ADVERTISEMENT

COVID19 Amish Community

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
Monday of this week I had an appointment scheduled with an Amish business client. A manufacturing business with 50-60 employees. I’d heard Covid was racing through the community and was apprehensive about going to the client’s business. I called early Monday morning to confirm the time. The son a co owner with his parents answered and we talked for a few minutes. He got quite and then told me both his parents in their late 70’s had the virus are were extremely ill. He said they weren’t going to the hospital and I argued with him that was crazy. He told me I shouldn’t come out as several employees also had the virus.

Last night I spoke to him again. They had relented and went to the doctor and also got tested. They tested positive. He went on to tell me about numerous Amish businesses in our Daviess/Martin community and the Covid cases. From the conversation I gathered the numbers are in the hundreds and most aren’t going to the doctor or hospital and not being tested.

He said they’ve decided to live their lives and the sick stay home until they feel better. I told him the sick staying home accomplishes nothing if the entire family doesn’t stay home. Long story short they’re continuing going to church and other social functions.

I guess we will find out in the next couple weeks how herd immunity works or doesn’t work.

I’d be lying if I didn’t say it scares me to death. My just widowed mother loved to get out and haul her Amish friends to town to shop and other activities. Me and my sister have told her she has to stop for now. It’s killing her to sit in her assisted living cottage all day.

Sorry for rambling. Just telling you guys what’s happening in small community close to Bloomington.

Monday of this week I had an appointment scheduled with an Amish business client. A manufacturing business with 50-60 employees. I’d heard Covid was racing through the community and was apprehensive about going to the client’s business. I called early Monday morning to confirm the time. The son a co owner with his parents answered and we talked for a few minutes. He got quite and then told me both his parents in their late 70’s had the virus are were extremely ill. He said they weren’t going to the hospital and I argued with him that was crazy. He told me I shouldn’t come out as several employees also had the virus.

Last night I spoke to him again. They had relented and went to the doctor and also got tested. They tested positive. He went on to tell me about numerous Amish businesses in our Daviess/Martin community and the Covid cases. From the conversation I gathered the numbers are in the hundreds and most aren’t going to the doctor or hospital and not being tested.

He said they’ve decided to live their lives and the sick stay home until they feel better. I told him the sick staying home accomplishes nothing if the entire family doesn’t stay home. Long story short they’re continuing going to church and other social functions.

I guess we will find out in the next couple weeks how herd immunity works or doesn’t work.

I’d be lying if I didn’t say it scares me to death. My just widowed mother loved to get out and haul her Amish friends to town to shop and other activities. Me and my sister have told her she has to stop for now. It’s killing her to sit in her assisted living cottage all day.

Sorry for rambling. Just telling you guys what’s happening in small community close to Bloomington.
Is Millers Shoes still open?

Stoll that's scary as hell.

I know many have been worried about a bad outbreak in a rural part of the country because the feeling that a small county hospital would easily get overrun....but damn yeah, an outbreak in a strict Amish community is awful.

Double yikes, be safe man.

Sending good thoughts your and your community's way.

Stoll that's scary as hell.

I know many have been worried about a bad outbreak in a rural part of the country because the feeling that a small county hospital would easily get overrun....but damn yeah, an outbreak in a strict Amish community is awful.

Double yikes, be safe man.

Thanks for caring. As I’ve found it’s easy to be brave until it hits hard all around you. My sister and I each have offices inside our largest client’s business. She prepared their payroll Monday and Tuesday. One of the office employees was home extremely sick today. My sis don’t think she had any contact directly but no way to know who all the women had contact with.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: stollcpa

Sounds like something you might want to share with the country health departments..... not just here.

That would be a tough gig to have in a community like that.

Exactly. These last few days I’ve probably alienated a few clients.

Not sure what the county health department can or will do. It’s too late. We’re going to be a case study in herd immunity.

Its been bad in Elkhart and Lagrange counties with Amish for several months. Like most things they think they are exempt from laws the rest of us follow. It's funny they wont go out with out a covering on their head but one on their face is a problem.

I feel for the Amish. I befriended a family at the farmers market over the last several years. Best blueberries I’ve ever had. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT