ADVERTISEMENT

Crean

You guys tried to warn us. Will it get any better? LOL

You're going to lose your best player next year, and you ask that? You know the answer.

Seriously, I thought UGA might be a good spot for CTC. He did give us a B10 title in the 3 years before he left and built good teams every few years, including one that made it to #1. I thought maybe at a place where bball was 2nd fiddle, and in a conference where after UK, you might have easier sledding year in year out, he might do well enough to keep the fans happy. In answer, it probably will get better... but it will get as bad or worse too most likely.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Georgia was blinded by Crean selling them the goods of a shiny object, that he was once at Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: justjames
Turnover Tom did not play college basketball, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Welcome to the rollercoaster ride totally dependent on recruiting and a gimmick no position offense and no D. Faster...faster...
Pull up his pants with a confused look on his face. No, it won't get any better Georgia fans. Sorry.

Last edited:
Todd_Packer said:

No, but it will go faster, and faster, and even faster yet. How are the deflections going down there?
[/quote]

Many thought we hired final four/sweet 16 Tom Crean and also signed Duane Wade. Edwards has been underwhelming. Talent is there but hasn’t gotten much better. Team is not deep and young. Still plenty of pieces to be better than the record shows. I can’t get passed the gum smacking, sideline pacing, and spray tan to see any positives. He has created excitement but that has all led to a let down. The Memphis road win brought a lot of the football fans on board. I’m over him already and feel like we got exactly who we thought we were getting.

Reactions: UncleMark
It seems that there is a ot of unhappiness concerning the Ohio St. coach and his lackluster performance. Might want to go watch and scout him.

Listened to a John hollinger podcast and he claims he wouldn't touch Edwards in the draft claiming the guy doesn't play hard at all.

No, but it will go faster, and faster, and even faster yet. How are the deflections going down there?

Many thought we hired final four/sweet 16 Tom Crean and also signed Duane Wade. Edwards has been underwhelming. Talent is there but hasn’t gotten much better. Team is not deep and young. Still plenty of pieces to be better than the record shows. I can’t get passed the gum smacking, sideline pacing, and spray tan to see any positives. He has created excitement but that has all led to a let down. The Memphis road win brought a lot of the football fans on board. I’m over him already and feel like we got exactly who we thought we were getting.[/QUOTE]

I actually think Crean could be a good HC and program manager, if he'd use his staff wisely and have Assts address some of his shortcomings. But, I think he's got such an ego that he has to prove to everyone he's the smartest guy in the room and so he won't hand off that kind of responsibility, so your stuck with those shortcomings. I don't like him, but I'll credit Roy Williams. I thought the first half of his tenure at KU he as much like Crean in that he focused on offense and getting up and down the floor. But I thought he evolved and started recognizing he needed to adjust his approach to his talent and roster and he got better. I don't feel like Crean has ever done that. I agree, you got, who you thought you were getting.

Many thought we hired final four/sweet 16 Tom Crean and also signed Duane Wade. Edwards has been underwhelming. Talent is there but hasn’t gotten much better. Team is not deep and young. Still plenty of pieces to be better than the record shows. I can’t get passed the gum smacking, sideline pacing, and spray tan to see any positives. He has created excitement but that has all led to a let down. The Memphis road win brought a lot of the football fans on board. I’m over him already and feel like we got exactly who we thought we were getting.[/QUOTE]

Does he still spend more time watching himself clap than he does watching the game?

I looked at Crean recruiting Edwards as something wrong with Edwards. I thought he was picking a coach so desperate for an elite player that he could slack off without consequences. I also thought he picked Crean and Georgia because the season would end early and he could focus on the draft. I don't rule out a minor "injury" that will keep him out of the last few games.

It may work against him. He may not have impressed NBA scouts. Crean getting a second year from a player that has to play hard might see an improvement.

Crean's teams have to overcome high turnovers and bad defense with elite talent. He likes recruits with raw athletic players with the lowest basketball IQ possible that he thinks he can coach up. Two of the dumbest players I have seen on the court came during Crean's tenure. Others embraced his high risk low reward style. We have a senior on the team that would be more comfortable with Crean.

Cal-Crean-inthe-ring_zpsef857e4c.gif

Many thought we hired final four/sweet 16 Tom Crean and also signed Duane Wade. Edwards has been underwhelming. Talent is there but hasn’t gotten much better. Team is not deep and young. Still plenty of pieces to be better than the record shows. I can’t get passed the gum smacking, sideline pacing, and spray tan to see any positives. He has created excitement but that has all led to a let down. The Memphis road win brought a lot of the football fans on board. I’m over him already and feel like we got exactly who we thought we were getting.

Does he still spend more time watching himself clap than he does watching the game?[/QUOTE]
Clap...clap...clap
Drink green tea
Pull-up pants with tongue out
Turnover

Reactions: justjames
Well, I've been an IU fan for over 50 years, was at IU in 1976, grad school in 1981, and moved to the ATL in May, 1987, after the last IU championship . . .

. . . I've kept my mouth shut in Georgia because I don't want to spoil anyone's fandom . . .

. . . but since you've brought it up, no. I haven't yet seen anything from Crean that would indicate that he can coach up to, much less beyond, the talent level he has.There will be moments that seem like glory, when opposing teams have a bad game or two against Crean's teams . . . like when IU went on a 28 point run against Michigan once . . . but like George C. Scott said at the end of Patton, with Crean there's always going to be someone repeating "fame is fleeting" during the parade . . . .

[on edit] One question I'll ask you to answer for yourself each season is whether a Crean team is playing its best ball at the end of the season rather than at the beginning. That to me is an indicator of good coaching . . . I won't spoil the ending to your movie though. You'll have to watch it and decide for yourself . . . .

Last edited:
Haha. I am in metro Atlanta, and I warned so many people who thought he would be some savior. He hasn’t changed. Georgia might get some really good teams that challenge for league supremacy, but it will be an up and down journey, filled with frustration.

Crean craps fools gold enough to keep the door of possibility open.

Reactions: Sope Creek

When he has shooters his offense can overwhelm teams but that can be said about any offense.

His style of play is to push tempo which results in a lot of dumb turnovers, which is why he gets called Turnover Tom.

He's never really had much of a defensive philosophy. He's totally an offensive based coach. The elite can do both.

He's actually pretty good at individual development. He has turned average shooters into really good shooters. Which means he can recruit high potential athletes that can't shoot and develop their offensive game. People know the extremes (Wade, Oladipo, Anuoby) but he turned guys like Christian Watford, Troy Williams even Thomas Bryant into really good offensive players with the ability to shoot.

His biggest issue is he has no feel for the game. The elite can tell what's working or not in real time...Crean doesn't seem to be able to. His substitution pattern is erratic which matches his personality.

Which leads to his biggest flaw.

He's a monster narcissist.

Everything is about him with the program. He's socially awkward. He burns those around him out. He has fake empathy and emotion. He wants to be respected as one of the elite coaches when he's not and I think it bothers him. He's an obsessive tinkerer. He wants to be the smartest guy in the room when he's not. He's constantly reading some self help/leadership book that he'll completely change his process over to fit at the time.

You saw his narcissism last year when he threw his team under the bus. Criticism drives him batshit crazy.

With Crean he will always be selling the future and downplaying the present. As my Marquette friends told me, next year is always better than this year.

When he has shooters his offense can overwhelm teams but that can be said about any offense.

His style of play is to push tempo which results in a lot of dumb turnovers, which is why he gets called Turnover Tom.

He's never really had much of a defensive philosophy. He's totally an offensive based coach. The elite can do both.

He's actually pretty good at individual development. He has turned average shooters into really good shooters. Which means he can recruit high potential athletes that can't shoot and develop their offensive game. People know the extremes (Wade, Oladipo, Anuoby) but he turned guys like Christian Watford, Troy Williams even Thomas Bryant into really good offensive players with the ability to shoot.

His biggest issue is he has no feel for the game. The elite can tell what's working or not in real time...Crean doesn't seem to be able to. His substitution pattern is erratic which matches his personality.

Which leads to his biggest flaw.

He's a monster narcissist.

Everything is about him with the program. He's socially awkward. He burns those around him out. He has fake empathy and emotion. He wants to be respected as one of the elite coaches when he's not and I think it bothers him. He's an obsessive tinkerer. He wants to be the smartest guy in the room when he's not. He's constantly reading some self help/leadership book that he'll completely change his process over to fit at the time.

You saw his narcissism last year when he threw his team under the bus. Criticism drives him batshit crazy.

With Crean he will always be selling the future and downplaying the present. As my Marquette friends told me, next year is always better than this year.
This is the best Crean profile I’ve seen. Precise in every way, especially regarding his narcissism.

Turnover Tom did not play college basketball, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Welcome to the rollercoaster ride totally dependent on recruiting and a gimmick no position offense and no D. Faster...faster...
Pull up his pants with a confused look on his face. No, it won't get any better Georgia fans. Sorry.
Did not play high school basketball.

Reactions: ufo33
has he said "we will look at the film later"? Coaches obviously can say that, but not after every game as a cop-out

Reactions: ufo33
Hey, they got good cinnamon rolls and coffee at Holiday Inn Express.

This is the best Crean profile I’ve seen. Precise in every way, especially regarding his narcissism.
Spot on. One of the most telling aspects of Crean's narcissism and fragile ego is his unwillingness to hire competent assistant coaches who will challenge him. Instead, he surrounds himself with "yes men". Unlike John Beilein at Michigan who realized his lack of expertise in teaching man defense and brought in a guy he knew would make the team better. Beilein wasn't afraid that an assistant might get credit for improving the team. He was secure enough to recognize and openly admit an area of weakness and to publicly give credit to someone else.

There is a reason other programs weren't beating down the doors to hire Crean's staff away even after the most successful seasons. Out of all the poor qualities a leader might possess, insecurity is perhaps the most detrimental to consistent and long-term success.

Hahaha!
Georgia thought Crean was their savior.
I was at a client's office north of Atlanta right after Crean was hired. Most were really happy to have him. They only knew that he spent 9 years at a basketball school like IU and led them to a #1 ranking.

The mood turned to that at least they had football and maybe Crean will be better with less pressure on him after I filled them in.

Read the article in the Athens Herald. They starting to understand the real Crean. The smoke and mirrors are fading.

ADVERTISEMENT