ADVERTISEMENT

Covid

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
For many months, I knew no one who caught covid. It was a bit surreal to see all the stories, all the pandemic response, all the precautions and not know anyone within any of my residential, work, friend or family circles who caught it. That changed late last fall and I certainly know lots of people now, though I will say that due to the precautions (including work from home, less travel, etc.), a lot of people who did catch it were under the radar a bit so it was still uncertain how prevalent it was in my circles. I'm curious if others are willing to share whether they got it and how meaningful the symptoms were. How big a deal was the actual virus to you or your immediate circle?

For many months, I knew no one who caught covid. It was a bit surreal to see all the stories, all the pandemic response, all the precautions and not know anyone within any of my residential, work, friend or family circles who caught it. That changed late last fall and I certainly know lots of people now, though I will say that due to the precautions (including work from home, less travel, etc.), a lot of people who did catch it were under the radar a bit so it was still uncertain how prevalent it was in my circles. I'm curious if others are willing to share whether they got it and how meaningful the symptoms were. How big a deal was the actual virus to you or your immediate circle?
None of my immediate family has had the virus (that we are aware of).
One of my good friends was pretty bad (o2 sat as low as 90). He's early forties in age. His mother ended up on vent.
My area was bad between Labor Day and a week or so before Christmas.
Less than 10 active cases now in county.

Eldest son had it and it hammered him pretty good for a week or so. Husband of one my wife's cousins died within a couple of weeks of catching it. He's the only one I know personally that has passed away. I know more that have had it.

got it last month (unclear how, was more adventurous but nobody I know and was interacting with got it) and gave it to the wife before I could tell I had it (quarantined once I had symptoms).

I had moderate fever, body aches and chills for two days followed by runny nose and cold (feed different than a normal one). Cough lasted a week to 10 days.

wife had similar symptoms, but less fever and more respiratory discomfort for two weeks or more.

kids didn’t test positive or show any symptoms

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
My sister had it in her LTC, literally at the time she got her first vaccination. She was ok, her roommate in the facility passed. I had a few friends with it, none bad. Some acquaintances passed.

I’m pretty sure my entire family of 6, both in laws, and my brother in law had it Feb 2020 and March 2020. We’ll never know for sure since there wasn’t testing then. Through the heart of the pandemic, the 9 of us never got covid, or even sick up until today. My father in laws mother died in the nursing home of covid in October. She was 99. I’ve had 2 uncles and an Aunt get it in the Fall. They all 3 did ok with it. My parents never had it. That’s pretty well my circle.

Nothing in my household or among close relatives or friends (that I'm aware of). Me and the battleax have behaved ourselves and followed the protocols closely. My workplace last year was very scrupulous about masking and distancing and cleaning. The only socializing I do to speak of is getting together with some similarly situated folks a couple times a week to shoot the shit and lend each other any needed moral support. We've all been on our best behavior as well, with masking and distancing and eschewing any physical contact.

Wife has had both shots and I'll get my second in a couple weeks, so I think we should be out home free. Good, too. This could have been debilitating if not fatal for either one of us.

Last edited:
None of my immediate family has had the virus (that we are aware of).
One of my good friends was pretty bad (o2 sat as low as 90). He's early forties in age. His mother ended up on vent.
My area was bad between Labor Day and a week or so before Christmas.
Less than 10 active cases now in county.
90 is not that low for someone with Covid. Sure it’s not a normal level for most people but someone that age (40s) will not be admitted just because of an O2 sat of 90.

90 is not that low for someone with Covid. Sure it’s not a normal level for most people but someone that age (40s) will not be admitted just because of an O2 sat of 90.
Per my ER doc buddy they’d give him an O2 tank and send him home with it. That was unheard of before COVID but they do it now to keep beds available.

My wife got it a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. Then I did and then my 6 year old son. All within a week of my wife first being diagnosed. I was in bed for 2 days. Very weak. Very tired. Had a painful cough for about a week. A low grade headache for about a week. That headache seems like a common factor with everyone I've talked too. It's not bad, it's just constant. For the most part I was fine after about 10 days. Would still get winded going upstairs for about a month though. My wife had a similar experience as mine. The 6 year old had a nasty cough for pretty much just 1 day. Then was completely fine. I feel very fortunate.

A dear friend of mines father just passed this past weekend of covid. He was only around 60. Not terrible health. 2 weeks in the hospital and gone.

Had two friends around 60 that were hospitalized, one was put on a vent. He was doing video chats on Facebook one day (he’s a standup comedian who hosts a quiz show), sounding bad, two days later he did a video from his hospital bed, next day he posted this: “I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.”

The next day after that he was put on a ventilator.

He was only on the ventilator about 5 days, but was in the hospital another week or so and then into a rehab facility to relearn how to walk and do other things. All told, he was in the hospital and rehab place for a month.

He’s been home for about two weeks now and is still recovering.

Difficulty breathing with an O2 sat of 90 is not great.
He wasn't admitted but it most definitely kicked his rear.

Wife got it: cough and fever for days
Daughter: felt bad for a couple of days
Me:: fever for days, then extreme shortness of breathe that led to 9 days in hospital (6 on optiflow in PCU). Triggered afib, which was treated with a cardiac ablation. Scan prior to ablation showed remaining "ground glass opacity" still.
Whole ordeal started right before Christmas. Just now getting to feeling better, but still short of breath every now and then.

I have a friend from high school who was hospitalized for over 150 days, which included ventilator, a coma, and rehab. I've also known a few people who have passed away, including a husband and wife who both died within a day of each other, leaving behind a 10 year old daughter.

Nobody in my direct family.... but have had several close friends that had it last spring and summer. I was sick in early March last year, but never tested. So who knows.

Had a couple older acquaintances (60s) get pretty badly ill and end up in ICU. Both fortunately recovered... eventually. But was a long ordeal and I'm not sure they'll ever be 100%

i know quite a few people that had covid. my entire family. kid was fine in a day. i felt like shit for three days (like the flu) then had a lingering cough. this seemed on par with most of the folks i know.

Interesting stats and fodder for both sides on our response. in retrospect i think fla had it right. i presume there's some overlap between heart disease (2x as many) and covid, but also surprised to see how many unintentional deaths there were - car crashes are only about 40,000. seems as though some were just really unlucky; but our poor health/diets contributed to our outcomes which is in keeping with heart disease as well.

as an aside i read today we eclipsed 25% of the pop has received at least one dose of vacc. just need to keep it going.

Last edited:
I've had it 3 times. First time, I ran into a tree with my quad, wen to the ER for back pain. They ended up saying it was Covid. I healed and thought that wasn't to bad, headache and body hurt. Then, I cut my the end of my finger off doing a wood project. Back to the ER and.. ye, it was Covid. pain Symptoms seemed to be much more localized but took about 8 weeks to recover. The last time I had it, I went in for my colonoscopy. They found 3 polyps, removed them and i'll be damned. It was Covid again. This last one was a major pain in the Arse.

I've had it 3 times. First time, I ran into a tree with my quad, wen to the ER for back pain. They ended up saying it was Covid. I healed and thought that wasn't to bad, headache and body hurt. Then, I cut my the end of my finger off doing a wood project. Back to the ER and.. ye, it was Covid. pain Symptoms seemed to be much more localized but took about 8 weeks to recover. The last time I had it, I went in for my colonoscopy. They found 3 polyps, removed them and i'll be damned. It was Covid again. This last one was a major pain in the Arse.
tenor.gif

My wife and I had it around Thanksgiving. Low grade fever, a few aches and chills, nothing terrible. If I had to, I could have gone to work (I didn't, obviously). My son, who plays football in high school, I believe had it a couple of weeks before us, just as sectionals were starting. Never got tested (nor did wife or I), but all 3 of us tested positive for the antibodies in January. I do believe many of the football team probably had it, but kept it to themselves. I know, bad parenting.

Traffic in the last few weeks has really picked up. Almost to pre Covid levels. Companies must be bringing people back to the office

Traffic in the last few weeks has really picked up. Almost to pre Covid levels. Companies must be bringing people back to the office

I have noticed a lot more traffic in little old Bloomington. Restaurants are crowded, I can often see lines. I went to Kroger yesterday to buy stamps, I noticed 4 people without masks. I get that they were all older than me and I am sure have had the shot, but it clearly shows Kroger isn't enforcing the rules beyond a sign on the door. Some states have had decent increases in cases, PA has gone up 12 cases/100,000 in the last two weeks. https://www.covidactnow.org/us/pennsylvania-pa/?s=1723645

I get people want to be freed of COVID. But we aren't running through the finish line.

I have noticed a lot more traffic in little old Bloomington. Restaurants are crowded, I can often see lines. I went to Kroger yesterday to buy stamps, I noticed 4 people without masks. I get that they were all older than me and I am sure have had the shot, but it clearly shows Kroger isn't enforcing the rules beyond a sign on the door. Some states have had decent increases in cases, PA has gone up 12 cases/100,000 in the last two weeks. https://www.covidactnow.org/us/pennsylvania-pa/?s=1723645

I get people want to be freed of COVID. But we aren't running through the finish line.
You know the masks drive me nuts. I think their benefits are overhyped and politicized but who gives a shit. Slap one on; they’re nothing to wear and if they provide 1 percent benefit that’s worth it. If the guy at target can wear it for 8 hours I can wear it for 20 mins.

My wife and I tested positive in November. The only symptoms we experienced were about three days of a complete loss of taste and smell. Other than that, we were fine. Hell, I even worked out multiple times while we were stuck at home isolating ourselves.

I've been voluntarily coming in to the office since May of last year. The amount of rush hour traffic on 465 east has noticeably ticked up in the last few months.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT