ADVERTISEMENT

Cronk in the Portal (multiple sources)

We get it - you don't like Hiller.

I admit I’m not sold on Hiller, but it’s not a personal hatred, he seems like nice guy. It’s wanting IU to have top flight staff.

To me Allen has made his questionable hires when goes for the old friends. (DeBord, Womack, Hiller) versus the outside hires of S/C Ballou and DeBoer.

And does it not strike as odd that a captain after a bowl year, would transfer? So yes, to me it can raise questions about the coaching relationships he has or his desire for a change.

That said, I always try to see positives:
-Opens up a recruiting spot
-Forces next man up and we have some young, but if bodied dudes on team and coming in

Hoping coaching changes and new players will lead to god things ahead.

Reactions: red hornet
I'd love to know the real story. Has to be something odd. A team captain walking off the field at a bowl game to the transfer portal? Nut kick for sure.

It’s one kid even if he goes to Purdue it’s for one year,so what?
If he’s not happy here and wants to play for Purdue,do you want him staying? I don’t.
We will be fine,we are talking about 20
year old kids,think back to when you were that age,did you make good,logical choices?
Good luck to him wherever he goes,we will be fine.Next man up.

I was very surprised by this news. The Master's degree theory close to the top of this thread makes the most sense to me. Otherwise why not just stay at IU if your intent is to wait one more year for the draft?

It seems to me that if I had a serious injury requiring that type of rehab with one year of eligibility left, I would stay where I am. The training staff and coaching staff are familiar with where I am in rehab, know how much I can do and whether I have any restrictions which they are in a better position to monitor and work through in training sessions and practices.

Can't say I'm not disappointed in the news. But he gave plenty in 3 full years, so I can't be upset in him making what he thinks are the best decisions for himself.

I think it's worth noting too that while some of the guys in his class have redshirted and will be back next year, as a 4-year starter "his guys" have exhausted their eligibility this year and he'd be somewhat of the "old guy" next season. I can see feeling less of a connection to guys 2-3 years younger than you and wanting to go out for one more season and taking a shot at becoming NFL ready. I still think switching to guard here next to Bedford for a final season would've been the best, but I ain't his dad.

Thanks for the work Cronk and best of luck with your future!

Hearing the same thing. Seems random, but Matt Campbell is a good coach. And they do offer EVERYONE

I think Cronk was originally down to Iowa St and IU when he committed to IU, and would have been recruited by Campbell and Myers (OC/OL), both of whom may have had earlier contact with Cronk when they were still at Toledo, so not really that random.

And if it was a close decision back then, we need to remember that the people that recruited Cronk to IU (Wilson, Frey, Patton) are long gone

I think Cronk was originally down to Iowa St and IU when he committed to IU, and would have been recruited by Campbell and Myers (OC/OL), both of whom may have had earlier contact with Cronk when they were still at Toledo, so not really that random.

And if it was a close decision back then, we need to remember that the people that recruited Cronk to IU (Wilson, Frey, Patton) are long gone

Agreed. These kids have life long decisions to make that go well beyond just football. Football is big, no doubt, brotherhood is bigger but the biggest of all should be their education and of course family. If either of those come into play, a grown man makes the decision he might be making. Hopefully there is no bad blood and its something along those lines because he has been a great representative of the University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT