ADVERTISEMENT

Coy Cronk

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Anyone hear Allen's comments concerning CC on signing day.........sounded to me as if he thought he would be gone to try the pros if he makes a full and complete recovery in a timely manner.......other takes on it?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I took it as that Coy is going to go through the process and get feedback like anyone in his situation should. Same with Whop.

Personally, I think Coy comes back. He's not a OT at the next level, imo, and will need time to prove he can play inside.

I totally agree. Coy will be a guard at the next level. Given his season ending injury and that he has never played the position he more than likely not be drafted and have to go the free agent route. Can be tough way to make it and not much up front money. If he does return and agrees to move to guard he has an opportunity to demonstrate he is healthy and can excel at the guard position. Possibly a 3rd to 5th round pick.

I totally understand Coy may want to go through the process in order to receive NFL feedback on what areas he needs improvement. My guess is he will return, have an outstanding senior season and move onto the NFL ala Dan Feeney.

I took it as that Coy is going to go through the process and get feedback like anyone in his situation should. Same with Whop.

Personally, I think Coy comes back. He's not a OT at the next level, imo, and will need time to prove he can play inside.
I would love it if Coy goes thru the process, learns, and then comes back to play as a guard.
Would we play him at guard when he would help us more as a tackle?

I would love it if Coy goes thru the process, learns, and then comes back to play as a guard.
Would we play him at guard when he would help us more as a tackle?
I was really impressed with Bedford for a true freshman. He's going to be an NFL guy if he continues to get better.

Here's my "way too early" OL starters if Cronk is back (as I expect):
LT Bedford
LG Cronk
C Crider
RG Powell
RT Jones

I think that Powell and Crider could be switched, but I think that is likely the starting 5 and I think that's a pretty good and experienced group, especially considering we're losing two multi-year starters inside.

Cronk at guard and Bedford at tackle might be interesting. Coming back has its risks, but would he get drafted without allowing teams to get a full evaluation of his abilities while still recovering?

Cronk at guard and Bedford at tackle might be interesting. Coming back has its risks, but would he get drafted without allowing teams to get a full evaluation of his abilities while still recovering?

And while not seeing him play guard.
I mean, I think that's the question. I have no idea and am just an arm chair GM.

That said, I didn't think Brandon Knight had a chance at playing OT in the NFL and he's started a couple games for the Cowboys at RT due to their injuries and was pretty decent. With the obvious Knight caveat, I still think Cronk is an interior guy at the next level that has the ability to play OT. Knight also showed some athleticism early in his career playing some (blocking) TE. I think Cronk is more athletic than Knight and I believe Cronk should be drafted even if he does come out this year based on starting basically every single game in his career and going against a ton of NFL talent while still performing at a high level.

All this to say that I think Cronk does return if the feedback is about him likely being an inside guy which could move his draft stock from 5-7th round (or undrafted) to 3-4th like Feeney or Martin.

I was really impressed with Bedford for a true freshman. He's going to be an NFL guy if he continues to get better.

Here's my "way too early" OL starters if Cronk is back (as I expect):
LT Bedford
LG Cronk
C Crider
RG Powell
RT Jones

I think that Powell and Crider could be switched, but I think that is likely the starting 5 and I think that's a pretty good and experienced group, especially considering we're losing two multi-year starters inside.
don't forget nworah. IF he comes back.

Last edited:
My bet is he tries to go pro but isn't ready with the injury and misses and opportunity to come back and get healthy and improve. We shall see, though.

And can someone do me a favor? Can someone share a link of somewhere that has him as a top OT in the draft, because i just don't see it. (Or as a guard, because that is what some random person on here evaluates him at, lol.)

And can someone do me a favor? Can someone share a link of somewhere that has him as a top OT in the draft, because i just don't see it. (Or as a guard, because that is what some random person on here evaluates him at, lol.)

Sounds like a p u fan hoping beyond hope he doesn't return...

You're wasting your time rc...

I doubt you'll be able to influence his decision either way...

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
My bet is he tries to go pro but isn't ready with the injury and misses and opportunity to come back and get healthy and improve. We shall see, though.

I kind of doubt there won’t be people advising him of his “must decide by” dates so that he doesn’t BOTH miss his NFL window and ability to come back to IU!

Kind of think that’s a no way no How scenario.

I'd love to see Cronk back at LG next to Bedford. But I think he should absolutely listen to evaluations of his pro potential now. If he hears that he'll be drafted in the 5th round or better, it's hard to tell him to say no to living the dream of an NFL career. A strong 5th yr. campaign might make him a 3rd or 4th rounder, but he's never going to be a top round pick.

And I've been super impressed by Bedford and think it'd be a big mistake to see him fall back on the depth chart.

We need the data the scouts have. On average:
How many years do fifth round picks stay in the league?
How many reach a big pay out after their rookie deal?
How about if they are 3rd or 4th rounders?
How does having an injury midway through your senior year influence things?
Is Coy’s skill set more guard or tackle? Right or left?

I think CTA said something in an interview last week (or the week before) about how they ask for opinions from the whoever makes those kind of predictions for a few underclassmen each year. So I'm glad he's doing right by his kids to at least ask the questions. Although I assume most coaches at that level do so.

Some of my professors would tell the students what their grade was going into finals and gave us the option of skipping the final and accepting what the current grade was or taking the final to try to improve the grade (or lose the bird in the hand).

Also, Cronk may have finished degree requirements last semester and was only taking independent study classes or the like.

I don’t pretend to be a scout type fan.... I just don’t see him as a lock in the NFL. I think he will be undrafted honestly. He has been one of the better OL we have had on the team during his time at IU but that is different than saying he will is a draft choice caliber player. He just seems....serviceable. Is there upside? I would think so. We have seen it in other players that went to the NFL and showed marked improvement.

I think he would find himself in a better position if he returns another year and focuses on technique.

I think he would find himself in a better position if he returns another year and focuses on technique.
I don’t know that I agree that he isn’t a draftable player at this point, but I just think his best spot in the NFL is at OG. He’s bigger and stronger than Dan Feeney and much more athletic and faster than Wes Martin who both ended up being drafted in the 3rd round. I think coming back and playing OG would really help his draft stock regardless.

If his injury healed and he is full go for “try-outs” and demonstrates good speed and strength, he will be graded on past performances. if he has Not fully recovered, IMO, he will be told to return.
Does anyone know what type of money they pay “practice squad” players? If they are drafted in late rounds, is any money guaranteed?
How do you compare “life” as a scholarship football player at IU, vs a practice squad nfl?
And what is base pay if they make a team?

If his injury healed and he is full go for “try-outs” and demonstrates good speed and strength, he will be graded on past performances. if he has Not fully recovered, IMO, he will be told to return.
Does anyone know what type of money they pay “practice squad” players? If they are drafted in late rounds, is any money guaranteed?
How do you compare “life” as a scholarship football player at IU, vs a practice squad nfl?
And what is base pay if they make a team?
Practice squad players make a great check. I was thinking a minimum of 5k weekly?? Could be wrong. Of course if he comes back and works his way into a 3rd round draft pick at guard, then that's preferable. Practice squad players typically don't see guaranteed $$$ as far as I know.

When I was in school the drinking age was 18 and everyone went to school for five years because it was so much fun. Are they get anybody asked to be convinced they're going back to school is a good idea. not to mention that you could get a second-degree or make yourself more educated or a
more interesting person.

You are starting to see high end udfa’s getting up to 200k in signing bonuses. Most are in the 10k to 50k range. There is a huge difference between practice squad pay and 53 man roster pay.

practice squad is making close to 125k now In salary. League min. For active roster is around 500k.

Practice squad players make a great check. I was thinking a minimum of 5k weekly?? Could be wrong. Of course if he comes back and works his way into a 3rd round draft pick at guard, then that's preferable. Practice squad players typically don't see guaranteed $$$ as far as I know.
I think it is 500k. However it may be prorated. If cut, u get only the days u played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT