ADVERTISEMENT

Crawford and Safeties Roll Through Spring

snowling

Hall of Famer
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - With the Cream & Crimson Spring Game two weeks away, the Indiana football team is geared up and ready to hit Memorial Stadium and play under the lights again.

In the 2017 campaign, the Hoosiers can be assured they will be strong at the safeties positon, led by junior Jonathan Crawford .

"I just want to lead by example," Crawford said. "Even if you mess up, stay positive, do the little things right and motivate young guys."

Crawford has started 26 career games and is the current IU leader with seven interceptions, four fumble recoveries and 11 takeaways. But this spring, he is still working to get better.

"For me, quicker feet, quicker hands," Crawford said. "Understanding of the offense better. It's important to get what you learned in the season and put it out there on the field during spring."

Quite a lot was learned in the past season for Crawford, but his play has remained a constant. In his true freshman year, Crawford paced Indiana with four interceptions and earned ESPN.com and BTN.com All-Freshman honors.

As a sophomore, Crawford came back with more to prove and did big things. Crawford topped the Hoosiers with seven takeaways, four fumble recoveries (1st in the Big Ten, T-2nd nationally) and three interceptions (T-1st on the team), and made 71 tackles (4th on the team), 45 solo, a half-tackle for loss and seven pass breakups (T-4th on the team).

Now going into his third year, Crawford and the Hoosiers have bigger goals than personal achievements. Indiana wants to make noise in the team rankings.

"I just want to break through," Crawford said. "It starts here and leads on through camp and summer workouts. We want to be a top 25 defense and that's our goal."

iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/3/30/football-crawford-and-safeties-roll-through-spring.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT