purdue is landing quality assistants and turning them into head coaches making it an attractive landing spot for future assistants. When you move up the ladder though it’s pretty easy to see you go from high major assistant to low major coach to high major coach the majority of the time.

current big ten coaches came from the following

Indiana - Hasbro
Illinois - Oklahoma St HC
Iowa - Sienna HC
Maryland - Texas A&M HC
Michigan - NBA
Michigan st - Michigan st assistant
Minnesota - Xavier assistant (also minn alumni)
Nebraska - NBA
Northwestern - Duke Assistant
Ohio State - Butler HC
Penn State - Purdue Assistant
Purdue - Purdue Assistant
Rutgers - Stony Brook HC
Wisconsin - Wisconsin assistant

Only 2 hired assistants with no connection
3 schools hired their own assistants
1 school hired an assistant former alum
5 hired head coaches from other schools
2 hired from the nba
1 hired from a toy company

That's inaccurate and you know it. There was a Boiling Over where he stated he didn't know if Kaufman even had a commitable offer. It was when IU was getting a bunch of buzz in the spring time.

Yes, Nuebs had it correct in the time leading up to the commitment, and the IU guys owned up to that. They didn't try to change the narrative to IU not even wanting him like their counterpart would have to the north.
IU was getting buzz from the IU reporters and fans who camp out at high schools lol.

1 - sure

2 - you asked how many draft picks painter had then realized it was only a couple less than the IU recruiting machine you keep bragging about and changed it to only 2 played 100 nba games.

3 - what are you trying to talk about? Are you saying assistants that want to stay assistants? I’m saying Purdue is landing quality assistants and turning them into head coaches making it an attractive landing spot for future assistants. When you move up the ladder though it’s pretty easy to see you go from high major assistant to low major coach to high major coach the majority of the time.

current big ten coaches came from the following

Indiana - Hasbro
Illinois - Oklahoma St HC
Iowa - Sienna HC
Maryland - Texas A&M HC
Michigan - NBA
Michigan st - Michigan st assistant
Minnesota - Xavier assistant (also minn alumni)
Nebraska - NBA
Northwestern - Duke Assistant
Ohio State - Butler HC
Penn State - Purdue Assistant
Purdue - Purdue Assistant
Rutgers - Stony Brook HC
Wisconsin - Wisconsin assistant

Only 2 hired assistants with no connection
3 schools hired their own assistants
1 school hired an assistant former alum
5 hired head coaches from other schools
2 hired from the nba
1 hired from a toy company
1. Owned.

2. No, that is not the reason I brought it up. Even through 3 different coaches and constant rebuilding IU has produced more NBA draft picks (at a significantly higher average draft spot) than Painter who has been there for 16 years. Most of that is because we get higher quality recruits.

3. Yes, some assistants don't want to move to a head coach, or at least don't want to leave for some crappy job. Dane Fife could be a head coach if he wanted to. He's waiting for the right opportunity as he has already gone down the path of taking a crappy job.

If Purdue is an assistant destination like you say, why are they not hiring top assistants (other than shrewsberry) with all of these openings the last few years? No one is going to call Lusk, Johnson, or Brantley a top assistant in the Big Ten. There is a pretty easy argument to be made that Fife is top 5 and Hunter is top 10.

IU was getting buzz all over the place. Enough so that Noobs decided to hedge his bet and say Kaufman's offer might not be commitable.
I lied. I'm back for one more. You say you have the screenshot showing this. Post it. DM me if you don't want to post it. I don't recall on it. Neubert usually doesn't say a kid is coming because he doesn't want to steal their thunder. He might say they are a Purdue lean or it looks good. I want to see it. This is all.

1. Owned.

2. No, that is not the reason I brought it up. Even through 3 different coaches and constant rebuilding IU has produced more NBA draft picks (at a significantly higher average draft spot) than Painter who has been there for 16 years. Most of that is because we get higher quality recruits.

3. Yes, some assistants don't want to move to a head coach, or at least don't want to leave for some crappy job. Dane Fife could be a head coach if he wanted to. He's waiting for the right opportunity as he has already gone down the path of taking a crappy job.

If Purdue is an assistant destination like you say, why are they not hiring top assistants (other than shrewsberry) with all of these openings the last few years? No one is going to call Lusk, Johnson, or Brantley a top assistant in the Big Ten. There is a pretty easy argument to be made that Fife is top 5 and Hunter is top 10.
1 - owned? You said iu coaches sucked and that’s owning?
2- completely different from the starting point of asking how many draft picks under painter.
3 - last 3 hires were an NBA assistant, a former Purdue coach that helped land painters best class, and an OSU guy. Brantley is an alum and has been great with the bigs.

Dear lord the excuses. FTs. Foul calls. Lucky shots. Injuries. How many theoretical final fours does Purdue have? 2010s were one of the worst decades IU basketball has ever suffered and they still won two outright B1G titles and a handful of sweet 16s. Purdue had one of their best decades ever and achieved juuuuust a tiny bit more. At the end of the day you’re still 40 years removed from your last final four. Dusty banners indeed.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT