ADVERTISEMENT

COVID relief

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
We need a bill, and the GOP proposal is too small. The Democratic proposal is too big.

The $1400 needs targeted. Paying someone who makes $75,000 and has had no job interruption is not needed.

Money for schools is good but too much. By the time that money gets to schools, the school year will just about be over. Next school year we will be back to mostly normal.

Money for states and cities is needed, again cut. 32 Republican mayor's favor the money because they know there are problems https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/real-gop-mayors-embrace-bidens-080012484.html

My concern is that we need infrastructure and the bigger this bill is the more unlikely any infrastructure is. Trim this to a trillion and do a trillion in infrastructure. Just about the same money but targeted to what we need.

We need a bill, and the GOP proposal is too small. The Democratic proposal is too big.

The $1400 needs targeted. Paying someone who makes $75,000 and has had no job interruption is not needed.

Money for schools is good but too much. By the time that money gets to schools, the school year will just about be over. Next school year we will be back to mostly normal.

Money for states and cities is needed, again cut. 32 Republican mayor's favor the money because they know there are problems https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/real-gop-mayors-embrace-bidens-080012484.html

My concern is that we need infrastructure and the bigger this bill is the more unlikely any infrastructure is. Trim this to a trillion and do a trillion in infrastructure. Just about the same money but targeted to what we need.
tenor.gif

This is sickening!! This country will be a shell of its former self in 10 years.

We've got a weak little man leading, GD!!!!

Reactions: brebelle3

Remember when we conservatives were all told that Joe B is the centrist we need? I hope you’re right - because right now it seems he’s a feeble old man doing the bidding of the Squad-like part of the Left and that’s precisely why I couldn’t vote for him.

Remember when we conservatives were all told that Joe B is the centrist we need? I hope you’re right - because right now it seems he’s a feeble old man doing the bidding of the Squad-like part of the Left and that’s precisely why I couldn’t vote for him.
He must be doing something right. The Squad thinks he's a sellout.

Well said. They’re are very few people in our community that needed either of the stimulus checks. The Amish for the most part are sending theirs back. It’s one hell of a problem to give the checks back.

There’s no question there are people hurting that need help. Effort should be given to identify them and funnel the stimulus to them.

The PPP program is a joke. I tried to have a serious discussion with a high priced attorney in Indy whether my client should apply for the PPP. He laughed and said many of their business clients are having the best years in their history and he told them they’ve paid taxes so get the free money.

So what is your Goldilocks amount and how do you arrive at that?

No argument. I'd actually give more to the neediest and phase it out quicker.

I'd be okay with schools getting help upgrading their HVAC systems for better air transfer and ventilation, but not for general operations. It's not like property tax revenue dropped.

I'm okay with subsidizing state and local budgets with a one time infusion to make up for shortfalls. I'd like to see that done on a contingency basis. The shortfalls should be documented.

An infrastructure bill should not be part of Covid relief. That should stand on its own.

One thing you didn't specifically mention was unemployment funds. That's about as targeted as you can get, and needs to be a reasonable amount. I made out well on the $600; I think the $400 they're talking about is about right. Yes, I know one size doesn't fit all.

Also, running a minimum wage increase through Covid relief is bogus. That too should stand on its own. I get that the Dems are trying to get as much into this budget reconciliation bill as they can to avoid having to deal with a Republican filibuster, but a line needs to be drawn. If you don't want to deal with a filibuster, then do away with it. Of course, that hands the reins of power over to Manchin and Sinema.

Last edited:
Well said. They’re are very few people in our community that needed either of the stimulus checks. The Amish for the most part are sending theirs back. It’s one hell of a problem to give the checks back.
Stoll, I think that's a very noble gesture, and I did grin at the thought of the red tape involved in trying to give the money back to the federal government. I'm sure this was considered, but why didn't they just cash the checks and donate the money to a cause or person? That way, the money would get into the hands of someone who did need it without a middle man?
Just wondering.

Reactions: stollcpa

So what is your Goldilocks amount and how do you arrive at that?

No argument. I'd actually give more to the neediest and phase it out quicker.

I'd be okay with schools getting help upgrading their HVAC systems for better air transfer and ventilation, but not for general operations. It's not like property tax revenue dropped.

I'm okay with subsidizing state and local budgets with a one time infusion to make up for shortfalls. I'd like to see that done on a contingency basis. The shortfalls should be documented.

And infrastructure bill should not be part of Covid relief. That should stand on its own.

One thing you didn't specifically mention was unemployment funds. That's about as targeted as you can get, and needs to be a reasonable amount. I made out well on the $600; I think the $400 they're talking about is about right. Yes, I know one size doesn't fit all.

Also, running a minimum wage increase through Covid relief is bogus. That too should stand on its own. I get that the Dems are trying to get as much into this budget reconciliation bill as they can to avoid having to deal with a Republican filibuster, but a line needs to be drawn. If you don't want to deal with a filibuster, then do away with it. Of course, that hands the reins of power over to Manchin and Sinema.

I hate doing multi quotes from the phone, so..

I haven't run specific numbers. But the $1400 largely should be totally redirected to unemployment or other emergency assistance. I stand to make $2800 from that. I would use that to do remodeling but there are people who need it. Need should be priority.

I doubt the amount for state and local is entirely needed. I am no expert but I suspect they can get by with less.

As to schools, any direct costs of COVID should be dealt with. Maybe not dollar for dollar, maybe so. I would need to see expert numbers. Schools had to pay to upgrade video capability. If any schools had COVID testing they paid for, at least some of that covered. Did schools have to hire extra help? Maybe some of the cleaning.

I like the minimum wage increase but not as part of this. I really really really wish they could get the GOP to $12 and do that.

Unemployment assistance is $300 extra now? $300 or $400 is fine, duration may be a problem to figure out.

I think the COVID bill should be for economic pain due to COVID. Any stimulus, the $1400 for example, should be in an infrastructure bill. I think 1) we need infrastructure 2) it provides better, longer lasting stimulus. Right now I want more in infrastructure but I know Democrats ran on this bill, not that one. $1 trillion each sounds good.

If (huge if) rumors of inflation are true, we do not want to over do this bill. I am skep to

I hate doing multi quotes from the phone, so..

I haven't run specific numbers. But the $1400 largely should be totally redirected to unemployment or other emergency assistance. I stand to make $2800 from that. I would use that to do remodeling but there are people who need it. Need should be priority.

I doubt the amount for state and local is entirely needed. I am no expert but I suspect they can get by with less.

As to schools, any direct costs of COVID should be dealt with. Maybe not dollar for dollar, maybe so. I would need to see expert numbers. Schools had to pay to upgrade video capability. If any schools had COVID testing they paid for, at least some of that covered. Did schools have to hire extra help? Maybe some of the cleaning.

I like the minimum wage increase but not as part of this. I really really really wish they could get the GOP to $12 and do that.

Unemployment assistance is $300 extra now? $300 or $400 is fine, duration may be a problem to figure out.

I think the COVID bill should be for economic pain due to COVID. Any stimulus, the $1400 for example, should be in an infrastructure bill. I think 1) we need infrastructure 2) it provides better, longer lasting stimulus. Right now I want more in infrastructure but I know Democrats ran on this bill, not that one. $1 trillion each sounds good.

If (huge if) rumors of inflation are true, we do not want to over do this bill. I am skep to
1. Inflation issue is big
2. At some point a reckoning will occur re whether goat is right about debt

There’s no question there are people hurting that need help. Effort should be given to identify them and funnel the stimulus to them.

The PPP program is a joke. I tried to have a serious discussion with a high priced attorney in Indy whether my client should apply for the PPP. He laughed and said many of their business clients are having the best years in their history and he told them they’ve paid taxes so get the free money.
That is great that they do that. I wish I had that much conviction, but if someone hands me free legal money I am going to take it

We ended up getting some home repairs with the first money. That money must have worked, finding someone to come out was difficult. I had three groups recommended to me from people who know. 1 never called me back, the other two were, "we have never been this busy, we can get there sometime". It was December before one could get here, a long way from that first check that we received.

Did any of your clients receive the stimulus via debit card rather than check or direct deposit? I was surprised when mine came by debit card.

We ended up getting some home repairs with the first money. That money must have worked, finding someone to come out was difficult. I had three groups recommended to me from people who know.
I know a couple guys. I had a water line break last spring and ended up getting the whole bathroom redone. These guys do very good work at a reasonable price. It took them a while to get to us but they knocked it out in short order once they started. They're off the grid so to speak but I'd still recommend them highly. If you pay them in actual greenbacks they're even more reasonable.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

totally agree that the cutoff should be considerably less than $75,000.

that said, if the stimulus checks are properly targeted at those who need the money, then the money will circulate almost immediately for much of it, and with the velocity of money, will all make it's way back to where it came from, plus more due to the velocity thing, so in the long run the checks should make for more money for infrastructure, not less.

I know a couple guys. I had a water line break last spring and ended up getting the whole bathroom redone. These guys do very good work at a reasonable price. It took them a while to get to us but they knocked it out in short order once they started. They're off the grid so to speak but I'd still recommend them highly. If you pay them in actual greenbacks they're even more reasonable.
My old neighborhood had a handy man that we’d call. Cash only. All the neighbors used him. Guy was pulling in six figures. He was about 6’6 and became a country singer. Wild Bill Young

My old neighborhood had a handy man that we’d call. Cash only. All the neighbors used him. Guy was pulling in six figures. He was about 6’6 and became a country singer. Wild Bill Young
Well Wild Bills life sounds like a country song so at least it’s honest.

Well Wild Bills life sounds like a country song so at least it’s honest.
Lol. true. He actually would take checks but you got a better deal if you paid cash. So everyone did. He had about four big neighborhoods that kept him and his crew humming. 6’6 and wore a cowboy hat.

That is great that they do that. I wish I had that much conviction, but if someone hands me free legal money I am going to take it

We ended up getting some home repairs with the first money. That money must have worked, finding someone to come out was difficult. I had three groups recommended to me from people who know. 1 never called me back, the other two were, "we have never been this busy, we can get there sometime". It was December before one could get here, a long way from that first check that we received.

My construction clients had record years. I can understand your difficulty in getting work done. The price of building materials are through the roof.

Stoll, I think that's a very noble gesture, and I did grin at the thought of the red tape involved in trying to give the money back to the federal government. I'm sure this was considered, but why didn't they just cash the checks and donate the money to a cause or person? That way, the money would get into the hands of someone who did need it without a middle man?
Just wondering.

Amazing you say that. I suggested the same thing. I’ve spent 38 years not getting sideways with the Amish Bishops so I didn’t get very aggressive in pushing the idea. Basically the Bishops believe they shouldn’t accept government handouts as part of their exemption from paying Self Employment tax. This exemption also precludes the Amish from collecting social security benefits.

Amazing you say that. I suggested the same thing. I’ve spent 38 years not getting sideways with the Amish Bishops so I didn’t get very aggressive in pushing the idea. Basically the Bishops believe they shouldn’t accept government handouts as part of their exemption from paying Self Employment tax. This exemption also precludes the Amish from collecting social security benefits.
I knew there had to be a reason.

Did any of your clients receive the stimulus via debit card rather than check or direct deposit? I was surprised when mine came by debit card.
Does the IRS have your bank info? If not that might explain it.

Lol. true. He actually would take checks but you got a better deal if you paid cash. So everyone did. He had about four big neighborhoods that kept him and his crew humming. 6’6 and wore a cowboy hat.
A man's man

I would hope they could just ignore or even burn the fed checks and debit cards without having to "return" them. I don't see how anyone could claim they had received the money if it didn't show up in their bank accounts.
I can only assume a guy like you paid or reported the household employees tax, right?

I would hope they could just ignore or even burn the fed checks and debit cards without having to "return" them. I don't see how anyone could claim they had received the money if it didn't show up in their bank accounts.

I can only assume a guy like you paid or reported the household employees tax, right?
not a household employee. doesn't apply to IC repairmen, plumbers, contractors etc. plus there's a threshold before it kicks in. around a couple thousand bucks.

You’re welcome. I actually have clients adhering to these rules. I’d say the vast majorit
This guy would come by and do quick and dirty repairs or garbage removal whatever for a few hundred bucks. All over our neighborhoods. A true handyman. We loved him. Then he became wild bill young the country singer lol and left

not a household employee. doesn't apply to IC repairmen, plumbers, contractors etc. plus there's a threshold before it kicks in. around a couple thousand bucks.
No doubt you are correct, but this is the shit that makes people hate the tax system.

A guy with a professional name can do major repair jobs on multiple building with no tax consequences but little Susy or Johnny have tax consequences when they babysit or mow the neighbors' yards. I'm still lying low for all those koolade stands as a kid.

A guy with a professional name can do major repair jobs on multiple building with no tax consequences but little Susy or Johnny have tax consequences when they babysit or mow the neighbors' yards. I'm still lying low for all those koolade stands as a kid.
The underground economy has always been with us. Call them tax cheats or whatever you wish. Meanwhile, billionaires pay $750 in Federal income tax. Methinks the problem lies there, rather than with the handymen and babysitters.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The underground economy has always been with us. Call them tax cheats or whatever you wish. Meanwhile, billionaires pay $750 in Federal income tax. Methinks the problem lies there, rather than with the handymen and babysitters.
No no no not me. I see no cheating.

No no no not me. I see no cheating.
Understood. I wasn't clear. I was tagging along with your post, not taking issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT