ADVERTISEMENT

Coy Cronk

Good player. Long-time starter. Captain, who CTA praised often for his work ethic and leadership before and after his injury.

Word is IU wanted him at Guard next year. I wish him the best at Iowa and thank him for his 4 years at IU.

Will finally get to wear black and gold...just won't be wearing it for his hometown team.

I know it feels like a slap in the face, but I cant really blame Coy Cronk for trying to get a boost to get to the Big Show. Isn't Iowa among the leaders in the amount of players on this year's Playoffs and SuperBowl rosters? Ferentz and Wisky know how to develop O Linemen and get them to the Pros. Just glad he picked Iowa over Purdue.

I know it feels like a slap in the face, but I cant really blame Coy Cronk for trying to get a boost to get to the Big Show. Isn't Iowa among the leaders in the amount of players on this year's Playoffs and SuperBowl rosters? Ferentz and Wisky know how to develop O Linemen and get them to the Pros. Just glad he picked Iowa over Purdue.

Yes, Iowa has 4 players on the Superbowl teams which is tied for most in the game. Oddly enough none are OL...

Reactions: 82IU
Talk to me about him. Sounds like he will replace Tristan Wirfs

I don't know what you're bringing back on the OL, but I doubt he'll be your best player on the line. With that said, he's very solid. So if he's your worst player on the line, that bodes well for the unit's performance next season.

He's a very capable tackle, but I always kind of thought his body type/frame lends itself more to playing guard than tackle and he kind of got forced into the starting LT as a true freshman. I can't say I recall many games where he looked dominant. I also don't recall many times thinking he got embarrassed out there.

So overall a good p/u for the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: HawkTied
Hawks also have to see how he recovers from season ending injury. That isn't always a "walk in the park" to return from, but while yes, it does "sting" a bit that he didn't come back to build on the 8-win breakout year, he was a loyal Hoosier for 4 years and good luck to him.

BC if you no longer want to be at IU, glad to free up a spot for someone who 100% does!

I think he's a very good player and starting that many games proves it. Indiana's offensive lines have really improved these last 8 years or so and Coy was a part of that improvement.

We have two BIG bookend tackles that will be the starters. One goes 6-5 300+ and the other goes 6-8 355lbs. The bigger of the two routinely allowed Ramsey to score from inside the 2 yd line on QB keepers all year long. It was one of our bread and butter plays that was not stopped one time all year long.

Iowa has a good player here, wish he would've been more committed to the IU team and LEO approach.

The only logical explanation is that he wanted to play for the most boring head coach in CF.

A logical explanation would include:
1. IU wanted him to move inside, while providing insurance for both tackle positions. That wouldn’t mean either projected tackle is better than Coy, but rather he would be an improvement over one of the projected interior line starters.

2. Coy wanted to continue at tackle in pursuit of his pro career.

3. Iowa has a potential opening at tackle, is a highly visible program, and has a positive history of offensive linemen development.

4. Coy could stay in the B1G with familiarity of the league but wouldn’t have to face IU.

Unfortunately for Purdue he isn’t finishing at home.

Stuff Iowa fans probably don't know about Cronk:
  • Came from Lafayette Central Catholic - powerhouse football school in IN's smallest school division (under 300 across four grades). School also produced the various Anthrops that played for Purdue over the years.
  • All-state baseball player (C) his senior year. I recall some concern he might forego football if he got drafted by MLB, but didn't come to pass.
  • Got pressed into service his freshman year due to injury. Took over for Jason Spriggs, who had been 4-year starter at LT before being drafted by the Packers.
  • Good career at IU. Stayed relatively injury free until this year (missed one game in 2018). Probably didn't hurt he had a future NFL guard (Dan Feeney) mentoring him his freshman year and another future NFL guard (Wes Martin) playing next to him his first three year.
  • Won high praise from coaches for staying close to the program to help during this year. Mentored his heir apparent through the season. Won the nickname 'Coach Cronk' from the staff. Is apparently very good at winning the opening coin toss.
I'm hearing the same things about the staff wanting to keep the two tackles who finished the year in place and move Cronk to the interior. The only knock on Cronk is he doesn't have the long-arm/long-body build that seems to be what coaches prefer from tackles and the guys who finished the season do. My guess is if he makes it to the next level he plays interior.

Sorry for your loss of a talented player. I am pretty sure he will be a good fit culturally at Iowa, as Indiana runs a tight ship and does not suffer thugs, thieves or worse. Our Offensive line was going to be a big problem next year. We lost Wirfs to the NFL and another Senior to injuries, and he is not coming back. Plus graduation. Our interior line play was pretty bad until the last part of the season this year. Really bad.

Look at it this way, he could have ended up at Michigan or Purdue.

Party on....

Sorry for your loss of a talented player. I am pretty sure he will be a good fit culturally at Iowa, as Indiana runs a tight ship and does not suffer thugs, thieves or worse. Our Offensive line was going to be a big problem next year. We lost Wirfs to the NFL and another Senior to injuries, and he is not coming back. Plus graduation. Our interior line play was pretty bad until the last part of the season this year. Really bad.

Look at it this way, he could have ended up at Michigan or Purdue.

Party on....
Cronk was a good player at IU and I'm sorry to lose him. He deserves nothing but respect from IU fans. With that said he decided to play at Iowa and he must think it's a good fit. I'm guessing you'll really like this kid. He has a little nasty side and he's very smart. He has never been in any trouble that I know of. Good for him and good for you guys. Looks win win to me.
Go Hoosiers!

There is more money in the NFL at either tackle than either guard.
I can see him wanting to play LT one more year to try and stay there for Sundays.
I agree it feels like a slap, but he deserves to do what is best for him.

Cronk wants to play tackle and thinks he's similar, but better than Brandon Knight who played RT at IU. Knight may be a bit smaller, but has a similar build (in the 6'4, 310 range) to Cronk (listed at 6'5, 324, but I don't think he's that tall). I thought Knight was a OG all the way if he made an NFL roster. He ended up going undrafted but was signed and got playing time on the Cowboys at RT when they had major injury issues and showed pretty well. To me, Cronk is more athletic and has much higher upside. With his girth, he's much better against the run, but doesn't appear to have the arm length or overall length the NFL teams look for in a OT. Iowa is getting a great kid and a kid who will work his tail off.

At IU, Cronk was likely going to be asked to play OG, his likely position at the next level, so that IU could get it's best three OL on the field at the same time. Jones (6'8, 355) and Bedford (6'6, 307) are not moving inside and are OT all the way. The thought was that having Cronk play OG to go along with Stanford transfer Dylan Powell while moving Harry Crider back to his natural and HS position of center would get the best five OL's on the field at the same time.

Good luck to Coy...Kid gave us so much and mentored Matthew Bedford. It will suck to see him in a different uniform, but I wish him luck. Also, please beat PU's rears...

There is more money in the NFL at either tackle than either guard.
I can see him wanting to play LT one more year to try and stay there for Sundays.
I agree it feels like a slap, but he deserves to do what is best for him.

The problem with that is he really doesn't look like an NFL tackle. At no time did he look like a 1st or 2nd team ABT tackle.

A more likely scenario would have been if he wanted to go inside but the coaches let him. That would have made more sense.

But it's his life.............

Even though IU doesn't play Iowa in 2020, this feels like a slap in the face.
It IS a slap in the face--unless there's a lot more to than we know, & simply wanting to play OT. If that's the case--stay & win the friggin job! Idk, I know a lot of people wish him well & seem to have no problem with his leaving, but it just doesn't make sense to me, not considering the leadership role he took after his injury. Whatever caused him to transfer had to be in existence already while he was leading the team out on the field at the end of the season, & that just doesn't sit right with me, but it is what it is, & it doesn't matter how I see it. I'm just glad we have Bedford in place with experience.

Like it or not, the grad transfer rule came about to reward kids who graduate in 3-4 years (a positive, for sure) and still have 1-2 years of eligibility. Originally the rule was the grad transfer had to go somewhere that had a graduate program the original school did not. I believe that part has been done away with.

While many are disappointed IU is losing a great kid/good player, Cronk and all the hundreds of other grad transfers nationally are simply exercising their ability to do what the rule now allows. He came for a degree, represented himself, his team and his school admirably. Kudos to him.

That said, it was unlikely he would beat out Caleb or Bedford at OT in the spring. And apparently he didn't want to move inside.

I know IU has put some O-Linemen in the NFL in recent years, but who can argue with his choice of Iowa if he has NFL dreams? They routinely turn out NFL ready O-Linemen.

Finally, I look forward to seeing how the new grad transfer from Stanford does for IU at guard. And hopefully come summer, the DT from Center Grove, by way of Stanford, too.
(Or TIC, should IU not take them since they gave Stanford a "slap in the face?").

Like it or not, the grad transfer rule came about to reward kids who graduate in 3-4 years (a positive, for sure) and still have 1-2 years of eligibility. Originally the rule was the grad transfer had to go somewhere that had a graduate program the original school did not. I believe that part has been done away with.

While many are disappointed IU is losing a great kid/good player, Cronk and all the hundreds of other grad transfers nationally are simply exercising their ability to do what the rule now allows. He came for a degree, represented himself, his team and his school admirably. Kudos to him.

That said, it was unlikely he would beat out Caleb or Bedford at OT in the spring. And apparently he didn't want to move inside.

I know IU has put some O-Linemen in the NFL in recent years, but who can argue with his choice of Iowa if he has NFL dreams? They routinely turn out NFL ready O-Linemen.

Finally, I look forward to seeing how the new grad transfer from Stanford does for IU at guard. And hopefully come summer, the DT from Center Grove, by way of Stanford, too.
(Or TIC, should IU not take them since they gave Stanford a "slap in the face?").
Unlikely he would beat out Bedford?

Well, he already beat him out this past year, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance he'd start at LT if he wanted to stay.

Reactions: Cap99
Unlikely he would beat out Bedford?

Well, he already beat him out this past year, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance he'd start at LT if he wanted to stay.
He beat out a freshman with zero experience, that is no longer the case, Cronk would not start at LT next fall unless Bedford would happen to get injured. Bedford has a chance to be one of the best OL to play here, Cronk worked hard, gave his all, but Bedford can be special.

He beat out a freshman with zero experience, that is no longer the case, Cronk would not start at LT next fall unless Bedford would happen to get injured. Bedford has a chance to be one of the best OL to play here, Cronk worked hard, gave his all, but Bedford can be special.
That's your opinion only. Cronk started over Beford, and that's a fact.

Yes, you read it right. Unlikely he would beat out Bedford next year. Not exactly going out on a limb either to say that as Bedford has a higher ceiling at OT. Cronk beat him out last summer when he was a true frosh. After 8 starts, he's ready to go.

Would I like to have Cronk still at IU? Yes. But if he didn't want to play guard and he thought the better option for him was to play tackle elsewhere, I wish him the best.

Well, it’s also the opinion of the coaches.
Really? Which ones told you that?

You guys kill me - someone writes something on an internet board, and suddenly it's gospel.

You think you'd have learned by now.

Reactions: Cap99
Really? Which ones told you that?

You guys kill me - someone writes something on an internet board, and suddenly it's gospel.

You think you'd have learned by now.
Look, I’m not going to have a back and forth with you because you want to be “right”, I really don’t care whether you believe me or not. I think I have a history on here of providing pretty accurate information, believe whatever you like.

Look, I’m not going to have a back and forth with you because you want to be “right”, I really don’t care whether you believe me or not. I think I have a history on here of providing pretty accurate information, believe whatever you like.
I think you have a history of coming up with some of the biggest BS on here. It gets old hearing you guys repeat the same false mantra until it suddenly becomes fact.

Like Ramsey's arm strength - he can't throw downfield, remember?

I think you have a history of coming up with some of the biggest BS on here. It gets old hearing you guys repeat the same false mantra until it suddenly becomes fact.

Like Ramsey's arm strength - he can't throw downfield, remember?
Speaking of spewing BS, you just shoveled a load. Please show us all where I said “Ramsey can’t throw downfield”, didn’t happen. What I did say is Penix has better velocity allowing him to throw to tighter windows and allowing for more YAC. Actually I think Ramsey throws a nice deep ball, probably better than Penix at this point as far as touch.

I didn't say you said it. I used it as an example of something that's repeated often enough most people accept it as fact.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019
And how did this turn into some referendum on Ramsey ? I love Ramsey , wish he would stay, but he isn’t (I know spewing more BS), but even your own article says Penix is more dynamic, and he was just listed on a Heisman watch list. All of that aside, I thought this thread was about Cronk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT